Start by marking “Dayworld” as Want to Read:
Dayworld

Dayworld (Dayworld #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,231 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Dayworld leads a sf trilogy by Philip José Farmer set in a dystopian future in which an overpopulated world allocates people only one day a week. The other six days they're in suspended animation. The focus is on Jeff Caird, a daybreaker living more than a day a week. He's not like most daybreakers. He belongs to the radical Immer group working to create a better ...more
Unknown Binding, 320 pages
Published January 26th 1985 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dayworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dayworld

Rita Monticelli
Jul 17, 2016 Rita Monticelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Scroll down for the English version

Geniale distopia d’altri tempi

Non vado matta per i romanzi distopici contemporanei, mentre mi ritrovo sempre più spesso ad apprezzare questo sottogenere della fantascienza quando si tratta di libri di qualche decennio fa, destinati a diventare dei classici. L’inevitabile anacronismo di certi elementi della trama dona a “Il sistema Dayworld” di Farmer un fascino particolare e un’originalità che stento a vedere nelle storie più recenti.
Nello specifico in questo r
Brendan
It's the far future, Earth has become a crowded place whose technology allows for supporting an enormous population, but whose geography makes this difficult. The solution? Use "stoning" technology, which freezes people (or anything else) into ageless solids, to freeze most of the Earth's population. Then unfreeze them on a schedule, so each person gets to live but one day of each week, sharing living space with six others.

Such is the premise of Farmer's Dayworld, a story that spins out from thi
Sheridan
Nov 28, 2016 Sheridan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book because of the interesting concept. Unfortunately the one thing the book had no interest in exploring was the concept. It was still okay for what it was, but felt more like a rushed prologue with little wordbuilding.
Jeffrey
Dec 30, 2015 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: my_ebooks
"Dayworld" by Philip Jose Farmer (1985) has elements that remind me of a lot of other classic sci-fi books. For example, some of the police procedural, hi-tech dystopian world elements and pulp sci-fi & action story tropes of "Dayworld" remind me of "Bladerunner", (the Ridley Scott movie more so than the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick novel from which it was based). I guess its not that surprising as the visually-stunning and goundbreaking vision of a future dystopia ...more
Badseedgirl
Aug 03, 2014 Badseedgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you take a mystery and psychological thriller and wrap it in an ooey gooey science fiction back drop? Why you get Philip Jose Farmers wonderful novel Dayworld. Set several centuries in the future, the world government has found an answer to the overpopulation problem. Each person lives only 1 day in 7. Monday people live only from midnight to midnight Monday. The rest of the time they are “Stoned” a process that stops all functions and turns the body to a stone like material ...more
Sol González
Sep 03, 2016 Sol González rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mundo de día es un libro extraño como sólo los libros de Ciencia ficción pueden serlo. Tal vez lo más interesante de todo ello no sea la historia, que en su totalidad resulta demasiado normal... sino el planteamiento de la situación y el universo en el que se desenvuelve.

Imaginen un futuro en donde los niveles de sobre población han alcanzado y rebasado los límites de la cordura. En donde la tecnología se encuentra en un estado tan avanzado, que la mayor parte de la población no hace absolutamen
Leah

The only reason this book received a star was because I thought the premise was amazing. It’s always such a disappointment when a book has a great idea, but the execution is terrible. Such was the case with Dayworld.

I first stumbled upon this book at work and was so drawn to it I began reading it that same night. In the distant future, Earth is too crowded and the government decides to allow each person one day out of the week to live. The other six days t
Nuno Ribeiro
After Asimov, in my childhood, Heilein and (I confess) Hubbard, it was Philip José Farmer in my teens that completed my initiation into sci-fi.

Farmer gave what Ursula K. Le Guin would confirm. That clarity of the premise. The power of the metaphor, as eloquent as an essay.

"A society only allows his citizens to live one day a week."

