Start by marking “Gates Of Creation” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gates Of Creation
Philip José Farmer

Gates Of Creation (World of Tiers #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Imagine a whole series of separate universes, made to suit the whims of a race of super-beings. Imagine these universes with their own laws, cultures, creatures, and ecologies -- all existing solely to please the fancies of their individual master.

Then imagine one such universe constructed as a diabolical trap to destroy a single person -- the man called Robert Wolff, one
Published February 1st 1981 by Ace (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Gates Of Creation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gates Of Creation

It turns out that this is a sequel - and a copy of the predecessor is in a warehouse along with the vast majority of my other books. So that is mildly irritating but not the book's fault...

Reading this book I was quickly and persistently reminded of The Great Book of Amber. I haven't checked which series started first but the correspondences are manifold: murderous family plots and feuding; protagonist who spent much time on Earth; ability to create whole universes; gates/trumps between places.

Norm Davis
Jun 13, 2015 Norm Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans, Quest lovers.

The Gates of Creation, by Philip Jose Farmer

This is a re-read for me. I devoured this series decades ago and recently found myself yearning for it again, even having forgotten every single thing except that I love it. And having finished this outing in this series, I recommend it. Moving forward may contain spoilers.

Within 10 paragraphs into this book I know pretty much everything there is to know about the book. I say this because I picked up “Blindsight” by Peter Watts, and after over 35 pag
It was rather unfair of Kurt Vonnegut to make Kilgore Trout's name refer to Theodore Sturgeon, who by the standards of pulp SF writers was actually pretty good. Maybe he just couldn't think of a witty pun based on Philip José Farmer, who was the real deal. Farmer had a thousand great ideas, and, just as with Trout, nearly all of them were disastrous failures when they actually got written down.

This novel, the second in his World of Tiers series, is a typical example. Farmer had presumably been
William Clemens
The second in the World of Tiers series takes a much different tack than the first. It's about half as long as most of the exposition and description have been removed and the book is nearly all plot.

The powerful lords, world creators, inheritors of the technology of a dying race, are tricked by their father and trapped on a series of worlds full of traps and dangers that they must brave in order to find and defeat him. Proud and spiteful, never trusting each other, they must find a way to work
This book also has Wolf as the primary character. I've read it a couple of times over the years & am re-reading now as part of the full series. It also weathered the decades well. Again there are some holes in it, but it was a great read. We learn more about the 'Lords' & how they are just regular people who have high technology that they don't understand. They're not very good people, either.
Chris Gager
This is the second half of The World of Tiers Part One. Starting tonight...

Finished with this even shorter tale of adventure in a truly weird universe. This one was not as good or sweeping a quest as the first book so my rating is only 2.75, but that rounds up to 3* anyway. No Kickaha in this one and that's too bad because he's pretty lively! Notes:

- powerful, immortal but uneducated humans... sounds like The Eyes of Heisenberg" - this was written first(I think).

- little brother Theomorton is a
I enjoyed this so much more than the first World of Tiers book. That had been my least favorite of Philip Jose Farmer’s books, and this one is my new favorite. The visuals were clearly evoked and wonderfully weird. The plot moved briskly, and purposefully. There were interesting characters and arcs. The ending contained possibly the most spectacular and clever action set piece amongst anything I’ve ever read. Something I really love about Farmer’s books is that they’re so spectacularly weird, bu ...more
An excellent, excellent book. Wonderful fantasy. Farmer was at the height of his talents with this series.
Jeffrey J
The second novel in Phllip Jose Farmer's World of Tiers starts some short time after the first novel finishes. The story begins when Jadawin, Robert Wolff to us, wakes from a peaceful slumber to find his love Chyrseis taken from him.

The then takes you deeper to the Lords' Family (dysfunctional) relationships when some of Jadawin's sister, brothers and cousins are also tricked into gathering to their father's universe. The story given a finer picture of the Lords history and how each suffered gro
Otis Campbell
I am the centre of this universe
The wind of time is blowing through me
And it's all moving relative to me,
It's all a figment of my mind
In a world that I've designed
I'm charged with cosmic energy
Has the world gone mad or is it me?
I don't think I've ever read a more trite, plodding piece of science-fiction. Why did I bother? To begin with, it was in the Box Under the Stairs, and I had made a decision to finish every paperback in the pile. Secondly, I recognized the author's name, and probably mistakenly regarded him as someone significant in the world of 1960's sci-fi.

The cover boasts "The Second Book in the Extraordinary World of Tiers Series." For the concept to birth a sequel, it had to be decent, right?
Book 2 of World of Tiers
Wrong Edition
I was a big fan of the first book in the series, "Maker of Universes," but this book feels a bit lacking in comparison. A fun, quick read that further examines the decadence and evil of the Lords and their depravity. There's a good amount of material from this that I imagine I'll use later to mine for gaming ideas, but not enough cool to be visionary.
Second volume of World of Tiers novel. It has the characters going through multiple universes, which gives Farmer a chance to exercise a lot of imagination in the creation of his worlds.
Cℓinton Sheppard
If you want mid 20th century weird adventure fiction it really doesn't get much better than this.
I found the Tiers trilogy fascinating when a teen but nowadays it's a bit ho hum
Grade B-. Book T2.
loved it years ago
Nikali Starkovich
Nikali Starkovich marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
  • The Broken Land
  • The Thousand-Headed Man (Doc Savage #2)
  • The Bloody Sun (Darkover)
  • The Bladerunner
  • The Long Night
  • The Beasts of Valhalla (A Mongo Mystery, #4)
  • The Run to Chaos Keep (Quintara Marathon, #2)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • Deathworld 3
  • Basketful of Crap (Hard Luck Hank #2)
  • Elixir
  • Can You Feel Anything When I Do This?
  • Planetfall
  • Trullion: Alastor 2262
  • City of a Thousand Suns
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (Paratime Police)
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...

World of Tiers (8 books)
  • The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers, #1)
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Red Orc's Rage (World of Tiers #6)
  • More Than Fire (World of Tiers, #7)
  • The World of Tiers