Start by marking “Soul of a Tiger: A Miraculous True Story of a Family Who Survived the Cambodian Genocide” as Want to Read:

Throughout Asia, the tiger has long been a metaphorical creature of magnificent power, magic, tenacious will and independence. Born in the Year of the Tiger, Rachana’s undeniable symbolic life or death experiences prove that faith, belief, and the will to survive can prevail above all odds.

In what was one of the most appalling mass murders known to mankind, the Khmer Roug
Published October 26th 2013 by Motivational Press (first published October 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Soul of a Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul of a Tiger

Kari Stern
Oct 10, 2014 Kari Stern rated it really liked it
I found the book very interesting. I learned so much about Cambodia, the Khmer rouge and killing fields. it was interesting enough that I could overlook the rather disjointed style of the writing. Definitely worth the read.
A.G. Lindsay
Jun 11, 2014 A.G. Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
It's sad that such a rich, compelling story is marred by bad choices in how the story was told.

Rachana is a fascinating person living and struggling in awesome events and yet you are left with an "eh" feeling after reading the book.

Instead of the confusing flashbacks to her childhood, her marriage, her escape from The Killing Fields of Cambodia, her struggles in America, the story would have been better served to follow her though the events in chronological order.

One of the things I really disl
Pot Pot
May 16, 2016 Pot Pot rated it it was ok
HELLO PLEASE

i am riting this revieu bc eye im kumpletely and utterlee offended by the bombastic thumb-sucking bafoonz that rote this buk. It is not an akurate reprezentashun of today's agrarian society and frankly, I find it offensive.

Here's why:

The book misspells Pot Pot as Pol Pot. That is what I call a real bad mistake. If the publisher does not fix this soon, prepare for a shitstorm, buddy. I will come to your house and fix it for you, if some godforsaken liberal Obama-loving communist look
Anne Violette
Aug 20, 2014 Anne Violette rated it it was amazing
You will really fall in love with the main characters. The mother, Cha-Cha and the grandmother, Thida survive many miracles in their journey to make life better for the two children. This book is very eye-opening. When we have great struggles in life and look at the atrocities this family survived, it pales in comparison to the things we might think are so bad. At least we do not have soldiers chasing us through fields, trying to kill us! Or bombs blowing us up in our beds while we are sleeping! ...more
Dada Gabriel
Oct 31, 2014 Dada Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Good inspirational book. I survived the genocide in Nigeria. So I definitely can relate to what happened in Cambodia. The Boko Haram killing of the christian southerners, raping, kidnapping, and killing of innocent northerners can be compared to the situation in Cambodia. My immediate family members, my inlaws, and the Christian communities have gone through hell. Like the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Boko Haram systematically killed one segment of the population in the hopes of wiping it out to ...more
Sarah Burgess
Sep 19, 2014 Sarah Burgess rated it it was amazing
I did not expect so much detail from this short two hour book! After reading the book, I felt like now I understand the people, the country, and the culture of Cambodia. The book is all inclusive - you get so much more than just the stories about the killing fields - you see the whole big picture. I felt educated and empowered with what I learned from this book.
Becki Basley
Sep 19, 2014 Becki Basley rated it it was amazing
I was born in 1973 so I had heard of Cambodia as an aside in some movies and the "killing fields" as an aside in some news programs but it wasn't until I read this book that I fully understood what happened in Cambodia. The horrible conditions and fear that these people had to live with on a daily basis and the incredible ingenuity and strength of will is a lesson for us all.
Christine Martin
Jun 01, 2014 Christine Martin rated it it was amazing
So many times we think our lives are hard. Yet we are given so many opportunities in our county. Here is a story of a young women who had every thing going against her, yet she survived a sickly childhood, a civil war, internment camps and finally a new beginning in a country where she could not even speak the language. An awesome story that I highly recommend.
Andy Lacroix
Nov 19, 2014 Andy Lacroix rated it liked it
A courageous story in unthinkable circumstances that leaves me very inspired with the strength for survival. This is one of those books that you just can’t put down, I found myself wanting to just read one more page until it was finished. A book that I highly recommend if you’re looking for a story of faith, perseverance and survival.
Victor H Fisher Jr
Sep 19, 2014 Victor H Fisher Jr rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of the Killing Fields off Cambodia.

Well written True Story of a Cambodian Family that went thru the struggles of Communist Cambodia War. Greatly recommend. A story that needs to be read.
Kamryn Leigh
I'm not that far into it, but it is very interesting. It's also very slow, so I don't think everyone would enjoy it. But other than that it's been great!
Michele
I learned a lot from this book - and has me searching for more information about this horrible genocide....
Sonia
Dec 17, 2014 Sonia rated it liked it
Great story. Amazing what this family went through. It is a little harder to read because it wasn't written by someone whose first language is English.
Carl Soundy
Carl Soundy rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Jessica Kull
Jessica Kull rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Maria Bonares
Maria Bonares rated it it was amazing
P
P rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2016
Cheryl Sisemore
Cheryl Sisemore rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Tommy
Tommy rated it it was amazing
Laquetha Barker
Laquetha Barker rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Lin
Lin rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Gerard Zilliner
Gerard Zilliner rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Danny Soledad
Danny Soledad rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Melanie Bishop
Melanie Bishop rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Teshia Nechelle
Teshia Nechelle rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
Johnny
Johnny rated it it was amazing
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison marked it as to-read
kindle 246
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold
  • Carolina Sunshower
  • Echoes of an Angel: The Miraculous True Story of a Boy Who Lost His Eyes but Could Still See
  • Trusting Calvin: How a Dog Helped Heal a Holocaust Survivor's Heart
  • Shadows in the Sun: Healing from Depression and Finding the Light Within
  • I'm Listening With a Broken Ear
  • When I Married My Mother:A Daughter's Search for What Really Matters--and How She Found It Caring for Mama Jo
  • Big As All Hell And Half Of Texas (Memoirs of Marlayna Glynn Brown)
  • Driving the Birds
  • An Angel With Fur
  • Antarctic Tears: Determination, adversity, and the pursuit of a dream at the bottom of the world
  • No Experience Necessary: The Culinary Odyssey of Chef Norman Van Aken
  • The Bicycle Diaries: My 21,000-Mile Ride for the Climate
  • Rex and the City: A Memoir of a Woman, a Man and the Rescue Dog Who Rescued Their Relationship
  • Enormity (Complete Edition)
  • Adventures of a Motorcycle Despatch Rider During the First World War