Start by marking “Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)

Artifacts (Faye Longchamp #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,447 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
Faye Longchamp has lost nearly everything except for her quick mind and a grim determination to hang onto her ancestral home, Joyeuse, a moldering plantation hidden along the Florida coast. No one knows how Faye's great-great-grandmother Cally, a newly freed slave barely out of her teens, came to own Joyeuse in the aftermath of the Civil War. No one knows how her descendan ...more
Published March 30th 2004 by iBooks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Artifacts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artifacts

Shazza Maddog
Sep 26, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it
This is one of those serendipitous books - I saw it on a table at the library, read the dust cover and thought, "Hmmm, Mom might like to read this. Hmmm, I might like to read this," and checked it out. Mom read it in less than two days. It took me considerably longer but I still very much enjoyed it.

The story revolves around Faye Longchamp, a mulatto woman, who lives in the Panhandle area of Florida. She doesn't believe she fits in anywhere - not the white nor the black world - and she's hiding
Heather
Aug 24, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is the first mystery in the Faye Longchamp mystery series. I reviewed number six in the series earlier in the year and though I wasn't lost, I was interested enough in the relationships, especially Faye's husband Joe Wolf Mantooth to find out more about the series. It took awhile for my library to dig up some of the books, but this one was so great it had me wishing I was home. There were all the elements of a mystery, murder, many suspects, doubt, subplots and looming threats to our protag ...more
Pamela
Delightful is: discovering a gem that, at first glance, seems a bit slapdash and mediocre, but turns out to be one of those can’t-turn-the-pages-fast-enough, diamonds in the rough. Artifacts is one such gem: A delight to read, ponder, adventure along, and solve.

All good qualities: atmospherically transporting, characteristically diverse and interesting, with a culture-rich plot dabbling in history, amid full-flush intrigue. I especially loved the strong, yet appropriately flawed main character,
Amy "the book-bat"
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Faye Longchamp is an archaeologist. She stumbles across the remains of a murder victim while digging for artifacts on government land. This discovery sets of a chain of events that puts Faye's life in danger.
Janice
Apr 13, 2011 Janice rated it liked it
This is the first book in a series that is new to me, but was written several years ago. The story surrounds Faye Longchamp, an archaeology student who is a descendant of a slave holder and one of his female slaves. Faye lives on an island off the gulf coast of Florida, and is trying to save the island and her family's old plantation/mansion from developers; at the same time Faye draws the attention of a murderer who is trying to cover up old murders, and willing to kill others to hide his past ...more
Jeanette
Apr 06, 2015 Jeanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This slow cozy almost made my abandoned shelf. The writer's style grated on me. Loving that particular area of Florida, that's what kept me plodding on. The premise sounded intriguing. Faye and nothing else about her occupation was believable. Nor were points of the plot. If I knew much less about archeology and had not been to digs in Pompeii and near Naples, I might have been able to swallow it easier. But it was still primarily the writing style itself that turned me off.
L.T. Fawkes
Jul 19, 2012 L.T. Fawkes rated it really liked it
Mary Anna Evans, FREE on Kindle. I love a mystery series with fresh characters and an exotic, well-drawn setting. This has both. You can't help but root for Faye Longchamp as she fights for her heritage and solves a mystery as well. Very entertaining.
Kirsten Lenius
Jun 13, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it it was amazing
This was a great mystery and my third good book in two days. It required a lot of knowledge of archaeology, history, geography and anthropology, plus the ability to create complex characters and unveil them gradually. I read this through in one sitting and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Faye Longchamps, is a student of Archaeology in the Florida Panhandle area. Faye is living a secret life shared with only a couple of fellow Lost Isle natives. Joe Wolf Mantooth, understands the outdoors and Faye, although many would say he is borderline simple-minded. He cares for Faye with a loyalty that is complete.

Faye, last of generations of women who are strong, both white and black, strives to keep the family plantation in her ownership. Taxes, money and health are issues that constantly
Michael Brunson
Mar 22, 2017 Michael Brunson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern heritage, the good and evil

This is a nugget of history of an area of the Florida Panhandle I know so well. I know from family just how tumultuous parts of it were. My great, great grandmother was a Creek and her husband Irish. He got his way in everything unless her eyes said no. Then being smarter than some she got her way. I find no fault in any of this writing of Faye's family history in both it's family lore and written history. This is well with researched in local and family histo
Judith Mosconi
May 13, 2017 Judith Mosconi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feisty archeology student with a mysterious past she longs to understand, Faye is a person you'd like to know. Her life has not been easy, and she continues to have problems, but she also has true determination and a strong will. You will like some of the people around her as well as you get to know them. Though the ending was good, I was a little disappointed in how some loose ends tied together. I would give this author another try and hope that the character develops given new adventure.
Sandra Holladay
May 05, 2017 Sandra Holladay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
At first I was going to rate this book at three stars because it started out so slow; slow but interesting nonetheless. I’ve changed my rating to four stars because Ms. Evans wrote a truly memorable book. I love how the story of Cally unfoldes, the hurricane and the resulting drama were gripping, and the character interactions were very believable. The characters are very well defined, you even know those who play bit parts well enough to understand them and where they are coming from.
Melinda Taylor
Mar 17, 2017 Melinda Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

Artifacts was a great lesson about the work that archeologists perform in their effort to record history for generations to enjoy. This was definitely a well written book that kept me guessing throughout the trying times. I will be interested to read Mary Anna Evans next book.
Patty Frye
May 08, 2017 Patty Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very complex story

A well written story with complex characters, this book is a winner. After reading the reviews, I wasn't sure if I would like this book but the story drew me in. The only problem I can say is that the characters had similar names which could get confusing at times ...
Robert C. smith
May 26, 2017 Robert C. smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Multi-Generation Mystery!