The fact that it happens in a sci-fi scenario is not relevant. What matters is the consequences that are explored and that become referential to the real world. To m
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dayworld (1985) 258 pages by Philip Jose Farmer

I've read hundreds of books and thousands of short stories and not come across a premise quite like this. A technology has been invented that allows people, or anything for that matter, to be stoned. We might call it suspended animation. The Earth has become overpopulated. What it's being used for in this story is stoning everyone for six days out of seven. You share your apartment with six other people (or couples) who are stoned while you're awake
Isabel (kittiwake)
Today won't miss her. They'll think she's off on her own chase, if they think about her at all. Castor's kept them pretty busy. And what happens tomorrow? Will Snick appear at organics HQ with her visa and her orders from Sunday? No, she won't. So how will Friday know that she's supposed to appear? It won't, and the following days won't know about her, either. Nobody will know that she's missing until Sunday comes and she doesn't report to her superiors. Sunday can do nothing about it except to ...more
Marissa
An interesting premise that I'm not sure if Farmer actually succeeds at. In the Dystopian Future (aren't they all?) overpopulation is abetted by allowing humans to "live" for only a single weekday at a time, occupying the planet in shifts. While this seems to work, naturally, there's a group that's a little grumpypants about the whole arrangement, and have figured out a way to live longer/"daybreak" (live for more than one day of the week at a time.) This leads to trouble, a man with multiple ...more
Marty
Feb 07, 2009 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked, and if I were not already reading the Dark Tower series, I'd be reading the sequel now, Dayworld Rebel. Fun stuff. The main character is what is known as a "Daybreaker", someone that chooses to live every day of the week, illegally. The greater mass of humanity is required by law to remain in suspended animation for six days out of each week, to alleviate the overpopulation problem. He takes on a different identity each day.
The idea of a man who has created so many personalities ba
John Kim
Dec 24, 2008 John Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the coolest science fiction premises I've ever encountered. The world is so overpopulated that society comes up with a bizarre way of handling this, not through population control but through suspended animation.

Every person on the earth is allotted one day out of every seven to live out his life normally. The other six days, the person is frozen in suspended animation, completely inert, consuming no resources whatsoever.
This effectively reduces the entire population to 1/7th of t
Ash
Apr 22, 2014 Ash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
Gift from Reddit book exchange.

Pros:
- Interesting premise: set in the future where, in order to ration Earth's limit resources, people are delegated to be awake on only day of the week. So, for example, a Monday person wakes Monday morning at midnight, lives their life for the day, then at night enters a sleeping-chamber to sleep until the next Monday.
- Fast-paced: this follows from the way the story is structured as each new chapter is a new day.
- A dry humor pervades the book.

Cons:
- Lookin
Hank
Mar 27, 2011 Hank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
Well, Farmer tried with this one. I mean, the concept was good. How to divide up the world evenly when you have too many people? When there is not enough land, can we do it by time? And how much would we miss the length of spring or summer if we got the full span of life over time?

Unfortunately, the whole is less than its parts. This whole book came across as very 70s despite having been published in 1985. It had a few pleasant quirks - the idea of fads being different by day and having to navig
Nachman Kataczinsky
Farmer has a strange and creative imagination, but in this case he created something so unlikely that I had to work very hard to suspend disbelief.

Would you believe that people everywhere will voluntarily agree to live only one day a week? I think that the number of cheaters would be so high as to make the system unworkable. After you get over this hump, the book is enjoyable. As always with Farmer, there is a lot of action and stuff going on – not a dull moment.

I wonder whether he intended this
Iain Turnbull
Jul 24, 2011 Iain Turnbull rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, owned
I read this as a teenager and loved it. 20 years later, it sadly didn't live up to my memories. The concept is great - to combat overpopulation, people only live for one day a week, and are "stoned" or frozen for the other six days. Daybreaking is a serious crime, but a rebel group have agents who do just that, living each day of the week as a different personality.

The book centres on Jeff Caird, one of these daybreakers, as his world crumbled around him over the course of a week. The concept is
David Monroe
I recently re-read this book. I remember I enjoyed it a lot the first time. Reading it again, 20 years later in 2007 I still like the plot but the writing and characters left me a bit flat. Maybe it was the mood I was in, maybe I was just overthinking it. It's still worth a read.

The premise is, or was, unique. Overpopulation has taken it's toll on resources so 1/7 of the world's population is placed in a rotating suspended animation for six days. On the seventh day, they live their normal lives
Colleen
Jul 23, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Set in New York City in the far future. People live but one day a week to keep the planet from groaning under the population of 10 billion (we have over 6 billion right now!) and they go into suspended animation for the rest of the week. The hero has several 'personalities' because he's a criminal who lives more than one day a week. One self is a cop, chasing 'God', a murderer who is insane. Each self is completely different from the last one and most of them have a wife or two. Good fun. Sly ...more
Ryan
Jan 21, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Recommended if you enjoy sci-fi written about 30 years ago. I have read a few books by Farmer and this series feels a lot like classic Heinlein in tone. I didn't think I would like it as the concept is very experimental and didn't seem conducive to a coherent story. It is a bit difficult, since the main character is sort of a different version of himself on every day of the week. But somehow, Farmer makes it work. It's interesting to read now since the futuristic technology for television and ...more
K. Axel
The story...
What if... the world was so crowded that people couldn't live each day? What if you only lived one day each week? What if you chose to break these rules and live each day instead? You'd be a daybreaker for sure, a criminal, hunted by the police.

