Start by marking “Dayworld ” as Want to Read:
Dayworld

Dayworld (Dayworld #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,173 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Dayworld leads a sf trilogy by Philip José Farmer set in a dystopian future in which an overpopulated world allocates people only one day a week. The other six days they're in suspended animation. The focus is on Jeff Caird, a daybreaker living more than a day a week. He's not like most daybreakers. He belongs to the radical Immer group working to create a better governmen ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 322 pages
Published September 25th 1986 by Panther/Grafton (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dayworld, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dayworld

Brendan
It's the far future, Earth has become a crowded place whose technology allows for supporting an enormous population, but whose geography makes this difficult. The solution? Use "stoning" technology, which freezes people (or anything else) into ageless solids, to freeze most of the Earth's population. Then unfreeze them on a schedule, so each person gets to live but one day of each week, sharing living space with six others.

Such is the premise of Farmer's Dayworld, a story that spins out from thi
Marissa
An interesting premise that I'm not sure if Farmer actually succeeds at. In the Dystopian Future (aren't they all?) overpopulation is abetted by allowing humans to "live" for only a single weekday at a time, occupying the planet in shifts. While this seems to work, naturally, there's a group that's a little grumpypants about the whole arrangement, and have figured out a way to live longer/"daybreak" (live for more than one day of the week at a time.) This leads to trouble, a man with multiple id ...more
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dayworld (1985) 258 pages by Philip Jose Farmer

I've read hundreds of books and thousands of short stories and not come across a premise quite like this. A technology has been invented that allows people, or anything for that matter, to be stoned. We might call it suspended animation. The Earth has become overpopulated. What it's being used for in this story is stoning everyone for six days out of seven. You share your apartment with six other people (or couples) who are stoned while you're awake
Ash
Apr 22, 2014 Ash rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
Gift from Reddit book exchange.

Pros:
- Interesting premise: set in the future where, in order to ration Earth's limit resources, people are delegated to be awake on only day of the week. So, for example, a Monday person wakes Monday morning at midnight, lives their life for the day, then at night enters a sleeping-chamber to sleep until the next Monday.
- Fast-paced: this follows from the way the story is structured as each new chapter is a new day.
- A dry humor pervades the book.

Cons:
- Lookin
Nachman Kataczinsky
Farmer has a strange and creative imagination, but in this case he created something so unlikely that I had to work very hard to suspend disbelief.

Would you believe that people everywhere will voluntarily agree to live only one day a week? I think that the number of cheaters would be so high as to make the system unworkable. After you get over this hump, the book is enjoyable. As always with Farmer, there is a lot of action and stuff going on – not a dull moment.

I wonder whether he intended this
Badseedgirl
Aug 03, 2014 Badseedgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do you get when you take a mystery and psychological thriller and wrap it in an ooey gooey science fiction back drop? Why you get Philip Jose Farmers wonderful novel Dayworld. Set several centuries in the future, the world government has found an answer to the overpopulation problem. Each person lives only 1 day in 7. Monday people live only from midnight to midnight Monday. The rest of the time they are “Stoned” a process that stops all functions and turns the body to a stone like material ...more
John Kim
Dec 24, 2008 John Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the coolest science fiction premises I've ever encountered. The world is so overpopulated that society comes up with a bizarre way of handling this, not through population control but through suspended animation.

Every person on the earth is allotted one day out of every seven to live out his life normally. The other six days, the person is frozen in suspended animation, completely inert, consuming no resources whatsoever.
This effectively reduces the entire population to 1/7th of t
Jeffrey
Dec 30, 2015 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my_ebooks
"Dayworld" by Philip Jose Farmer (1985) has elements that remind me of a lot of other classic sci-fi books. For example, some of the police procedural, hi-tech dystopian world elements and pulp sci-fi & action story tropes of "Dayworld" remind me of "Bladerunner", (the Ridley Scott movie more so than the "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick novel from which it was based). I guess its not that surprising as the visually-stunning and goundbreaking vision of a future dystopia th ...more
Marty
Feb 07, 2009 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked, and if I were not already reading the Dark Tower series, I'd be reading the sequel now, Dayworld Rebel. Fun stuff. The main character is what is known as a "Daybreaker", someone that chooses to live every day of the week, illegally. The greater mass of humanity is required by law to remain in suspended animation for six days out of each week, to alleviate the overpopulation problem. He takes on a different identity each day.
The idea of a man who has created so many personalities ba
Leah

The only reason this book received a star was because I thought the premise was amazing. It’s always such a disappointment when a book has a great idea, but the execution is terrible. Such was the case with Dayworld.

I first stumbled upon this book at work and was so drawn to it I began reading it that same night. In the distant future, Earth is too crowded and the government decides to allow each person one day out of the week to live. The other six days t
Isabel (kittiwake)
Dec 03, 2011 Isabel (kittiwake) rated it really liked it
Today won't miss her. They'll think she's off on her own chase, if they think about her at all. Castor's kept them pretty busy. And what happens tomorrow? Will Snick appear at organics HQ with her visa and her orders from Sunday? No, she won't. So how will Friday know that she's supposed to appear? It won't, and the following days won't know about her, either. Nobody will know that she's missing until Sunday comes and she doesn't report to her superiors. Sunday can do nothing about it except to ...more
Joe
Feb 20, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Continuing my efforts to read a bunch of classic sci-fi writers I've managed to skip over through the years. I'd probably realistically give this 3.5 stars if I had the option. An interesting premise with a protagonist that is more complex than average, if not more likable. Started off slow, but got better as it went along.
Hank
Mar 27, 2011 Hank rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
Well, Farmer tried with this one. I mean, the concept was good. How to divide up the world evenly when you have too many people? When there is not enough land, can we do it by time? And how much would we miss the length of spring or summer if we got the full span of life over time?