It's easy to fall in love with many of the characters because of their never-give-up attitudes, especially those of not so white skin. Evans tells a great story, filling in all the blanks left open until the mysteries are solved. A bit long and drawn out at times but still an enjoyable read.
Carol
Mar 19, 2017 Carol rated it really liked it
Stacey Wright Aumock
May 26, 2017 Stacey Wright Aumock rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
3.5? Not sure how to rate this one. It seemed to drag on a bit, but the ending surprised me. I can't decide if I want to continue the series. I enjoyed the book but didn't feel particularly connected to the main characters
Liz
Mar 16, 2017 Liz rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. A bit of archaeology, some family history, murder mysteries old and new, interesting characters, nicely paced, no farfetched love story cluttering it, what's not to like?
Debra Wenskovitch
May 24, 2017 Debra Wenskovitch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good choice for light summer reading. It mixed archeology with murder mysteries. I will probably read other books in this series.
Lois
Mar 21, 2017 Lois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting and Satisfying

Excellent story line and characters. The history, the slave issues, the women, and the justice were all well served. I felt great satisfaction at the outcome.
Dwight Burgess
Mar 21, 2017 Dwight Burgess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

Whether any of this is historically correct or not, I enjoyed reading about the area and strong women, of any color. Good mystery too.
Joni
Mar 18, 2017 Joni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artifacts

A very interesting, well-written book. This is the first book in the Faye Longchamp mystery series. The story is set in coastal Florida, and Faye has to deal with poverty, mystery, murder, friends and a killer who very much wants her dead.
Terri
May 09, 2017 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History and murder

Good storyline. I liked the way that she used historical facts in the story. Good characters that were interesting in themselves.
Marion
Mar 16, 2017 Marion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The book started a little slow for me, but I loved the history aspect of the book. The author added some details that the historian in me just adored. I'm not sure if I'll read more books in this series, but this book was worth the read; it was entertaining and toward the end, I didn't want to put it down.
Marc Milgrim
Mar 14, 2017 Marc Milgrim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Artifacts

I like this book very much . The author makes you care about the characters . The story was interesting . And I learned a lot more about finding artifacts .
Jennifer Robb
Mar 08, 2017 Jennifer Robb rated it liked it
The setting did not capture my imagination, and there wasn't enough explanation of why Faye needed so much money. Her home was in danger of being lost, but I never quite understood why. I guess I have the same problem with this as I did with the premise of Isis--if the person is an archeologist, how can they remove items willy-nilly. It doesn't seem true to their characters, created though they are.
Carl Ruopp
Mar 09, 2017 Carl Ruopp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth the time

Pleasant read held together with exciting relatable characters. Mysteries bound together with invisible threads until the light shines again after the hurricane. Enjoy
Amy
Mar 10, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it
Good murder mystery, love the characters
barbara pint
Mar 09, 2017 barbara pint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

I enjoyed reading this book. Lots of twists and turns to peak your interest. Surprised about who the murderer was. Slow moving in places but worth the read. Thanks to the author, i recommend this book highly.
Michele H Williams

Murder, mayhem, nature, and geography with a little bit of mysticism and strong women thrown in makes this tale worthy of reading.
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • A Fugitive Truth (An Emma Fielding Mystery #4)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
  • Skull Duggery (Gideon Oliver, #16)
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation #1)
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Red, Green, or Murder (Posadas County Mystery, #7)
  • Sloane Monroe Series Boxed Set (Books 1-3)
  • Legwork
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Masks of the Lost Kings
Mary Anna Evans has degrees in physics and engineering, but her heart is in the past. Her series character, Faye Longchamp, lives the exciting life of an archaeologist, and Mary Anna envies her a little. Wounded Earth, features environmentalist Larabeth McLeod in a duel to the death against a stalker who calls himself Babykiller. Her Faye Longchamp archaeological mysteries include Artifacts, Relic ...more
More about Mary Anna Evans...

Faye Longchamp (10 books)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Isolation (Faye Longchamp, #9)
  • Burials (Faye Longchamp #10)

“Historic American Buildings Survey—HABS for short—was one of FDR’s greatest New Deal investments. Jobless folk fanned out across the country, seeking old buildings, photographing them and sketching their floor plans. Many of the structures they recorded in the 1930s were caught in the act of falling down. Some of them were documented in no other place.” 0 likes