Start by marking “The Studs Terkel Reader: My American Century” as Want to Read:
The Studs Terkel Reader: My American Century

The Studs Terkel Reader: My American Century

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A personal selection of the best interviews from eight classic books by America's much-loved pre-eminent oral historian, Studs Terkel.
Published May 1st 2007 by New Press, The (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Studs Terkel Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Studs Terkel Reader

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutCosmos by Carl SaganContact by Carl SaganPortnoy's Complaint by Philip RothThe Studs Terkel Reader by Studs Terkel
Books by University of Chicago Alumni
5th out of 138 books — 10 voters
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayTime To Let Go by Christoph FischerA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Tempest by William ShakespeareThe Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Books About Old People
267th out of 286 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

Riley
Dec 20, 2015 Riley rated it really liked it
I love Studs Terkel, who represents an era of American that is, unfortunately, long lost. I wish there were a hundred of him today.
Chris Cook
Oct 08, 2014 Chris Cook rated it liked it
It was an interesting, but fragmented read.
Jolin
Aug 04, 2012 Jolin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a "best of" Studs Terkel's most influential works. Terkel's writing showcases ordinary people and reveals what life is like for them through taped interviews he transcribes and seamlessly knits together. Mostly his chapters feel like monologues--almost as if people living at key points in history suddenly reflected on their times and what has seemed most important. For purists, this collection may be leaving out some great moments from the other books. This collection is a great place to ...more
Tyler
Jun 24, 2015 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, texas, chicago
Overwhelming, but enriching. Studs is all about labor unions, and racial injustices, and the hand-holding-helping days of the early 20th century, and progessive ideas, and hope. This book goes well with a side dish of Pete Seeger, because their concerns are awfully alike. More importantly, both use(d) their own voice to lift up the common, collective voice, Pete in his concert sing-alongs and Studs in the oral histories collected here.
Renata
Jan 08, 2015 Renata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, grownup
Good stuff. The only other book of his I'd read was Working, plus listening to some of his interviews here and there. This one is his "best of," with interviews from all his books plus the introductions to each book. The net result is a higher percentage of direct Terkel writing than usual, which is okay by me. It really is a decent social-historical glance at the century, and he's so good at getting good details out of people.
Michelle
Apr 29, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book, because I love people telling their own stories. The intros written by Studs himself were too long and unfocused in my opinion. Also, the vast majority of entries focused on class. Class is an important issue in America and everywhere else, but come on, it isn't the only issue. I got really bored of reading whether somebody was rich or poor and skipped a lot of stories for this reason.
May 17, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Though this reader is good for my students, the excerpts are frequently too short and don't include some important interviews. The excerpt from Race doesn't include the prologue by Mamie Moblie, Emmit Till's mother. It's probably good for Terkel newcomers, but if you're interested in one of the eras or events or topics he covers, I'd recommend reading the full book.
Monique
Jan 19, 2014 Monique rated it it was amazing
A wonderful compilation of some of the great interviews by Studs Terkel. At times moving and at others infuriating, a priceless look into the lives of ordinary Americans throughout the century. I recommend skipping the introductions to each section, because they "spoil" some of the great quotables and personalities from some of the interviews.
Sara
May 25, 2008 Sara rated it liked it
Author Terkel's historical documentary composed of personal stories and memoirs from people all over the country. Most stories tell of major historical events, such as wars or the Depression. Interesting to read everyday people's accounts of major life events. Nice to pick up and read a story or two every now and then.
Connie
Aug 17, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
Studs Terkel, writer, philosopher, interviewer and lecturer has served up a great feast that makes me feel overstuffed. Sometimes I wanted to swallow it up so the words would become part of me and help me grow. Sometimes I wanted to pass, "No thank you, I'm allergic."
Tim Thrailkill
Jul 26, 2012 Tim Thrailkill rated it it was amazing
Studs' chronicles of America have preserved tales of everyday America , the toils, aspirations, dreams and voices. Clearly an influence on Ken Burns, Terkel's missives paint modern America for the reader in a kaleidoscope of the lives of yesteryear.'
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Studs Terkel is simplly amazing. I need to read more of his books (if anyone has any they'd like to donate). Not to sound trite, but he truly is an American treasure. I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Cheryl
I dig Studs Terkel and the discussion at book club was great, but, yeah, did not read this at all. studs rode in the car with me for a month, tho. He was a good passenger.
Victor
Oct 29, 2015 Victor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: people-place
This has been my bedside reading for the past six months, just a few pages at a time. I love Studs... May his tribe increase. (Oh wait, it is! Podcast journalism!)
Tony
I found the translation (for lack of a better term) from oral story telling to the written word distracting. No stars to give.
Mary Kathryn
Jan 26, 2009 Mary Kathryn rated it it was ok
The stories and oral histories were really interesting, but too much Studs - he sounded like a cranky old man.
Leonard Pierce
May 22, 2008 Leonard Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Studs Terkel is a national treasure, and this is as good a place as any to start with his trademark oral histories.
anne
Nov 17, 2009 anne rated it it was amazing
An incredible overview of key pieces of 20th century American history. I can't wait to read more.
Scott Pakudaitis
Feb 11, 2013 Scott Pakudaitis rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with wisdom and insight into American culture and experiences.
Beth Shields-Szostak
signed & inscribed by author; pages are bound in correct order but inserted upside down
Cody
Oct 06, 2010 Cody rated it it was amazing
lol i havent read this but it has a real funny name
Noreen
Fantastic book told in Studs down to earth style.
Steven
Dec 30, 2009 Steven added it
Did not finish, not due to quality, due to life.
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
DENNIS
DENNIS marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Laurie Oliver
Laurie Oliver marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Things I Like About America: Personal Narratives
  • Becoming Mexican American: Ethnicity, Culture, and Identity in Chicano Los Angeles, 1900-1945
  • Ghost Dances: Proving Up on the Great Plains
  • Levittown: Two Extraordinary Families, One Ruthless Tycoon, and the Fight for the American Dream
  • Women Artists
  • Comic-Con Strikes Again!
  • An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Boots and Saddles: Or, Life in Dakota with General Custer
  • Dance for Two: Essays
  • Coal River
  • North American Indians
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
  • The World Viewed: Reflections on the Ontology of Film
  • Gender and Jim Crow: Women and the Politics of White Supremacy in North Carolina, 1896-1920
  • A Jury of Her Peers: American Women Writers from Anne Bradstreet to Annie Proulx
  • A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony
Louis "Studs" Terkel was an American author, historian, actor, and broadcaster. He received the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1985 for "The Good War", and is best remembered for his oral histories of common Americans, and for hosting a long-running radio show in Chicago.

Terkel was acclaimed for his efforts to preserve American oral history. His 1985 book "The Good War: An Oral History
More about Studs Terkel...