Start by marking “A Proper Family Holiday” as Want to Read:
A Proper Family Holiday

A Proper Family Holiday (Benson Family #1)

Sisters Chelsea and Ronnie Benson haven't spoken to each other in two years when their mother announces she wants the whole family to go on a week-long holiday in Lanzarote for her sixtieth birthday. Both sisters dread the holiday for different reasons. Sophisticated singleton Chelsea, a fashion journalist, dreads a week in the 'chips with everything' world she left behind ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Hodder Paperback

To ask other readers questions about A Proper Family Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Proper Family Holiday

Hannah
Sep 28, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
After a long period of not reading it, I'll say right from the start of this review that I am slowly but surely rediscovering my love for Chick-Lit. I'll also say, right now, that I absolutely adored this book by Chrissie Manby.

This book takes the reader on holiday with the Benson family - Bill, Jacqui, Dave, Mark, Ronnie, Jack, Sophie and Chelsea - to Lanzarote in order to celebrate Jacqui’s, who is married to Dave and the mother of Chelsea and Ronnie, sixtieth birthday. Right from the start t
Nurdinie Hanum Muhammad Noor
Sep 24, 2015 Nurdinie Hanum Muhammad Noor rated it it was amazing
Well i guess you could notice that i really enjoyed this book consider that i finished it in a day !!

This book is 100% about family bonding and friendship which what i always looking forward to.

You see, to me family is what really matters. No matter how awful you feel towards your family, you are still having the same blood running as them. This book proves that whenever you have an argument with your family members or you guys are not talking for 10 years, things will always make up by on thei
Lorna Gilder
Mar 17, 2016 Lorna Gilder rated it really liked it
A great light read packed with interesting characters I felt for.
Two sisters, who have fallen out, are reunited on a holiday organised by their parents. Family secrets are spilt and it finishes with you wanting to find out more.
jane wrigglesworth
A real feel good book

I started reading this book on Thursday evening and finished it Friday evening. Loved the down to earth characters and their unfolding life stories. Very enjoyable
Gayle Thomas
Aug 29, 2014 Gayle Thomas rated it it was amazing
Brilliant- perfect easy read for my holiday
Elisabeth Bjone
Sep 28, 2014 Elisabeth Bjone rated it liked it
Quite funny at times. Perfect by the pool. Easily forgotten.
Karen Vivian
Nov 20, 2016 Karen Vivian rated it it was amazing
Really easy book to read -loved it
Hasna
Jan 26, 2015 Hasna rated it really liked it
At first,I am not interested in this book, when it published, hence the blurb is interesting, I prefer books that set in England (it’s just silly of me). But when I saw it on the bookstore (which is rare, in my country we are a little bit left behind the publishing date schedule, and not all of woman fiction books that I want to read available on the store) , I just can’t not buy it, because it’s available, right there in front of me, without any effort of ordering online and waiting for it to ...more
Mishy
Oct 08, 2016 Mishy rated it really liked it
A quick easy read that's hard to put down.
Leah
Feb 13, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
Chrissie Manby has long been a favourite of mine – her books have been making me laugh for years and she very rarely disappoints. So it was a very nice surprise when it was announced not only was she writing a new book, but it was the first of a new series! It’s actually her first series – all about the Benson family, and it starts with A Proper Family Holiday which is actually the perfect book to take with you on your holidays. It’s taken me a little while to read it, but reading it has had me ...more
Chick Lit Uncovered
Jul 06, 2014 Chick Lit Uncovered rated it it was amazing
Magazine writer Chelsea Benson isn't best pleased at the prospect of a family holiday. It may sound harmless enough - fun, even - to most, but a week in not-so-glorious Lanzarote with her parents, sister that she hasn't spoken to in two years, a grandad with dementia and her stroppy fifteen-year-old niece - as well as her overly-excitable 6-year-old nephew - is Chelsea's idea of pure hell. Forced into an all-inclusive package holiday that would make her uber-posh co-workers on Society magazine ...more
Melwasul
Aug 14, 2015 Melwasul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5/5*

Voilà un roman que j’ai très longuement hésité avant d’acheter. Après une longue réflexion personnelle (« non tu ne connais pas l’auteure, il est peut-être bof. Puis, tu as assez de livres à lire cet été. Ton objectif est de faire descendre ta PAL … Bla bla bla »), j’avais décidé de ne pas craquer. Sauf que voilà, chez Mosaïc, ils sont hyper malins (ou je suis hyper faible, au choix), ils ont trouvé le moyen de me faire plonger. Alors que je déambulais dans ma librairie (les yeux (presque
Hayley
Sep 28, 2015 Hayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2015
Four generations of the Benson family go on holiday to Lanzarote for a week – what could possibly go wrong? This is an often funny, sometimes poignant and constantly entertaining read.

