Start by marking “The Science of Mind: the Definitive Edition” as Want to Read:
The Science of Mind: the Definitive Edition

The Science of Mind: the Definitive Edition

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,414 ratings  ·  62 reviews
"The founder of the United Church of Religious Science, an international religious movement, presents his basic spiritual tenets, showing readers how to get in touch with nature's forces and God's healing power."—
Published January 27th 1997 by Tarcher (first published 1938)

Apr 16, 2013 Lucya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who desires happiness
This book is great! I could end my review here. This knowledge is power!Such well worth the time to read this. On our journey here, we all want to better ourselves, whether we admit it or not You do not have to be poor, or miserable, or lonely. Choose what you want. Sit and wait. Know that it is coming. Live expecting good to come. It will. Stop! Do not doubt. Train yourself to think the right way. If you are living a life that is sad and just getting bye, you must stop here and now and begin to ...more
Angelica Taggart
I've read this book every year since 1981 ... everytime I find something new!
Powerful Stuff!
Claude Vertu
Inasmuch as many of the the author's examples contradict his own teachings, the book still deserves 5 stars for its general overall excellence. The Science of Mind is a book that anybody who is serious about understanding universal/quantum concepts should absolutely read, and study, time and again, because it talks about the many aspects of science/religion/spirituality which are left out of most books published today, and in recent times, about these concepts. It goes well beyond the ideal of m ...more
powerful stuff.... whether you believe in 'god' or not, this stuff is good and it works if you allow yourself to try the principles expounded upon and then just observe what occurs... That is the whole truth of the matter.... no matter what anyone might call it... religion, god, whatever, with a Positive Mental Attitude and Focus we can each change our lives. Period.
Vinay K. Venugopal
Great book.. wisdom of ages.
Bless the heart of this author! This book to me was and still is a guide that is helping me in my life. When I got hold of this book, I was going through a tough time in my life trying to find happiness with myself while at the same time trying to to prove myself to those i loved most. This book taught me how to deal with the most difficult situation with Spiritual help. One cannot read this book if you do not believe in God or are not Spiritual in any kind of way. I consider myself lucky to hav ...more
David Teachout

At times sophomoric, at others deeply profound Holmes is here giving the total visionary outline of the religion or spiritual discipline he created. It does not have to be read in order and in fact likely shouldn't, instead perused as a spiritual guide to further understanding the principles of Religious Science. Contemplation is key here as is an appreciation for how standard religious words are used differently. Once clear a whole new world opens up.
Amazing book!!! I recommend to anyone who is a seeker of the meaning of life. The first lesson is a bit confusing but don't quit!! The further along you get it all starts to come together! Truly a life changing book!
Ray Justice
Just loaded with thoughts and realities for understanding how we function as thinking human beings. I have had a copy of this book for many, many years.
Ernest Holmes’ “New Thought” metaphysics is a synthesis from many great and varied sources. He was influenced mostly by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Thomas Troward, Phineas Quimby, Mary Baker Eddy and the Bible. The book’s density, as in - a lot packed into every sentence and paragraph, made it slow going for me. But ultimately worthwhile in gaining insight into his thesis of the One Mind of which we are all a part; we are all the stuff of God – Godstuff – making the world with our thoughts - something ...more
Jim Razinha
The Science of Mind

Don't be fooled by the title - I was, but only until the third paragraph. I don't remember how it got on my list, but once started, I felt I had to train wreck through it. I've read a number of real mind science books in the last couple of years and this this is a simply a largely Christian religious text with a few scientific mentions in it. There is a bit of pseudoscience, but Holmes clearly doesn't think so.

It's unfair to ding Holmes for a 1920s perspective, and it's unfair
Kara Lane
The Science of Mind is a wonderful book written by a great spiritual teacher. In it, Ernest Holmes explains that there is a creative law in the universe which we tap into through our thoughts. He shows us how to apply spiritual principles to everyday life.

