Start by marking “Shakespeare's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare's Daughter

Shakespeare's Daughter

Susanna Shakespeare finds the small town of Stratford-upon-Avon much too quiet and provincial. She yearns to travel to London to see her father's world of players and poets, and to follow a secret dream of her own. Once Susanna arrives in London, nothing is quite as she expected it to be -- least of all her relationship with her famous father. But propelled by her love for ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Laura Geringer Book

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare's Daughter

Anne Osterlund
Apr 18, 2012 Anne Osterlund rated it liked it
Susanna Shakespeare doesn’t belong in the small town of Stratford.
So she journeys to London on a mission to discover the world.
Instead she finds the hazards of the open road, her father’s illicit lover, and Tom.
The chorister who shares Susanna’s own dream. To sing.

But Tom has a secret passion even stronger than his feelings for Susanna.
Or his love of music.
A passion that may endanger not only himself.
But Susanna.
Her father.
And everyone’s dreams.

A quick historical novel of adventure, first love,
Felisha Caldeira
Apr 16, 2016 Felisha Caldeira rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Peter Hassinger's creative story showcasing the life of Shakespeare's oldest daughter Susanna. It was simple story of what one encounters whilst becoming a young adult while also having plot full of adventure, love, and of course, history.

Narrator Kathleen Chalfant does a wonderful job narrating this story.Her smooth overtones and subtle character nuances make for a very pleasant listener experience.

Overall a very sweet tale that I would recommend to all.

This audiobook was g
Lilmissmolly
Shakespeare's Daughter by Peter Hassinger's is a sweet story that I would recommend for the young adult set who may be reading one of Shakespeare's stories in English or Literature class. The story centers around Susanna, Shakespeare's oldest and teen-aged daughter, who lives in Stratford with her mother and two siblings. She is a very talented singer and desires more than anything in this world to become a professional singer. She soon falls in love after a brief meeting with another young sing ...more
Jessie
Apr 03, 2009 Jessie rated it it was ok
I wouldn't say it's a bad book, but it really isn't that great at all. One of the things that kept me reading, was the mere-novelty, is it?-of Shakespeare.

Basically, Susanna is Shakespeare's 13-year-old daughter. Her apiration is to become a singer, and she is also driven by her love of Thomas Cole. She leaves Stratford and her family to go to London to be with her father. She doesn't find the city life as what she thought it would be, or being with her father, but again, propelled by her desire
Mary
Apr 10, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Was interesting to read this author's idea of how Shakespeare's daughter dealt with coming of age and seeking to do what she loved to do which was to sing which was not for women of 16th century England.
It was rated with an average of 3.44 when I picked it and I can see why. It's not great but it is interesting. It is written kind of in the style that it might have been written in 16th century but very modern at the same time.
Didn't really like how subjects were brought up and then dropped.
Ly
Jun 25, 2013 Ly rated it liked it
It was nice. Susanna Shakespeare was definitely portrayed in a very appealing manner. But, let me just comment on its seriousness in tackling the plot. But in the end, the part where Shakespeare himself sends off Susanna and Thomas, and finally fulfills her dream of singing, it was SUPERB. Very. Overall, I liked it very much.
Leah
Oct 13, 2011 Leah rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-ups
I wish this were a movie. It would be perfect to get some friends together and MST3K it. Unfortunately the novel takes itself seriously and is just...awkward. Suffers from either so much research it's distracting or such a lack of research it's distracting.

Also, the main character is annoying and the tragic death of her brother is like, what? because he was just obnoxious anyway.
Portia
Mar 27, 2013 Portia rated it it was amazing
shakespeare's daughter is one of those very intresting historiacl fiction books it really excited me i thought tihs book was very exciting. It always made you realize wow thank god i didn't lie in that time period!!!
Abby
Jul 28, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
i really loved this book!! it was an interesting take on shakespeare before his universal fame and from a perspective of his daughter. it made me laugh, cry, and jump up and down wondering what would happen next! i also appreciated the aspects of singing since thats what i love to do too.
Holly Bennett
Apr 07, 2015 Holly Bennett rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
Meh! It was just ok. I almost quit partway through, but kept reading. A lot of the plot seems like it's not fully developed...such as the catholic thing for Tom. But maybe it doesn't need to for a YA novel.
Kelli
Mar 05, 2010 Kelli rated it it was amazing
This was a cute story for young adults. Definitely a book for a girl, though. :) The author gives a pretty good description of what life would have been like in Shakespeare's day- especially for Catholics. I really liked the story.
Emily Farrar
Jul 05, 2009 Emily Farrar rated it really liked it
Slow beginning, but when it picked up I had a hard time putting it down!! Loved it!!
Stephanie Moore
Jan 05, 2016 Stephanie Moore rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold
This book was not terrible, but it was not good either. Susanna ran away to sing, went back home, then left again. Nothing really happened at all.
Danielle
May 07, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it
If you like romance but not to much then this book is for you. It has adventure and love with music. Its a great book!
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
A nice, fluffy entertaining read of a (loose) historical rendering of Susanna Shakespeare the eldest child of William Shakespeare.
Fairy Alonto
Aug 24, 2014 Fairy Alonto rated it it was ok
It was tuneful until I cut it short. I realized I had better books on my shelf.
Dec 10, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this book along time ago, but i remember it was really good.
Terisa
Terisa rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2014
Maddy
Maddy rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2009
Inez
Inez rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Kira
Kira rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Juliana
Juliana rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Kalimah
Kalimah rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
Katelyn
Katelyn rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Irene
Irene rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2012
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2010
Christinie
Christinie rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Truth About My Bat Mitzvah
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed (Patience Goodspeed, #1)
  • Homefront
  • Heartsinger
  • Forged in the Fire (No Shame, No Fear #2)
  • Jimmy's Stars
  • Elsie's Bird
  • Somebody
  • Alis
  • How I Found the Strong

“The word 'love' covers a multitude of sins.
Anne Shakespeare (mother)”