Start by marking “Darby” as Want to Read:

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Darby's first-person narrative is frank and immediate . . . expressing what it's like for an ordinary white kid who suddenly discovers evil — and courage — where she lives." — BOOKLIST

A Book Sense 76 Top Ten Pick

A National Council for the Social Studies Notable Trade Book for Young People

An International Reading Association Notable Book

"The root of this work stems from a
Published September 12th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Darby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darby

Tenille Shade
I purchased this book over a year ago while I was taking an online graduate course on multicultural literature. Unfortunately, I never got around to reading it until my 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Barnes, sent it to me in the mail for my birthday.

Darby's story of growing up in Marlboro, South Carolina during the 1920's was heartfelt and sincere. It took me a while to get into the story, but after a few chapters I was hooked. Jonathon Fuqua's use of colloquialisms and local vernacular made me feel li
Alveera EVHS Khan
Darby was extremely eye opening because it shows discrimination from an innocent child's eyes. I always think of racism as a horrible thing and wonder how white people in the early 1900s could have been so cruel to the African American workers. Now I realize why nobody took a stand. You can see Darby always assumed that discrimination is just the way it is because none of the African American people complained and nobody really questioned its existence. It was completely normal to her because sh ...more
Mishal
The book wasn't worth reading in my opinion
Charlyn  Trussell
Author Fugua bases this book on oral history interviews of folks living in Marlboro County, South Carolina. It is 1926 and Darby lives with an extended family on a large plantation now farmed by black tenant farmers. Her father runs a store in town where he allows people to sign for supplies for which they cannot pay. Although Darby lives in a majestic, large home, the paint is peeling on the outside and everyone in the family works to make ends meet. Darby has two best friends: schoolmate Beth ...more
TeenFiction Teton County Library
Teton County Library Call #: YA FUQUA
No rating

This book was described to me as "To Kill a Mockingbird," for younger readers. It does a great job of introducing readers to the injustices of racial prejudice, but ends on a much lighter note than the previously mentioned classic. In addition, the author makes a special note that he has chosen to leave out historical (and now considered perjorative) terms in a conscous effort to deter derogatory language for younger readers.

