The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers, #1)

The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  820 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When Robert Wolff found a strange horn in an empty house, he held the key to a different universe. To blow that horn would open up a door through space-time and permit entry to a cosmos whose dimensions and laws were not those our starry galxy knows.
Published 1965 by Ace Books

Mark
Oct 10, 2009 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi and fantasy fans of world building
Shelves: sciencefiction
As an exercise in world building, World of Tiers is very interesting. That's about it, though. I enjoyed it on a pulpy quick read level. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a deep involving novel.

The Plot

Robert Wolff is a retired linguistics professor looking at homes to buy in Arizona. While inspecting a room alone, a gate to the world of tiers opens before him. He steps through and finds a world where mermaids and nymphs exist. After a few weeks of eating the food and drink...more
Jim
I'm re-reading this now after finally completing the series. It's been almost 40 years since I first read it, so I'll see if it keeps its 4 star rating (I doubt it), but I HAVE to find out how the entire story winds up.

The re-read was great. There are some holes in the story, but it still stands as a fun, quick read. It's still a fairly unique adventure story that is based on SF, but has some fantasy elements, sort of.
-----------
For years, I considered it a good, stand-alone, novel. I still thi...more
Traci
I have read so many books from this era with this similiar plot. I'm sure you know it well too. The Narnia/Wizard of Oz/Alice in Wonderland theme of a modern day character unsatisfied with life being transported to a magical world. I may have read it before but this is one of the better ones. Nice writing and world building. Doesn't really stand up to current fantasy or science fiction but an above average example of the golden age of pulp. Recommended to both fans of fantasy and science fiction...more
Ethan
Apr 17, 2014 Ethan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brayden Ledbetter
Recommended to Ethan by: My dad
Since this book falls under my favorite genre: Fantasy/Science-fiction, it is biased for me to say I love this book but it is true. This book is part of a six book series and this one, obviously being the first, is a great beginner book to introduce the series. Now I don't want to spoil anything so if you think I might spoil you can stop reading and leave now. The basics you might need to know depending on if you want to go in fresh or not is the main character is Robert Wolff, a retired man wit...more
Velvetink
Really liked it when I read it growing up. Have to read it again to comment though.
William Clemens
I thought I liked Philip Jose Farmer, I really did, but maybe I am wrong.

I remember being blown away by this series when I first read it many years back, but revisiting it I can't believe how awful some of this is. The writing isn't terrible per se, and the plot is decent. Earthling is transported to another world, cruel overlord has taken over, must climb through the universe to find the creator and take him down. The twist at the end is not a huge surprise, and despite the fantastic creatures...more
Onefinemess
Although the word "universes" here is a bit... misused. But, dudes made some crazy ass worlds, so there is that.

I've wanted to read some PJF (can I call him "PJF"?) for ages. His name is one of those greats that always seems to eventually come up in any discussion I read that goes back any length of time. And now I've done so. Huzzah. 'Tis a year for many such huzzahs. Whatever.

So. This was OK. Kinda basic travelogue style fantasy with your typical (now, at least) gateway character that, in this...more
Sean
Many who have reviewed this book dismiss it as young adult fiction, but I fear that label functions as a means for them to justify the immersive and original fantasy world that Farmer develops at the expense of more "adult" content such as complex characters or plot.

I enjoy Fantasy and Sword and Sorcery books when they are able to create an original, believable and yet insane world as a backdrop for their characters. It also helps to have some unique monsters, monsters from before Orks became a...more
Jeffrey J
Upon receiving the recommendation from my brother John, I pulled the 5 book series from the cramped and overstuffed used bookstore shelf a couple of years ago. It's taken that long to whittle down the Read Pile but after finally completing the John Carter Series and EE Smith's Skylark Trilogy, both pre WWII era literature, it looked like a great time to emerse myself in Philip Jose Farmer's World of Tiers.

Having known about Farmer's list of credits; my only other exposure to Farmer was the early...more
Francesco Galdieri
Philip José Farmer, Il fabbricante di universi (The maker of universe, 1965)

Ennesimo romanzo sugli universi paralleli, del genere che un tempo si sarebbe chiamato Avventura.
Insomma, è scritto bene, c'è azione, ci sono continue scazzottate, assomiglia al classico fantasy gruppo-che-ha-un'impresa-da-compiere, ma non ha nient'altro. Niente di niente. A metà delle circa 250 pagine sbadigliavo e non vedevo l'ora che finisse. Fortunatamente è finito.

Peccato, perché l'inizio che descrive il protagonist

Steven
I loved how the book started with a whisper, in a very mundane setting. Also I really loved the orientation sequence to the fantasy world. There was some other good stuff throughout. I have still have a lot of trouble grasping and keeping track of weird fantasy names though, like in the Hobbit. At some point in this book, I found myself reading about centaurs, and I couldn’t remember them being introduced. A little later it was bird knights or something and I couldn’t remember when they had been...more
Gigngogn

For that other universe was a place of tiers, world upon world piled upon each other like the landings of a sky-piercing mountain. The one to blow that horn would ascend those steps, from creation to creation, until he would come face to face with th

Olethros
-Aventuras en las formas, futuros rumbos del autor en el fondo.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Robert Wolff es un hombre casado de sesenta y seis años frustrado e insatisfecho que no recuerda, como mínimo, sus primeras dos décadas de vida. Mientras revisa una de las casas cuya compra está considerando, ve imágenes de otro mundo en una pared, en las que un hombre de aspecto salvaje saca notas musicales de un cuerno plateado mientras está rodeado de unas criaturas inhumanas. El salvaj...more
Tonk82
Desgraciadamente, ha sido bastante decepcionante para mi leer este libro. Mi primer incursion en la obra de Farmer, de su saga mas célebre tras Mundo-Río, y no me ha gustado especialmente.