He illustrates how man can work out his own destiny and determine what type of life he will lead. He points out that the mind of man is connected to the mind of God. Since the mind of God is infinite, this means man's mind contains unlimited po
I subscribe to "Science of Mind" magazine and really like the philosophy of the reilgion founded by Ernest Holmes. However, I could not finish his classic book. His use of Spirit, Soul, Subconscious, Conscious, Mind, etc. only boggled my mind. So, I gave up on reading it. Will have to content myself with articles of his that appear in the magazine and clearer interpretations of others as to his beliefs.
Evelyn Eve
See: placebo effect

See: religious psychodrama

That said, there is not a whole lot to say about SOM beyond this:

If you believe in it...the whole Universal/Infinite Abundance bit...there is no talking you out of it. And if you don't buy into it, I am just preaching to the choir here.

Insert: random new age joke.

One point I do agree with about this philosophy, though, is the need to reconcile religious practice with science, medicine, and psychology. However, I do not believe this is the philosophy t
I loved this book. It's easy to read, inspiring, and spiritually confirming. I found an old version at a thrift store at a very lonely time in my life, when I first moved to CA and missed family and friends. Another one of those creative visualization / law of attraction books.
This is the most profound book I have ever read. Dr. Holmes combines eastern religion, christianity, metaphysics, positive thinking, creative thought, and affirmation prayer into a tour of the most helpful spiritual, emotional and physical ideas of our time. If you have ever been put-off by conservative religion and an emphasis on guilt and sin, or don't even really even believe in a Higher Force, then even you too will find this useful. Drawing on the Bible and other major spiritual writings an ...more
Excellent to read, as long as you pay attention and don't read it when tired. Unless you can follow a hardcore steady train of thought for long periods of time when sleepy.
What can you say about the book that explains... pretty much everything. This is the instruction manual for life.
== A review of Science of Mind and a critique of New Thought ==

This remains the best textbook of “New Thought” metaphysics. Ernest Holmes (1887-1960) was no doubt the most analytical, comprehensive and scientific (also pseudo-scientific) of metaphysical thinkers and writers in his lifetime. I have admired much of the contents of this book since buying it in the 60s. But reading it, I still find it difficult to mentally stay on course with his terminology from one page to the next. That may partl
For me, this was definitely a "take what you need and leave the rest" sort of book. But what I was able to take from it was really lovely.

I don't subscribe to the whole "if you wear glasses, speak to God and your eyesight will improve" (there is an actual prayer for that specific thing) nor do I believe that cancer or hardened arteries can be "cured by love." ...Or that physical disease is imaginary.

But that said, I liked the way Holmes framed his ideas on positive thinking and positive action.
Kelsey Horton
Science of Mind is like A Course in Miracles -- I feel awkward adding it to my "read" shelf because it's not a book I feel compelled to read from cover to cover. It's heady. It's all-encompassing. But it's a classic that has influenced me and my spirituality so much.
Rick Lenz
After years of psychotherapy, I was looking for something deeper, more soul satisfying, "The Science of Mind," the "Bible" of Ernest Holmes's many books, took me there.
Je Di
This book is what led me to a much deeper and profound spiritual realization of life. The power of our thoughts and words was a concept foreign to me before reading this wonderful work by Ernest Holmes. It began in me a quest to refine my mental chatter and take responsibility for what I claim to be true.

Once you endeavor seriously with what Dr Holmes provides in this wonderful book, expect dramatic, positive results!
Gatlianne Gatlianne
Amazing, thought provoking book that brings a deep and powerful perspective to thought and the creation of our lives.
Earnest Holmes had been referenced in books I've read. I decided to get it straight from Earnest.
Annette Medlin
I've read this multiple times and it always inspires!
Science of Mind textbook by Ernest Holmes---Does it need re-editing? 2 7 Aug 27, 2011 07:03PM
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Practicing the Presence: The Inspirational Guide to Regaining Meaning and a Sense of Purpose in Your Life
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • The Laws of Thinking: 20 Secrets to Using the Divine Power of Your Mind to Manifest Prosperity
  • Prosperity
  • A Philosopher's Notes: On Optimal Living, Creating an Authentically Awesome Life and Other Such Goodness, Vol. 1
  • The Game of Life and How to Play It
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • In Tune with the Infinite
  • The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore
  • Handbook to Higher Consciousness
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Master Key System
  • The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships
  • The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality
  • Your Sacred Self

“Electricity was a reality in the universe when Moses led the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt. This is true of all natural laws; they have always existed but only when understood may they be used.” 18 likes
“There is one power in the Universe and we can all use it.” 18 likes