Start by marking “Bloodchild” as Want to Read:
Bloodchild

Bloodchild

Contains the short story Bloodchild only.

Years ago a group known as the Terrans left Earth in search of a life free of persecution. Now they live alongside the Tlic, an alien race who face extinction; their only chance of survival is to plant their larvae inside the bodies of the humans.

When Gan, a young, boy, is chosen as a carrier of Tlic eggs, he faces an impossible dil
Published March 13th 2014 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Bloodchild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodchild

Negativni
Aug 16, 2016 Negativni rated it it was amazing
Skupina ljudi pobjegne sa Zemlje u potrazi za slobodnijim životom, da bi na nepoznatom planetu postali domaćini parazitskoj rasi. Oh, the irony!

Zanimljivo, Octavia E. Butler u pogovoru piše da je iznenađena što ljudi misle da je ova priča o ropstvu. Pa, meni se također činilo da je to glavna tema - ljudi žive u Rezervatu, podijeljeni su među tim vanzemaljcima i oni ih doslovno uzgajaju samo da bi ih korisitili kao domaćine za svoje larve - a ona kaže da je to priča o ljubavi dva vrlo različita b
Nicole
Aug 11, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I was going to at the beginning. I was a little hesitant about how sci-fi it was and in what way (not being huge on less "realistic" sci-fi), but the story was very visceral and engaging and feminist and pregnant with meaning (pun intended). This uncomfortable resigned human-alien cohabitation (view spoiler) is one I have not often seen and made for a really good introduction to Octavia Butl ...more
Zaz
Jun 04, 2016 Zaz rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
Landing on another planet, already inhabited by creatures, often turns ugly in scifi. Bloodchild was a nice compromise between cohabiting and surviving, with touches of fear, love and disgust. As with Kindred, the writing flew easily, the story was interesting and I liked to discover what was happening with the characters, even if I didn't understand everything at the beginning.
Ellie [The Empress]
Dec 03, 2016 Ellie [The Empress] rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All sci-fi fans
This story is still offered for free on Amazon, so go and get it.

6 stars and a new favorite. Can't praise this story and Octavia's writing highly enough.
Matthew Lloyd
Nov 22, 2014 Matthew Lloyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I've been meaning to read some Octavia E. Butler for a while, but the only book in the OUSFG library was not the first Xenogenesis book ( Adulthood Rites , I think...) and I have so many books around that buying more has not been my priority. But then I moved country, didn't bring any books besides my kindle with me, and thus felt justified in seeking out some Butler. It was certainly worth it.

Bloodchild is a short story, with (in the edition I read) an Afterword by Butler about the genesis of t
Amber
Oct 14, 2016 Amber rated it it was amazing
Bloodchild is an amazing short story that illustrates, as beautiful allegory, the parasitic nature of both settler colonialism as well as slave societies, without being overtly political (Octavia Butler has stated overtly that this is not a story about slavery but is a love story; however, this is my experience as a reader, prior to that knowledge). The story is visceral and well paced, and in just 30 pages, the main character moves from a naive state to a more dynamic actor with a certain ...more
Katherine McDade
Apr 09, 2014 Katherine McDade rated it really liked it
This short story will lodge itself deep in your mind--I'm still wondering how Butler managed to pack so many major themes in 20 pages. It is her "male pregnancy" story, and it certainly requires gender norms to be left at the door. Limited agency is another factor each of the characters struggles with. Though some might argue it's a story about slavery, I see it as a love story through and through as it begs the question of whether or not humans are truly capable of being blind to difference. ...more
Carolina
Nov 03, 2014 Carolina rated it it was amazing
This short story gives me grave-digging urges. Miss Butler's grave, anyone? I got some worshipping to do, and I fear it'll only be enough once I do it face to face. Or face to skull. Hardly matters, as long as I get the job done.
FamilyPenguin
Feb 10, 2016 FamilyPenguin rated it really liked it
Very intriguing yet short. I definitely want to read more by Octavia Butler.
Katie
Aug 26, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
(4.5 stars)

Why oh why isn't this full length?!?!
Cassie

Terrifying.

