Start by marking “Hen's Pens” as Want to Read:
Hen's Pens

Hen's Pens

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
-- For beginner readers - phonics-based text is cleverly blended with a funny story-- Includes phonics guide for parents...and some pages have fold-out flaps!
Published December 1st 2006 by Usborne Books (first published June 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hen's Pens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hen's Pens

Sarah Jost
This is a good book for kids that are learning to read. It is a board book and it has flip up pages on each page. There is a lot of rhyming words which kids will enjoy when they are listening to it being read, and will also help as they are starting to read it themselves.
Sarah Ashburn
This is one of the phonics books that I looked at for children. Once again this looks at the sounds of words. I really liked this book and I think it would be a good way of introducing some activities. This would help a new reader tremendously. Good phonics book!
Erin
I have heard really good things about Usborne books and saw a stack of these at a garage sale and so I bought them for my toddler. They are billed as "easy readers" and contain a phonics guide for parents that I don't even pay attention to, but could be helpful if I was teaching my son about phonetics. The pictures are colorful and the words rhyme. But, I have found that every story is rather dumb and some of the stories don't even make sense. I do plan on keeping these for when he starts readin ...more
Danie Cutter
Great book, easy words for children learning to read. Like the fact that while it uses phonics there are also "patterns" for the words eg Goose and Loose so is suited to pattern recognition methods of learning to read as well.

Have bought the whole series as daughter loves these. While the words are simple there's still enough of a story/action to keep her interested (just) while too many early reading books are three word sentences, one sentence per page and only a few pages per book.

This set o
Vinitha
My little girl picked it up at the library drawn by the illustrations and foldouts. But she was not teribbly impressed by the book. It was an ok book. I liked how they had an yellow duck in each page and it was great hunting for it
Matthew Ridley
Tam
Great book for a new reader.

Excerpt from the book:
"Hen has new pens. She has ten new pens.
'When will you use your new pens, Hen?'
'Now, Brown Cow!'"
krym
Moral? Ask permission first if you don't want a snake on your nest! Good for early readers. Kinda fun!
Cal
Lisa
Lisa added it
Nov 12, 2014
Kids
Kids marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Shark in the Park Frog on a Log Fat Cat on a Mat Sam Sheep Can't Sleep Goose on the Loose (Usborne Easy Words to Read)