Start by marking “Frenemies (Frenemies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Frenemies (Frenemies, #1)

Frenemies (Frenemies #1)

What happens when two besties become full-blown worsties?

Avalon Greene rules the fashion scene at her sunny SoCal middle school with a diamond-clad fist, calling out classmates for their fashion-do's and most unfortunate clothes-pas. She's determined to host the social event of the season—a soiree in honor of her forever-friendship with Halley! Unfortunately, Halley's new
Published May 13th 2008 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Frenemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frenemies

Anna
Avalon and Halley have been Havalon, aka, best friends for as long as they can remember. But after Halley comes back from summer art camp in California, and Avalon had stayed home, things are different.

They decide to throw a Friendapalooza – but that was before Havalon got into a fight. The only way their moms will let them throw the party is if they act like they’re still friends, however. They do this in front of their parents, but lead separate lives at school.

The one thing I found wrong with
Jennifer Wardrip
May 04, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it liked it
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

Move over THE CLIQUE and THE ASHLEYS…the FRENEMIES are here to stay.

Avalon and Halley have been best friends forever. Their backyards connect and they share custody of their dog, Pucci. They are the fashion gurus at Seaview Middle School.

The summer going into eighth grade changes everything between the two BFFs. Halley has gone off to an art program at Berkley for the summer, leaving Avalon alone. While at Berkley, Halley befriends Sofee, the girl that up u
Nadine
Oct 28, 2015 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond dit een mooi boek. Over hoe 2 beste vriendinnen opeens elkaars ergste vijanden kunnen worden. Ze schreven ook de ergste dingen over elkaar.het gaat hier in dit boek over Avalon en Halley. de ruzie gaat over van alles en nog wat.
het was een leuk boek om te lezen. ik had het in een keer uit. ook was het niet heel moeilijk om te lezen.
Ezra Mae
Apr 30, 2011 Ezra Mae rated it did not like it
I don't like this book because it's TOO childish and very lame.
Steph (Reviewer X)
Jan 28, 2009 Steph (Reviewer X) rated it really liked it
I'm bad at listing out reasons I liked certain books. Frenemies is one of those - I can't pinpoint exactly what worked here. If I had to take a guess, I would say it's the execution. The plot itself wouldn't be able to carry the novel as strongly as the writing did. For that Alexa Young deserves a commended performance. Her snappy, subtly-engaging narrative is brilliant, graceful and effortless. Tip of the iceberg though.

I'm sure we all remember what it was like to be thirteen, when even the sli
Rachael
Apr 29, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it
Avalon Greene and Halley Brandon have been best friends since forever. Avalon decides to throw a party to celebrate this friendship right after the beginning of eighth grade, and event Halley isn’t too wild about at first but eventually accepts. They are coauthors of their school’s fashion blog which nearly the entire school reads. But after their first summer apart from one another, it seems as if each girl has found new friends and a new style. Or is it all just a big understanding? Either way ...more
Tasha
Aug 01, 2009 Tasha rated it really liked it
Avalon and Halley have always been the ultimate best friends. They live right behind each other, they share their beloved puppy Pucci, and this year they even get to co-host a fashion blog for their school's newspaper. At the beginning of eighth grade Avalon decides to throw a huge party in honor of the girls' friendship. Halley's not that keen but, for the sake of her friend, she goes along with it. Things start to go down hill from there. The girls can't seem to agree on anything, be it fashio ...more
Adele
Apr 04, 2009 Adele rated it liked it
This is the first MG novel I have written a review for and as such I am trying to keep in mind the target audience and not think about how old I am! There is so much brand dropping that I was lost in the knowledge that I have zero fashion recall. But I know that the girls that I teach will relish in every label, every description and every colour and it's fabulously fun.

Halley and Avalon came across as blatantly superficial but I really didn't mind as their exploits were freaking hilarious. But
Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it
Avalon Green, blond and beautiful, and Halley Brandon, dark-haired and breathtaking, have been best friends since forever. The one thing that they’ve always had in common is fashion. The girls are getting ready to start eighth grade after their summer apart. Avalon has planned a huge party celebrating their friendship, but when Halley arrives home from her summer at art camp the girls realize that something is different.

The girls have grown apart during the summer. Or perhaps they have just disc
Lauren (Shooting Stars Mag) Becker
Frenemies is a Middle-Grade novel that focues on best friends, Halley and Avalon, who have grown up side by side as soon as they were born. Throughout the years they planned to start their own fashion magazine and were always there for each other. Now that the pair have turned 13 years old and spent a whole summer apart, they're starting to realize that best friends forever is harder than it sounds. Starting school, the two best friends turn into each other's two worst enemies...after all, the p ...more
Deltay
Aug 16, 2009 Deltay rated it it was ok
In Frenemies Alexa Young has struck just the chord when it comes to teenybopper friendships. Individually, Halley Brandon and Avalon Greene are both likeable enough characters. Together though, they're explosive. Throughout the course of Frenemies, characterization was well done. Although a little more development before the major fall out would have been nice, sometimes tween-teen friendships can be fickle, especially since at that age, even little things can seem like the end of the world.

Emot
Terry
Apr 11, 2008 Terry rated it it was ok
Halley Brandon and Avalon Greene are the "It" girls in the eighth grade class at Seaview Middle School. They've been friends since Kindergarten, and until this summer when Halley went to Art Camp, they were inseparable. The time away introduced something new to their friendship: independence and the opportunity to pursue a personal interest. But it also has affected their friendship.

