Start by marking “The Prince Won't Go to Bed!” as Want to Read:
The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

"WAA! WAA! WAA! I will not go to bed!"
the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, little Prince said.

Nanny is at her wits' end. Why won't the Prince go to bed? Squire Frat, Lord Gerty, and others in the royal household try to help. Could he want a fluffy pillow? A softer mattress? A gentle lullaby? As the Prince's cries get louder and louder, the castle turns topsy-turvy--until Princess
Published October 16th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Prince Won't Go to Bed!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

Manybooks
Apr 04, 2011 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for fun bedtime stories
Perfect for a read-aloud bedtime story, Dayle Ann Dodds' The Prince Won't go to Bed is both fun and sweet (and I especially appreciate that what the prince ultimately requires to be able to go to sleep and stay asleep is something as simple and as natural as a goodnight kiss). Kyrsten Brooker's accompanying illustrations are not necessarily all that much to my liking, but they do work very well in and for this story, and most children would likely be both captivated and enchanted by their bold e ...more
Dolly
Apr 05, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With its fun rhymes and sing-song rhythm, this book reminds me of Bear Snores On and other books in the Bear series by Karma Wilson. Of course the story itself and the illustrations are very different, but they have the same whimsical feel. The story of soothing a fussy child to sleep is one that parents can relate to and for older children, the opportunity to chime in on the refrain is all but irresistible. And many older siblings will like the fact that the sister is the one to come to the res ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 15, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: as a read aloud bedtime story
This is a really, really fun read aloud book, and because of the repetitive chorus, most likely, especially if reread, it will become a say along/read along too.

I doubt I’d have ever read this, but it’s one of six books for April’s “Royalty” theme for the Picture Books Club, a club that’s part of the Children's Books group.

At first I thought this was a book I’d have appreciated only as a young kid, but it grew on me. The rhyme is catchy, and even the repetition works here.

I wasn’t a huge fan of
Ann
A fun rhyme and a sweet ending!

This is a delightfully funny book about the Prince - who won't go to bed! - and his Nanny who tries - and fails - to get him to go to sleep. But it's not just the nanny who tries to come up with ideas on how to get the prince to sleep...

By the end of the book all manner of persons in the castle have offered helpful (but failing) advice on how to get the prince to sleep.

Who will come up with the final idea? And will it work?

I loved the illustrations and this whimsic
Crystal Marcos
Apr 04, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bedtime story fans
I read the The Prince Won't Go to Bed! today to my toddler. It was very enjoyable for the both of us. It flowed well and we both liked the storyline. I was a tiny bit nervous reading to her that he cried because he did not want to go to bed. However, she went to bed with ease. We always do what the little prince needed before he could go to bed. So that was great that the story ended that way. The illustrations were colorful and different. All in all a sweet bedtime story.

This was a monthly rea
Ronyell
Apr 28, 2011 Ronyell rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
I was reading this book for the Goodreads Children's Book Picture Book Club for the theme of royalty and I thought that it was pretty cute. “The Prince Won't Go to Bed!” is a children's book by Dayle Ann Dodds along with illustrations by Kyrsten Brooker and it is about a young prince who refuses to go to sleep when the king and queen went to the ball and left him at the castle. “The Prince Won't Go to Bed!” might have a simplistic plot but it is extremely cute for smaller children to enjoy!

When
Laurean
Mar 23, 2010 Laurean rated it really liked it
Nice easy read book for mums with only so much time or great for first readers. The rhyme schemes of the book is well done and the each illustrated page is full of wonder.