Unfortunately, the whole is less than its parts. This whole book came across as very 70s despite having been published in 1985. It had a few pleasant quirks - the idea of fads being different by day and having to navig
Aaron Anderson
I am not going to rate this book. I read the trilogy when I was a kid, and I really liked it then. I decided to try it again now...

Sadly, this is yet another example of a book that didn't stand the passage of time (at least for me). I do not really recommend anybody try reading this.
Iain Turnbull
Jul 24, 2011 Iain Turnbull rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, owned
I read this as a teenager and loved it. 20 years later, it sadly didn't live up to my memories. The concept is great - to combat overpopulation, people only live for one day a week, and are "stoned" or frozen for the other six days. Daybreaking is a serious crime, but a rebel group have agents who do just that, living each day of the week as a different personality.

The book centres on Jeff Caird, one of these daybreakers, as his world crumbled around him over the course of a week. The concept is
Fishface
In a world so crowded that people have to be kept in stasis 6 days a week in order to give everyone else a turn, the protagonist is a rebel, a "day tripper" who has 7 different identities to allow him to live every day. A whole different kind of rebellion.
David Monroe
I recently re-read this book. I remember I enjoyed it a lot the first time. Reading it again, 20 years later in 2007 I still like the plot but the writing and characters left me a bit flat. Maybe it was the mood I was in, maybe I was just overthinking it. It's still worth a read.

The premise is, or was, unique. Overpopulation has taken it's toll on resources so 1/7 of the world's population is placed in a rotating suspended animation for six days. On the seventh day, they live their normal lives
Lisa
Oct 09, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This was a perfectly good book, I just didn't care about finishing it as much as I cared about maybe giving something I'd enjoy more a chance. I should probably just accept that Philip Jose Farmer is not for me.
Jim
Apr 25, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise but I don't feel like he did enough to develop it. The story gets a bit too confusing at times and the Dayworld concept doesn't seem too relevant or doesn't add enough to the story.
Ryan
Jan 21, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
Recommended if you enjoy sci-fi written about 30 years ago. I have read a few books by Farmer and this series feels a lot like classic Heinlein in tone. I didn't think I would like it as the concept is very experimental and didn't seem conducive to a coherent story. It is a bit difficult, since the main character is sort of a different version of himself on every day of the week. But somehow, Farmer makes it work. It's interesting to read now since the futuristic technology for television and co ...more
Colleen
Jul 23, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Set in New York City in the far future. People live but one day a week to keep the planet from groaning under the population of 10 billion (we have over 6 billion right now!) and they go into suspended animation for the rest of the week. The hero has several 'personalities' because he's a criminal who lives more than one day a week. One self is a cop, chasing 'God', a murderer who is insane. Each self is completely different from the last one and most of them have a wife or two. Good fun. Sly wi ...more
James
Feb 07, 2014 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic pulp scifi, the pacing will seem slow if you're accustomed to the faster more modern pace. If you can handle slowing it down a bit, it's an interesting read.
Francesc
La premisa de partida es genial, pero el autor no aprovecha esa magnifica idea. A medida que iba avanzando en el libro, menos me importaba la suerte del protagonista. No sé si en los siguientes dos libros de la trilogía desarrollará mejor la historia. Esperémoslo.
Brent Knorr
It was a reasonably interesting idea for a story but I thought it ended rather weakly. I know there are two sequels but I don't think I'll seek them out.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book. Nice concept for an overcrowded world. Philip Jose Farmer is one of my top 5 favorite SiFi/Fantasy writers, you can always count on a good read from one of his books. Very recommended
K. Axel
The story...
What if... the world was so crowded that people couldn't live each day? What if you only lived one day each week? What if you chose to break these rules and live each day instead? You'd be a daybreaker for sure, a criminal, hunted by the police.

The premise in this book is very different from anything else I've ever read, something very cool and original. Farmer is a master, of that there can be no doubt, a master who continues to surprise. I was entertained all the way through this b
Jason
Jul 12, 2014 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A neat idea, but PJF doesn't get that much out of it.
Velvetink
Mar 14, 2015 Velvetink rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
donated to smith family charity march 2015
Mark
Sep 18, 2007 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Again, I don't remember many details, but I believe the idea for this book was that the world had become so crowded that people had to occupy the same living quarters, and to make it tolerable, they only spent one day a week in them, and were in suspended animation the rest of the week. But some citizens -- they may have been called Daytrippers -- broke the rules and lived on more than one day of the week, which of course opened up the possibility of a secret life and illicit behavior.
Travis
A cool idea, a world where over population is dealt with by giving everybody one day to live and the rest of the time your body is frozen, that very soon gets out of Farmer's control and you realize he hasn't thought through how his world works and what to do with it and the hero.
Starts strong but then wanders and loses steam.I love Farmer and the idea 'Dayworld', but had lost interest by the end of the book and have no interest in tracking down the rest of the trilogy.
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • Limbo
  • Jack of Eagles
  • Los hijos de nuestros hijos
  • City Come a-Walkin'
  • The Great Explosion
  • Thorns
  • Wolfling
  • The Anome (Durdane, #1)
  • Venus Plus X
  • Psychoshop
  • Strength of Stones
  • Becoming Human (Harmony of Worlds, #2)
  • Dr. Futurity
  • The Paratwa (The Paratwa Saga, Book 3)
  • The Daleth Effect
  • Yarn
  • Power & Light (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 2)
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...

Dayworld (3 books)
  • Dayworld Rebel (Dayworld #2)
  • Dayworld Breakup (Dayworld #3)