Los elementos de ciencia ficción son escasos en la mayor parte del libro. La historia tiene un ritmo muy irregular, con no pocos agujeros, y está repleto de momento muy poco creíbles. Tampoco ha ayudado que la traducción que he leido es bastante discutible (o eso, o el libro en si tiene un lenguaje algo pobre)....more
Wayne Ren-Cheng
Happy Holidays to all,

Well, I've chosen books and series that I read in my twenties (times of D&D, being stoned and reading lots of different stuff) to see how they fared in my memory and how they fare in my present. I am sure to discover that some won't translate to the present very well, but not this series.

The World of Tiers series by P. J. Farmer was a rousing tale of adventure and subliminal sex then . . . and it still is. Great stuff for the science fiction, action/adventure reader who...more
Keith
This story is a cross between an Edgar Rice Burroughs book and a strange dream. It is weird. A lot of action and the tiers are a cool idea. It could have used some stronger editing, but I enjoyed reading it.
Sean Meriwether
I had a brief introduction to Farmer in high school and have begun reading more of his work. I enjoyed rereading the work I had already read, and not just for nostalgia's sake; the Riverworld series is inventive, fun and original. However, this start to a new series seems like a rehash of the themes he developed much more strongly in that better known series: an elusive god who created a synthetic universe, the absence of death, and oblivious population, and one alien dedicated truth-seeker. Not...more
Jonathan Oliver
I suspect I'd have been better off starting with the Riverworld books, as it is I decided to give The Maker of Universes a go first. There are things to like here - the battle between the Native Americans and the centaurs is a great bit of Fantasy Western - but there is almost too much in the book. Farmer takes the approach of throw everything into the mix and while it makes for certain fun scenes it also makes the plot somewhat garbled. The writing, too, is rather workmanlike. Enjoyable but not...more
Monica Garcia
It's been a little while since I read this series, but I recall this first book is good although the two protagonists seemed a bit too much alike to me. Probably would have been better as a stand-alone book. The second book is interesting mostly because it's comprised of an ensemble cast of vile characters. You pretty much want everybody to die. Third book was better was better, but I don't remember it being hugely gratifying to get to the end either.
Jack
Been awhile but I remember searching all over to find (remember) this series, I could only remember kickaha or something like that to go on my search on finding these again... this was before the computer era of everything at your fingertip's.
Fun read kind of like the Amber series but different heh' 4-6 in series and everyone just pulls you along, and end's up in "our" world if I remember right. best be on the re-read shelf'
Casey
Fun little book. Very weird and unique. The world building is great though and the characters are decent. There us aime weird pacing here....sometimes after what feels like a long time of setup gets resolved abruptly. Still, its a fun read and most importantly; very unique.

I'll definitely come back for more just to see what other craziness is in store. (My hopes? Wolff in other bizarre universes!)
Garrett Klein
I really enjoyed the setting of this book, though I thought there were a lot of points where the author simply glossed over parts of the adventures of the main characters. I also felt there was way too much luck involved, though that has more to do with the origins of the two visitors from Earth than anything else. Still a nice read, and it doesn't get too caught up in itself like a lot of fantasy novels.
Anthony Wong
i have not read this author before, in spite of me being a sci fi fan. but having read him now, i am not surprised i do not know this guy. his is in the tradition of rice burroughs, hero landing in a primitive world , and grappling with the villians and the nubile females. the book i got is a compilation of 3 of the novels in this series. i did not like it and could not finish the series. too boring.
Boris
This is a classic Sci-Fi book. It has a tantalizing plot but a very poor language and very little drama in the characters. Although Wikipedia claims that Philip Jose Farmer's World of Tiers is better than the Riverworld, judging from the first novel in the World of Tiers series, I definitely disagree.
Eros Fratini
Condivido chi trova che il romanzo non sia fantascienza del genere più puro.
Ma ciò non lo rende una brutta lettura.

Anch'io mi sono trovato leggermente spiazzato, mi aspettavo altro dall'autore di Venere sulla conchiglia ma nel complesso, avulso dalle etichette di genere, è una lettura piacevole e avvincente.
Francis Liu
This series starts with an interesting premise.
Paolo
As usually Farmer did, a powerful vision and a great begin for this saga
Cℓinton Sheppard
The adventures of Wolff as he travels from one end of an Earth
sized World of Tiers to the other. Lots of cultural details as
well as a new universal cosmology.
Mary
I had fun and was entertained, what more could u ask for in this genre? Well, that's just an expression I use, not a question lol.
Ari Giligson
If you read this then you must also read Zelazny's Amber series (someone is ripping someone else off)
  • The High Crusade
  • Showboat World
  • Fury
  • To Marry Medusa
  • The Humanoids
  • The Paradox Men
  • Players Of Null-a
  • The Galactic Gourmet (Sector General, #9)
  • The Status Civilization
  • What Mad Universe
  • Dark Universe
  • They Walked Like Men
  • The Listeners
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1)
  • Shadrach in the Furnace
  • Deathworld 2
  • Past Master
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th...more
More about Philip José Farmer...
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)