Start by marking “Hen's Pens” as Want to Read:
Hen's Pens

Hen's Pens

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
-- For beginner readers - phonics-based text is cleverly blended with a funny story-- Includes phonics guide for parents...and some pages have fold-out flaps!
Published December 1st 2006 by Usborne Books (first published June 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hen's Pens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hen's Pens

Joanna
Dec 11, 2015 Joanna rated it liked it
Pretty silly phrasing comes from stretching as many rhymes as possible. Cameron did not mind, and picked this book four times in a row! (Probably would have been 5+, but I am tired of reading it and suggested a short break.) Adorable illustrations of hen enjoying her ten new pens and her favorite activity, drawing zigzags. Soon all of the eggs are a colorful jumble!
Sarah Jost
Feb 25, 2015 Sarah Jost rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a good book for kids that are learning to read. It is a board book and it has flip up pages on each page. There is a lot of rhyming words which kids will enjoy when they are listening to it being read, and will also help as they are starting to read it themselves.
Sarah Ashburn
Jun 23, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
This is one of the phonics books that I looked at for children. Once again this looks at the sounds of words. I really liked this book and I think it would be a good way of introducing some activities. This would help a new reader tremendously. Good phonics book!
Erin
Dec 31, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I have heard really good things about Usborne books and saw a stack of these at a garage sale and so I bought them for my toddler. They are billed as "easy readers" and contain a phonics guide for parents that I don't even pay attention to, but could be helpful if I was teaching my son about phonetics. The pictures are colorful and the words rhyme. But, I have found that every story is rather dumb and some of the stories don't even make sense. I do plan on keeping these for when he starts readin ...more
Danie Cutter
Jul 24, 2011 Danie Cutter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Great book, easy words for children learning to read. Like the fact that while it uses phonics there are also "patterns" for the words eg Goose and Loose so is suited to pattern recognition methods of learning to read as well.

Have bought the whole series as daughter loves these. While the words are simple there's still enough of a story/action to keep her interested (just) while too many early reading books are three word sentences, one sentence per page and only a few pages per book.

This set o
Vinitha
Nov 08, 2012 Vinitha rated it liked it
My little girl picked it up at the library drawn by the illustrations and foldouts. But she was not teribbly impressed by the book. It was an ok book. I liked how they had an yellow duck in each page and it was great hunting for it
Matthew Ridley
Tam
Jul 21, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-reader
Great book for a new reader.

Excerpt from the book:
"Hen has new pens. She has ten new pens.
'When will you use your new pens, Hen?'
'Now, Brown Cow!'"
krym
Nov 27, 2013 krym rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Moral? Ask permission first if you don't want a snake on your nest! Good for early readers. Kinda fun!
Pepa
Pepa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Isla
Isla added it
Jun 01, 2016
Soyeon Kwon
Soyeon Kwon rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Allyssa
Allyssa rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Michelle Liao
Michelle Liao rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Mae East
Mae East marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Linnet
Linnet rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
F.
F. added it
Feb 28, 2016
Alex &
Alex & added it
Feb 21, 2016
Addy
Addy rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Charlotte Miller
Charlotte Miller rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Kieran Miller
Kieran Miller rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016