Start by marking “Prejudices: A Selection” as Want to Read:
Prejudices: A Selection

Prejudices: A Selection

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  13 reviews

With a style that combined biting sarcasm with the "language of the free lunch counter," Henry Louis Mencken shook politics and politicians for nearly half a century.

These thirty-five essays each a stick of dynamite with a burning fuse have been selected from six volumes originally published between 1919 and 1927.

Published February 12th 1958 by Vintage (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Prejudices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prejudices

matt
....And, actually, I'm going to say that it verges on two stars.

I've heard a lot about HL Mencken, most of it approving and well-nigh worshipful, and I saw this copy laid out on a shelf by random chance the other day and figured now was a good time to delve into it. Some professor must have chucked it and left it to be given away or pulped and I was happy to have found it.

I just finished it on the bus today and I gotta say it's perfect bus/commute/passing the time reading. Punchy, funny, sparkli
Ike Sharpless
Four stars not because I agree with Mencken's politics - generally, I don't, although the idea that "democracy is the idea that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard" sometimes sounds pretty accurate - but because he speaks his mind even, and especially, when most people would just shut up and let groupthink step in. Society needs contrarians, even libertarian ones.
Jen
I'll say this--there is no point, either in the title or the content, that Mencken is at all shy or misleading about what this is.
This is, quite literally, a selection of prejudices. I had no idea who Mencken was when I picked this up off of a Free Shelf in college, so I can't quite chime in on his impact in some of these other reviews. I imagine, though, that he would have loved to have been in this age of opinionated blogging--he would have had a ball with the entire Internet to hear his ideas
Al
Mencken's views on the police in several of his essays show he knew they were a threat to liberty, or at the very least, a rude awakening for people who think we have liberty. He notes that if they come to your house in error, you tell them so, and then flee their obviously mean intent, they will cheerfully beat you to the pulp in any state of this union.

His assessment of critics of each age as mostly unable to correctly appreciate the better artists of their age was true then, and now. His ass
Matt Cavedon
Endearingly Nietzschean, for an American; fantastic humor, rhetoric, and observations
Erik
For a follower of Nietzsche, Mencken is a strange old bird. Nietzsche went after Jesus and Socrates. HLM fulminated against William Jennings Bryan and the chatauqua. However, there is some great stuff in here. An appreciation of music critic James Huneker that sent me to his work. An essay on Baltimore vs. New York that Chesterton could have written. He was certainly correct that Prohibition was a lunatic stab by the country against the city, and The Husbandman is one of the truest things writte ...more
jeremy
(walter cronkite + edward murrow + hunter thompson + jon stewart + stephen colbert + keith olbermann) x 500 = 1/10 the talent, erudition, wit, morality, and character of h.l. mencken. oh, if only american journalism had anyone remarkably comparable today.
Jesse
Jul 18, 2007 Jesse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men who part their hair right down the middle
I actually have a lovely old two-volume 1920s edition given to me by a friend. The literal mustiness of the pages makes the intermittently musty bits more palatable. Some of it's still sharp. He was a tack, that Mencken.
Mark
Not much to say, it's Mencken. It's brilliant. Surprised no one's bothered referencing his essay "The Cult of Hope" in discussing Obama.
Juliana Rausch
why didn't someone tell me i'm not smart enough to read mencken? i am filled with self-hatred since reading prejudices.

Robert Pirkola
If the word irreverent hadn't been invented it would have been coined for Mencken.
Grim-Anal King
Good writing; mostly apposite disdain; even the nonsense is good nonsense.
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Amerah
Amerah marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Denise Cooper
Denise Cooper marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Christine Foulkes
Christine Foulkes marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Laura added it
Jul 13, 2015
Abutterfly
Abutterfly marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Maik
Maik added it
Jun 11, 2015
Mark Martella
Mark Martella marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Ihavenoname
Ihavenoname marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Andrew Wimbish
Andrew Wimbish marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Cameron E.
Cameron E. marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jason Musgrave
Jason Musgrave marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
  • The Pentagon of Power (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 2)
  • Dialectical and Historical Materialism
  • Oxford Book of Essays
  • The Long-Winded Lady: Notes from The New Yorker
  • Due Considerations: Essays and Criticism
  • After Henry
  • Culture of Complaint: The Fraying of America (American Lectures)
  • Selected Writings
  • Tools for Conviviality
  • Dismantling America: and other controversial essays
  • Montaigne: Essays
  • War and Decision: Inside the Pentagon at the Dawn of the War on Terrorism
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • An Appeal to the Toiling, Oppressed & Exhausted Peoples of Europe
  • Our Gang
  • The Runner: A True Account of the Amazing Lies and Fantastical Adventures of the Ivy League Impostor James Hogue
  • Pounding Nails in the Floor With My Forehead
  • For Reasons of State
Henry Louis "H.L." Mencken became one of the most influential and prolific journalists in America in the 1920s and '30s, writing about all the shams and con artists in the world. He attacked chiropractors and the Ku Klux Klan, politicians and other journalists. Most of all, he attacked Puritan morality. He called Puritanism, "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
At the height o
More about H.L. Mencken...
A Mencken Chrestomathy The Vintage Mencken American Language Notes on Democracy In Defense Of Women