I bought this novel around the time it was released a year ago and it’s sat on my TBR ever since but I don’t really know why as I love Chrissie Manby’s novels. I think I was subconsciously saving it for a time when I knew I’d need a guaranteed pick-me-up of a book, and it didn’t let me down.

This novel was unputdown
Stuart Finkelkraut II
Jun 19, 2014 Stuart Finkelkraut II rated it it was amazing
I found this to be one of the funniest Chrisie Manby books I can recall reading. Her characters are always three dimensional, like good sculpture, and I quickly took a liking to Chelsea with her pucker self sufficiency, quick whit and almost inevitably, love of finery. She stands in contrast to her family of more modest ambition and the fast moving comedy is quickly turned into a millefeuille where diplomatic reserve is one of the few missing elements.

What I particularly enjoyed in this light he
Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl
Dec 07, 2014 Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl rated it it was amazing
As always with a Chrissie Manby book we are treated to a fast-paced, original, amusing tale bursting full of dramatics, and with a bit of a romance thrown in for good measure. A Proper Family Holiday is full of sisterly rivalry, family secrets, and a not so glamorous hotel in Lanzarote. You do immediately feel as though you're an honorary member of the Bensen family though, so therefore you are emotionally attached and involved in everything that goes on. Sisters Chelsea and Ronnie are ...more
Book-shelf Shelf
Jun 28, 2014 Book-shelf Shelf rated it it was amazing
A typical family go on a holiday to celibate mom's 60th birthday. But not everything goes as planned, especially in the Benson family. The two sisters are at war and haven't spoken for 2 years, they have different lives but see each others in a goldfish bowl way, they cant see the current so ruffled in the others.

The Benson's are a typical Midlands family who have worked hard and know the most important part of life is love and family, but can this holiday be as perfect as it should be?

This is
Rachel Gilbey
Jun 22, 2014 Rachel Gilbey rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed Chrissie Manby's books and this was no exception. I already know there is a squeal being released towards the end of the year and I just can't wait to read it.

I read this book in a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, and just couldnt put it down. It was told mainly from the 2 viewpoints of 2 completely opposite sisters, Chelsea working for a glossy magazine in London, and Ronnie who had her first child when she was just a teenage.

Its the story that in a lot of respects most p
CwtchUpBooks
Oct 29, 2014 CwtchUpBooks rated it really liked it
This is the family holiday from hell...and you're invited!

Lanzarote. Where family secrets are revealed and lasting memories are made. (And you spend half your time in your bathroom as the effects of the dodgy hotel buffet take hold of your intestines...)

This book is a hilarious sun lounger read with some really comical moments woven into a touching family story. You can't help but fall in love with them! (Grandad Bill is a particular favourite of mine....just like my Grandad)

I was thrilled to
Mandy
Nov 23, 2014 Mandy rated it really liked it
I have read and enjoyed all Chrissie Manby's books, and this one was no exception. I also like sequels, and Christmas novels, so I'm looking forward to getting started on "A Proper Family Christmas" later today. However, I felt that I had to deduct a star for two reasons; firstly, something connected to adoption was factually incorrect (and, to an adoptee, it was a glaring mistake!) and, secondly, the food poisoning episode was described in horribly and unnecessarily graphic detail. We really ...more
Mycoton32
Jul 04, 2015 Mycoton32 rated it really liked it
16/20
En bref, l'auteur signe là une comédie romantique très agréable et règle surtout les histoires de la famille Benton. Les non-dits sont nombreux, chacun pense à tort avoir raison et cela nous vaut quelques passages bien sentis. Les personnages évoluent, on se prend vite au jeu des mystères qui restent entier quasiment jusqu'à la fin et on passe très facilement du rire aux larmes. Une histoire parfaitement de saison, à dévorer sur la plage, au bord d'une piscine ou à l'ombre d'un arbre !

http:
Sam
Jun 29, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it
This book is about sibling rivalry and family misunderstandings.

