Start by marking “Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)” as Want to Read:
Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)

Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,913 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
No one understands thirteen-year-old Anastasia Krupnik, least of all her parents and her little brother, Sam, who happens to be a genius. They're such an embarrassment. Why can't they be normal, like Anastasia?

Then presto! Anastasia realizes that she has the problem--not her relatives--and she must find help immediately. There's not a moment to lose.

Though her parents insi
Published June 1st 1985 by Yearling Books (first published 1984)

Jessica
Nov 15, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: precocious children who desire analysis
Okay, this cover is horrible but THESE ARE THE BEST BOOKS EVER.

Anastasia is hilarious. These books are great. Anastasia's parents are these messy, absent-minded, vaguely bohemian intellectual types, and everything that happens in these books is completely hysterical. This is the one in which Anastasia becomes obsessed with Sigmund Freud, and irritates the hell out of her wonderful family. I can relate to these situations! Also good is the one where Anastasia goes to modeling school. Actually, th
Jeremy
Mar 04, 2008 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2008
I needed a fast, good read to help me catch back up in my year's reading goals, and this one did it. It was nice to revisit some of the stories I loved when I was younger and had fewer concerns of the world. Lois Lowry wrote these books in such a way that they are timeless to me - I dont' get tired of Nikky Coletti's teeth-marks, and the gerbils gerbils gerbils everywhere, and Anastasia talking to a bust of Freud. Ms. Lowry made a very nice home with the Krupniks and I love to visit it, yes I do ...more
Elise
Jun 02, 2017 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story with an easy read. Definitely more adult than I expected (I wouldn't let kids under 12 read this...), with a fair amount of talk about things like sex.
Heather
This is the fourth Anastasia Krupnik book, and, like the third one, I'm pretty sure it's one that I read as a kid, though there was a lot I didn't remember very well. Anastasia is now thirteen and in seventh grade: the book starts in October, so we don't actually see any back-to-school/making friends stuff, which I like: it means that words and effort that would have been spent on that kind of scene-setting/establishing characters/etc. can be spent differently, and I think it works.

Like the oth
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Anastasia is now thirteen years old, and between her annoying family and the unpredictability of the gerbils she brought home for her science project, she really feels like she could benefit from some time in therapy. Her parents recognize her dramatics as part and parcel of puberty, and they refuse to pay for any counseling, so Anastasia takes matters into her own hands. She buys a bust of Sigmund Freud in whom she confides all of her proble
Liz
Feb 14, 2017 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Really like the Krupnik family. Category: juvie realistic fiction. Anastasia is going through that preteen hormonal timeframe where the family is super embarrassing and everything that was right now seems so wrong. In this book though, it dwells into more fantasy because she snaps out of within weeks instead of lasting for years as in my household!
Medeia Sharif
Jul 24, 2013 Medeia Sharif rated it liked it
Anastasia believes no one understands her. Both her friends and parents mention growing pains and the stages of adolescence. To make herself feel better, Anastasia buys a statue of Sigmund Freud at a garage sale and talks to him. He's her analyst.

Anastasia gets involved with gerbils. She's keeping two in a cage for her science project and something unexpected and funny happens with them. Also, her brother is being bullied and the bully and her mother are invited over. That's a hilarious scene.

Th
Sri
Oct 04, 2015 Sri rated it liked it
Shelves: children
** spoiler alert **

Menjadi abg, Anastasia mengalami perubahan hormon yang membuatnya berpikir ayah, ibu, dan adiknya malu-maluin di hadapan teman-temannya. Dia juga merasa dia memiliki masalah yang mengharuskan dia berkonsultasi dengan seorang psikiater. Sayang ayah ibunya tidak mengijinkan. Akhirnya Anastasia menjadikan sebuah patung Sigmund Freud sebagai psikiaternya.

Catatan yang dibuat Anastasia sekarang adalah tentang proyek sains-nya: mengembangbiakkan gerbil padahal ibunya takut pada hewan
Robert
Jun 08, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Some good gags but this one seemed a bit more hastily written and lacking in some of the charm found in other titles featuring these characters.

