Start by marking “Va-t-en-guerre (Les annales du Disque-Monde, tome 21)” as Want to Read:
Va-t-en-guerre (Les annales du Disque-Monde, tome 21)

Va-t-en-guerre (Discworld #21)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  37,600 Ratings  ·  761 Reviews
Une île a surgi entre Ankh-Morpok et le royaume de Klatch.
Mais à qui appartient ce nouveau territoire ? La tension monte entre les deux peuples qui veulent se l'approprier. Les tentatives de négociation échouent, l'ambassadeur du Klatch est assassiné à son arrivée chez ses voisins. La guerre sera-t-elle la seule solution ? Le commissaire Vimaire tremble sous cette menace i
444 pages
Published (first published November 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Va-t-en-guerre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Va-t-en-guerre

Nathan
The Complete Discworld Reread

I am a Granny Weatherwax guy. With no hesitation. You ask me which Pratchett story arc is the best and I will yell to the world how awesome the witches of Lancre are. But I got a dirty secret; it wasn’t always this way to me. Granny is the other woman, the one I left my first love for. Before I fell in love with Granny, I was a city watch man through and through. Reading Jingo again has reminded me exactly why.

It is not the best book of the Discworld series, not by a
David Sarkies
Apr 05, 2016 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Ankh-Morpork Goes to War
5 April 2016

I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that I have now read 21 of the Discworld books. Okay, that actually isn't much of an effort where I'm concerned considering that for some inexplicable reason I ended ploughing through a large majority of the Xanth books, and also pretty much read every Forgotten Realms book (and a few Dragonlance books) as soon as they hit the shelves. Okay, after doing English Literature at university I must admit that my taste in boo
Richard
Jun 17, 2015 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
6/10

This is the weakest Watch novel I’ve read to date, quite simply the bar has been set too high in the previous novels meaning that a small blip is quite a noticeable drop in quality. Whilst entertaining in parts it became a bit of a chore to finish this one with a very convoluted plot which started tangling itself up the further things progressed and I was losing the threads the longer I read.

The first 1/3 of the novel is the usual top notch quality writing with a mystery being looked into b
Kathleen
Aug 13, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this Discworld "City Watch" sub-series. Love the characters: Commander Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Captain Carrot, the troll Detritus, and the whole multi-species gang of street patrollers.

About the title, from lspace Annotated Pratchett: "By jingo!" is an archaic, jocular oath, of obscure origin, used in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries. The word -- with derived forms such as 'jingoism' and 'jingoistic' -- became associated with aggressive, militaristic nationalism as a result of a
Wastrel
Con: largely disposable within the context of Discworld and feels a little like an afterthought. Highly patronising, with vague suggestions of some somewhat iffy political assumptions. Inadequate plot (partly I think on purpose).

Pro: very funny. Surprisingly enjoyable. A chance to see the Watch characters in a slightly more normal situation and at a relaxed pace, at least in the first half of the book.

Summary: I always remembered the downsides and thought this was one of the worst Discworld nove
Carly
Excellent Vimes book, and good one to start with. Pratchett's satire of racism, imperialism, and, as the title might suggest, jingoism.
Also features fun with the split in the Trousers of Time, Vimes' struggles with his wife's well-meant gift of a Dis-Organizer, and an enjoyable submarine ride with only Leonardo de Quirm, crazy genius, Vetinari, tyrant, Sgt Colin, complete moron, and Nobby Nobbs, possibly human, as passengers.
Also features Carrot, the unrecognized king of Ankh Morpork, acting hum
Fiona
I FOUND COMMANDER VIMES IN A CHARITY SHOP *happy dance* - you must know how rare this is. Yoink, HAVING THAT.

------------

From 2012:

It's not very often in the next few months that I'm going to get to read a whole book in a day, so I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound, took a Sunday off and settled down with Commander Vimes and a bar of Dairy Milk.

It was a good choice. Of course it was. I've been recommended 'Jingo' several times, and it's perfectly obvious why: it's exactly my kind of thing.
Melissa McShane
Jan 12, 2016 Melissa McShane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fantasy, humor
When I need something comfortable on a Sunday afternoon, I generally pick up a Terry Pratchett novel. I'm not sure why I opted for this one over all the others, since it's not one of my favorites--or maybe that's why; it came across as fresher than one I might have read more recently. In this novel, Pratchett skewers the idea of the noble war and the instinct of mankind to distrust and hate the Other. The appearance of a mysterious island sets Morporkians against Klatchians, despite the fact tha ...more
Nicole
Melinda Snodgrass
I came to Terry Pratchett late which meant I have this lovely, long line of books to graze through. Pratchett's Discworld is just our world, but amplified by the presence of witches and wizards, and Death is a character, and a lovely old duffer with a charming, if prickly, granddaughter. Rounding out the cast is the enigmatic ruler of THe Discworld's major city, and the various citizens of that city from thieves and beggars, and bankers, and trying to help keep order over this motley crew is the ...more
Chris
Feb 09, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, pratchett
A strange foreign country across the sea, a moneyed aristocracy eager to send young men off to war, political operatives using a flimsy pretext to incite nationalist and racist fervor to encourage said war....