Taking place in South Ca
Darby Andrews
Why yes, my name IS the title of this book. My grandma picked it up for me thinking it'd be cute for me because of my name being the title and all. I just let it sit on my shelf forever because I wasn't interested. I did finally read it and felt like kicking myself for ignoring this lovely book for so long. A nice, quick, easy read, and I felt like her enthusiasm for writing was just too adorable for words.
Shannon
It felt quite juvenile to me, and I know that might not be a fair argument considering it was likely written for a younger audience...but I felt like the book's plot was a huge run-on sentence. I didn't feel an attachment to the characters, and it felt like I was listening to a seven-year-old's summer vacation essay. Didn't enjoy the experience.
Traci
This is a phenomenal book about a young girl, circa 1920's South Carolina. She begins to write newspaper articles at the idea of her young black friend. Her articles go from simple to controversial quickly, without her understanding why. Darby, her family and friends all have a new outlook on life when the KKK makes themselves known to the community, through cowardly actions not conversation. A part of US history that I think is overlooked by many teachers until our children are too old. Could e ...more
Amy Carr
What an unexpected book! One of you out there in Good Reads land posted this on your "to-read" list and I added to mine and had the chance to read it this week. It is a beautiful story! I loved it. This is a book that I wish I had when I was teaching US history in 5th grade. It does an eloquent job of describing some of the attitudes and challenges facing many rural communities in the early 1900's as they dealt with issues of race and discrimination. But most of all, it demonstrates the power fo ...more
Katrina
Oct 22, 2010 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A Gentle Read for 9-12 Year Olds
A better rating would be 3.5 stars but that's not an option so there we are. I appreciated the authenticity of Darby's voice. That isn't something you always get from and adult male author. I also liked how the issue of racism was addressed. Because it was told through a 9 year olds voice, there wasn't a real heavy handed or self-righteous message.
This book lost half a star because I didn't find it to be particularly gripping. It would be a good addition to a booklist for a fourth or fifth grade
Sabrina
Oct 08, 2010 Sabrina is currently reading it
in my book this girl named darby lives on a farm and is friends with a black girl. but someitmes her parents and other people think its strange. well then this boy dies from being beaten she is scared because she thinks that her nieghbor did it. one night when she is driving home with her dad a man stops them and she listens to them talking. she hears them tlaking about the klu klux klan and she gets really scared. but the next day is her birthday and she isnt worried so much anymore.
Michele
This is a great read. I found myself not wanting to put the book down...even though it is a children's book. I agree with you, Tenille, this would be a great book to compare/contrast to Ruby Bridges. Darby had such a sweet and innocent spirit about her. I loved the way the newspaper editor took a chance by running her article in the paper. He knew it would stir up controversy, but he did it anyway.
Dee
Nov 01, 2008 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All people young and old alike.
Shelves: young-adult
Once again, if we pay attention we can learn a lot from kids.
This was a great YA book. Darby is a fictional character based on a series of oral history interviews conducted in Marlboro County, South Carolina. The year of the story took place in 1926. It asked the often asked question "Why can't we all just be nice to each other?" I especially loved the dialogue between the children.
Emily
I really enjoyed this story, it was a sort of To Kill a Mockingbird for children. I loved Darby's voice, the author really created great voices for each of the characters. It was beautiful in it's simplicity; a 9 year old girl experiences the effects of writing innocently about civil rights in her town newspaper in the 1920's south.
Sheila
Anyone who loved To Kill A Mockingbird should read Darby! Readers will fall in love with the nine year old that writes articles for the small town newspaper in 1926. When Darby sees injustice and writes about it one instantly sees that not all people seek the truth.
Jessica
Fiction perfect for ages 6+. I had a great time reading this to my kids. It brought up great topics for discussion (racism, gender roles), but was told in a really compelling, fun way. I especially loved that the 9 year old main character sounded just a like a 9 year old.
Darby
I loved this book! No it is not because my name is Darby( though that's why I read the book). I loved how it showed how Darby really stood up for her friend. It was an awesome historical fiction book.
Lu
This is a young adult book that takes place in the mid eighteen hundreds in the south on a plantation. A beautiful story of two girls who see beyond the color of their skin to form a lasting friendship.
Valerie
This book was really wonderful. I loved the story and how it was written. It takes a sensitive subject and puts it into perspective through an enlightened child. Very heartwarming.

Bethany
This is like a milder and more child-friendly version of To Kill a Mockingbird. It's good, but I'd rather read Harper Lee's book.
Pamelaredd Anderson
This was a very well written young adult/children's book. Again, it was all about standing up for the right thing. I read this shortly after the Help.
Kate Hastings
GR 4-8. RL 790. Darby writes articles for her town's newspaper and brings controversy as she works with her best friend, an African-American.
Melinda
What a great book. This is one I think everyone should read. It's about equality through the eyes of a child. I loved it!
Lauren!
It was amazing, I love this book! Just finished! It really deserves 5 stars!
Claire
it is a cute book i recomend to someone in 3 or 4 grade
Lisa
A child's view is so simple and honest.
Cws
JAR4-Fuq
Nurul Aini
Nurul Aini marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Edwina Putney
Edwina Putney marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
  • The Hope Chest
  • A Difficult Boy
  • Lincoln and His Boys
  • The Hallelujah Flight
  • Ruth and the Green Book
  • Part of Me: Stories of a Louisiana Family
  • Operation Storm City (The Guild of Specialists, #3)
  • 1001 Cranes
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Cheesie Mack Is Not a Genius or Anything
  • Just Grace and the Terrible Tutu (Just Grace, #6)
  • Silk Umbrellas
  • Hero on a Bicycle
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • The Bears' House
  • A House of Tailors
Jonathon Scott Fuqua has written the highly praised and Alex Award-winning novel, The Reappearance of Sam Webber, as well as the critically acclaimed and recently published book, Gone and Back Again.

He is also the author of three much lauded, award-winning young adult novels: King of the Pygmies, DARBY, and The Willoughby Spit Wonder.

For teenagers and adults, he penned a groundbreaking graphic no
More about Jonathon Scott Fuqua...
King of the Pygmies In the Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe The Reappearance of Sam Webber Gone and Back Again The Willoughby Spit Wonder