Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)

Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels #5)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  9,312 ratings  ·  223 reviews
The national bestselling Black Jewels trilogy established award-winning Anne Bishop as an author whose "sublime skill...blends the darkly macabre with spine-tingling emotional intensity, mesmerizing magic, lush sensuality, and exciting action."* Now the saga continues-with four all-new adventures of Jaenelle and her kindred.
Published February 7th 2006 by Roc (first published January 2nd 2005)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
196th out of 1,320 books — 4,632 voters
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingCrescent Bound by Karli RushThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisEternal Island by K.S. Haigwood
Best Books featuring witches
60th out of 327 books — 598 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
From the moment I began reading the first book in Anne Bishop's Black Jewel Series I was captivated, moved, and entralled with the story and the characters. Having fallen in love with the dark jewel trilogy I was expecting a lot from this book. AND I got it... The book consists of 4 stories. Usually I am not a big fan of short stories, but "The Prince of Ebon Rih" and "Kaeleer's Heart" are long enough, and detailed enough to be really satisfying. I really liked the way the story of Lucivar and M...more
Sevie
This book contains 4 short stories set in the world of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy and should only be read by those who have read at least the first 3 books. You don't need to read the 4th book as it has nothing to do with the events in this book. **Warning** If you haven't read the first 3 books there could be possible SPOILERS in this review.

The first story in Dreams Made Flesh is called "Weaver of Dreams" and my interpretaion is its about how the dream weaver spiders came to be. Out o...more
❁ Danielle
Read 10th June 2014
I loved this books of four stories ~~ ★★★★★

Weaver of Dreams (2%)
This story is about the creation of Dreams

The Prince of Ebon Rih (4%)
Lucivar and Marian
I love seeing Lucivar and Marian fall in love. Was so great so see more of Luciver

Zuulaman (52%)
Saetan
Zuulaman was mentioned briefly queen of the darkness. This short story tell what happened. I thought I already hated Hekatah, but this story cements that. I love Saetan.

Kaeleer's Heart (61%)
Jaenelle and Daemon
This story is set...more
Tatiana Vila
And I thought "Queen of The Darkness" was a terrific ending...this book attach all the loose strings on the past books, and in what way!!!
We got to know more about Lucivar and Marian (a delightful and exciting story) and of course, what happened with Daemon and Jaenelle. I mean--sigh--their story is one of the most romantic and heartmelting stories I've ever seen. If you go and look "unconditional love" in a dictionary, their names would be placed next--in capital letters. Just breathtaking...
Gardavson
Holy crap, I love this woman! (author) I love her people, i love her world, I love her story. I want to be a part of it. The characters are worth their weight in gold. I never want this to end, never! This book was actually four short stories. Loved every one of them. I'm not a lover of novellas, but I loved these.is there a limit on how many times I can say love?
Kerry
Every time I read these short stories, I feel like I'm getting together with good friends. Sounds kinda weird probably, but I've read the stories set in the Black Jewels Realms more times than I can remember. Yet each time, new parts, places, and dialogue will stand out in a way it didn't before. This time around I found myself really enjoying the language Bishop uses, and the brilliant way that she crafts sentences.

As far as the stories themselves, I think they definitely mean more if you're a...more
Monica
This book is an anthology of short stories piecing together some of the events since Jaenelle's fall from power. The book starts with a short story about the weaver of dreams and how she comes to learn to weave and create the web that makes Jaenelle who she is. The next story is a short story about how Marian comes into the family and how her and Lucivar become married. The following story is the story of Saetan's past, how he and Hekatah divorce and the events that uh...surround that (sorry don...more
Jage
I have never read a book in The Black Jewels series. I've tried and everytime I open that first book I get irritated. The style doesn't work for me, the characters seem ugh, and yet. I adore this book.

I really do. It makes no sense but there you have it. My least favourite is the opening story. I get that that might be because I haven't read the series but it was a bit confusing and while I appreciate the way she wrote it from a different POV, and we were as confused as the spider at first, it...more
Carien
The short stories in this book are best read only if you read the original Black Jewels Trilogy as they fill in some of the blanks. I must say these stories are a lot less gritty and dark than the trilogy (except for one), but I found three of them a joy to read and was happy to find out more about some of the things that were only hinted at in the trilogy. Bishop's writing is excellent and rich as always.

