Start by marking “Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-up” as Want to Read:
Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-up

Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-up

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Senatorial Privilege The Chappaquiddick Cover-up by Leo Damore 1988 Hardcover
Published May 15th 1988 by Regnery Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Senatorial Privilege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Senatorial Privilege

Chana
Nov 12, 2009 Chana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chana by: BookCrossing - Winterwren
Senator Ted Kennedy accidently drove off the Dike Bridge on Chappaquiddick with passenger Mary Jo Kopechne. He escaped the car, she did not. This was tragic enough but Ted Kennedy, the fourth of the Kennedy sons, beloved by Americans and a "shoo-in" for the Presidency, DOES NOT ATTEMPT TO GET HELP FROM EMERGENCY SERVICES OR REPORT THIS ACCIDENT FOR OVER 9 HOURS!! He attempts to rescue her, he gets his friends to attempt to rescue her, he swims to Edgartown and attempts to establish an alibi and ...more
Michelle Elledge
Anyone who doesn't know the truth about the Kennedys should read this book. It puts a lot into perspective about the cover up and how much leg work the police had to go through.
Melissa K.
Very sad, but I always wanted to know more about what happened.
Christopher Hivner
Before reading this book I only knew the bare bones facts about what happened at Chappaquiddick. Senatorial Privilege gave me more information than I knew existed about this tragic event. It's a very well written and fast paced account, encompassing the before during and after from multiple view points. While its true that a lot of the information is conversations which the author obviously can't prove were translated verbatim, there is enough more concrete evidence to prove that Senator Kennedy ...more
Linda Lipko
Insightful book which sheds a glaring light on a very flawed man who, in this instance was not a leader, but a selfish little boy who left a person alive to die a very slow death.

Donalyn
This book confirmed my opinion of Edward Kennedy. I'm so glad he never became President of the US. I was pleased to read here that the media really hounded him after the "accident" on Chappaquiddick. Where is that media now?
Liz
Very detailed (maybe too detailed?) account of the Chappaquiddick car accident that derailed Ted Kennedy's career.
Leslie
I only had bare bones info on Chappapquiddick, but always thought Kennedy "got away with one." This amazing and comprehensive book illustrates the cronyism, incompetence and often outright criminal behavior of our elected officials, judges and police departments. Told in a strictly reportorial way, this chilling story almost reads like a novel (sort of Tom Wolfe without the sound effects--downfall of a powerful man). I highly recommend this book for anyone with a connection to Massachusetts.
Amy
This was a very powerful book. It definitely ignited in me the anger Americans must have felt when this event occurred. It shows the power of the government--the "other" side of the power. Very scary. The only justice I felt at the end of the book was that I know he's now getting what he deserves and truly answering for this crime.
Teri
Aug 25, 2008 Teri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know more about The Accident and about Senator Kennedy
I read this when it first came out in '85. It reads like a detective novel with a lot of evidence. Even though I have no respect for Senator Kennedy, I enjoyed knowing more about The Kennedys. This brother of JFK and RFK doesn't come close to what his brothers were.
Thomas Logsdon
This book really opened my eyes to the deception & use of political influence by Ted Kennedy, not to mention his severe drinking problem. I read this as a teen, and have determined that non-fiction is so much more interesting than fiction. It was a great read!
Dionne
Jul 26, 2008 Dionne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dionne by: My MoM
It is a travesty how Kennedy got away with at the very least manslaughter. Not only did he escape conviction but he continued to get re-elected for the next 30 years. Pretty sick!!
G Ream
Ted Kennedy - great statesman???? I think otherwise. A slimy politician whose wealth and privilege got him off the hook more times than......
Colin
This is a sad indictment of the American political scene... That somebody could be involved in this tragedy and not go before the court.
Dawn
It will never cease to amaze me what the rich, powerful, and (in this case also politically connected) can get away with doing.
Suzanne
Interesting account of the tragedy that completely changed the trajectory of Ted Kennedy's political career.
Lori
May 02, 2011 Lori is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Very eye opening.I had no idea that Sen.Kennedy was involved in something as tramatic as this.
SueAnn
I read the abridged version I think.
Terry-Lynne
Terry-Lynne marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kellie Poulin leibovitz
Kellie Poulin leibovitz is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
T
T marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Mario M.
Mario M. marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Izz
Izz marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Stephanie Tuell
Stephanie Tuell marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Day Kennedy Was Shot
  • Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy
  • 9-11, Vol. 1: Artists Respond
  • 9-11: September 11th 2001, Volume 2
  • Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon & the Destruction of Cambodia
  • The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside
  • The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House
  • Century of Struggle: The Woman's Rights Movement in the United States, Enlarged Edition
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • The Dreams of Ada
  • Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph
  • The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd
  • High Treason: The Assassination of JFK & the Case for Conspiracy (Carroll & Graf)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)
In His Garden: The Anatomy of a Murderer (The Cape Cod Murders) The Crime of Dorothy Sheridan Cache The Cape Cod Years of John Fitzgerald Kennedy