Sounds unpleasantly familiar, which is probably why I was drawn to reading this book.

This is one of the Watch books in the Discworld series, and like so many of those books deals with the intersection between law and politics. In this case, a mysterious island surfaces halfway between the g
Leslie
Dec 10, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5* This satire of jingoism is hilarious but also sadly appropriate these days. I wish that the United States had a Lord Vetinari and/or a Commander Vimes to balance out our Lord Rusts...

I loved seeing Carrot (now a captain) in action once again. And Leonard of Quirms made me chuckle to myself several times...
Ms. Smartarse
Ankh Morpork and Klatch have been at peace for a long time now. Klatchians would even send their sons to the prestigious Assassin's Guild Academy, and Ankh Morporkans (sp??) would happily lend money to neighbours. And yet, when a mysterious island emerges from the sea all bets are off. Both sides are set to claim the island of Leshp as their own.

Ancient ruins on a mysterious island

There is an attempt at a diplomatic solution, when Prince Khufurah visits Ankh Morpork to talk with the Patrician. Nevertheless, things end badly for bo
Andree
May 13, 2014 Andree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Enjoyed it a lot. Didn't love it.

Thing is, I often enjoy Terry Pratchett. Particularly the books featuring either the Watch, or the witches. I like the books better when they're set in a familiar location.

I really enjoyed the first half of this, with the watch sort of blundering around Ankh Morpok, with hilarious results. The Watch doing any kind of detective work is always fun!times. And I really enjoy Vimes and Sybil together.

I also really enjoyed the last sixty pages or so. Vimes' butler is p
Sadie Slater
May 08, 2016 Sadie Slater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read Jingo, in 1998, I was bitterly disappointed by it. I - and quite a few other Pratchett fans I knew - thought it was probably the worst thing Pterry had ever written. I think this may have been a little while before the phrase "jumping the shark" became common parlance, at least in Coventry, but that was exactly what we thought had happened. I simply couldn't understand why people like A.S. Byatt praised it so highly, when it was clearly the Worst. Discworld. Book. Ever.

Re-read
Mel
Feb 24, 2016 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ankh-Morpork gets involved in a war with Klatch and the Discworld equivalent of Atlantis, Leshp, is about to rise. It is up to the Watch, Vimes, Colon, Carrot and all the rest to find a way to prevent it. In Jingo the Discworld looks into the dark heart of war, land disputes, assassination, science and weapons development, and prejudice. Of course, Terry Pratchett does it in his special way, sneaking it in here and there and occasionally hitting you head on with it. Of course, there is a lot mor ...more
Emily
Jun 07, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Discworld fans, Night Watch fans
I've read this a few times, actually. Some of the fine details of the plot I still didn't remember until I read it just now. Part of this might just be poor memory (it's sort of nice to have that for books, actually, as some of the contents still come as a surprise upon rereading. I may remember the gist, but how exactly it comes about is still "novel"), and part of it might be that some of the major plot points are actually a bit unclear, even after they are revealed, in a single conversation.

I
Chris Boulton
Oct 28, 2015 Chris Boulton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Murphy
I'm with a number of other reviewers when it comes to Jingo. It isn't a bad book and it has its fair share of amusing and even laugh out loud bits. The problem with Pratchett, I think, is that he doesn't do "big themes" well.

What I mean by this is that he has a good understanding of the way the world works but he cannot translate that into excellent fiction. He is always much better when he is writing about humanity at the micro rather than the macro level.

The discipline of writing reviews reall
Will Ransohoff
Dec 08, 2015 Will Ransohoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What surprised me about this book was that apparently the story's inspiration was an actual historical event, the rising of Graham Island, which just goes to show that truth can be every bit as strange as fiction.

Anyways, I've been thinking lately about how crazy dangerous runaway nationalism is, so this book definitely hit home. It's a cautionary tale about how easily people will get worked up against 'those ____ people', wrapped in Terry Pratchett's usual hilarious satire.
Zorena
Sep 21, 2012 Zorena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
War! What is it good for! A good laugh if Pratchett is writing about it and an even better laugh if the Watch is involved. In this case winning a war just means being at the right place and at he right time. Which is unfortunate for Vimes' pocket disorganizer.