Here's an overview of the stories:

Weaver of Dreams
This story is about the creation of the J...more
Célia
Depois das peripécias com este livro, eis que o dou por terminado. "Teias de Sonhos" é composto por 4 histórias independentes e que funcionam como um excelente complemento à Trilogia das Jóias Negras.

Para quem desconhece o contexto, posso dizer que tanto este livro como a trilogia que referi decorrem num mundo especial, onde as mulheres dominam e onde existe uma hierarquia de jóias por cores, em que o poder de cada um é determinado pela cor da sua Jóia de Progenitura. Para além dos territórios "...more
Christina
I absolutely loooooved this book. Dreams Made Flesh is an anthology of short stories surrounding the Black Jewels Trilogy, focusing on the aftermath and the past, as well as giving a greater insight into the lesser characters.

I must admit, I was most determined to read this book for Kaeleer's Heart, the story of Jaenelle and Daemon. I found their love to be absolutely beautiful in the trilogy and I wanted moremoremore of it. As much as possible.

However, I finished this book with so much more t...more
Karen
The first story was a little confusing and unclear. In fact, I thought it was just a prologue or something at first and not the actual story. The second story about Lucivar and Marian was my favorite. I had been disappointed, reading the trilogy, to not see how they met and ended up together so this story definitely filled that hole. And filled it quite well! The third story really made clear just how powerful Saetan could be and what he could be capable of. *shiver* And the fourth story continu...more
Mary
This book contains 4 short stories from the world of The Black Jewels. It should be read after books 1-3, but other than that it does not depend on any of the other books.

Weaver of Dreams is very short - less than 10 pages. It describes the origin of the spiders who become the Weavers and adds to the background of the world.

The Prince of Ebon Rih is after Heir of Shadows. Lucivar is the new Prince of Ebon Rih and is just setting up housekeeping. In Queen of Darkness Lucivar suddenly has a wife a...more
Minli
Maybe for wish-fulfillment, it hit the spot. The best story in here is Lucivar and Marian's, which always struck me as much more powerful than Jaenelle and Daemon's. Still, it's hot.
Tom
LOVED them all!! I wish Zuulaman was complete but other than that I loved them! Definitely my favorite book of novellas!
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
Thoughts on the way...

For the whole collection 4 stars, but Lucivar's novella gets 5 stars - I loved that novella so much.
Amaryllis DUCIEL
When I came across this book, my first thought was : "Hallelujah !! More stories in the Black Jewels' world !" And, of course, it was up to my (very, very high) expectations :
- Weavers of Dreams offered some unique and fascinating glimpse on certains powers' origin ;
- The Prince of Ebon Rih tells the much-awaited story of Lucivar and Marian's encounter (up to their wedding) ;
- Zuulaman... this one is so sad, so dark a story it's heartbreaking ;
- And finally Kaeleer's Heart, the only one of this...more
Leyoh
This was like having dinner with old friends...the mad ones from uni.
La-Plume
It features 4 stories, but fans probably won't bother with two of them i.e the first one with the spider and the third one with Saetan. That's not a problem in itself because the two main stories, featuring Lucivar and Marian for the second one and Daemon and Janelle for the 4th one take most of the pages anyway. I personally enjoyed more the story behind Lucivar and Marian's meeting, it was extremely sweet :D But all in all, if you're a fan of the Black Jewel Trilogy, you've got to buy that one...more
Rozus Perelko
Lucivar stracil w moich oczach już wcześniej i jakże byłam szczęśliwa , że autorka zaoszczędziła nam historię jego miłości, która w poprzedniej części pojawiła się znikąd. Cieszyłam się , że Marian jest ledwie cieniem w książce. Bo ilez można o zachwytem nad swoja idealna żona której nawet nie znamy i która mnie nie obchodzi , której mogło by ni ebyc w tej serii. Niestety, Bishop spisała jej , Marian nie jest nikim szczególnym a jego wybór tak naprawde nie byl wyborem, a przypadkiem. Ta historia...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Dreams Made Flesh is collection of stories about different characters in Black Jewels Series. I'm really glad to have read this book because it's given me major insight to several characters. We see Jaenelle, Saeten, Lucivar, Surreal, and Daemon. I'm going to be continuing reading more of this series though I've been warned that the rest of the series isn't as good a first three book are. I admit I'm leery about the other books however I have high tolerance level when it comes to stories. Lookin...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 14, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Bishop's Dark Jewels Books
This is definitely not the book I'd start with if you're new to Anne Bishop or her Dark Jewels series, but if you're a fan of the trilogy that starts with Daughter of the Blood, I'd definitely recommend this book. I've heard this book compared to fan fiction, not in a disparaging sense, but because of its function in filling some notable gaps in the trilogy you might be curious about, bits of backstory.

