Start by marking “La Vaca Que Decia Oink (the Cow That Went Oink)” as Want to Read:
La Vaca Que Decia Oink (the Cow That Went Oink)

La Vaca Que Decia Oink (the Cow That Went Oink)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  45 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. A cow that oinks and a pig that moos are ridiculed by the other barnyard animals until each teaches the other a new sound.
Published March 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published September 12th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about La Vaca Que Decia Oink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Vaca Que Decia Oink

Mandy Couch
I liked this book due to the fact of all the noises that children can make to go along with this book. This book teaches, teamwork, respect, and also social and emotional issues. I feel this concepts are very important to implement in young children so that they understand how important it is to show respect, help out others, never make fun of or judge someone and how to express their feelings. I feel this book goes hand in hand with each of these topics.

Activity:
I would give the children a buck
Karen
For Valentine's Day one year, I painted a big shipping box to look like a barn and put in it a plush cow and a pig and this book, and gave it to my then two-year-old son. Weird -- yeah, maybe. Smart -- yeah, definitely. He likes the toys and the book, and all of his farm animals are now housed in the barn box.

I first encountered this book in its oversized version when my friend and former colleague, Louise N., were looking for books for Reader's Theatre. We found this book, and since we already
Madeline Feldman
The Cow That Went OINK is a heartwarming book about accepting yourself as you are, and learning that being different from the crowd is okay. The book begins with a cow who can only say OINK, not MOO like the other cows, and because of this he is isolated from the other cows. Soon after, he meets a pig who can only say MOO, which isolates him from the other pigs at the farm as well. During the course of the story, the cow and pig become friends and after many trials and failed attempts, finally t ...more
Lea
In this story, a cow gets made fun of because she can only say "OINK" instead of "MOO". She gets teased by all of the other farm animals, but one day hears a friendly "MOO". But instead of it being from a fellow cow, it is from a pig who cannot say "OINK". These animals befriend each other and teach the other to be able to say their words. Pretty soon, both animals can say "OINK" and "MOO" and tease the others on the farm for not being able to say more than one word.

This books is meant to teach
Carol
Oct 09, 2008 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Helena brought it home from the library
Shelves: childrens
Four and a half stars really!

Helena brought this home from her school library. It is really a charming tale about a cow that can only oink and a pig that can only moo. The other animals on the farm laugh at them, so the cow teaches the pig to oink and the pig teaches the cow to moo. They become the only two on the farm that can speak more than one language!

The pictures are straight forward and plain, just as they need to be. Rhu (the toddler) LOVES it for all the animal sounds he gets to hear a
Kelsey Vayens
I really enjoyed reading this book. The Cow That Went OINK is a picture book that describes the frustrations of a cow who unlike the other cows can not moo. Instead he can only oink, and because of that, he is seen differently. He then meets a pig that couldn't oink and could only moo, and from there, they help each other in learning how to moo and oink. This book is something young children could definitely relate to. Sometimes we often find ourselves not fitting in with others because we may b ...more
Risa
Children will enjoy listening and trying out the sounds in this book. The genre of this book is onomatopoeia. When children are exposed to this kind of rich literary experience, they are able to practice new sounds of the alphabet and build the confidence that they need to be readers that enjoy reading. This is also a story about an unexpected friendship. These two unlikely friends enjoy a learning experience together so that they are now the smartest animals around, (and still the silliest!)

Ext
Jennie Park
This is a very easy read that younger elementary students will enjoy! The story is about a pig who "moo's" and a cow who "oink's" and how they are made fun of because they don't make the proper animal noises like they are supposed to. The pig and the cow then both decide to teach each other how to make one another's sound. The two animals have the last laugh in the end when they are the only animals who can make two different animal noises. We could use this story to compare it to people who are ...more
Rachel Coyne
Why not be bilingual? This has special meaning in our house.
Mary Sesar
This book was about cow that oinked and always got laughed at by all the other animals. He runs into a pig that moo'd and they teach each other how to moo and oink. When they finally learned they showed the other animals how happy they were that not only could they do what they were supposed to be able to do, but they could make another noise also.
I would use this to show children that people may do things they can't help and that they shouldn't be made fun of because of it.
Satin
I loved this book!! In this story there was a cow that went OINK! Being that she couldnt say MOO the other animal, especially the cows constantly laughed at her. After many lonely days the cow, meets a pig that MOO! The two work together to teach each other the proper sound they should make. I enjoyed the story, but I absolutley loved the wy the animals laughed throughout the story ( rooster= cock-a-doodle-ha, turkey= gobble-ha, hee-haw-ha= donkey)
Mandy Sue
Feb 20, 2010 Mandy Sue added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3-7 year olds
Recommended to Mandy Sue by: Library
This is an adorable story about a cow that speaks pig, and a pig that speaks cow. Unfortunately the other farm animals make fun of them, so they help each other to speak their proper language and end up with the last laugh.

