Start by marking “Ready, Steady, Go!” as Want to Read:
Ready, Steady, Go!

Ready, Steady, Go!

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Shawn Levy, author of Rat Pack Confidential brings alive London in the Swinging Sixties with a groovy story of those who created the scene that changed the world. For a few years in the 1960s, London was the coolest city on earth: a spontaneous, dizzying stew of pop music, fashion, film, scandal, drugs and sex, crime, the avant garde underground and the tabloid obsession w ...more
Published July 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ready, Steady, Go!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ready, Steady, Go!

Makis Dionis
Apr 16, 2016 Makis Dionis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gin
Βίβλος....Το ηφαίστειο εξερράγη και ξέρασε απίστευτη τέχνη κ ενέργεια.... Και όταν το τίναξαν στον αέρα και ξεκίνησε το χανγκοβερ και όσοι μπορούσαν την κοπάνησαν και όλοι όσοι έμειναν πίσω έπρεπε να μαζέψουν την ακαταστασία, κανείς δεν παραπονέθηκε, όχι στ' αλήθεια, όχι για πολύ.
Jessie
Mar 17, 2008 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much that I brought it with me to London so I could use the locations in it as a reference guide. It's a history of the trends that came out of London in the 60's.
Anna Carlsson
Feb 04, 2014 Anna Carlsson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ready, Steady, GO! provides a riveting portrait of ‘60s era “Swinging” London. It chronicles London’s rise from Europe’s squarest capital to a vibrant, cutting-edge city where, for a brief period, everyone wanted to be. Key players in the transformation – hairstylist Vidal Sassoon, designer Mary Quant, filmmaker Richard Lester, model Twiggy, and photographer David Bailey, not to mention superstars like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones – contributed to one of the greatest cultural booms of the ...more
Tosh
Jan 31, 2008 Tosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very breezy read through the London Swinging 60's years. A lot of the book is devoted to photographer icon David Bailey who is sort of the magnet or glue that holds the scene together for this particular book. The author Levy has an understanding and historical perspective of understanding a culture - he also did a nice book on Vegas hipster culture - The Rat Pack as well.
Terri
I wish I could give this 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the beginning--the early and mid-60s are sort of my bag, if you will. I was frustrated throughout by what I perceived as sexism (at times it was hard to tell where to draw the line between the sexism of the age and the author's own possible sexism). I also found myself not liking some of the major players very much as people (Mick Jagger and Terrence Stamp were (are?) kind of assholes, huh?). BUT, all that said, I love this era, I love the fas ...more
Sunny
Jan 06, 2015 Sunny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, uk
I hope they get a photo of the book jacket here because it is marvelous. I love pop culture history and this is a solidly written one.
Rosemary Atwell
An entertaining and absorbing read that manages to conjure up the mood of the times rather well. The author wears his knowledge lightly and keeps the book moving along by highlighting characters and events, tracking fads, fashions and bands in a chatty but well-paced, style.
What really comes across well here is the parody that the Sixties eventually became as it burned itself out in a fireball of ever-increasing excess and novelty-chasing. Entertaining, sympathetic and well worth a read.
A raucous tour of 1960’s London, including the rise of miniskirts, rock and roll (especially The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix’s devastating impact) and the onset of the Free Love culture. While you may not be able to resist the Austin Powers accent and kitschy phrasing, Levy certainly has, by writing a straight-forward account of the who-what-when-why of London’s paradigm shift to become the most happening place on the planet (a reputation it continues to enjoy 40 years hence). I ...more
Andrew
May 26, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it
Excellent book which follows key figures in fashion,hairstyling,modelling ,music,acting and photography to offer an interesting insight into a decade when Britain did indeed seem 'cool'.
It's mentioned by one reviewer on the back of the book that this may be the 'definative' book on the sixties and it's cultural stock and this may just be so..much of the book looks at the rise and social change in the early part of the decade with the latter smaller part looking at the LSD enthused latter years o
Richard Mascall
Jul 17, 2007 Richard Mascall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in modern history
Shelves: general
This is an American's view of the story, with a particular focus on specific individuals, including Terence Stamp, David Bailey, and Marianne Faithful. It conveys the creative and liberating heights to which Swinging London rose, with perhaps the cross-fertilisation of different areas such as fashion, music, films, and the arts being such a strength. It also describes the darker side, and convincingly suggests why it was such a temporary phenomenon : London's weather.
Ana
Mar 03, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really awesome book on the Swinging London's aesthetics, including music, film, fashion, drugs, and a lot more.
Spm
May 18, 2008 Spm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've long loved the music, art, and fashions from the early 60s. This book explores the stories of each of those who contributed to it.

It profiles the creators of the "looks", "fashion trends", "artwork trends", "music trends", "furniture design trends" - all the elements that collectively represent the Mod/Swinging 60s as we know it.

I loved it. It made me want to move back to London.
Eric
Jan 24, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a brief 5-7 year period when London was the hippest place in the world through the lens of the music, movies, and fashion of Swinging London. Great as social history and great as part of the history of Rock. This is a must-read for any Beatles or Stones fan.
Margaret
The author tells the story of Swinging London through the lives and bios of people who embodied the time (Mick Jagger, David Bailey, Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, and others). Fun read.
Jamie McLendon
Nov 11, 2008 Jamie McLendon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great overview of the brief period in which all eyes were on London, as explored through the movers and shakers in the film, fashion, theater and music worlds.
captain america
Mar 28, 2012 captain america rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i grew up with the beatles and the stones and there's way too many books on either but this one helps explain how & why they were possible. smashing!
Kanya
Sep 11, 2007 Kanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You cannot be an Anglophile and NOT read this book. I promise, you will never walk London streets in the same way again.
James
Aug 15, 2007 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this book a lot better if I had stopped reading it about halfway through.
maeve
maeve marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Chortle
Chortle marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Ellie Zhang
Ellie Zhang marked it as to-read
Mark Essner
Mark Essner marked it as to-read
Kerrie D Wilkes
Kerrie D Wilkes marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Geoff Lucas
Geoff Lucas marked it as to-read
Stephanie Soltes
Stephanie Soltes rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Monta
Monta marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Laura Barrett-Bache
Laura Barrett-Bache is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
  • Freddie and Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody
  • Salam Pax: The Clandestine Diary of an Ordinary Iraqi
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Britpop!: Cool Britannia And The Spectacular Demise Of English Rock
  • Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan: The True Story of How the Iconic Superhero Battled the Men of Hate
  • The Love Machine
  • Sci-Fi Chronicles: A Visual History of the Galaxy's Greatest Science Fiction
  • There's A Riot Going On: Revolutionaries, Rock Stars, and the Rise and Fall of '60s Counter-Culture
  • White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties
  • Sloth
  • Uncle
  • The Secret History of Georgian London: How the Wages of Sin Shaped the Capital
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Bossa Nova: The Story of the Brazilian Music That Seduced the World