Start by marking “Prejudices: A Selection” as Want to Read:
Prejudices: A Selection

Prejudices: A Selection

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

With a style that combined biting sarcasm with the "language of the free lunch counter," Henry Louis Mencken shook politics and politicians for nearly half a century.

These thirty-five essays each a stick of dynamite with a burning fuse have been selected from six volumes originally published between 1919 and 1927.

Published February 12th 1958 by Vintage (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Prejudices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prejudices

matt
....And, actually, I'm going to say that it verges on two stars.

I've heard a lot about HL Mencken, most of it approving and well-nigh worshipful, and I saw this copy laid out on a shelf by random chance the other day and figured now was a good time to delve into it. Some professor must have chucked it and left it to be given away or pulped and I was happy to have found it.

I just finished it on the bus today and I gotta say it's perfect bus/commute/passing the time reading. Punchy, funny, sparkli
Ike Sharpless
Aug 14, 2011 Ike Sharpless rated it really liked it
Four stars not because I agree with Mencken's politics - generally, I don't, although the idea that "democracy is the idea that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard" sometimes sounds pretty accurate - but because he speaks his mind even, and especially, when most people would just shut up and let groupthink step in. Society needs contrarians, even libertarian ones.
Jen
May 01, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok
I'll say this--there is no point, either in the title or the content, that Mencken is at all shy or misleading about what this is.
This is, quite literally, a selection of prejudices. I had no idea who Mencken was when I picked this up off of a Free Shelf in college, so I can't quite chime in on his impact in some of these other reviews. I imagine, though, that he would have loved to have been in this age of opinionated blogging--he would have had a ball with the entire Internet to hear his ideas
Al
May 28, 2013 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mencken's views on the police in several of his essays show he knew they were a threat to liberty, or at the very least, a rude awakening for people who think we have liberty. He notes that if they come to your house in error, you tell them so, and then flee their obviously mean intent, they will cheerfully beat you to the pulp in any state of this union.

His assessment of critics of each age as mostly unable to correctly appreciate the better artists of their age was true then, and now. His ass
Matt Cavedon
Mar 30, 2014 Matt Cavedon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endearingly Nietzschean, for an American; fantastic humor, rhetoric, and observations
Erik
Jun 18, 2012 Erik rated it really liked it
For a follower of Nietzsche, Mencken is a strange old bird. Nietzsche went after Jesus and Socrates. HLM fulminated against William Jennings Bryan and the chatauqua. However, there is some great stuff in here. An appreciation of music critic James Huneker that sent me to his work. An essay on Baltimore vs. New York that Chesterton could have written. He was certainly correct that Prohibition was a lunatic stab by the country against the city, and The Husbandman is one of the truest things writte ...more
jeremy
Nov 26, 2007 jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
(walter cronkite + edward murrow + hunter thompson + jon stewart + stephen colbert + keith olbermann) x 500 = 1/10 the talent, erudition, wit, morality, and character of h.l. mencken. oh, if only american journalism had anyone remarkably comparable today.
Jesse
Jul 18, 2007 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men who part their hair right down the middle
I actually have a lovely old two-volume 1920s edition given to me by a friend. The literal mustiness of the pages makes the intermittently musty bits more palatable. Some of it's still sharp. He was a tack, that Mencken.
Mark
Oct 20, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not much to say, it's Mencken. It's brilliant. Surprised no one's bothered referencing his essay "The Cult of Hope" in discussing Obama.
Juliana Rausch
Sep 11, 2012 Juliana Rausch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
why didn't someone tell me i'm not smart enough to read mencken? i am filled with self-hatred since reading prejudices.

Robert Pirkola
Apr 26, 2014 Robert Pirkola rated it really liked it
If the word irreverent hadn't been invented it would have been coined for Mencken.
Grim-Anal King
Jul 03, 2013 Grim-Anal King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good writing; mostly apposite disdain; even the nonsense is good nonsense.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 28, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture-studies
Just great.
Matthew Cadenasso
Matthew Cadenasso marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Joe Btfsplk
Joe Btfsplk marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Kālikā
Kālikā marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 06, 2016
Trenton
Trenton marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Jonny Lamenza
Jonny Lamenza marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Prashanta Augustine
Prashanta Augustine marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Chad Blomme
Chad Blomme marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Blindcrow
Blindcrow marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Nate
Nate rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Oxford Book of Essays
  • On Individuality and Social Forms
  • Dialectical and Historical Materialism
  • Culture of Complaint: The Fraying of America (American Lectures)
  • Katherine Anne Porter: Collected Stories and Essays
  • The Pentagon of Power (The Myth of the Machine, Vol 2)
  • Due Considerations: Essays and Criticism
  • Postcolonial Melancholia
  • Cancel Your Own Goddam Subscription: Notes and Asides from National Review
  • Poetics of Cinema
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
Henry Louis "H.L." Mencken became one of the most influential and prolific journalists in America in the 1920s and '30s, writing about all the shams and con artists in the world. He attacked chiropractors and the Ku Klux Klan, politicians and other journalists. Most of all, he attacked Puritan morality. He called Puritanism, "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
At the height o
More about H.L. Mencken...