Start by marking “Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy, #1)

Gene Of Isis (Mystique Trilogy #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  752 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Mia Montrose is a 21st-century Australian woman with a Doctorate in Ancient Languages who has just scored the most promising job of her career.

When Mia experiences mysterious happenings and forces beyond her control, she begins to understand that history does not always stay in the past.

Ashlee Granville is a 19th-century clairvoyant, forced to suppress her talents as she e
Published February 22nd 2006 by Voyager - AU (first published February 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Gene Of Isis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gene Of Isis

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierObernewtyn by Isobelle CarmodyLirael by Garth NixAkarnae by Lynette Noni
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
78th out of 245 books — 183 voters
The Dark Age by Traci HardingGene Of Isis by Traci HardingAn Echo in Time by Traci HardingChronicle of Ages by Traci Harding
Best Traci Harding Books
2nd out of 4 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Annie
Mar 27, 2009 Annie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Have you ever read a book where you've loved one half of it and then felt completely lost for the second half? Unfortunately that was me with Gene of Isis. And I'm not completely sure it's Traci Harding's fault either.

This book is divided into three sections set in three separate times: 13th Century France, 19th Century England and modern day Australia. An interesting combination but it works for variety! The novel begins with the story of Lady Ashlee (19th Century England) and follows her troub
Jessica Smith
Quite frankly, I struggled past the first few chapters. Don't get me started on the whole Dr. Rosen thing, or the fact that the characters felt like cardboard cutouts. Particularly for the main heroines, the dialouge was indistinguishable, the characterisation/character development nonexistent. They were hard to relate to, let alone believable. While I understand how difficult it is to create sympathetic characters with a premise like the one in this book, it came off as though Harding wasn't tr ...more
Anne Holcomb
This is the first book I've read by Traci Harding, and I definitely see more in my future. Gene of Isis is like a crazy combination of Indiana Jones, the Da Vinci Code, Regency romance, and science lesson all blended up and packaged into an intergenerational, feminist adventure story. Mia is an archaeologist studying ancient languages who's invited to a dig sponsored by a mysterious billionaire. The stories of her ancestors, Ashlee - a young wife in Regency England - and Lillet - a priestess of ...more
Cam
Jan 21, 2009 Cam rated it liked it
Mikaela
Have to say that this is one of my favourite books of all time. The plot is amazing, and the stories seem to flow perfectly into one another. I loved this book from the first page to the last!

Not to mention that Albray is the perfect guy *sighs*. If only he were real.
Danielle
May 29, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
Nice to read a book on the Grail with an all female cast, where the men play second.
Good book to read and get a little lost in. Light and a easy read.
Nikki
Dec 09, 2015 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a superb audio reading. I loved the strong female protagonists and an interesting plot blended with Arthurian legends, vampire, supernatural, gypsies and religion.
Heather S
Nov 02, 2014 Heather S rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. the way the different times were covered was comfortable to read, I like that it started with the older journals, instead of beginning with someone sitting down to read.

I really enjoy the strong female characters. They happily act within the societal norms for the time, which is becoming unusual in books with more feminist characters. IT seems like in order to be a strong woman they have to totally eschew their norms.
The women in this book, however, are happy to be f
Kayla
Feb 23, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I loved Traci Harding's original series The Ancient Future and the first book in the Mystique trilogy has not disappointed. What an exciting new world to explore.

The story follows the perspectives of three women, Ashlee Devere, Mia Montrose and Lillet du Lac. All three are members of an ancient blood line of significant women through history, and carry DNA which sets them apart from regular 'Joe's' like you and me. They are granted special psychic abilities because of the Gene of Isis, and this
TheCosyDragon
Feb 01, 2015 TheCosyDragon rated it it was amazing

Mia is specialised in what she does - but sadly, not many people want her for the job she's good at. That is to say, there isn't much call for PhD graduates in ancient languages and mythology. This is a theme that runs through Harding's books to great advantage, and really fits in with my own viewpoint on life and religion.

The beginning was super
Becci
Dec 10, 2010 Becci rated it it was amazing
mystery, history and archeology meet - two generations must work to save their future

wow, that sounds dramatic - seriously though, it's a great read. adventure, romance, comedy and history.
Tenielle
Aug 25, 2015 Tenielle rated it liked it
I am very conflicted.

I LOVED the first part of the book. It was perfect - intriguing, enthralling and consuming. Ashlee's personality was so well characterised, and the era she lived in very vividly described. I felt like I was there with her. the first part was so good that I jumped onto BookDepo and bought the second book!

But after that... it went downhill. I didn't like Mia. More than that, the book started reading like a history textbook - going through the history in paragraphs rather than
Kris
May 22, 2011 Kris rated it it was ok
I just got bored halfway though and I'm not interested enough in the story and/or the characters to continue reading so.... dropped.
Adi
May 21, 2009 Adi rated it it was ok
Appalling historical mistakes and stupid dialogue didn't stop me from lapping this yarn up. Guess I'll be reading part 2 shortly.
Simona
Mar 23, 2016 Simona rated it liked it
I came across this book whilst looking for something to read in Historical Fiction, though initially it took me a little while to get started however once I had worked out the characters and where they stood I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps not a book that I would have originally picked up, nonetheless I did enjoy the strong Heroine character.

