Start by marking “American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes” as Want to Read:
American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes

American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes (American Gods #1-2)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,320 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Neil Gaiman sait redonner aux légendes établies un souffle nouveau. Celui qui, dans une nouvelle éblouissante, a osé présenter Blanche-Neige comme une criminelle sadique, se permet, dans American Gods, de mêler mythologie et conflits de l'Amérique d'aujourd'hui...
Quand les anciens dieux se sont installés en Amérique, amenés par de hardis navigateurs puis par les vagues s
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about American Gods / Anansi Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Gods / Anansi Boys

J.
American Gods

You know, I think I love Neil Gaiman in theory more than anything else. And how could you not? He is immensely imaginative and quite witty. That being said, I feel like I was supposed to like this book more than I actually did.

The premise is great: The old gods of mythology are rising up for a war with the newer American Gods (such as Technical Boy who is the god of computers and the internet, and Media who oversees television); those that are representative of more modern
Ryan
Aug 13, 2012 Ryan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So, I've just finished American Gods. Boy did it take a long time, but it was worth it. It's a slightly confusing book, I admit, with more than a couple slow parts, but when it gets fast, and when things start coming together, well... Let's just say you don't mind that the wall behind you is now plastered with your brains.

It's really two stories mixed together. The first is the story of Shadow and Wednesday. Shadow just got out of prison and is "hired" on as Wednesday's driver. Wednesday is tryi
Rikke
First of all; this edition is gorgeous - and filled with lovely details. With richly illustrated endpapers, shiny silver edges, a ribbon silk bookmark and a very symbolic cover design, it is a treasure for every Neil Gaiman fan and every admirer of beautiful books in general. I am so happy to display it on my shelf.

Of course the two novels it contains are gorgeously crafted as well. Neil Gaiman truly is a wizard, and every word he writes is filled with magic. I especially like how these two nove
Melissa Sodano
American Gods is Gaiman's magnum opus. Even when you consider the Sandman graphic novel series, American Gods stands out above the rest. And I don't mean just for Neil Gaiman books. American Gods is easily one of my top ten books of all time. I feel like that says something considering I have been a bookseller for almost 11 years, and read close to 100 books per year. Anansi Boys is a stellar sequel, and to have the two in a single collector's volume is very exciting.
James
I have no idea why it has taken me this long to discover Gaiman. American Gods has been one of the best stories I've read in a very long time; it's a delightly tapestry of myths and folklore wrapped around a fast paced thriller. Anansi's Boys made for an excellent followup and the writing and characters reminded me very much of the ones Douglas Adams wrote: charming, witty, and fun. Highly recommended.
Kkraemer
Neil Gaiman describes Anansi Boys (the only one I have read as yet) as "…a magical-horror-thriller-ghost-romantic-comedy-family-epic, although that leaves out the detective bits and much of the food." It also leaves out the fact that it is laugh out loud funny.

Fat Charley is an average, low profile sort of guy with a fiancee who is saving herself for marriage, a future mother in law who is a horror show, and a bureaucratic sort of job with an awful boss…one of those egotistical, ignorant sorts w
Marina Safronova
Такие произведения опровергают "правило первых пятидесяти страниц": мол, если первые 50 страниц книги не понравились - бросай. Не надо, дальше начинается все самое интересное!
Американские боги увлекли запутанностью сюжета. Хочется узнать, что же такое творится в этом мире, но нет, Гейман не рассказывает почти до самого конца. И такое ощущение, что ты читаешь непонятно зачем. Однако, чтение увлекает. В конце паззл складывается, и ты понимаешь, что каждый кусочек был нужен для целостности картины.
Schon
Jan 21, 2014 Schon rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: hated
This morning I woke up to find out my brother’s dog had ripped my copy of this book to shreds, but I’m not even mad about it. I had been thinking that I wasn’t going to finish this book, but not because the writing was bad. Just because there were a few things that squiked me and made me think that this was another racist media representation of Native Americans. Just a heads up, I only got about 200 pages in before my brother’s dog did me a favor and killed it for me, but here are the things I ...more
Carlos Emilio
I finally finished American Gods (Anansi Boys will have to wait) and this book has done nothing but reinforce my live for Gaiman's writting.
Urban fantasy or whatever you want to call it is incredibly well depicted and traversed in this book. Old gods and new vices mix beautifully together to bring to life a world that we already know and give it a secret life we had never imagined, or at I least I had never.
The story is so over the top and at the same time so feascible in the world Gaiman has cr
Brad Johnson
The first part of the book, American Gods is one of my all-time favorite stories. Bringing the myriad pantheons of gods and goddesses from the past to the present is fascinating in and of itself. The moodiness of the story and the epic qualities initially hidden behind the common fit so perfectly.

The second part, Anansi Boys, was IMHO not a worthy follow-up to such a wonderful modern day epic. It took a smaller approach. It looks at one person and their relation to the divine. It has more of a s
Amcii Cullum
I loved these both. American Gods is for everyone. If you haven't read it or anything by Neil Gaiman, get this book and read it asap. I just finished Anasai Boys yesterday and it was quite entertaining and surreal. I love everything I've read by Gaiman so far, but he still manages to wow me with each new work I pick up that he wrote.
Gail Baugniet
This is the first Neil Gaiman novel I've read, which shows you how slow I am. I first became aware of his writing while reading a comment by the Query Shark on her site.

