Start by marking “Do Penguins Have Knees & Other Imponderables/Mysteries Of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Do Penguins Have Knees & Other Imponderables/Mysteries Of Everyday Life

Do Penguins Have Knees & Other Imponderables/Mysteries Of Everyday Life

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Ponder, if you will...

* What happens to your Social Security number when you die?

* Why are peanuts listed as an ingredient in plain M&Ms?

* Why is Barbie's hair made out of nylon, but Ken's hair is plastic?

* What makes up the ever-mysterious "new-car smell"?

Pop-culture guru David Feldman demystifies these topics and so much more in Do Penguins Have Knees? -_the unchalle...more
Published (first published September 26th 1991)

Be the first to ask a question about Do Penguins Have Knees & Other Imponderables/Mysteries Of Everyday Life

Anna
I can't resist books about some random things I don't know about. Whether it's the anatomy of the penguins or the history of Moors' medical tools in Europe or the Algerian pirates in co Cork in Ireland, there are just way too many interesting topics around there. And the books like this, covering a bit of everything, in perfectly tiny chapters make a perfect read for so many occasions. When I'm tired, too tired to concentrate in a real book, when traveling with a huge jet lag, or perfect for toi...more
Kaylin
To be honest with everyone when i first started reading this book, I only read it because it was the only book that had an interesting title. So before i read it i thought the book was going to be about penguins hence the title "Do Penguins Have Knees?" but i was obviously wrong as soon as I got to the first chapter in the book. So pretty much this book was about these questions that us as people might randomly think of, and then the book would have the question and the answer if there was an an...more
Hannah
I didn't really learn anything from these ¨Imponderables¨ books. Most of the stuff in them is just common knowledge.
Emily
This book was at my house when I was a kid. I can’t remember if I read it because I wanted to be smarter than my sister or if I saw her reading it and I wanted to read it so that she wouldn’t be smarter than me. Either way…I didn’t want to be the dumb sister. Hey look! It worked! Not because my sister turned out to be the dumb one, but because we are both geniuses.

Anyways, I read it a whole bunch of times between the ages of about 9 and 17. I don’t remember a single thing. I don’t even remember...more
Beth Olson shultz
Some of the info in this book was a little outdated, but still a decent read.
Anna
While the idea is very attractive (and normally I really enjoy books of this kind), the questions were far from exciting and some answers were just so obvious that I was really starting to wonder - who would even ask such a stupid question :)

Besides, 50% of those are related to some "American-only" trivia that really doesn't interest me at all.

Also, many issues are outdated. I don't care about the VCRs anymore - sorry!

Bobby
This book is apparently #5 or #6 in the Imponderables series. I assume/hope that the previous books were funnier and wittier because I didn't find this one all that entertaining or interesting. The premise of the book is certainly interesting (the author attempts to answer "hard-to-answer" questions) but the content is pretty weak. I suggest skipping this one (but if you really want to read it, you can have my copy).
Cheryl
Since this is one of those bits and pieces books (often read in the bathroom), it is full of quick and easy-to-read bits that lend itself well to an afternoon with my daughter where we are both sitting out on the patio just spending time together. Some of it brings back memories, some of it is entertaining and some of it is easy to skip. I even learned a bit.
Kristal Cooper
Published in 1991, so some of the info was outdated. The entry about telephone area codes, for example, confused the heck out of me until I realized that we've moved beyond their explaination and it no longer applies. There were a good number of entries that I learned something from, so it was a worthwhile read. It was perfect bathroom material.
Zach
A good book file with a lot of cool, funny and mostly unless facts. So if you’re like me and you like those then read it and learn why White Chocolate isn’t really chocolate and why the classification of hardwood and softwood have nothing to do with how hard or soft the wood is.
Amanda
This was quite a fun and interesting read. It's not earth shattering information, but it's fun party conversation. They've written several other Imponderables books, and I'm thinking I'll probably read those as well. And, for the record, they do have knees.
Chanel
Nov 19, 2007 Chanel added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: good-reads
This book was so great it not only answered these question but a lot of other questions that are prevelent in the world and seem to slip onder out radar like... " Why are peanuts listed under a plain M&M's package?" haha this was the funniest book ever!
Lori
Boring. I sometimes like reading little books like these...I'm always curious about the little "why's" and "hows" in life. But this one just wasn't all that interesting. At least you could read it in less than an hour.
mairywo
Not as insightful as I had hoped, but that's because many things are exclusive to the United States and didn't mean anything to me to begin with. But it is still a very funny and entertaining book.
Angelica
Somewhat outdated, but a useful little reference book for the annoying questions that aren't answered anywhere else, with delightful illustrations. Of course, it's been rather superseded by Google...
Melissa Fields
I feel so informed about things that have no real impact in my life. However, every time i go to the bathroom, I no longer wonder who those YKK zipper people are. Now I know for sure! Yay!
Jen Locke
This book is a great way to pass short lengths of free time. The questions and answers are entertaining and you'll definitely learn some bit of useless information! It's just a fun, goofy read.
Lindsay
A light read. Learned some new trivia. Some of the stuff has entered common knowledge now, I think. I just needed something to read on the subway ride home and it did the trick.
Larry Cunningham
One of many books of witty and sometimes-insightful answers to totally random questions. A fun diversion, and great for when you have just a few minutes to learn something new and fun.
Daniel
This book is really great if you've ever been curious about everyday things. I'm still reading it because I can't stop going through every Q&A in detail over and over; but that's me.
Emmac
This book is pretty good. It answers many of life's questions such as "Why don't you notice misquito bites untill they itch?" and "How do seas always stay at the same salt level?"
Sara
Too many encouragements to buy the other books in the series. Plus, it's 15 years out of date at this point. Also, not all the questions were really answered...
Breezy
This is full of questions you may have always wondered... and lots more, too. They are questions that you can never really answer, but they do... yeah.
Jessica
Quite outdated. And do you really want to read 3-4 pages of the merits or demerits of fruitcake? Haven't we beat that joke to death as a country?
David Richardson
A fun little book that (kinda-sorta) answers nagging questions that are in the back of your mind. I thought the section on fruitcake was great!
Ashleigh
Well organized and fun to read with friends and family.
Especially excellent as a closing story of the day.
A good book for the polymaths among us.
Skyler
This book basically answers the random questions that you think could never be solved. I sure learned a lot, and it was pretty funny!
Nolan Tanner
I loved this. Sometimes it's good to take a break and fill up with facts of all sorts. And lay some of your own imponderables to rest.
Guillermo
It has a lot of interesting facts! I never asked myself about simple things in life that I take for granted all the time.
Molly
This series has answered many questions for me and prompted many more. It's truly fascinating and well written.
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge: A Deliciously Irreverent Guide to Feeling Smart Again
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • Uncle John's Ahh-Inspiring Bathroom Reader
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word for It
  • The Straight Dope
  • The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour

He holds a bachelor's degree in literature from Grinnell College, and a master's degree in popular culture from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He consults and lectures on the media. He lives in New York City.
More about David Feldman...
Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life Do Elephants Jump?: An Imponderables' Book How Does Aspirin Find a Headache? : An Imponderables' Book