Start by marking “Another Day in Paradise: International Humanitarian Workers Tell Their Stories” as Want to Read:
Another Day in Paradise: International Humanitarian Workers Tell Their Stories

Another Day in Paradise: International Humanitarian Workers Tell Their Stories

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sudan, Rwanda, Somalia, Afghanistan, Bosnia, the Gaza Strip... Places that evoke scenes of unimaginable suffering and hardship, the human condition at its worst. But they are also places that highlight humanity at its best -- the capacity for generosity, self-sacrifice, and compassion. Among those who live at the intersection of these realities are thousands of internation ...more
Published October 6th 2003 by Orbis Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Another Day in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Day in Paradise

Jennifer Orr
Short accounts from humanitarian workers in the late 90s and early 2000s. Because the stories are short, they lack conflict history and sometimes depth. Good variety of perspectives from a range of experiences and backgrounds. May not contain anything new to those already familiar with the field.
Leeankh
I really liked this book. I've been fascinated by humanitarian work for many years. I've read more about the Peace Corps than most people I know. This book was written for people like me. :)

The stories aren't candy coated. They are gritty and real and cover the horror as well as the beauty of the work. Some people would read this book and feel turned off from humanitarian work. But, when I read it, it deepens my understanding of what it takes and I feel encouraged to explore my humanitarian sid
Ryan
Jul 27, 2011 Ryan added it
the collection provides a pretty darn good depiction of what the various aid workers face in their day-to-day activities in different places around the world. Bergman covers her ass as far as providing as complete a picture as she could, from the writers that submitted their experiences, and they are all really quite distinct from one another, although some similarities are bound to show up.

the only way to truly understand what it is like is to jump right in and experience it first hand, i thin
Rachel
Humanitarian workers telling stories about their time in the field. Each of the stories portrays another side of relief efforts. I would recommend it to anyone interested in working abroad in this field. It was very interesting and brought some very real considerations to light.
Stories from aid workers around the world. Sad. Uplifting. Horrifying. Motivating
Jan
Great book about the experiences of selfless humanitarians working abroad.
Julia Wolst
Julia Wolst marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Tao Tao
Tao Tao marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Zinnia
Zinnia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Michelle Alyssa
Michelle Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ashlynn Shanahan
Ashlynn Shanahan marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Cailin
Cailin marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Summer Brennan
Summer Brennan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Romona Narine
Romona Narine marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Ashton Atkinson
Ashton Atkinson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sidney Poitier Sitting for Klimt: Five Novellas Searching for Fritzi What Returns to Us Say Nothing: A Margaret Singer Murder Mystery