Start by marking “Father Sergius & Other Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Father Sergius & Other Short Stories

Read Book

Father Sergius & Other Short Stories

Tolstoy is perhaps best recognized as the author of the classic novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina. While he was able to sustain complex and moving plots though large novels, his ability as a great writer also is demonstrated in his many short stories. Tolstoy brings to these brief tales the same psychological depth and spiritual insight found in his large novels. In f ...more
Audio CD, 156 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Hovel Audio (first published January 1st 1911)

To ask other readers questions about Father Sergius & Other Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Sergius & Other Short Stories

Oct 04, 2009 Troy rated it really liked it
A nice collection. I read someone somewhere say that Tolstoy's short stories were a great introduction to his works, and since I haven't read more than a few abridged versions of his writings, in my voracious-reading youth, I picked up another collection of his short stories earlier this year, and read "Death of Ivan Ilych" and "Family Happiness", both of which were *great*, and also recommended.

I'm finding audiobooks pretty fulfilling these days. I've always appreciated them for when you have t
Joe Newell
May 30, 2012 Joe Newell rated it liked it
It was interesting as a diversion from the usual. Tolstoy, much like fellow Russian author Dostoyevsky usually have very deep and recurring religious themes in their stories. This was the case here.

Carsten Thomsen
Oct 21, 2013 Carsten Thomsen rated it liked it
Tolstoy is a master storyteller. Besides his two famous novels Anna Karenina and War and Peace he also wrote numerous short stories and novellas. This compilation has six stories that focus on loss, powerty, unjust suffering, religious doubt, forgiveness and compassion.

The first one - and the longest - is also the best, Father Sergius. It's about a young man in the military with a promising career, who give up everything to become a monk, later a hermit and a pilgrim. But throughout his life he
May 17, 2007 Basmah rated it it was amazing
The only short story I really read was Father Sergeius, but it has been one of my favorites since high school. I don't know what it is about it, but despite all the tribulations and sadness Katzatzky goes through, I still feel like I can relate to his quest to find a purpose in life and his struggle with morality and religion.
Glenn-Arild Grimsby
Oct 03, 2016 Glenn-Arild Grimsby rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, classic
Mostly good stories.
Nov 16, 2011 Halida rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, russian
I downloaded it from feedbooks -only got to read "Father Sergius" and not the other stories. It was my first time reading Tolstoy and I fell in love right away.
Feb 22, 2012 John rated it liked it
I think these stories would be great discussion starters for a myriad of topics, mostly religious.
Todd B.
Jul 15, 2008 Todd B. rated it really liked it
An intimate look at relationships, spirituality, and human friction by a master.
Jul 19, 2008 Ike rated it liked it
Listened to it while driving to and from the Oregon Coast and I found it enjoyable.
Slim Tree
Jul 10, 2008 Slim Tree rated it it was amazing
Life is Ocean of misery.
Digi Munoz
Digi Munoz marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Ин Ян
Ин Ян rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Patricia Herrera
Patricia Herrera rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
Halvor (Raknes)
Halvor (Raknes) marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Dizzy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
بهمن بهمن
بهمن بهمن rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2016
Cheri rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
mizzip is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2016
Gautam Kamath
Gautam Kamath rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Inasirimavo rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Irene Taschek
Irene Taschek marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Max rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Jim Kemp
Jim Kemp rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Mjuvilla rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Mark Papierski
Mark Papierski rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Monica rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and a pinnacle of realist fiction. Many consider To ...more
More about Leo Tolstoy...