Start by marking “Darkside” as Want to Read:
Darkside

Darkside

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  25 reviews
At the US Naval Academy, the students refer to the administration as the Darkside, a nickname befitting the secrecy and manipulation that occur behind closed office doors. So when a first-year student falls to his death from a campus building, the Academy tenses as the Darkside begins to creep out of the shadows to cut off any potential scandal.

Retired naval aviator Ev Ma
Published October 19th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published December 2nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Darkside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkside

Bev
Peter Deutermann is a new author to me. Having finished all of the Michael Connelly books, I was looking for a new audio book and went with something that was read by Dick Hill, who has done so many of the Connelly books. This was a good choice.

The story starts with a plebe taking a dive off the 8th floor of one of the dormitories of the Naval Academy at Annapolis. What seems on the surface to be an accident, or (worse for Academy image) a suicide, starts becoming suspicious when Midshipman Firs
Stephanie Moglia
Man, this book was creepy. I read the first chapter of this book at the end of another Deutermann book and knew instantly I would have to finish it. Similar to his other book I read, you "knew" who the killer/bad guy was throughout the story, though in this one you didn't explicitly know the person's name until later on, but heard from them throughout. I had no trouble blazing through this one, as the suspense kept me hooked, staying up late to finish. Characters were well developed, I definitel ...more
Larry
Originally Published on The Founding Fields (www.thefoundingfields.com)

Larry reviews the book and audiobook of Darkside by PT Deutermann, read by Dick Hill. Published on St Martin’s Press. Originally published on December 1st, 2002

A dark grim thriller about a murder at Annapolis, a smashing good read – The Founding Fields

A dark thriller set at Annapolis, the United States Naval Academy. A Midshipman plebe lands in a plaza from six stories up. At first rule
Anne Broyles
Someone gave me a beaten-up copy of this book, so I thought it would be a good airplane read to pass on to someone else when I finished. Bingo! This is not a book or author I would have chosen on my own, but the fast-paced thriller kept me reading not only from Boston to Tucson, but the same day I arrived in Tucson, I stayed up late to finish the book. A psycho lose at the Naval Academy? An unjustly accused Midshipman? I entered a world of which I knew nothing and thoroughly inhabited it for 500 ...more
Booklady
Deutermann is one of my favorite authors. In this story the daughter is connected to a pleb's death at the Annapolis Naval Academy and her father (a professor there) is in a race to prove her innocence between the authorities (the Darkside) make her the scapegoat. In his usual style, Deutermann puts in his twists and plots that has the reader guessing until the very end.
Jim
Deutermann is one of my favorite writers, and this is a great mystery. Good characters. Fun to have five main characters to follow and see interact until they come together in the drama and action. Book takes place at the Navel Academy which may be the sixth character in the book.
Pat
I just didn't get into all the Academy lingo used in this book. I liked the characters, but the constant referencing to "inside" language just slowed the book down for me. And I completely skipped the "voice" of the bad guy. Another maniac. Who cares. The ending, too, was just silly.
Mblaineeichin
A basic thriller, but written well for a fun, light read. It takes place at the Naval Acadamy, a place I visisted once, so that made it more fun for me, I think.
Jyoung927
typical deutermann, not the best writing ever, but fast paced and detailed enough to keep you interested. noticed a lot of editorial mistakes in this one...
Chris
This easily my least favorite Deutermann book. I thought it was a bit creepy (and I don't like creepy), plus I really did not like the ending.
Laurie (Kwiltreader)
Murder at the Naval Academy. Good mystery, lots of intrigue, just enough detail, some history, moved at fast pace and exciting.
Awesome Read! I would read this more than once. It has action, suspense, great plot, characters and leaves you breahtless!
Mitch Johnston
Read (listened) via Audible. Another great collaboration between P.T. Deutermann and Dick Hill (narrator).
Harry Lane
Fast paced thriller. Seemed well-grounded in Naval Academy physical layout and lore.
Fred
Interesting plot revels some of the pitfalls of the military colleges.
Barbara
Loved it! Had never heard of Deutermann until I read this book.
Hrn1947
great ending. more books could follow.jim hall is worth keeping.
Tami
It started out slow but boy did I get hooked after a few chapters.
Doris
Really enjoyed this book. Kept me very interested.
Wilma Rebstock
I thought this was pretty good, especially the end.
Linda
Good thriller based at the Naval Academy.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 04, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
surprise ending, awfully involved
Michael Goltz
Michael Goltz marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Shawn
Shawn added it
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Watch Me
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • The Law of Second Chances
  • The Eighth Day
  • The Crime Writer
  • Opening Moves (Patrick Bowers Files, #0.5)
  • The Blue Hour
  • Cape Perdido (Cape Perdido, #3)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Falling Glass
  • Men In Blue (Badge Of Honor, #1)
  • Double Image
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Back Of Beyond (Cody Hoyt, #1)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Dead Connection (Ellie Hatcher #1)
  • The Devil's Banker
  • Sunset Limited (Dave Robicheaux, #10)
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of sixteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association. His most recent novel is Ghosts of Bungo Suido, pu ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...
The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1) Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2) Pacific Glory Hunting Season Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)