Shakespeare's Daughter

Shakespeare's Daughter

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Susanna Shakespeare finds the small town of Stratford-upon-Avon much too quiet and provincial. She yearns to travel to London to see her father's world of players and poets, and to follow a secret dream of her own. Once Susanna arrives in London, nothing is quite as she expected it to be -- least of all her relationship with her famous father. But propelled by her love for...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Laura Geringer Book

Jessie
I wouldn't say it's a bad book, but it really isn't that great at all. One of the things that kept me reading, was the mere-novelty, is it?-of Shakespeare.

Basically, Susanna is Shakespeare's 13-year-old daughter. Her apiration is to become a singer, and she is also driven by her love of Thomas Cole. She leaves Stratford and her family to go to London to be with her father. She doesn't find the city life as what she thought it would be, or being with her father, but again, propelled by her desire...more
Anne Osterlund
Susanna Shakespeare doesn’t belong in the small town of Stratford.
So she journeys to London on a mission to discover the world.
Instead she finds the hazards of the open road, her father’s illicit lover, and Tom.
The chorister who shares Susanna’s own dream. To sing.

But Tom has a secret passion even stronger than his feelings for Susanna.
Or his love of music.
A passion that may endanger not only himself.
But Susanna.
Her father.
And everyone’s dreams.

A quick historical novel of adventure, first love,...more
Mary
Was interesting to read this author's idea of how Shakespeare's daughter dealt with coming of age and seeking to do what she loved to do which was to sing which was not for women of 16th century England.
It was rated with an average of 3.44 when I picked it and I can see why. It's not great but it is interesting. It is written kind of in the style that it might have been written in 16th century but very modern at the same time.
Didn't really like how subjects were brought up and then dropped.
Leah
I wish this were a movie. It would be perfect to get some friends together and MST3K it. Unfortunately the novel takes itself seriously and is just...awkward. Suffers from either so much research it's distracting or such a lack of research it's distracting.

Also, the main character is annoying and the tragic death of her brother is like, what? because he was just obnoxious anyway.
Ly
It was nice. Susanna Shakespeare was definitely portrayed in a very appealing manner. But, let me just comment on its seriousness in tackling the plot. But in the end, the part where Shakespeare himself sends off Susanna and Thomas, and finally fulfills her dream of singing, it was SUPERB. Very. Overall, I liked it very much.
Abby
i really loved this book!! it was an interesting take on shakespeare before his universal fame and from a perspective of his daughter. it made me laugh, cry, and jump up and down wondering what would happen next! i also appreciated the aspects of singing since thats what i love to do too.
Kelli
This was a cute story for young adults. Definitely a book for a girl, though. :) The author gives a pretty good description of what life would have been like in Shakespeare's day- especially for Catholics. I really liked the story.
Portia
shakespeare's daughter is one of those very intresting historiacl fiction books it really excited me i thought tihs book was very exciting. It always made you realize wow thank god i didn't lie in that time period!!!
Sienna of the Ray-Burnished Hills
A nice, fluffy entertaining read of a (loose) historical rendering of Susanna Shakespeare the eldest child of William Shakespeare.
Danielle
If you like romance but not to much then this book is for you. It has adventure and love with music. Its a great book!
Emily Farrar
Slow beginning, but when it picked up I had a hard time putting it down!! Loved it!!
I read this book along time ago, but i remember it was really good.
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Joannabanana
Joannabanana marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Stephanie Moore
Stephanie Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Ravana McPherson
Ravana McPherson marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
The Book of Alfar: A Tale of the Hudson Highlands

“The word 'love' covers a multitude of sins.
Anne Shakespeare (mother)”