The premise in this book is very different from anything else I've ever read, something very cool and original. Farmer is a master, of that there can be no doubt, a master who continues to surprise. I was entertained all the way through this b
Joanne
Jun 07, 2010 Joanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book after watching Riverworld on Sci-Fi.
We don't have Riverworld so in lieu of that I read something by Farmer that's readily available from V's collection....
Argh... I just don't like his action scenes. I am the type that tunes out action scenes even when it is acted out. Reading about all the cases just left such a bad taste in my mouth afterwards (don't know why... sensory organ crossings?)
Don
After 46 pages of not caring about any of these characters, I've decided to put this one down and spare myself the quandry of whether or not I should try the 2 sequels. The concept is fantastic, but the execution so far is just boring. Why the lenghty descriptions of clothing? What is the explanation for males going by female names and vice versa? Why does Ozma paint grasshoppers? It just all seems to quirky for the sake of being quirky.
Mark
May 02, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As expected Jose provides another fantastic, detailed concept. There are lots of names and characters to keep track of, the level of writing wasn't fantastic and the plot is a little raggedy. But saying that I kept picking it up and found myself immersed in a world where most people are only awake one day a week. I was surprised by all the issues of living in such a world that I had not considered.
Travis
A cool idea, a world where over population is dealt with by giving everybody one day to live and the rest of the time your body is frozen, that very soon gets out of Farmer's control and you realize he hasn't thought through how his world works and what to do with it and the hero.
Starts strong but then wanders and loses steam.I love Farmer and the idea 'Dayworld', but had lost interest by the end of the book and have no interest in tracking down the rest of the trilogy.
Marianne
The first third of this book dragged slowly enough to make me consider putting it down several times. Trudging on, I finished, and the book picks up pace and more thoroughly explores the one-day-a-world idea.

A bit of crime novel, a bit adventure, couched in a sci-fi world. It feels like it's just getting somewhere when it ends. The ending felt kind of unsatisfying, like nothing was solved. First in a series.
Mark
Sep 18, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Again, I don't remember many details, but I believe the idea for this book was that the world had become so crowded that people had to occupy the same living quarters, and to make it tolerable, they only spent one day a week in them, and were in suspended animation the rest of the week. But some citizens -- they may have been called Daytrippers -- broke the rules and lived on more than one day of the week, which of course opened up the possibility of a secret life and illicit behavior.
Joe
Feb 20, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Continuing my efforts to read a bunch of classic sci-fi writers I've managed to skip over through the years. I'd probably realistically give this 3.5 stars if I had the option. An interesting premise with a protagonist that is more complex than average, if not more likable. Started off slow, but got better as it went along.
Scott
Jan 19, 2009 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this book, but kept slowly reading it when it was the only book that I had around. It did actually became interesting in last couple of chapters, so I might read the next one in the series. The goofy-assed hodge-podge of clothes and colors the author used for fashion of the future drove me crazy.
I was drawn to this book for its premise: due to overpopulation, a person only lives one day a week, spending the other six in a suspended state. But the further I read the more my interest waned. Too much time was spent on the inconsequentials of the story and not enough on developing the underlying premise.
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • Limbo
  • Jack of Eagles
  • Venus Plus X
  • Strength of Stones
  • City Come a-Walkin'
  • The Anome (Durdane, #1)
  • Thebes of the Hundred Gates
  • Los hijos de nuestros hijos
  • The Great Explosion
  • Psychoshop
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • Homeworld (To The Stars, #1)
  • Wolfling
  • Yarn
  • If the Stars Are Gods
  • The Man Who Japed
  • Becoming Human (Harmony of Worlds, #2)
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...

Dayworld (3 books)
  • Dayworld Rebel (Dayworld #2)
  • Dayworld Breakup (Dayworld #3)