Start by marking “Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)

Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles #4)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  328 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Pagan's final adventure finds our sarcastic hero a bit older and wiser as he leads his young scribe out of the world of books to brave the real-life dangers of a papal crusade.
Impressed by the bookish Isidore, Pagan Kidrouk -- now Archdeacon of Carcassonne -- hires the boy as his scribe. Eager to flee a cloistered existence, naive Isidore quickly discovers that the real w
Published February 3rd 2005 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Pagan's Scribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pagan's Scribe

Lady Knight
Wow!

I was initially disappointed that Jinks decided not to use Pagan as the narrator here, but after a while Isidore grew on me. He is almost the polar opposite of Pagan's personality, but that is mainly due to his inexperience and innocence. Isidore is also epileptic and since being abandoned at a monastery at a young age, has always believed that his fits are the work of a devil. With Pagan's help he will come to see that his fits are no such thing, that the world is not as black and white, ri
Crowinator
This is the fourth novel in the Pagan series, after Pagan's Crusade, Pagan in Exile, and Pagan's Vows. This one takes place about 20 years after the last book, and it's also the only one not told from Pagan's point of view, which is why it took me so long to pick it up. But when I saw Jinks had published Babylonne, about Pagan's sixteen-year-old daughter, I had to read the final one before I could read it.

In Pagan's Scribe, we meet Isidore, a young scribe who suffers from epilepsy in a time when
Shannon
What!?!?! No fun having a new narrator! Pagan's too serious. I mean, sure, I understand it's twenty-some years later and Pagan's grown older and wiser, but the fact that his entire character changed--no more sarcasm, no more wit. Just a semi-stoic, semi-high-tempered scholar travelling with a redheaded version of a young Pagan...not quite the same feel.

The story does delve into more history about the Crusades, however. A great way to soak up some medieval history, rather than plow through a dry
Amanda McCrina
Mar 16, 2016 Amanda McCrina rated it really liked it
Well.

I can't remember the last time a book made me bawl my eyes out.

I'm going to go curl up and sob for a few more hours.

(view spoiler)
Sophie Yorkston
Aug 20, 2014 Sophie Yorkston rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Decades on and here we are with Pagan again.

But this time, we look at him through the eyes of another orphan, Isidore, who to start is a self-righteous, but cringing and tormented boy. You might be too if you had been told your whole life that your seizures were demonic possession.

Pagan's older and wiser but his tongue-in-cheek wit has not faded. And yet again, we find him in the centre of a war zone.

I'm not going to go too much into this one, because the exploration and growth of the new nar
Kiersten
Not quite up to par with the rest of the series, I felt. I absolutely loved the first three books, and I think the major setbacks here were the change of narrator (Isidore's voice and his portrayal of Pagan as a monk in his thirties was really funny for the first chapter or two, but didn't really hold up over the course of the whole story), the short time span (I feel like it moved too quickly too make the emotional connections really believable), and…a sort of sense of anticlimax. I was hoping ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
When I began to read this book I thought it was going to be awful. First because it is 20 years later than the last book, and second because it's not even Pagan narrating, it's his scribe Isidore. So you can begin to understand my disappointment in how this fourth book of The Pagan Chronicles is not entirely a story about Pagan.
This book is more about Isidore and his view of the world in 1209. Through his eyes we see how the characters we knew from previous books have changed. Even so, the Crus
Jamie
Apr 14, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
Another good book, and Pagan really develops as a man. Again, a little darker than the first two, but compelling nonetheless.
Deborah
Aug 22, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book gets progressively more beautiful as I get older.
Allison
May 28, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
For me, a book is all about the ending, but a series is mostly about development. And this final entry in the Pagan series delivers. I don't know if I'd recommend this to anyone other than people who like YA books with a setting in medieval Jerusalem/France, though. The whole series is an easy, fast read, with a good deal of wittiness, but it didn't grab me. It's pretty violent and brutal. I enjoyed seeing what became of Pagan in his lifetime, and what kind of man he turned out to be. I'm glad I ...more
Jul 07, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Perfectly captured a medieval setting in all its rough crudeness. Though he is certainly a creature of his time, the main character's voice is very modern and his narration adds a humorous, sarcastic tone to the story. The plot itself was pretty complex and political with a lot of places and characters that were a little difficult to keep track of. Based on the first half I'd have given the book 5 stars, but by the end the violence and filth had become too vivid and brutal.
Sarahz
Nov 23, 2013 Sarahz rated it liked it
This is a well researched series, and a quick, interesting read. It did have a far darker ending than I expected.

