Start by marking “Outline of a Theory of Practice” as Want to Read:
Outline of a Theory of Practice

Outline of a Theory of Practice

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A translation of the study in which Bourdieu develops the theory for his empirical work, based on fieldwork in Kabylia, Algeria.
Published June 2nd 1977 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Outline of a Theory of Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outline of a Theory of Practice

Alex
May 10, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
In your heart you know he's right.

"Hello, I'm Pierre. It looks like you want to solve all the problems and problematic dichotomies that have continually been plaguing the human sciences. May I assist you?"

I feel that part of why Bourdieu is today's doxa is because he synthesizes all the insights of the Heroes. All the old-fashioned theorists that you spent so much time learning, but thought you'd never see again (the toys you abandoned when you left childhood) are all there at this shindig at Bo
Lotz
May 27, 2016 Lotz rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthropologize
Huck Finn on Bourdieu:

I ain’t never seen such scribblin' before in my life. No sir, not from no con artists or carpet baggers, nor from no preachin' type neither. This man sure know how to give a man a headache, I tell you. He sayin' all sorts of stuff, like “structuring structures” and a “present past that tends to perpetuate itself into the future” that make me want to lie down. Shoot. Maybe it’s because he parler voo francey and this was Englished by some nut case, but maybe he's crazy in Fre
Justin Evans
Sep 22, 2011 Justin Evans rated it liked it
Shelves: history-etc
The best thing about this book is the blurb from the Times Higher Ed Supplement:

"OTP can be highly recommended as a complex and often beautifully written piece of philosophical literature."

*BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN*??? What the heck were they reading before this, Hegel translated into Linear B????

Execrable prose style aside, this is well worth reading, particularly if you can resist the temptation to read it all. If you're an anthropologist, no doubt his musings on the Kabyla ritual year calendar
Jeff Culver
Oct 15, 2011 Jeff Culver rated it really liked it
Plan on averaging about 4 pages an hour.
Jessica Zu
Nov 20, 2013 Jessica Zu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rel501
I read Bourdieu as a philosopher first, a phenomenologist in particular, and a neo-Marxist second. Outline of a Theory of Practice is definitely the corner stone of all his later more famous work. The more appropriate title for it should be Outline of a Theory of the Genesis of Practice. This is because what he offers here is a meta-theory thoroughly debunking our modern Fetishism (first voiced by Marx but never fully developed) of scienticism: long live the objective observer; long live the obj ...more
nell
May 28, 2009 nell rated it liked it
Shelves: theory
i hear its better in french. and if i had time to outline every sentence perhaps it would be easier to follow. that said, how can one not love structuring structures?
Nick Wellings
Sep 29, 2013 Nick Wellings rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. 10 stars out of 5.
Andrew
Molasses-thick, filled with structuralist concepts and analyses of the Kabyle habitus and doxa, this isn't a work by the Bourdieu I came to know and love in La Distinction. But some of is analyses are truly insightful, making room for both structure and agency, recognizing the role of physical motion in establishing practice, and proving that there is a middle ground between relativism and objectivity. Not a breezy afternoon read, but an important contribution to social theory, and one I'm glad ...more
Elena
"The most successful ideological effects are those which have no need of words, and ask no more than complicitous silence".

Unreadable at first yet very interesting once you adjust to the style of thought (and translation). It's a mix of everything: anthropological research in Algeria, parallel marriages, rites and rituals, male vs female and all other dichotomies, economics, linguistics - all brought up together to viciously fight against "outdated" epistemological principles.

Oh, and, of course
Amber
Aug 14, 2008 Amber added it
This is the last book of the summer for Art Theory Summer Camp. I would not call this an easy read, but Bourdieu provides an excellent tool kit for looking at the assumptions we all have when asking questions and how the question itself reveal our bias.

Jeffrey Towey
Feb 02, 2014 Jeffrey Towey rated it it was amazing
I keep going back to this book because it takes the Wittgensteinian line of representing philosophy as an intellectual error - but the catch is, as Aristotle observed, even those who attack philosophy are doing philosophy!
Mark Dellenbaugh
Aug 17, 2011 Mark Dellenbaugh rated it liked it
"Almost comically obtuse at time (in the great French postmodern tradition!) but this work does a good job introducing some key concepts in social anthropology such as ""doxa."""
S.
Jul 02, 2015 S. rated it did not like it
The writing is incomprehensible. Perhaps it is better in French?
phatic
Jun 06, 2011 phatic rated it it was amazing
Mon dieu, it's Bourdieu!

"The logical relations constructed by the anthropologist is opposed to "practical" relationships -- practical because continually practiced, kept up, and cultivated -- in the same way as the geometrical space of a map, an imaginary representation of all possible roads and routes, is opposed to the networks of the beaten paths."
Ana Paula
Nov 09, 2015 Ana Paula rated it really liked it
Terminei!!!
Espen Knutsen
May 21, 2013 Espen Knutsen rated it it was ok
His language makes this book just barely comprehensible, some of his articles are better. Seems silly to need people to interpret your jargon. Of course very important theory here nevertheless.
Nisha
Jul 30, 2007 Nisha rated it really liked it
thanks pooja for sending me this book. it is a very difficult book, as one sentence is a paragraph long!! tough read but very important theory for my MA thesis:)
Ty
Apr 08, 2009 Ty rated it liked it
I found this one particularly dry but none the less brought up many important things to keep in mind when conducting ethnographical studies.
Kevin
Mar 13, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Not a particularly easy or riveting read, but its full of great theoretical concepts and you need to interact with it.
Beth
Jan 07, 2008 Beth marked it as to-read
I have already read this, but it was for school, and I would like to read it again (and absorb more.)
Yang
Feb 21, 2015 Yang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology
I am impressed!
Jessi Marie
Oct 13, 2014 Jessi Marie rated it really liked it
Difficult read that I had to supplement with several other readings in order to fully grasp Bourdieu's practice theory. Important theory on the structuring structure of society, incorporating his concepts of habitus, capital, and field, and applying it to the Algerian Kabyle tribe that he was studying.
Kristin
Sep 19, 2010 Kristin is currently reading it
getting through it very slowly
Anzir Tanjung
Anzir Tanjung rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Amrita Singh
Amrita Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Grecia Partida
Grecia Partida rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Selwond Ashyver
Selwond Ashyver marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
唐朝不死
唐朝不死 rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
  • Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic Among the Azande
  • Economy and Society: An Outline of Interpretive Sociology
  • The Savage Mind
  • The Social Life of Things
  • Anthropology as Cultural Critique: An Experimental Moment in the Human Sciences
  • Argonauts of the Western Pacific
  • The Sociological Imagination
  • The Practice of Everyday Life
  • The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life
  • The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration
  • Culture & Truth: The Remaking of Social Analysis
Bourdieu pioneered investigative frameworks and terminologies such as cultural, social, and symbolic capital, and the concepts of habitus, field or location, and symbolic violence to reveal the dynamics of power relations in social life. His work emphasized the role of practice and embodiment or forms in social dynamics and worldview construction, often in opposition to universalized Western philo ...more
More about Pierre Bourdieu...