L'abri

L'abri

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  34 reviews
This is the story of L'Abri, the Swiss community founded by Francis and Edith Schaeffer as a place where Christian truth could be lived and demonstrated as well as discussed and debated, a place where hundreds of seekers found the "God who is there."
228 pages
Published by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 28th 1972)

This book really challenged the way I view possessions and even the way I use my time during the day. It is so encouraging to read a book from the perspective of someone who has really "given it all" on a daily basis. I realized that if I truly believe in God's ultimate sovereignty, I need to live a life that wouldn't make sense unless it's true. He is truly trustworthy to provide everything we need in life, financially, emotionally, relationally, etc. I was so encouraged by reading this book th...more
Alexis Neal
Francis Schaeffer's widow recalls their years at L'Abri, a retreat-cum-commune they founded in the Swiss Alps. Although they originally intended to serve as more traditional missionaries to Switzerland, the Schaeffers ended up opening their chalet to literally hundreds of visitors who came to ski the slopes and talk through difficult questions with Edith and her husband. From their first few years in Switzerland, through all sorts of political, financial, personal, and physical obstacles, to the...more
Christine
Such an interesting read of how L'Abri got started (in spite of the Schaeffers' original intentions in moving to the Swiss Alps. Stirring chapters on living by prayer, and in comparison, she made me feel quite lazy and unproductive when looking at just how much was accomplished each day. No Facebook/email distractions for one!! She wrote it in such a way as to be evangelistic as well. Writing out some answers Francis S gave to people's inquiries.

I thought this section particularly thought-provo...more
James Harmeling
I have wanted to read this for some time and am glad I took the opportunity now. This book is the summation of the steps of faith taken by the famed Schaeffers moving from St.Louis to the Swiss Alps by the leading of the Holy Spirit without clarity of task, provision, or even lodging. Their decision to limit their financial requests to prayerful petitions makes sense now that I read Edith's parents having served with CIM.

While sometimes bogged down in details and listing of names, I found the st...more
Kelly
Wonderful book and very quick to read, though it leaves me still wondering how Frances Schaeffer was prepared to give well thought out answers to the questions of all those various people. I don't know how to do it. Mrs. Schaeffer's explanation is unsatisfying. But the more I read the more it seems that the quality of mind that existed in time's past is largely missing from our attainment today. I certainly don't have it, that clarity, the ability to think something through thoroughly, remaining...more
Melissa
Rebekah D
Fantastic book! I wish I could just stretch it out to have it to read forever. I literally cried reading this book, seeing the amazing way that God worked in this ministry!
Coyle
Excellent material, though this could have used a hefty editing. Certainly the chronology and characters could have been straightened out a bit. It wasn't always clear what order things were happening in, and there was far too large a cast of characters, though of course that's part of the point of L'Abri. This does accomplish its task in that it makes me want to learn more about Francis Schaeffer and L'Abri. It does not, however, make me want to do so by reading more of Mrs. Schaeffer's books.

R...more
Clarina
This was a repeat read as I just love the combination of Edith's creativity, the Alps and a record of God at work. All my favourite things in one book! It's a golden oldie (I think it was printed in the late 70s) but its a fab story of how the now HUGE L'Abri movement started and its one I nabbed from my Grandparents bookshelves when I was a uni student.
If you don't know what L'Abri is all about, you can check that out here but seriously worth a read if you like some insight into Francis and Edi...more
Sara
Edith Schaeffer's L'Abri is a touchstone for many conservative Christians who, to this day, still seem to idolize Schaeffer & her husband for their work in establishing the Swiss retreat. Edith's account of their work, in this book, is certainly glowing and positive. If, however, you also read their son's memoir, Crazy for God, as well as one or more of his roman-a-clef such as Portofino, the picture becomes very murky if not dark. Clearly, things were not as wonderful or happy as Edith Scha...more
Ebeth
my first exposure to the world of l'abri that landed me in england the summer of 2006 began by opening this book as a senior in high school. the story of a young couple listening to God, following Him with their family into the unknown, and loving others by way of a homemade meal, life together and honest conversation has left its mark upon me.
Alissa
I was so touched by the Schaeffer's living faith in God, and touched even more by the constant display of God's faithfulness in leading His people. The joy of His provision in times of uncertainty only proves that we were silly to be uncertain in the first place! This book is an encouragement and really resonates with my heart in many ways.
David Freeman
A story that was very influential in my early years as a follower of Jesus. The Schaeffer family demonstrated the reality of God in their lives, and many, many were touched. My own family spent the fall of 1974 at L'Abri in the Farel House program. That time of reflection helped me solidify the foundation of my faith.
Josh Skaggs
This book has shaped my family more than perhaps any other. Honestly, it is not well-written, and I'm sure many would be put off by how much Edith talks of God's interactions with her family. Yet, it centered me in many ways, and I found myself encouraged, strengthened, and dreaming again.
Hope
Terrific overiew of Francis and Edith Schaeffer's ministry to young people searching for truth. This book added a few detail that Tapestry left out.
Wade
This book is Edith’s history of her and Francis starting and running L’Abri ministries. More than anything it is an amazing account of the power of God constantly and repeatedly answering prayer. It is written like a journal, very easy to read and well illustrated.
Chila Woychik
A classic well deserving of the title; a look into the life and workings of the seeker's retreat in Switzerland, L'Abri (the shelter in French). Encouraging and inspiring (and don't let Franky Schaeffer tell you any different, bad boy that he is).
Justin
delightful book with a great perspective on how the schaffers started their community of thinkers, As a person that respects them it was a great book and i cant wait to read others by Edith and Francis, Francis will be missed!
Kappi Hamilton
The Schaeffer's hav long inspired my life....their faith, courage and track record of following the Lord. Edith especially with her giftedness in hospitality is one of my role models. This story tells of their journey.
Kristen
I like reading about the Schaeffers. It got me thinking about ministry, family and hospitality and for that I am very thankful. I probably won’t read it again, abut I appreciated it for what it was (a rosy memoir.)
Barbara
Shows how people who love Jesus and live in a loving Christian community can bring others in. It also shows how faith is lived out day by day by those who are determined to trust in God.
Steve Robinson
L'Abri is one of the most unique Christian and philosophical study centers on the planet. This book describes how it started. I first read it in 1971 and have reread it several times since.
Rachel
This book was full of the amazing & surprising answers to prayers God gave to this faithful family as they sought after Him & His will for their lives. Very encouraging!
Mystie Winckler
Own. Recommended by Jessica.

A fascinating look into the beginnings of L'Abri, with a focus on prayer, hospitality, and trusting God.

Jessica
a good book on God's faithfulness and how He does and will meet our NEEDS exactly at the right time.
Marianne Ogden
I read this a long time ago, and it ignited my imagination for a beautiful Christian community lifestyle.
Lisa
Currently reading outloud to the boys...read it myself while living in Virginia. Loved it.
Kevin
A fascinating journey the Schaeffer's took from the 40's to the 70/80's; God lead them all the way.
Trudy
An inspirational account of the development of the L'Abri fellowship.
  • Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • By Searching: My Journey Through Doubt Into Faith
  • Radical Womanhood: Feminine Faith in a Feminist World
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
The Hidden Art of Homemaking What Is a Family? The Tapestry: The Life and Times of Francis and Edith Schaeffer Affliction Christianity Is Jewish