The Benson family gather in a cheap Lanzarote hotel for a week to celebrate the 60th birthday of Jackie, the matriarch. This book is about the lives and secrets of the individuals, dealing with sibling rivalry and misunderstandings from years past.

I enjoyed this book, it seemed to get better the further you got into it, but that could just be understanding the characters better. At the end of the book I found myself hoping that ther
Hannah Ward
Jan 19, 2015 Hannah Ward rated it it was amazing
Ahhh I loved this book, having never read any of Chrissie's books before I was drawn in to this story. I absolutely love the cover of this book, it makes you want to be on holiday somewhere nice and hot. There are quite a few characters in this book but do not be put of by that as each one has their own story but it all comes together in the end. I would love it if Chrissie would do a follow up to this book as I would love to find out how the characters are once they are back home. Very good ...more
Di
Aug 02, 2014 Di rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! It was a fun story which was hilarious and had lots of ups and downs throughout. I tried to predict what was going to happen next throughout each chapter only to be proved wrong.
I loved the characters in the book. It sums up the chaos of each family holiday except I wanted to be there with the Benson family.

I definitely recommend this book and I am counting down the days to November for the sequel.
Louise
Nov 13, 2015 Louise rated it it was amazing
This was such a fantastic read! The characters had such personality and individuality, but they still worked together. There were some cliches, but they were done expertly and were not cringe-worthy at all! Perfect book for a light read, and it portrayed family chemistry in it's truest form - messy, funny but altogether adorably sweet and loving. Absolutely recommend! Perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella!
Akasha (Mes petits crimes et délits)
Ma chronique : ici

J’étais très emballée à la lecture de la quatrième de couverture et ravie lors de cette réception. Le livre en tant qu’objet est encore une fois très réussi : une couverture légèrement granulée qui rappelle le sable, c’est vraiment très agréable. [la suite sur mon blog]
Cecilia Peartree
May 24, 2016 Cecilia Peartree rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this - it was an easy read but not without some very dramatic moments. The characters were particularly well described, realistic and sympathetic despite their faults. I am now reading others in this series and can also recommend ' What I did on my Holidays' by the same writer - I read it some time ago and can remember laughing a lot.
Valerie
Aug 24, 2016 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Je savais que cela n'etait pas de la grande litterature mais je m'attendais a trouver une famille truculente qui regle ses comptes au soleil!

Les personnages n'ont aucune finesse, epaisseurs, les problemes relationels sont plats: une mere aimante qui veut reconstruire une cellule familiales, deux soeurs aigries et qui envient ce que l'autre est, un mari trompeur....bref rien de bien excitant!
Kirsten
Jan 01, 2016 Kirsten rated it liked it
I took this with me on the christmas family holiday - the tag line appealed "A two-week cruise with your whole family: Plain sailing or woman overboard". I do enjoy a cruise and sharing tricky family holiday dynamics felt like a good idea. Didn't grip me as much as a light holiday read should though.
Sarah Lee
Jan 18, 2015 Sarah Lee rated it really liked it
I struggled to 'get into' this book. It took me some going but I stuck with it and I am glad I did. The book swaps between different characters perspectives and I enjoyed the story line. The book is partly set at Christmas but the vast majority of it takes place outside Christmas, so could be easily read during the year.
Angel
Oct 30, 2015 Angel rated it liked it
I've read this book months ago, but I kinda abandoned Goodreads and got too lazy to write immediate reviews... so my memory of this book is not so fresh anymore. However, I do know that I did enjoy reading it. It was a fun book!
  • Two Weddings and a Baby
  • Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage
  • After the Wedding
  • One Night in Italy
  • Don't Tell the Brides-to-Be
  • What Would Mary Berry Do?
  • The Beginners Guide to the Birds and the Bees
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • By My Side
  • Heaven Sent
  • Love Me or Leave Me
This author has also released books under the name Chris Manby
More about Chrissie Manby...

Benson Family (4 books)
  • A Proper Family Christmas
  • A Proper Family Adventure
  • A Wedding at Christmas

“let the cab have air-conditioning. Chelsea texted her mother and sister as the taxi with no air-conditioning” 0 likes