Start by marking “Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House” as Want to Read:
Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House

Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House

Born in a log cabin on the Kentucky frontier, Abraham Lincoln faced a life
of extreme poverty and hardship. Without losing his gentle nature and sense of
humor, he surmounted these and many other obstacles to attain the highest
office in the land and the enduring love of the American people.
Published June 12th 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published November 12th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Lincoln

Gale
May 12, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, us-history
EASILY ACCESSIBLE PRESIDENTIAL INFORMATION

Sterling North's informative biography reads easily and should hold the attention of preteen students. The format includes: straight biographical narrative using simple syntax, short quotes from Lincoln's own memoires, fictionalized dialogue and reports by his cousin, Dennis Hanks--in backwoods dialect no less. Although the last chapters gloss over the Civil War and Lincoln's untimely assassination this 150-page book offers real insight into the events
Jessika
Truthfully, I'd have to say this slim biography of our 16th president deserves 3.5 stars.

This is a book I've had since I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure I read it at least once. It's evident that this book is marketed for younger readers, and it's definitely one I'd recommend for young ones interested in history and in particular, Abraham Lincoln. I'd venture to say, though, that this is more geared for readers in 9th or 10th grade than for early chapter book readers.

Actually, to tell the truth
Laura Verret
Abraham Lincoln was president of our nation during one of the most critical times in American history. People argue over whether he was the best or worst president ever – that issue will never be settled to the satisfaction of all. But what everyone does acknowledge is that President Lincoln – the man and his policies – still affect our nation today and is thus worth studying.

Abe Lincoln: Log Cabin to White House tells Lincoln’s story, beginning with his birth and working through his life. His l
Bhg
Nov 22, 2012 Bhg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE

After reading Carl Sandburg's Abe Lincoln Grows Up and Russell Freedman's atrocious "photobiography" it was a pleasure to read a book that's abut it's subject and not the poliitical views of the author.

Sterling North quotes the Declaration of Independence correctly and has some great, and accurate quotes from Thomas Jefferson.

As always the Landmark series is the gold standard.

Dr.J.G.
From the famous log cabin and rail splitting to being a lawyer, courting Mary Todd (who almost married his handsome and well to do rival in law, politics and love, but was far more interested in the poor Lincoln, enough to wait just enough to have him ask her finally) to being elected over his rival into the white house and be the president during troubled years of US history of civil war and end of slavery.
Bernadette
Jul 01, 2009 Bernadette rated it liked it
Just finished teaching the grade 11's about the Gettysburg Address. So went through a real Lincoln stage.
Marilyn
Aug 23, 2009 Marilyn rated it it was ok
This book is for 6th graders. I felt like a 6th grader as I read it. I was reminded of a few of Lincoln's quirks and of his life.
Terry L. Montgomery
Terry L. Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2008
RubyRidingHood
RubyRidingHood rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Michael McCue
Michael McCue rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2009
Mahmoud Elruweidi
Feb 25, 2014 Mahmoud Elruweidi rated it really liked it
The author style in writing is too boring.
Stan
Stan rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Richard Coxford
Richard Coxford rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2008
G Jones
G Jones rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2010
Bonnie Hancock
Bonnie Hancock rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
William
William rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2011
Dixie Diamond
Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2008
Cole
Cole rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2010
Robert Mitchell
Robert Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2010
Elano
Elano rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Natalie Slusher
Natalie Slusher rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Miriam Graber
Miriam Graber rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Thomas Sterling North was an American author of books for children and adults, including 1963's bestselling Rascal. Surviving a near-paralyzing struggle with polio in his teens, he grew to young adulthood in the quiet southern Wisconsin village of Edgerton, which North transformed into the "Brailsford Junction" setting of several of his books.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.or
More about Sterling North...