Dayworld

Dayworld (Dayworld #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  936 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Dayworld leads a sf trilogy by Philip José Farmer set in a dystopian future in which an overpopulated world allocates people only one day a week. The other six days they're in suspended animation. The focus is on Jeff Caird, a daybreaker living more than a day a week. He's not like most daybreakers. He belongs to the radical Immer group working to create a better governmen...more
Published January 26th 1985 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dayworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dayworld

Brendan
It's the far future, Earth has become a crowded place whose technology allows for supporting an enormous population, but whose geography makes this difficult. The solution? Use "stoning" technology, which freezes people (or anything else) into ageless solids, to freeze most of the Earth's population. Then unfreeze them on a schedule, so each person gets to live but one day of each week, sharing living space with six others.

Such is the premise of Farmer's Dayworld, a story that spins out from thi...more
Corwin
This is one of the stranger science fiction books I've read, made even more strange by just how "normal" the world seems. It certainly is one of the most novel ideas I've heard of, six-sevenths of the world's population in suspended animation on any given day, and each day in turn and its residents creating separate and highly individual cultures, yet still under the thumb of a world government that seems the epitome of a benevolent despotism. This story is much more about a man, though, and his...more
Ash
Gift from Reddit book exchange.

Pros:
- Interesting premise: set in the future where, in order to ration Earth's limit resources, people are delegated to be awake on only day of the week. So, for example, a Monday person wakes Monday morning at midnight, lives their life for the day, then at night enters a sleeping-chamber to sleep until the next Monday.
- Fast-paced: this follows from the way the story is structured as each new chapter is a new day.
- A dry humor pervades the book.

Cons:
- Lookin...more
Badseedgirl
What do you get when you take a mystery and psychological thriller and wrap it in an ooey gooey science fiction back drop? Why you get Philip Jose Farmers wonderful novel Dayworld. Set several centuries in the future, the world government has found an answer to the overpopulation problem. Each person lives only 1 day in 7. Monday people live only from midnight to midnight Monday. The rest of the time they are “Stoned” a process that stops all functions and turns the body to a stone like material...more
Nachman Kataczinsky
Farmer has a strange and creative imagination, but in this case he created something so unlikely that I had to work very hard to suspend disbelief.

Would you believe that people everywhere will voluntarily agree to live only one day a week? I think that the number of cheaters would be so high as to make the system unworkable. After you get over this hump, the book is enjoyable. As always with Farmer, there is a lot of action and stuff going on – not a dull moment.

I wonder whether he intended this...more
John Kim
This is one of the coolest science fiction premises I've ever encountered. The world is so overpopulated that society comes up with a bizarre way of handling this, not through population control but through suspended animation.

Every person on the earth is allotted one day out of every seven to live out his life normally. The other six days, the person is frozen in suspended animation, completely inert, consuming no resources whatsoever.
This effectively reduces the entire population to 1/7th of t...more
Jeffrey
"Dayworld" by Philip Jose Farmer (1985) has elements that remind me of a lot of other classic sci-fi books. For example, some of the police procedural, hi-tech dystopian world elements and pulp sci-fi & action story tropes of "Dayworld" remind me of "Bladerunner", (the Ridley Scott movie more so than the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick novel from which it was based). I guess its not that surprising as the visually-stunning and goundbreaking vision of a future dystopia th...more
Marty
I'm hooked, and if I were not already reading the Dark Tower series, I'd be reading the sequel now, Dayworld Rebel. Fun stuff. The main character is what is known as a "Daybreaker", someone that chooses to live every day of the week, illegally. The greater mass of humanity is required by law to remain in suspended animation for six days out of each week, to alleviate the overpopulation problem. He takes on a different identity each day.
The idea of a man who has created so many personalities ba...more
Leah

The only reason this book received a star was because I thought the premise was amazing. It’s always such a disappointment when a book has a great idea, but the execution is terrible. Such was the case with Dayworld.

I first stumbled upon this book at work and was so drawn to it I began reading it that same night. In the distant future, Earth is too crowded and the government decides to allow each person one day out of the week to live. The other six days t...more
Isabel
Today won't miss her. They'll think she's off on her own chase, if they think about her at all. Castor's kept them pretty busy. And what happens tomorrow? Will Snick appear at organics HQ with her visa and her orders from Sunday? No, she won't. So how will Friday know that she's supposed to appear? It won't, and the following days won't know about her, either. Nobody will know that she's missing until Sunday comes and she doesn't report to her superiors. Sunday can do nothing about it except to...more
Hank
Well, Farmer tried with this one. I mean, the concept was good. How to divide up the world evenly when you have too many people? When there is not enough land, can we do it by time? And how much would we miss the length of spring or summer if we got the full span of life over time?

Unfortunately, the whole is less than its parts. This whole book came across as very 70s despite having been published in 1985. It had a few pleasant quirks - the idea of fads being different by day and having to navig...more
Iain Turnbull
I read this as a teenager and loved it. 20 years later, it sadly didn't live up to my memories. The concept is great - to combat overpopulation, people only live for one day a week, and are "stoned" or frozen for the other six days. Daybreaking is a serious crime, but a rebel group have agents who do just that, living each day of the week as a different personality.

The book centres on Jeff Caird, one of these daybreakers, as his world crumbled around him over the course of a week. The concept is...more
David Monroe
I recently re-read this book. I remember I enjoyed it a lot the first time. Reading it again, 20 years later in 2007 I still like the plot but the writing and characters left me a bit flat. Maybe it was the mood I was in, maybe I was just overthinking it. It's still worth a read.