The prince simply won't go to sleep while the king and queen are away. Chaos ensues as everyone in the castle (with names that rhyme with their occupations) offer up various remedies. As expected, sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
Anna
Dec 01, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Any story that gets kids shouting is a good one for me. I thought they'd get more into it, actually, but it wasn't bad. The parents really enjoyed it, too.
Mollie B
Feb 13, 2017 Mollie B rated it it was amazing
Hilarious tale! Perfect for storytime. Big words and little words to indicate emotions/sounds. I look forward to reading it aloud.
Ina
Jul 13, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This was a great hit at storytime today! Who couldn't love a book with the refrain, "WAA! WAA! WAA! I will not go to bed!" the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, little Prince said happening every couple of pages? This book was very engaging for many reasons - rich illustrations and subtle humor - as the entire staff of the castle tries to put the Prince to bed. After each attempt, more and more people tip toe down the hall and the Prince's wail just gets louder and louder. There are many opportunities to ...more
Veronica
george
May 22, 2008 george rated it really liked it
Very cute children's book about a little prince who just won't go to sleep. His parents are away and the castle staff does everything they can think of to get the little guy off to dreamland, but he just won't go. I agree with the reviewer who found the rhymes a bit uneven. The illustrations, however, were great and I really loved them. Good bedtime book.
The Library Lady
Feb 08, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The rhymes are better here than in her "Full House" book about fractions, but the verse still is a bit uneven. But there's lots of fun in this story, which is sort of a "King Bidgood" Jr, replacing the tub with a bed. And I DO love how it's big sister Princess Kate who figures out what her brother wants in the end!
Shelli
Jan 02, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The repetitive silly story makes for a super fun read aloud and/or bedtime story to share with your little ones. The Prince's parents are away at some soirée and the castle servants are unable to put the little tyke down for the night. Attempt after attempt is made (most at very ridiculous lengths) and yet the young Prince refuses to succumb to slumbering bliss.
Megan MacDonald
Mar 04, 2011 Megan MacDonald rated it liked it
Shelves: family-books
A midevil times story about a Prince at bed time. This book shows the many ways that the people in teh castle try to encourage the Prince to go to sleep, and in the end the answer is so simple! This story has some rhyming words as well in the story and the pictures are fun with a different, imaginative setting.
Dec 17, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I got this book as a baby gift for my son and it is my favorite book for him by far. It's a wonderful book for any baby boy, it's catchy and I can't wait until he's old enough to say "Waa waa waa, I will not go to bed!" when the little prince says the repetitive phrase from the book! It rhymes and it's a wonderful bedtime story.
June
Aug 15, 2012 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Royalty and bedtime requests
I got a little tired of the repeated ""Waa! Waa! Waa!" However, the children seemed to enjoy the "teeny-tiny, itty-bitty" repeats. There was also a heated discussion about what everyone forgot, so maybe 3.5.
Molly
Feb 13, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute story about a young prince who refuses to sleep. All the castle aides try their best, but it is sister who discovers the problem. My little prince loved this book, and would much rather have read it over and over than gone to sleep!
Danielle Boccio
The Prince Won't Go To Bed is such a cute bedtime story. I do confess that I'm a sucker for books that rhyme, but not all rhyming books are created equal. The story is entertaining, sweet, and fun to read out loud.
Jackie
Nov 09, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it
Waa! Waa! Waa! The prince will not go to bed until....what? The people of the castle offer him a fluffy pillow, a nice warm bath, some pudding, a soft mattress, and some soothing music, but they forgot the most important thing. What could it be?

Used for "Family Jammie Storytime"-November, 2009.
Jamie
Nov 15, 2010 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read because of the wording and the rhyming. It would be great for an interactive read aloud because it's repetitive, so students can say the repeating lines aloud. They could also sequence this book or act it out very well.
Emma
Sep 08, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT for read alouds.
Destinee Sutton
May 13, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it
Recommended to Destinee by: Pamela
Shelves: picture-books
Rhyming, repetitive nighttime book. Very cool mixed media illustrations.
Alissa
Dec 12, 2012 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A funny story of all the silly things to help try to get the Prince to go to bed. An all too familiar tale for us some nights...
Jan 30, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
The pictures are cute and the story makes you laugh. Plus it might just help those small ones to go to sleep.
Kim
Jul 20, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: jt-s-books
Somehow I found the rhyming scheme and use of words to be a bit of a tongue twister. JT enjoyed this book more than I did.
Rebecca Ann
The prince was kind of a brat, lol. I loved the multimedia paper-like pictures, however. This book has rhyme/repetition and would be good for storytime for younger ages toddles/K.
Gretchen
Nov 25, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it
PB 37: Great book with great illustrations. Funny story line!
Amy Brown
Funny rhyming story about a prince who won't go to bed no matter what the people in the castle do for the crying prince.
Mrs. Carey
Apr 18, 2016 Mrs. Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
This book is very similar to The Prince's Bedtime, except reading is not the answer to the problem of a prince not being able to go to sleep.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...