Start by marking “Mansfield” as Want to Read:
Mansfield

Mansfield

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
One of the Bloomsbury set, Katherine Mansfield’s relationship with John Middleton Murry and her struggle to write the “new kind of fiction” of the time is the subject of this novel, an appealing portrait of a writer and her celebrated circle.
Published May 20th 2004 by Harvill Press (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mansfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mansfield

Lisa
Hmm, I wasn’t wildly enthusiastic about this.

I’ve had a copy of The Death of the Body on my New Zealand TBR for ages, but Mansfield, A Novel, is my first book by acclaimed New Zealand writer, C.K. Stead, and I was expecting to be very impressed. Somehow, although there were moments when I quite enjoyed this book, it didn’t really engage me. It was a mildly interesting ‘refresher’ about aspects of Katherine Mansfield’s life, but it didn’t seem to offer much more.

It was an advantage to have read
Mar 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
I am finding it a little difficult to review this book. Imagine taking 3 years out of the life of a person, and trying to define them by those years as though they sprang out of nowhere and then disappear back to wherever they came from. The story was fascinating, and all the literary characters of the age parade through as caricatures of themselves. Siegfried Sassoon (the wounded soldier who speaks out against the war) whose story is told in [Regeneration] even makes an appearance.
Mansfield her
Elizabeth Moffat
Jun 14, 2013 Elizabeth Moffat rated it liked it
I knew very little about Katherine Mansfield, a New Zealand born writer who is said to have defined the short story, before starting this novel. Now I have finished, it has left me feeling a bit more knowledgeable, but not fully satisfied. From what I can gather, the main fascination people have with her life is her on-off relationship with John/Jack Murry, and the way she left most men (and even some women) spellbound after meeting and having a conversation with her. She moved in very literary ...more
Megan
Jul 21, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, new-zealand
This book lifted my inspiration. Mansfield led such an eclectic life, sought adventure and rode the ups and downs in varying levels of success - but meeting them head on, not shying away.

And Stead did her grace and realism. You got the feeling that at times she must have been a pain in the arse to know - and at other time bundles of laughter. And as a storyteller herself I enjoyed reading about her in fiction - letting Stead's words and narrative create an impression of who she may have been - r
Meran
It took real stubbornness to get into the book. (stubbornness = "I have a lot of other books I'm behind reading on, this one is short, you get a full point for reading it on the 2013 challenge, how hard can it really be to read this short book??") The book was rather slow starting. However, I grew to enjoy it very much.

I liked the WWI perspectives (a thought occurred to me: how'd they keep the trenches from fully flooding?), the scenes in different places were very interesting (how could people
LadyDisdain
Jan 10, 2016 LadyDisdain rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
From http://www.ladydisdainnotes.blogspot....

3.5 out of 5 stars

I have to say I absolutely loved this book. Almost everything about it appealed to me instantly – the writing, the setting, the characters. It has a blinding literary cast – T.S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf, D.H. Lawrence, Aldous Huxley, Bertrand Russell and several others.

How, I ask you, can you not drool?

As the title might suggest, this novel is about Katherine Mansfield, the New Zealand born writer who spent much of her time in England
Ang
Feb 21, 2014 Ang rated it liked it
Shelves: life-tales-true
Like a punt ride on a meandering stream, where upon rounding bends one is surprised by a garden, startled by the sudden flight of a kingfisher or brought joy by wayside flowers - as is Mr. Stead's tale of Katherine Mansfield. A quiet read; intimate, with insight to the creative soul, and, the life or writers of the early 1900's. Relationships are well explored whilst Mr. Stead gently delves into the pyshcology of the woman that died all too young. If only ...
Tom
Oct 13, 2015 Tom rated it liked it
Not a perfect novel but very readable and witty. I think Stead is correct to focus on the war years and the death of her brother as a pivotal time, but I still feel there is something missing, like in many ways the novel just touches on the surface of things. It made me want to go back and read the stories.
Jane Thomas
Sep 19, 2014 Jane Thomas rated it really liked it
Covering three years of Katherine Mansfield's life during wartime. Explores her relationship with fellow writer Jack Middleton Murray and their circle of friends including DH Lawrence and Virginia Woolf. London, south of France, Cornwall, the impact of war and personal struggle for success as a writer.
Erica Mangin
This is the second C.K Stead book I've read. Although the story itself didn't grip me as much as "My Name Was Judas" the actual writing was still a pleasure to read.
Sian Foan
Jan 10, 2013 Sian Foan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. C K Stead's great writing draws you into the life and character of this much written about authour seemlessly...totally absorping.

Raewyn
Dec 30, 2014 Raewyn rated it really liked it
Would be good background reading for my year 12s too! Show them that I'm not making it up when I talk about her famous contemporaries!
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Polly
Polly rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Lis
Lis rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Janine Parkinson
Janine Parkinson rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Chai1965
Chai1965 marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Rebekka Bremmer
Rebekka Bremmer rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Goran Remborg
Goran Remborg marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Kathleen Dixon
Kathleen Dixon marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Anney Ross
Anney Ross marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Dain Keating
Dain Keating rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
peter
peter marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Joan Wikler
Joan Wikler marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christian Karlson Stead is a New Zealand writer whose works include novels, poetry, short stories, and literary criticism.

One of Karl Stead's novels, Smith's Dream, provided the basis for the film Sleeping Dogs, starring Sam Neill; this became the first New Zealand film released in the United States.

Mansfield: A Novel was a finalist for the 2005 Tasmania Pacific Fiction Prize and received commend
More about C.K. Stead...