I don't like that the new cover imposes upon the mind's eye with an artless photograph of a specific girl, especially some idealized air-brushed model. This robs reading of the individuality of exercising one's own creative visualization, something we should be working to preserve and pass on to children in an era saturated with multi-media entertainment
Natalie
Jul 14, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Anastasia is growing up – and she absolutely hate it. In fact, she hates it enough that she thinks she needs to see a shrink to work out her problems, but her parents won’t agree to it. Still Anastasia ends up eventually finding an analyst in the form of a bust of Sigmund Freud. Alongside Anastasia’s problem of growing up is another problem – her science fair project! Maybe in retrospect trying to mate gerbils wasn’t as easy as she’d thought it would be... Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst is so crazy ...more
Rose
Dec 08, 2015 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, re-read
This was never one of my all-time favorites of the series -- despite the fact that, for whatever reason, people talking to plain white busts apparently amuses me deeply. (SEE ALSO: Sherlock's Angus in CBS's "Elementary.") Despite my only-occasional childhood rereads, as an adult I found it to be a fun, neat, beautifully-tied-together-at-the-ending story of science fair projects, bullying, adolescence, and psychology (although, to be fair, I think Anastasia's parents' attitudes on counseling need ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Lois Lowryn Anastasia-sarjan neljännessä osassa päähenkilömme on saavuttanut murrosiän, mikä laittaa tunteet kuohumaan - ja oma roolinsa on myös hyppyrotilla, joita on aluksi kaksi ja sitten aika paljon enemmän.

"Anastasia hermoromahduksen partaalla" ei ole sarjan paras osa, mutta nopea ja viihdyttävä lastenromaani se on silti. Ja kyseessä ei olisi Anastasia, ellei kirjassa olisi mukana fiksuja viittauksia eri puolille länsimaista kulttuuria; vuorossa ovat tällä kertaa vuorossa Henri-Georges Clou
Jin
Mar 31, 2009 Jin added it
Shelves: quarter-3
The book Anastasia, Ask your Analyst (Anastasia) by Lois Lowry was about Anastasia wanted her parents and her brother to be normal. She thinks she is the only normal one in her family and hse was embrassed by her family. so she needed to see an analyst. Thne she was so into Sigmund Freud and her family was not happy about it.

This book makes me laugh because of the way that Anastasia is describing her brother. Reading this book reminded me how funny my brother can be sometimes. But I disagree wi
Megan
Oct 08, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anastasia is now 13 and needs psychological help from the man himself, Sigmund Freud. Sadly he is dead, so a plaster bust of him and a collections of his writings will have to suffice. Except it doesn't really help as being 13 can't really be cured.
How does a book like this get greenlit? I love it so much and it gives me so much hope for some strange reason.
Granted no one really reads these anymore, but at one time Anastasia was an ALA Notable book. But it was the 70's and opinions about what m
Camille
Growing up, these were my favorite books. Anastasia was my hero, even though my friends would make fun of me because the drawing on the cover looked more like an ape than a girl. But this was the first Anastasia adventure I read, and I must say that to this day I have only the fondest memories of reading this book. Anastasia seemed to mature and cool, from having her bedroom in a tower to having a bust of a psychologist in her room that she told all her problems to. It only occurs to me now that ...more
Donna
Jan 26, 2017 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The fourth book in this series finds Anastasia at that age of being embarrassed by her family members so naturally (to her) she buys a Freud bust so she can have an analyst.

Good thing: I love the character of Anastasia and the general gentleness of these books. They make me smile a lot as I read them.

Bad thing: Anastasia's care for her gerbils made me wince but the book was written decades ago.

An extremely enjoyable series that (so far) has provided a very believable girl growing up. I'd have be
Michelle
Jun 30, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, the Anastasia cover features our girl wearing great shoes, hiking boots this time.