The ending for me was a little let down although I did notice that its title does include the word Trilogy #1 so I will look forward to were the next p
Joy
Feb 11, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok
Interesting if you enjoy alternative spiritual/occult themes plus a light romance.
 Alli
May 03, 2015 Alli rated it really liked it
Again the start of an exciting trilogy by Traci Harding.

With the book starting off as the journal of one of the main characters, Ashlee, as a young girl with 'abilities' that her father considers to be a disability due to his position in society and the events that unfold when he tries to suppress them by sending her to an asylum gives us an understanding of how powerful Ashlee will be.
The tale then jumps to the current time as a distant relative, Mia, reading the journal of Ashlee.
As we discove
νєяαℓι∂αιиє
Oct 22, 2012 νєяαℓι∂αιиє rated it really liked it
Another great series from a great author! The characters are well developed, it starts at a good pace that continues pretty much all the way through.

Imagine the amount of research and time that went into creating this wonderful novel. It must have taken forever! It goes into both folklore and the Bible and the real world, it creates links between these three perfectly.

It is divided into three parts (although it crosses between these every so often). It starts off with the child journal of Ashl
Allison
Jul 14, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
Must admit some of the background historical detailing was pretty annoying and for me didn't add anything to the story. But probably helps others. It all felt a bit like a lecture and not a natural part of the story, didn't flow very naturally.

I like reading Traci's stuff...mostly...but kick arse, super perfect heroines are getting a bit old for me. They are so perfect it's obnoxious and doesn't give me any reason to want to get to know them. The story is what draws me in , the female character
Deborah Gutteridge
Aug 25, 2015 Deborah Gutteridge rated it it was amazing
This book is another example of the great work of Traci Harding. Do you believe there is more going on in the world of humans? Do you believe in the power of intention? Does raising your own frequency interest you?

If the answers are yes, then read this series.
Sharkcrow
Sep 16, 2009 Sharkcrow rated it it was amazing
This was another one I didn't realise was written by an Aussie until I got into it and wondered why they'd made the protagonist Australian (it doesn't happen very often!) A bit DaVinci Code with a dash of Indiana Jones, I stayed up until some ungodly hour reading this, I just couldn't put it down. This one also jumps between a couple of different points of view, that of Mia, a current day Ancient Languages expert; Ashlee, a clairvoyant from the 19th century; and Lillet, a 13th century priestess. ...more
Sasha
Jan 27, 2016 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book, was totally enthralled by the setting... Traci Harding is a wonderful Author, I couldn't put the novel down, which is usually an easy thing for me :)

Also enjoyed the way she ends her books, simply put; even though she has a 'trilogies', the endings of her books don't seen to 'leave one hanging' somewhat 'driven' to dash and buy the next one... and was totally 'besotted' with Allbray, *giggles* Which is way off center for me, since 'mills and boon' in the late 1970's :)
Alexandra14
Apr 19, 2014 Alexandra14 rated it really liked it
4,5
Toni Yan
Mar 05, 2014 Toni Yan rated it liked it
I read this during high school eighth grade, and it has spawned rumours about my reading material ever since.

For all my high school friends, you'll remember this as the one that had a hand slide up a skirt. Oh woe is me for having read that one chapter titled Seduction on the school bus.
Mary Phillips
Apr 11, 2014 Mary Phillips rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio version of this book. It turned out to be a great story of adventure and love. Read it if you like Fiona McIntosh
Bronte
May 19, 2013 Bronte rated it really liked it
I own the trilogy-in-one-book version so don't be discouraged if you think that I gave up on it after the first book- I didn't. I loved this series because it was so different to anything I had read before. I loved that you were discovering her pasts secrets with her and not knowing what was going to happen next. Clever storyline :D 4 stars!
Shakya Kayne
Jul 20, 2014 Shakya Kayne rated it really liked it
Love this story
Tracey
Dec 27, 2013 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I struggled with this book on a number of levels. I really thought the premise was promising, I was not bothered by the three story lines or the historical context.

I could not connect with characters and my interest was just not being held.
Not a book for me.
Only Me
Aug 27, 2012 Only Me rated it it was amazing
I just adore it . I was like 12 when I first read it, but I loved it from the first two pages. It involved everything that I loved at a book back then. Now, I like more the romantic ones, but it is still on my "fave " list.
Kiera Healy
Dec 25, 2013 Kiera Healy rated it did not like it
This book features psychics whose powers are increased by the female orgasm.

What more do you need to know?
  • The Spell of Rosette (Quantum Enchantment, #1)
  • Betrayal (Trinity, #1)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • Darkwitch Rising (The Troy Game, #3)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Sword of Straw (The Sangreal Trilogy, #2)
Traci Harding, is an Australian science-fantasy author who currently has twelve books in publication, on the Voyager label of HaperCollins Publishers Australia.

Her work blends fantasy, fact, esoteric belief, time travel and quantum physics, into adventurous romps through history, ulternative dimensions, universes and states of consciousness.

The Ancient Future Trilogy
Book 1 -The Ancient Future 199
More about Traci Harding...

Mystique Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Dragon Queens (Mystique Trilogy, #2)
  • The Black Madonna (Mystique Trilogy, #3)