The premise is, or was, unique. Overpopulation has taken it's toll on resources so 1/7 of the world's population is placed in a rotating suspended animation for six days. On the seventh day, they live their normal lives...more
Jim
Interesting premise but I don't feel like he did enough to develop it. The story gets a bit too confusing at times and the Dayworld concept doesn't seem too relevant or doesn't add enough to the story.
Ryan
Recommended if you enjoy sci-fi written about 30 years ago. I have read a few books by Farmer and this series feels a lot like classic Heinlein in tone. I didn't think I would like it as the concept is very experimental and didn't seem conducive to a coherent story. It is a bit difficult, since the main character is sort of a different version of himself on every day of the week. But somehow, Farmer makes it work. It's interesting to read now since the futuristic technology for television and co...more
Colleen
Set in New York City in the far future. People live but one day a week to keep the planet from groaning under the population of 10 billion (we have over 6 billion right now!) and they go into suspended animation for the rest of the week. The hero has several 'personalities' because he's a criminal who lives more than one day a week. One self is a cop, chasing 'God', a murderer who is insane. Each self is completely different from the last one and most of them have a wife or two. Good fun. Sly wi...more
James
Classic pulp scifi, the pacing will seem slow if you're accustomed to the faster more modern pace. If you can handle slowing it down a bit, it's an interesting read.
Peter Greenwell
Great premise, woeful execution. Jokey and juvenile short sentences, jarring transitions, discordant conversations...it's a mess.
K. Axel
The story...
What if... the world was so crowded that people couldn't live each day? What if you only lived one day each week? What if you chose to break these rules and live each day instead? You'd be a daybreaker for sure, a criminal, hunted by the police.

The premise in this book is very different from anything else I've ever read, something very cool and original. Farmer is a master, of that there can be no doubt, a master who continues to surprise. I was entertained all the way through this b...more
Jason
A neat idea, but PJF doesn't get that much out of it.
Mark
Again, I don't remember many details, but I believe the idea for this book was that the world had become so crowded that people had to occupy the same living quarters, and to make it tolerable, they only spent one day a week in them, and were in suspended animation the rest of the week. But some citizens -- they may have been called Daytrippers -- broke the rules and lived on more than one day of the week, which of course opened up the possibility of a secret life and illicit behavior.
Travis
A cool idea, a world where over population is dealt with by giving everybody one day to live and the rest of the time your body is frozen, that very soon gets out of Farmer's control and you realize he hasn't thought through how his world works and what to do with it and the hero.
Starts strong but then wanders and loses steam.I love Farmer and the idea 'Dayworld', but had lost interest by the end of the book and have no interest in tracking down the rest of the trilogy.
Don
After 46 pages of not caring about any of these characters, I've decided to put this one down and spare myself the quandry of whether or not I should try the 2 sequels. The concept is fantastic, but the execution so far is just boring. Why the lenghty descriptions of clothing? What is the explanation for males going by female names and vice versa? Why does Ozma paint grasshoppers? It just all seems to quirky for the sake of being quirky.
Joanne
I decided to read this book after watching Riverworld on Sci-Fi.
We don't have Riverworld so in lieu of that I read something by Farmer that's readily available from V's collection....
Argh... I just don't like his action scenes. I am the type that tunes out action scenes even when it is acted out. Reading about all the cases just left such a bad taste in my mouth afterwards (don't know why... sensory organ crossings?)
Mark
As expected Jose provides another fantastic, detailed concept. There are lots of names and characters to keep track of, the level of writing wasn't fantastic and the plot is a little raggedy. But saying that I kept picking it up and found myself immersed in a world where most people are only awake one day a week. I was surprised by all the issues of living in such a world that I had not considered.
Hashem Ahmed
Feb 04, 2014 Hashem Ahmed marked it as stopped-reading  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Stopped @164. Amazing idea but weak story :/
Mark
Interesting concept about a futuristic society where every person only lives for one day of the week. The rest of the week they are held in a state of suspended animation, or "stoned". The story centers around a man who manages to live every day of the week and the multiple personalities he must assume. Not a page turner, but it led me to re-read the Riverworld series.
I was drawn to this book for its premise: due to overpopulation, a person only lives one day a week, spending the other six in a suspended state. But the further I read the more my interest waned. Too much time was spent on the inconsequentials of the story and not enough on developing the underlying premise.
Scott
I didn't really like this book, but kept slowly reading it when it was the only book that I had around. It did actually became interesting in last couple of chapters, so I might read the next one in the series. The goofy-assed hodge-podge of clothes and colors the author used for fashion of the future drove me crazy.
John Hendricks
Farmer wrote the classic Riverworld Series, and this book has the same strengths and flaws. Great concept, a bit weird and philosophical in spots, and it comes to an ending mainly because there needs to be an ending, not because of where the book went. Ratings varied from 2-4 during the read...
  • Son of Man
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • A Choice of Gods
  • Starfarers
  • Venus Plus X
  • The Avatar
  • Drowning Towers
  • Bill, the Galactic Hero (Bill, #1)
  • Psychoshop
  • Immortality, Inc.
  • The Anome (Durdane, #1)
  • The Man Who Japed
  • Players Of Null-a
  • Major Operation (Sector General, #3)
  • The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)
  • Privateers (Privateers, #1)
  • Yarn
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th...more
More about Philip José Farmer...
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)