Terry manages to show just how ludicrous most of the reasons for going to war are. Drawing from current events also manages to drive his point home. I also loved the addition of women's rights and Corporal Nobbs statement I've only been a w
Rebecca Huston
This time, Terry Pratchett takes on the tricky aspect of war. But there's a heavy dash of humour, and cynicism and a harsh look at our own world. Leonard of Quirm plays a vital role, Sam Vines is up to his neck in all sorts of trouble, and we get to see a very rare side of the Patrician. Not to mention 71-Hour Ahmed. Some serious moments, and it's a very amusing, if dark, read. Five stars, and recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Shan
Well, it's Terry Pratchett, it's about the Watch, and it's got some really great pearls of wisdom (like the one about a crowd's intelligence being the square root of the number of people in it; and the one about Sgt Colon who'd had a broad education at the School of My Dad Always Said and the College of It Stands to Reason and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke in the Pub Told Me). I really, really like Terry Pratchett, especially when I read him after reading a ...more
Scott Firestone
I first read Jingo when it came out 19 years ago, and I liked it more then than I do now. Even though it centers on my beloved City Watch, this isn't one of the stronger entries. It starts out strong, with an island named Leshp rises from the ocean, and both Ankh-Morpork and Klatch claim this new island for their respective countries.

So what starts out as an interesting meditation on war, racism, and immigration turns into something less when members of the Watch (and others) go to Klatch. It's
Frank
May 23, 2008 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm addicted to Discworld novels about the Watch. Help me . . . oh wait, don't help me. They're fun and I really like reading them. This one was really good, and had some really great moments. Especially the organizer on an alternate timeline . . .
Unai
Oct 21, 2015 Unai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Despojos de la calle, había dicho una vez Colon.
Despojos de la puta calle, porque la gente normal no se metía a madero”

Una isla emerge en medio del mar, a medio camino de Ankh-Morpork y Klatch e inmediatamente surgen las primeras disputas sobre su soberanía y derechos, lo cual reabre las rencillas entre estos dos países, que hace demasiado que no van a la guerra el uno contra el otro. Otra puta maravilla de libro lleno de leña para repartir a la guerra, a la política, a los militares, a la est
Ali
Apr 02, 2015 Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Disappointing.

As in Men at Arms, Pratchett takes on racism and xenophobia - and doesn't do a good job. It's heavy on "isn't it funny how different cultures all think foreigners are weird", without any real attempt to deal with power (ie even acknowledging that white colonial racism is not equivalent to other peoples' prejudices). The use of actual real-world racial slurs was also deeply unpleasant, and not used to good effect. The book also still relied on a lot of stereotypes of Muslims and/or
Óli Sóleyjarson
Ég var búinn að gleyma hve góð Jingo væri. Meginþema hennar er stríð og gagnleysi þjóðernishyggju. Þá er hún auðvitað fjölmenningarbók að hætti vaktarseríunnar.
Enas
Feb 03, 2014 Enas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
αυτό είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του terry pratchett και της σειράς discworld που κατάφερα να τελειώσω, αφού για διάφορους λόγους δεν κατάφερα να ολοκληρώσω τα προηγούμενα που έπεσαν στα χέρια μου.

στο φανταστικό κόσμο του terry pratchett συναντάς όλα τα πλάσματα που ανήκουν στο χώρο του φανταστικού: μάγους, ξωτικά, τρολλ, νάνους, λυκάνθρωπους κλπ. όμως οι αναφορές στον πραγματικό κόσμο καταλαμβάνουν εξίσου μέρος στις ιστορίες του και έτσι προκύπτει ένα αρκετά απολαυστικό αποτέλεσμα.

στο συγκεκριμένο βι
Kenny
Apr 08, 2016 Kenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
Oh dear, a disappointing Watch novel?

Jingo was actually a serious letdown. Ankh-Morpork gets in an argument with Klatch over an island that happens to spring up between them... and its a story of racism, nationalism, and politics...

There is a visiting official who is the target of an attempted assassination, which leads to Sam Vimes and the Watch getting involved in some strange plotting and international diplomacy. It all sounded vaguely interesting, but so much of this is written in a very "o
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Jingo" by Terry Pratchett 3 5 Jun 03, 2012 07:04PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • Flying Dutch
  • Legends
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Mammoth Book of New Comic Fantasy

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” 10682 likes
“Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.” 662 likes