Start by marking “The Space Machine” as Want to Read:
The Space Machine

The Space Machine

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the back cover:
The story of the War of the worlds as it has never been told before.

Mars was invading the earth!

Giant, long-legged machines, operated by gruesome, octopus-like creatures, were moving over the globe, leveling all opposition, laying waste to cities and countryside, on the verge of horrifying triumph.

This was the War of the Worlds as we know it.

Now at las
Unknown Binding, 363 pages
Published 1976 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Space Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Space Machine

Oscar
En ‘La máquina espacial’, Christopher Priest realiza todo un homenaje a la ciencia ficción de los precursores del género, esa literatura de finales del siglo XIX y principios del XX con sabor a romance científico cuyos mayores exponentes fueron H.G. Wells y Julio Verne.

Lo que nos propone Priest es un pastiche en toda regla, centrándose en dos obras de Wells, ‘La máquina del tiempo’ y ‘La guerra de los mundos’. La historia comienza en 1893, en Inglaterra, y el narrador es Edward Turnbull, un viaj
Sub_zero
5/5

Priest realiza en esta novela una especie de refrito con cierto sabor steampunk entre La máquina del tiempo y La guerra de los mundos, una magistral combinación de historias tan conocidas como elogiadas que, lejos de convertirse en el pretencioso desastre que cabría esperar, consigue explotar lo mejor de ambos relatos sin perder ni un ápice de su manifiesta originalidad. Además de su delicioso estilo, la increíble cantidad de vueltas que da la trama y la imprevisibilidad de la misma a pesar d
Rich Daley
I'm a massive Christopher Priest fan, and also loved the two HG Wells books in whose universe this story is set, so I had pretty high expectations of The Space Machine.

It didn't disappoint. The story is original enough and runs brilliantly parallel to the events of Wells's classics, as well as providing a humorous retrospective on social attitudes of the time.

I don't want to say much more or I'll spoil it. Suffice to say, it fits perfectly - and where it doesn't, Priest has a good explanation.

Martha Sockel
I picked up this book a couple of months ago ..after hearing about this Scientific Romance written by Christopher Priest, written as a homage to H.G Wells. And by God, this book lived up to my expectations!

An elegant pastiche of The Time Machine and The War Of The Worlds, written in a Victorian hand reminiscent of Wells, the Space Machine starts off as a seemingly innocent Victorian-era romance then, through a quirk of fate, the two main protagonists are accidentally shot off to Mars and encount
Mitchell
This was a weird little book. It's an effort by Priest to fuse together H.G. Wells' two most famous novels, The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine, into a single shared universe. The story begins with the narrator, Edward Turnbull, meeting Amelia Fitzgibbon, the assistant to an inventor named William Reynolds. While the two of them are tinkering around with his time machine (which also transports people through space), they find themselves stranded on Mars, prior to the Martian invasion of E ...more
Kernos
Jan 23, 2014 Kernos rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic SF geeks.
Shelves: science-fiction
A clever and enjoyable conflation of HG Wells' War of the Worlds and his The Time Machine. At first it read like a Victorian comedy of manners, but as it moved into SF adventure, became a 70's SF action-adventure. I wish Priest has kept up the Victorian sound of the prose. I found no other allegorical elements in the story, as some reviewers have suggested. Priest has expanded the Wellsian universe, but has not improved upon it. Read the originals first.
Simon Hedge
Dec 10, 2013 Simon Hedge rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes fun!
Some people may tell you that this is an exciting adventure which brilliantly connects H.G. Wells' The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds. Don't believe a word of it! This is actually a devastating study of the effects of a repressively puritanical society on the psyches of its young men and women.
Our protagonist, Trumbull, begins the story as a young man making his way through Victorian gentility. His body is subject to the normal desires of any twenty-three year old man, but Trumbull wo
John

I read this in the omnibus edition (with the wonderful A Dream of Wessex) that was done by the short-lived imprint Earthlight, 'way back when.

As will be evident to all, I'm a great fan of Priest's work. I read this novel many years ago and, while I enjoyed it on its own terms, felt it to be the weakest of his books. Rereading it recently confirmed both of these senses to me: the fact that his writing has gone from strength to strength in later novels makes The Space Machine seem even flimsier, y
Ана Хелс
Увличането ми по класическите фантасти, които не са се осъзнавали като такива за времето си, е повече от явно, за тези , които са посгрешили да бъдат между мрън-мрън-сетте ми редовни читатели, но това е първия своего рода фен-фик по темата, на който попадам, и то написан не от прохождащ ентусиаст, ами от небезизвестно име като Кристофър Прийст. Та позволете ми малко да потанцувам на петички от удоволствието в досега с изключителен пример за псевдо-класика на фентъзийните умотворения.

Машината на
Christian
La máquina espacial tiene el curioso honor de ser una especie de secuela no oficial de La guerra de los mundos, y una especie de precuela también no oficial de La máquina del tiempo.

