The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

The Prince Won't Go to Bed!

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  31 reviews
"WAA! WAA! WAA! I will not go to bed!"
the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, little Prince said.

Nanny is at her wits' end. Why won't the Prince go to bed? Squire Frat, Lord Gerty, and others in the royal household try to help. Could he want a fluffy pillow? A softer mattress? A gentle lullaby? As the Prince's cries get louder and louder, the castle turns topsy-turvy--until Princess K...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

Gundula
Apr 04, 2011 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone looking for fun bedtime stories
Perfect for a read-aloud bedtime story, The Prince Won't Go to Bed! is both fun and sweet (I especially love the fact that what the prince ultimately requires to be able to go to sleep and stay asleep is something as simple and as natural as a goodnight kiss). The illustrations are not necessarily all that much to my liking, but they do work very well in and for this story, and most children would likely be both captivated and enchanted by their bold expressiveness. I do not know wether many chi...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 25, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: as a read aloud bedtime story
This is a really, really fun read aloud book, and because of the repetitive chorus, most likely, especially if reread, it will become a say along/read along too.

I doubt I’d have ever read this, but it’s one of six books for April’s “Royalty” theme for the Picture Books Club, a club that’s part of the Children's Books group.

At first I thought this was a book I’d have appreciated only as a young kid, but it grew on me. The rhyme is catchy, and even the repetition works here.

I wasn’t a huge fan of...more
Dolly
Apr 05, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With its fun rhymes and sing-song rhythm, this book reminds me of Bear Snores On and other books in the Bear series by Karma Wilson. Of course the story itself and the illustrations are very different, but they have the same whimsical feel. The story of soothing a fussy child to sleep is one that parents can relate to and for older children, the opportunity to chime in on the refrain is all but irresistible. And many older siblings will like the fact that the sister is the one to come to the res...more
Ann
A fun rhyme and a sweet ending!

This is a delightfully funny book about the Prince - who won't go to bed! - and his Nanny who tries - and fails - to get him to go to sleep. But it's not just the nanny who tries to come up with ideas on how to get the prince to sleep...

By the end of the book all manner of persons in the castle have offered helpful (but failing) advice on how to get the prince to sleep.

Who will come up with the final idea? And will it work?

I loved the illustrations and this whimsic...more
Crystal Marcos
Apr 04, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: bedtime story fans
I read the The Prince Won't Go to Bed! today to my toddler. It was very enjoyable for the both of us. It flowed well and we both liked the storyline. I was a tiny bit nervous reading to her that he cried because he did not want to go to bed. However, she went to bed with ease. We always do what the little prince needed before he could go to bed. So that was great that the story ended that way. The illustrations were colorful and different. All in all a sweet bedtime story.

This was a monthly rea...more
Ronyell
Apr 28, 2011 Ronyell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ronyell by: The Picture-Book Club
I was reading this book for the Goodreads Children's Book Picture Book Club for the theme of royalty and I thought that it was pretty cute. “The Prince Won't Go to Bed!” is a children's book by Dayle Ann Dodds along with illustrations by Kyrsten Brooker and it is about a young prince who refuses to go to sleep when the king and queen went to the ball and left him at the castle. “The Prince Won't Go to Bed!” might have a simplistic plot but it is extremely cute for smaller children to enjoy!

When...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Rhymes, repitition, and funny & expressive illlustrations. I thought the missing part of the bedtime ritual was going to be a story book, but I was wrong. You read it and find out what the prince finally told his sister he needed.
Laurean
Nice easy read book for mums with only so much time or great for first readers. The rhyme schemes of the book is well done and the each illustrated page is full of wonder.

The prince simply won't go to sleep while the king and queen are away. Chaos ensues as everyone in the castle (with names that rhyme with their occupations) offer up various remedies. As expected, sometimes the simplest answer is the best one.
Ina
This was a great hit at storytime today! Who couldn't love a book with the refrain, "WAA! WAA! WAA! I will not go to bed!" the teeny-tiny, itty-bitty, little Prince said happening every couple of pages? This book was very engaging for many reasons - rich illustrations and subtle humor - as the entire staff of the castle tries to put the Prince to bed. After each attempt, more and more people tip toe down the hall and the Prince's wail just gets louder and louder. There are many opportunities to...more
Shelli
The repetitive silly story makes for a super fun read aloud and/or bedtime story to share with your little ones. The Prince's parents are away at some soirée and the castle servants are unable to put the little tyke down for the night. Attempt after attempt is made (most at very ridiculous lengths) and yet the young Prince refuses to succumb to slumbering bliss.
george
Very cute children's book about a little prince who just won't go to sleep. His parents are away and the castle staff does everything they can think of to get the little guy off to dreamland, but he just won't go. I agree with the reviewer who found the rhymes a bit uneven. The illustrations, however, were great and I really loved them. Good bedtime book.
I got this book as a baby gift for my son and it is my favorite book for him by far. It's a wonderful book for any baby boy, it's catchy and I can't wait until he's old enough to say "Waa waa waa, I will not go to bed!" when the little prince says the repetitive phrase from the book! It rhymes and it's a wonderful bedtime story.
Megan MacDonald
A midevil times story about a Prince at bed time. This book shows the many ways that the people in teh castle try to encourage the Prince to go to sleep, and in the end the answer is so simple! This story has some rhyming words as well in the story and the pictures are fun with a different, imaginative setting.
The Library Lady
The rhymes are better here than in her "Full House" book about fractions, but the verse still is a bit uneven. But there's lots of fun in this story, which is sort of a "King Bidgood" Jr, replacing the tub with a bed. And I DO love how it's big sister Princess Kate who figures out what her brother wants in the end!
Jackie
Waa! Waa! Waa! The prince will not go to bed until....what? The people of the castle offer him a fluffy pillow, a nice warm bath, some pudding, a soft mattress, and some soothing music, but they forgot the most important thing. What could it be?

Used for "Family Jammie Storytime"-November, 2009.
Molly
Very cute story about a young prince who refuses to sleep. All the castle aides try their best, but it is sister who discovers the problem. My little prince loved this book, and would much rather have read it over and over than gone to sleep!
Jamie
This was a fun read because of the wording and the rhyming. It would be great for an interactive read aloud because it's repetitive, so students can say the repeating lines aloud. They could also sequence this book or act it out very well.
June
Aug 15, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Royalty and bedtime requests
I got a little tired of the repeated ""Waa! Waa! Waa!" However, the children seemed to enjoy the "teeny-tiny, itty-bitty" repeats. There was also a heated discussion about what everyone forgot, so maybe 3.5.
Rebecca Ann
The prince was kind of a brat, lol. I loved the multimedia paper-like pictures, however. This book has rhyme/repetition and would be good for storytime for younger ages toddles/K.
Lauren
Great refrain that kids can join in on; might work for a preschool storytime that skews older, but probably better for a read aloud with 5, 6, 7 year olds
Mary
I enjoyed the rhythm, the kids enjoyed helping me out on the "wah wah wah, I will not go to bed! The teeny tiny, itty bitty, little prince said."
Jill
We love this book. The rhythm of it is delightful and the ending is so fun. We have checked this one out many times and it never gets old.
Kim
Somehow I found the rhyming scheme and use of words to be a bit of a tongue twister. JT enjoyed this book more than I did.
Alissa
A funny story of all the silly things to help try to get the Prince to go to bed. An all too familiar tale for us some nights...
Amy Brown
Funny rhyming story about a prince who won't go to bed no matter what the people in the castle do for the crying prince.
Aspasia
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose prince won't go to bed. Of course, the solution in the book is simple yet obvious.
The pictures are cute and the story makes you laugh. Plus it might just help those small ones to go to sleep.
Kim
Nice repetition. A really great bedtime book, but maybe even a good read aloud.
Destinee Sutton
May 13, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Destinee by: Pamela
Shelves: picture-books
Rhyming, repetitive nighttime book. Very cool mixed media illustrations.
Gretchen
PB 37: Great book with great illustrations. Funny story line!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...
Full House: An Invitation to Fractions Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu Hello, Sun! Teacher's Pets Sing, Sophie!