An excellent book to teach your children why it's not okay to judge those who are different from us.

Also, an easy beginner reader that my first grader enjoyed reading to his brother.
Iesha
This book has a great story line and meaning, that being different is ok. That you can use your differences to share with others and build friendshiops. You can also use this book to identify what sounds the farm animals should make with young children.

L.E. After the book do an exercise with the students to see if they can recall all the sounds that each farm animal made in this story.
Alice
This is a good book about animals sounds....the cow goes...oink? And it is also good about learning diversity as the pig goes moo. All the cows go moo except for one...and he is teased....then he meets a pink that can only moo. They become friends and help each other to learn their 'language' then they are bilingual and no one else on the farm is... Cute book!
Jackie
Individuality and differences are what make the cow that goes 'oink' and the pig that goes 'moo' special and unique. When all the other barnyard creatures laugh at them, pig and cow decide to make the most of their uniqueness...and create a new sound made just for them.

Used for "Cheep, Oink, and Moo: Chicken, Pork, and Beef" storytime-April, 2010.
Amy
This was a clever book that kids will get a kick out of. This is a great book to read and then talk about our differences as people and that some things are not "the norm," and this is okay. I would definitely use this in my classroom so that children can enjoy it and see that it is okay being different than what others expect you to be.
Christy
A story about a cow that went oink, he was made fun of by all of the animals on the farm. He meets a pig that can only go moo! They become friends and teach each other how to speak. This is a great story to teach to young children because of the lesson inside of the story- "you shouldn't make fun of someone just because they are different."
Moehee01
I used this book in story time this morning, and the kids loved it!! They laughed throughout the story, particularly when I was impersonating the cow trying to moo, and the pig trying to oink. I'm a little ashamed I had not discovered this treasure of a book sooner...glad to have a new addition to my storytime staples collection.

Kathy
For babies or toddlers learning animal sounds--a funny book where the cow says oink and the pig says moo and the other animals have their normal noises except that there is a "ha" added like neigh-ha, cluck-ha. Eventually the cow and pig teach each other the sound they know and have the last laugh.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
This book is about a Cow that oinks and a pig tha moos. When the two farm animals realized they are not the regular cow and pig, they decided to teach each other the sounds they were supposed to make.
The book provides children about two "uncommon" farm animals and teaches them lessons on friengship.
Kristine Pratt
A book designed to get the reader to make animal sounds....lots and lots of very silly animal sounds. Delightful all the way around. Sure the pictures are simple, but the story is cute and teaches a gentle lesson to little ones while they sit giggling over the strange noises you're making.
Destinee Sutton
This is a book about the courage to become a bilingual farm animal. It's really funny and a great chance for kids to practice their farm animal noises.

P.S. I think it's funny that the goat says "nanny" and the frog says "gribet." Gribet? What happened to ribbit?
Kelly
While the book itself isn't technically multilingual, it uses animals as a venue to discuss the process and social challenges of becoming bilingual and of language diversity in general. The text allows for valuable conversations in the classroom.
Katie
This cow cannot moo! He meets a pig that can only oink. They become friends and teach each other how to moo and oink. Great for students who sometimes feel like they don't fit in. Excellent to keep in your classroom library.
Kathryn Joyce
A funny book that shows students that it okay to be different. The students will be able to see the best ablities in each other. I would possibly use this in morning meeting during the first weeks of school.
Samantha
A new favorite! It was funny to think about cows that went oink and pigs that went moo. If you're stretching you can even make it into a book about acceptance as well.
Megan
Jul 01, 2013 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers-kindergarten, bilingual children
This would be a good book to help bilingual children to understand how cool it is that they can speak two languages! Also, just a funny book for emerging readers.
Carolyn
What is weirder than an oinking cow? How about a mooing pig? or a cow and pig that are bilingual. A great book about how two outsiders help each other.
Emily Augustus --Louisville KY
This is a cute book about friendship. It can teach children to help their friends. It is also great for farm theme and teaching students animal sounds.
Lee
A great book for bilingual children or...for pinheaded close minded dorks who completely lack tolerance and understanding for others.
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Clink
  • Brontorina
  • Hungry Hen
  • Edward and the Pirates
If the Dinosaurs Came Back Cock-a-Doodle-Moo! ABC T-Rex Whatever Happened to the Dinosaurs? Z-Z-Zoink!