Priest, autor de El mundo invertido y El prestigio, nos da un nuevo vistazo a los acontecimientos de La guerra de los mundos, visto a través de los ojos de un nuevo grupo de personajes y ampliado en gran medida. El autor recrea escenas familiares del asalto a Londres de la novela original, así como una mirada de cerc
Olethros
-Revisión de clásicos, uniendo sus conceptos y desarrollando alguna de sus ideas.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. A comienzos de la última década del siglo XIX en Inglaterra, Edward Turnbull es un viajante que está teniendo poca suerte con las ventas de los productos que representa. Cuando se hospeda en el mismo lugar que Amelia Fitzgibbon, secretaria del conocido inventor Sir William Reynolds, Edward ve una oportunidad para llegar hasta el científico y ofrecerle material que puede se
Oscar_LRB
Un homenaje a «La máquina del tiempo» y «La guerra de los mundos» es lo que podemos encontrar en esta novela.
El arranque me parece muy bueno, pero a medida que avanzamos el autor se recrea (en mi opinión) demasiado en la descripción de las batallas, lo que puede resultar una lectura un poco lenta y que contrasta con el ritmo inicial.
Posiblemente lo que a mí me pueda parecer «restar puntos» a la novela otros lo puedan encontrar como un aliciente.
En todo caso es una lectura entretenida.
Teniendo
Tim
Jul 10, 2013 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A very entertaining melding of HG Wells' War of theWorlds and The Time Machine. Is this the "true story" of what actually happened? I guess we may never know.

Told in a slightly quirky Victorian style in keeping with its late 19th/early 20th century setting, it does take a little time to get going, but if you're fans of the original works, you'll find this a charming "alternate history".

The audiobook is brilliantly narrated by Barnaby Edwards, well known in Dr Who circles both as the actor inside
Adi
Having never heard of Christopher Preist before, and having never read War of the Worlds, I did not have any expectations when I started this book. It didn't take me that long to finish it, and I can genuinely say that overall it was a nice book, with a simple plot and memorable characters. I would have preferred if the book had more dimensions and more twists. Once the main conflict was established, it was pretty obvious how the book will end. And still, I feel as if a lot of questions were not ...more
Mark
I really enjoyed this book. I love Sci-Fi set in Victorian times where you don't have to worry about justifying the science element.
It is the 'true' story behind the 'Time Machine
and War of the Worlds
It is a ponderous book and you will need to be patient.
It does amble and sometimes loses direction but again I think it works. Also if you have read the two books it is based on it is quite gratifying see things slot into place.

Wif
2.5 stars actually. The first part of this ur-steampunk romp from 1976 is wonderful, but it starts to fall apart after the characters leave Earth, just gets a bit silly. Chapter 14 has odd parallels to the Craker storytelling scenes in Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam.
Olivier
En la pasada WonderCon en San Francisco, me hice de este librín en el stand de un grupo llamado The Science Fiction Outreach Project, donde podías tomar los libros gratis. Su finalidad por supuesto, era promover la ciencia ficción. Tomé éste y otro llamado The Missing Man; a ver qué tal...

Muy interesante, de pronto algo lento en sus descripciones.
Leif
Less an exciting romp, more of a painful stagger. Priest's signature weirdness - his best aspect - gets lost in the mock-Victoriana, while the Wellsian in-joke doesn't have the stamina to keep the novel going. At times I was interested, but on the whole I was simply eager to have done with the whole affair.
Cécile C.
A fun little adventure story, with a tongue-in-cheek look at H.G. Wells and Victorian technology. It really feels like a contemporary pastiche, for fun more than for criticism. There are tripods and time machines, fast-paced adventure and everything. It's probably a little forgettable, but it's fun!
Martin Lake
If you love the finest writing, if you love science fiction, if you love humour, historical fiction and a page turning read, get this.

It is one of the real joys of twentieth century writing.

Priest is a master and this shows his skills in plenty.

I hope that it is soon published on ebook.
Michael
The Time Machine meets The War of the Worlds with lots of great Victorian stuffiness. Mr. Priest is good and this book is fun.
Ian
It gets a bagging from many critics, but I loved the melding of Victorian England and science fiction and time travel.
Andy Holyer
Excellent.
Lucy
Lucy added it
Dec 14, 2014
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
  • The Garin Death Ray
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
  • Island of Icarus
  • Flaming London
  • The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance (Oswald Bastable, #2)
  • A Matter of Honor (Knife of Truth, #1)
  • Souls in the Great Machine (Greatwinter Trilogy, #1)
  • Heart of Iron
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume One
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
  • Red Star
  • The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale (Stormy Gale, #1)
  • Carnal Machines: Steampunk Erotica
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (The Magnetron Chronicles, #1)
Christopher Priest was born in Cheshire, England. He began writing soon after leaving school and has been a full-time freelance writer since 1968.

He has published eleven novels, four short story collections and a number of other books, including critical works, biographies, novelizations and children’s non-fiction.

He has written drama for radio (BBC Radio 4) and television (Thames TV and HTV). In
More about Christopher Priest...
The Prestige The Inverted World The Affirmation The Islanders The Glamour