Anastasia is growing up, already in Stage One of Adolescence, dealing with "weird" parents and needing a psychiatrist. Instead she ends up with a bust of Freud (had to glue on the broken nose) and breeding gerbils. The ending of this book is cute and perfect and makes me love the Krupnik family even more.
george
Apr 16, 2008 george rated it liked it
Anastasia is back, this time with psychiatric problems. She is completely and utterly embarassed by her family. She has a big problem with gerbils. Her brother, Sam, is being beat up at school. And her hormones are running wild--and her parents refuse to let her see a psychiatrist!!!

Anastasia's adventures are always entertaining. I didn't find this one to be as funny as previous books, but it was still fun.
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Anastasia acquires a couple of gerbils for her science project which soon turn into several more gerbils. About this same time, she realizes she is entering Stage One of adolescence: in which one's parents become horribly embarrassing. She purchases a bust of Freud at a garage sale, and he helps her through this awkward time.
Amazingly realistic as well as enormously funny, Anastasia continues to be an entertaining read, even for an adult.
HeavyReader
Jan 25, 2009 HeavyReader rated it liked it
In this installment of the Anastasia series, Anastasia decides that her family is just too embarrassing! Then her mom tells her it's a normal way for a thirteen year old girl to feel. So Anastasia carries on cheerfully being embarrassed by her family until all is well at the end.

I like these books!
Liz
Jun 28, 2012 Liz added it
This was a favorite as a kid, long before I knew what an analyst really was (let alone had any thoughts of becoming a psychologist myself!). I still remember how she used her multicolored felt-tip pens to identify all the gerbil babies, and put the last colored spot on top of the head of her bust of Sigmund Freud. ;)
Lynn
Jun 25, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, ebooks, donated
re-read: June 23-26, 2014
re-read: October 13-14, 2015

This is one of my favorites of this series. I love Anastasia, and relate so very well to her. I love the descriptions about being a teenager, and even though I'm past that stage, I can still feel it. It's definitely a fun-to-read book. gerbils! gerbils! gerbils!
Kristy
Feb 15, 2013 Kristy rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
As a precocious 5th grader, I connected to Anastasia because I felt like I was living in a comedy where my parents were absent-mindedly ignoring me and I thought I was smarter than everyone else. I recommend it for girls of the same ilk.
Laila (BigReadingLife)
Gerbils running loose in the house, Anastasia telling her problems to a bust of Sigmund Freud she bought at a yard sale... these Anastasia books were among my favorite books as a kid, and re-reading them is a real treat. Although now I identify with Mrs. Krupnik!
alexa~♥
May 27, 2015 alexa~♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I didn't like was how Anastasia was acting. She's 13 for pete's sake. Grow up a little. I'm "younger" than her by a few months & I've already matured in many different ways.

Other than that, another great book! On to the next one!
Ling Juan
Mar 14, 2009 Ling Juan rated it liked it
This book talks about Anastasia figuring out that she has a problem just like her family members. she went and talked to one of the most famous analyst. Her parents found out and felt happy for her. This book was funny and enjoying because of the way Anastasia acts all the time.
Melody
Nov 29, 2008 Melody rated it liked it
Cute but not compelling.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
Jul 07, 2011 Michelle (FabBookReviews) rated it really liked it
(Re-read)
Miriam
Dec 07, 2007 Miriam rated it it was amazing
I loved this when I was little, despite the fact that I didn't know what an analyst was. It still worked for me though.
Sarah Sullivan
Jul 08, 2011 Sarah Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Because of the gerbils being so gross, this one only gets four stars. But the hilarity of Big Fat Ugly Nicky Coletti kind of makes up for it
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • The Pinballs
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Journey to an 800 Number
  • Claudia and the Middle School Mystery (The Baby-Sitters Club, #40)
  • Betsy's Busy Summer
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
  • Leo the Lop Tail Three
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel)
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...

Anastasia Krupnik (9 books)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Anastasia on Her Own (Anastasia Krupnik, #5)
  • Anastasia Has the Answers (Anastasia Krupnik, #6)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Anastasia at This Address (Anastasia Krupnik, #8)
  • Anastasia, Absolutely (Anastasia Krupnik, #9)