The author is an incredibly talented writer, and what kept me reading was her witty, clever use of language. That
Jenny
Jun 13, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
Avalon Greene and Halley Brandon, two of Socal middle school’s “it” girls, are always on top of the latest fashion trend. They’re used to being on top of the chain when it comes to clothes but once they disagree on something, they will strangle each other! Find out what happens when two best friends get into a trivial fight and end up being in a war that even involves their cute little puppy, Pucci.

I picked this book up because the blurb was funny and interesting. This book really shows you how
Jordan
Dec 10, 2009 Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-copies
Frenemies was a cute novel that I am sure many young girls can relate to. The plot was very good and didnt take awhile to get into and I just kept reading. Before I knew it I was done. This is definitely a good light, weekend read.

One thing I really liked about about Alexa's writing was that she put a lot of description in and that helps to make the picture in my head more distinct and I know exactly what she was seeing while she wrote.

I would recommend this book for almost any young adult read
BookChic Club
Jan 14, 2012 BookChic Club rated it really liked it
This book was very good as well as being absolutely hilarious, though it is definitely a book for the younger set of teens that are around the same ages as Avalon and Halley (i.e. 12 or so). It was a real page-turner to see what was happening with Avalon and Halley as their lives seperated, and they each did their own thing and I was sad to see it end, but more books are on the way, which is great! Reading their fashion column (also done seperately once they become frenemies) was a great additio ...more
Ashlyn Rae (TeenageReader)
Nov 24, 2010 Ashlyn Rae (TeenageReader) rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I thought that Frenemies was alright. I feel like I’ve read this before, so it was a type of book where I knew what would happen when the story ended. I thought the characters had good personalities. Avalon is very fashionable and isn’t afraid to get what she wants, while Halley is nice and caring. Both of them share personalities in different ways which makes the story more enjoyable. Though I don’t think I will continue to read this series. I recommend this book to fans of Pretty Little Liars, ...more
Taylor
May 20, 2008 Taylor rated it really liked it
This is a fun read, and not totally snarky like I thought. Well...a little snarky. But it definitely reminded me of relationships I've had with girl friends over the years, and how volatile they can be. Girls at this age feel their emotions intensely, and this book showed that. I loved the internal struggle Avalon and Halley had, fighting between their own hurt and protecting their feelings, but still having great love for each other.
Catherine
Jun 27, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing
If you are a girly girl you will like it!
Avalon Greene and Hayley Brandon are best friends. Avalon is the queen bee of the group while Hadley is more the kick ass girl who knows what she wants. Some hilarious bits "'But not from tar jay!' Avalon added. 'of course not!' Diana or something added looking disturbed". Some great middle school bitchiness"Haha they should put it on boob tube!" but overall great for kids going into cliquey stages. 5 stars!!
Kristen
Sep 02, 2008 Kristen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: clothing an popularity obsessed tweens
Well here's the other straight YA book that was mis-shelved at the Strand under teen LBGT. This might be considered campy for all the endless description about clothing, but no lesbians in sight.
Arielle Calma
May 05, 2013 Arielle Calma is currently reading it
Emily Elisabeth
Jun 24, 2009 Emily Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Yeah it was good, but what are 8th graders doing obsessing over fashion and well, I get the boys thing!
Alison ☆彡
Rating: 3,5 stars

GOD I USED TO LOVE THIS BOOK! I've re-read them lots of time when I was younger. This book is basically my childhood.
Bela
May 30, 2013 Bela rated it really liked it
This book is really good. You can learn about how two girls are best friends, and then turn into frenemies!! If you see the movie, it's EVEN better!
Meredith
Oct 28, 2008 Meredith rated it liked it
I can not give it a full reveiw yet since I have only read less than half. but so far it is fantasic!
Karina
Mar 30, 2013 Karina rated it liked it
Actual rating, 3.5 stars.

It's like countless other YA novels about high school and its problems. Not much different from other stuff I've read.
Sebastre Desastre
Sep 21, 2016 Sebastre Desastre rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
This was painful to read, even when I was younger. I really wonder why I even picked up the second book after that...
Whitney
It dragged on a little bit. But i want to be a designer and all the fashion talk was driving me NUTS!
prettyfacekay
Oct 12, 2011 prettyfacekay marked it as to-read
Belle
Belle rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
GLAMNESIA RELEASE US 2 2 Sep 16, 2013 07:40PM
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • Amor and Summer Secrets (Amor and Summer Secrets, #1)
  •  How to Rock Break-Ups and Make-Ups
  • Six Kinds of Sky: A Collection of Short Fiction
  • Me, In Between
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • The School for Cool (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #2)
  • A Girl in Parts
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • The Second Virginity of Suzy Green
  • Beautiful Disaster (Privilege, #2)
  • Popular Clone (The Clone Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
  • Everybody Bugs Out (Annabelle Unleashed)
  • The Good, the Fab, and the Ugly (Poseur, #2)
  • Sealed With a Kiss (Yours Truly, Lucy B. Parker #2)
  • Solving Zoe
  • Violet by Design (Violet, #2)
The FRENEMIES (HarperTeen, May 13, 2008) author was born and raised about 60 miles southeast of Los Angeles in a town called Riverside—which she often refers to as “the armpit of California,” largely because the place is a smog belt (a technical term for being majorly polluted). The area is also well known for crime and gangs (and it’s the city from where gold-digger Julie Cooper, of the awesome T ...more
More about Alexa Young...

Frenemies (3 books)
  • Faketastic (Frenemies, #2)
  • Glamnesia (Frenemies, #3)