I was struck by the similarity between his writing and that of Stephen King's in the Dark Tower series. It had me wondering who had influenced whom.

Shadow, the unwitting protagonist in American Gods, held me captive throughout the novel. His method of handling adversity is a lesson for all mankind, though I hope no one has to end
Mark Berger
I loved it! I read American Gods in a different volume, but it was quite good. I just finished Anansi Boys, and I think I loved it even a little more ... perhaps because of the very British-ness of the protagonist. Anansi Boys reminded me a great deal, in some of the tone, of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series, with a lot of the same sort of sarcastic lamentation that I remember from Arthur Dent coming instead from Charles Nancy. It was also interesting to read a book wherein the viewpoint ...more
Isabell Melvin
One of my favourite books by far. Love the fact that the plot line non-linear and how the stories that Gaiman breaks away to between the chapters of the main story-line ties in together at the end.
Shelly Smith
i cant speak highly enough of Neil Gaiman! These two stories re-imagine the gods that came to the US before the rest of us - the act of forgetting is enough to get them all killed!
Susan
I don't even know what to think about this book. Neil Gaiman has a vivid imagination. The main theme of the book was obvious, and I think I understood the point of the novel. The whole novel was like some crazy dream where you are never sure of what was going on. I was just happy he wrapped up a major storyline at the end of the book. I won't give away spoilers though I don't know if it is possible to spoil this novel because if I tried to explain the plot, it would be like telling the details o ...more
Joanne Seitz
Lots of fun and completely engaging.
Mel Munyua
i drank the Kool-aid and i loved it
Even
Interesting idea adroitly executed
Camilo Guerra
Gaiman nunca me ha defraudado, y aqui,vuelve a cumplir, con otro libro que nos habla de mitos, historias y dioses, aunque aca no se hace un trabajo a profundidad como en Sandman y se deja la formalidad de American Gods, el sr Gaiman cuenta la historia de dos hermanos, hijos de Anansi, entre peleas contra cuanta ave se cruza, un dios Jaguar loco,una novia que quiere llegar virgen al matrimonio...se me hizo corto,porque lo disfrute mucho.
C. Patrick
I saw it suggested somewhere that "American Gods" was "Percy Jackson" for adults. Fair enough, this story did not rush but nor did it drag, and Gaiman writes with a prose that at times reminded me of Bradbury. There is also a long "road trip" element to this story that I enjoyed. Recommended to those who like stories penetrated by mythology (much of which will be unknown, and perhaps entirely invented in many cases, hard to know).
Jody
This is Niel Gaimans best book in a while. He weaves an interesting story combining old world storytelling, fantasy and British wit that he is known for. The main character is a little hard to like but I think it is because it is how we would react to extraordinary things. His humor is still sharp and tells a real story that flows and too soon it is over.
Jesse
Two excellent books that I have already reviewed separately so check those reviews out for reviews of there respective stories. This is mainly so I can say what a fine and beautiful edition of these books this is. The cover is nice, with little pictures representing small bits of the books. Its a really nice way to keep these amazing books in your home forever.
Rafael
American Gods' pace rather slow, although I really enjoyed that because it enriches the world(s) and their conditions Gaiman sets up for the reader. The epilogue is beautiful and necessary because I found the conclusion of the climax to be a bit of a dud.

I am working on Anansi Boys now but will edit this post once I finish.
Patience Blythe
Apr 22, 2008 Patience Blythe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I read this book on the bus to and from Central Mexico and it was a perfect book to read when one transverses worlds, when one goes from one reality to the next. Although a bit comic booky at times, I really enjoyed all the Gods' descriptions. You could really see what they looked like in our world and in theirs. I loved it!
Smaug
Aug 07, 2015 Smaug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-and-unread
I CAN'T BELIEVE I FOUND A NEW COPY OF THIS. I THOUGHT IT WAS OUT OF PRINT!! YAY FOR HAVING FOUND IT NORMAL PRICE AND BRAND SPANKING NEW :D
Alec Aguilar
A fantastic, fascinating book from my favorite author. This story and these characters will likely live on in my mind for some time to come. It came with a very satisfying ending that, at the same time, had me yearning for more.
Josh Harms
The only Gaiman I had read before this was Stardust.

American Gods and Anansi Boys were both very different from one another, but both amazing! I will probably read more Neil Gaiman in the future.
Deepa
one of the best books by the one of the best writers i have ever come across. refreshing, clever, funny and dark. i love this sotry and the characters he creates.

thanks to tracey for the rec!

German Tamayo
some times you feel traveling as a shadow of Shadow. what a incredible book.
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics)
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • The Constitution of the United States of America and Selected Writings of the Founding Fathers.
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • The Complete Fiction
  • The Art of War and Other Classics of Eastern Thought
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • The Seed & Other Fairy Tales
  • Age of Anansi
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Seamstress of Hollywood Boulevard
  • Seven Novels
  • Fairy Tales From Around the World
  • Treasury of American Poetry
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)

American Gods (2 books)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Anansi Boys (American Gods, #2)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane