Start by marking “Psalms/Now” as Want to Read:
Psalms/Now
Preview

Psalms/Now

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Making the cries and jubilation of the Psalms meaningful for today's world, this book is perfect for Christian reading and gift giving.
Published March 1st 1986 by Concordia Pub House (first published September 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Psalms/Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psalms/Now

Judith
Brandt has a real feel for the shifting emotions that sometimes comfort, sometimes afflict us. His responses to the psalms are honest and reach us where we are. No pretense; no ignoring of our failures - reading these reflections we come face to face with ourselves - and the infinite mercy of our God!
Dina Yaslinskiy
Jan 16, 2015 Dina Yaslinskiy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Paired with my ESV translation I don't think I've ever understood the depth of Psalms. I seriously can't put it down.
Pam Fullem
I loved this book. Psalms is really a book of prayer, for all situations, and the author has wonderfully articulated their meaning in a relevant way. This is the kind of book, like the actual Bible, that you read and reread. I have found Psalms that have really expressed my different spiritual situations, and they are beautifully written. Like the original book of Psalms these really can be prayed. The language is current and wonderfully expressed. I strongly recommend this book.
Stephen Close
While I agree with other reviewers about how this brings the psalms alive to me I have some queries as to how true these rewritten psalms are to the original. The author present what he sees as the message of the psalm to the modern reader and does this in an idiosyncratic way but it would be good to know how strong Mr Brandt's Hebrew is.
So while for some psalms I find it excellent (for example Psalm 90) but for others I have the reservations above (Psalm 38,44)
Bill
It's so amazing to read what might be considered the spirit of each of the Psalms framed in a positive way with a modern feel. Not a translation--not even a paraphrase--but true to each of the 150 Psalms in a refreshing way. Worth reading over and over. A true Christian classic!
Ghjones
Sep 22, 2008 Ghjones rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joy
Recommended to Ghjones by: Frank Schultz
This re-write of Psalms provided new inspiration in a contemporary setting. I have used many of them in worship
services. Some pastors I know have used them as small devotional openers to important meetings in the church.
Joe
This is a book you KEEP reading. I read it so many times now I can't really tell you how many. What I do is read the Psalm for the day of the month, add 30, then 30 more, etc., until eventually in a month's time I've read the entire Book of Psalms which is by far the most poetic and musical book of the Bible. The author has re-written them in modern day language such that they seem to apply to what's going on in your life for each day of the month. I highly recommend this to anyone. The date I s ...more
Jo Ann
Jo Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Howard Sanders
Howard Sanders marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
David Gunning
David Gunning marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
E. Gordy
E. Gordy marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Adeleye Adekusibe
Adeleye Adekusibe marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Geoff Lohmeyer
Geoff Lohmeyer marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Rojita
Rojita marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jesus-Now Epistles Now Meditations/Now Book of Christian Prayer Bible Readings for Troubled Times