Spoilers

Roland dies, the city falls, the remaining main characters run away, and then we get an epilogue about all the years of war and torture that followed. To add insult to injury, it even specifies that Pagan died before he could finish writing his book about Roland's life. It's an interesting choice.
Jenny
Apr 22, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
archedeacon Pagan Kidrouk needs a new scribe, fast. Isodore is available, even if he does have fits. Suddenly thrust into a siege he barely understands, Isodore only wants to be near the Archdeacon and read a good book. But the siege isn't going well, and Isodore will face hard choices in the days ahead.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
I wasn't as much of a fan of this last book int he Pagan Chronicles. I didn't find the main character as interesting as Pagan, and Isidore definitely wasn't as witty. I also got tired of people telling him what a find he was.
Katherine
Oct 08, 2012 Katherine rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly good book! I'm usually not really interested in historical fiction, but I picked this up because of a school project, and it turned out to be an interesting story with wonderful characters and good plots.
Terry
Apr 07, 2009 Terry rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
A rather brutal depiction of the Crusade in France proported to be against the Cathar heretics but in reality a justification for a "land grab". Pagan has become an even more interesting character.
Medievalwolf
Aug 29, 2012 Medievalwolf marked it as to-read
I am about to read this though I already now miss Roland and I haven't even started. All of the other three made me cry my heart out. I loved them. Let's see what this one does.
Bronwen
I read the first four Pagan novels when I was younger and loved them, although this one a little less than the first three for some reason. I'd love to read them again some day.
Rowena Daniells
Jun 14, 2012 Rowena Daniells rated it it was amazing
This was the first of Catherine Jinks' books that I read. It is fresh, funny and perceptive. A real winner.
Autumn
Mar 09, 2009 Autumn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Autumn by: MaryAnn Crawford
Sooo good - love Isidore, love the history, cried at the end, wanted much much more of these characters.
Gloria
Aug 02, 2008 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gloria by: Elizabeth
I think I liked this one the best. But I do think it imperative that you have read the first three.
Melanie
The final book of the Pagan Chronicles. Told from Isadore's point of view,Pagan's scribe.
Ashley
Mar 18, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
I just can't bring myself to give it the five stars I gave the other three.
Aedy Juan
Sep 15, 2013 Aedy Juan rated it liked it
It's not as good as the previous three but I still enjoyed reading it.
Keely
I really like it... but i think i prefer pagan's point of view.
Kr
Nov 05, 2012 Kr rated it really liked it
written for younger readers, but engaging nonethless
Kbryna
May 21, 2011 Kbryna rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
more like three and a half stars...
Katherine (DirectorKat)
Aug 17, 2012 Katherine (DirectorKat) rated it it was amazing
A wonderful way to end the series.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • The Road to Gundagai
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • Hidden
  • Writing Clementine
  • Butterflies
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • Ruse: The Victorian Guide to Murder
  • Here's How I See It--Here's How It Is
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • The Waterstone
  • The Shining Company
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • Fearless
  • A Perfect Waiter
  • The Traitor Game
Catherine Jinks is the Australian author of more than thirty books for all ages. She has garnered many awards, including the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award(three times), the Victorian Premier’s Award, the Aurealis Award for Science Fiction, the Australian Ibby Award, and the Davitt Award for Crime Fiction. Her work has been published in Australia, New Zealand, Britain, ...more
More about Catherine Jinks...

Pagan Chronicles (4 books)
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)
  • Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles, #3)