It's a meaty book with two out of the four stories novel-length: "The Prince of Ebon Rih" and...more
Jane
Amethyst Shadow
You can tell by the title of this book that it is one of the Black Jewels books. It actually has 4 short stories that help to understand and/or conclude the Black Jewels Trilogy.

The first story is a short story titled Weaver of Dreams and lets you know how the spider weavers came to be in existence. It's their story and gives some background to a piece of the Black Jewels.

The second story is titled The Prince of Ebon Rih and is the story of how Lucivar met Marian and what they went through in o...more
Hobbes
A collection of four short stories from the world of the Black Jewels.

Weaver of Dreams: A very short story that takes place as the dragons are dying. It is the first transfer of power from the dragons to another race. A spider, the first weaver, going from a simple mind to so much more. A few pages and yet so beautiful. And bittersweet, the end of the dragons and the birth of the Blood.

The Prince of Ebon Rih: Lucivar Yaslana has been living in Kaeleer for three years. Reunited with his father, l...more
Timmysparks `~`Blahzin Phyre`~`
I wondered why we didn't get the story of Lucivar and Marian courted but that was answered here. Lucivar tends to bring out the fighter in people and that was no different for Marian who really needed it. I loved their courtship. It was really nice to see the sweet and romantic side of Lucivar. And I loved Marian too.

I really hated Luthvian. I've always disliked her but what she did in this book was very terrible. I don't feel sorry for the way she died in the previous book at all.

From the sta...more
Seamaiden
I was reluctant at first about reading the book since it is supposed to fill up gaps mostly. When I read the first part, I wasn't really...happy. I felt as if something was wrong. I figured out it was the fact I would go back and forth and fill gaps that maybe I would like to fill with my imagination.
Then when I read the part with Lucivar and Marian,well...I loved it. It was really good and I believe it worth being mentioned in another book.
However, I don't know about the other two stories. I go...more
TheFountainPenDiva
I honestly don't know how many times I re-read Dreams Made Flesh a collection of stories from the Black Jewels trilogy, but each and every time I find something new that I love about Anne Bishop's strangely dark and compelling world. Truthfully though, I just fall head over heels in love with those delicious SaDiablo/Yaslana males all over again. I know, I know, but every time Daemon Sadi croons about "dancing with The Sadist", I just want to. I love Bishop's take on alpha males. The SaDiablo/Ya...more
Elenariel
Anche in questa raccolta di storie brevi Anne Bishop sa catturare il lettore e trasportarlo in un mondo di emozioni. Emozioni che già avevamo vissuto con la trilogia, ed altre nuove che sbocciano con una conoscenza approfondita e diversa di alcuni personaggi, la scoperta di nuovi aspetti che li riguardano.
Weaver of Dreams ha l'atmosfera onirica perfetta per gli albori, ciò che ha dato origine ai Blood ed al sogno che ha creato - e incarnato - il cuore di Kaeleer.
Zuulaman ci fa capire tante cose...more
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • A Demanda do Visionário
  • The Forbidden Land (The Witches of Eileanan, #4)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar...more
More about Anne Bishop...
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Written in Red (The Others, #1) The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #1-3)

“Is that why you've been pushing me away? Because of how you look? [...] I waited for you my whole life. Yearned for you my whole life. After Tersa told me you were coming, I spent seven hundred years searching for you[....] I never gave a damn what you looked like--tall, short, fat, thin, plain, beautiful, ugly. Why would I care about what you looked like? The flesh was the shell that housed the glory[....] Even if I couldn't be your physical lover, there are other ways to be a lover and I know them all. So don't stand there and tell me how you feel depends on how you look! 150 likes
“O sangramento da lua só me deixa abalada durante três dias num mês. Uma pila torna um homem potencialmente estúpido a qualquer hora do dia.” 6 likes