I started this short story without reading the synopsis beforehand (it was free and from an author I've always wanted to read), and I can say I was definitely taken aback - in a good, slightly weirded out, seriously intrigued, way.

There are aliens who look like a giant blend of scorpion and centipede. There is male pregnancy. There are flesh eating worms. An yet, it still manages to be an elegant, thought-provoking tale that will change your perspective of the world in whi
James Cain
Nov 22, 2016 James Cain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Absolutely terrifying. It's incredible how much butler can write so much with so little. This book proves that she is still one of the best and most over looked authors in sci-fi.
Mishiko Sato
Dec 01, 2016 Mishiko Sato rated it it was amazing
Un cuento que tiene todo el sabor de la trilogía Zenogenesis. Impactante y aberrante. Octavia E. Butler hace que sienta ganas de gritar de impotencia.
Rafael
Nov 23, 2016 Rafael rated it it was amazing
Não sabia o que esperar de Octavia Butler, e agora não quero nem pensar sobre o que é uma relação sexual.
Susannah Ewing boelke
Nov 18, 2016 Susannah Ewing boelke rated it really liked it
Chilling.
Cassandra
Nov 13, 2016 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
We listened to this as an audio book during a road trip. Wow was it creepy! I like it.
Jessica
Nov 07, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
fuck me up, Octavia. fuck me up.
Hális F.
Oct 03, 2016 Hális F. rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
The way I see it, Bloodchild is a tale of sex as an idea of survival and compromise that need not be unkind, nor cynical even. While intertwining it with a coming-of-age narrative, Octavia E. Butler has a way of bringing up sensitive subjects by sowing together the feelings of care and fear of the other that ties up what it means to be sexually engaged and its psychological consequences.
Cliff
Rating - 2.5
I hold animosity towards the Tlic. Their lack of consent, deceptive behavior, and violently intrusive means of reproduction make them a terrifying overlord and an even more terrifying "lover," much like current governments and the worst kind of partner. I found this to be an alright-ish horror, an interesting dystopia, but a putrid romance. I found it hard to swallow her thoughts on human nature and psychological realism.

Bloodchild makes a weak case at non-violent action towards the
Christina Smith
Mar 26, 2016 Christina Smith rated it really liked it

It is about the relationship between the Terrans and the Tic aliens. A young man by the name of Gan is chosen, sacrificed by his mother to carry T'Gatois eggs, become pregnant with the eggs. I found this story to be quite interesting. The spin on the male pregnancy took me for a whirl.

Michelle Mitterer
Mar 25, 2016 Michelle Mitterer rated it really liked it
Bloodchild is a short story of a human male learning and coming to age. He learns his role in life is to carry the eggs of an alien species. He struggles between the honor of being chosen to carry the eggs of T’Gatoli who is the Tlic government official in charge of the Preserve and wanting to choose his own path in life.
Gan, a young human boy, enters a rite of passage where he lives on an alien planet. The Terrans who are the humans, escaped earth and came to the alien planet where the Tlic li
Imyril
Apr 21, 2016 Imyril rated it really liked it
I sometimes think Octavia Butler is rather above my likes and dislikes. I don't even know how I feel about this short story, which could easily inspire essays (which would possibly be longer than the story itself). That's the wonderful thing about Butler: she wrote fiction that makes you think. And think some more.

On an alien world, a small community of human offworlders live on a preserve. Both protected and - arguably - trapped, they have developed a symbiotic relationship: the alien Tlic must
M
Feb 08, 2015 M rated it it was amazing
First of all, I loved this!

The reason I am reading this right now, is that I have / used to have an issue with pre-Cyberpunk SciFi (generally speaking - exceptions apply): My issue is that many of them are overly conceptual and not very strong on detailed descriptions or style; they convey ideas but little look and feel.
Writers that fall into this imo are Sturgeon, Bradley, Niven, LeGuin and, I thought Butler.

Having just listened to this story as podcast on drabblecast.org - its even free - http
Dione Basseri
Humanity sees itself as future universe-conquorors, destined to explore and populate the stars, or, at the very least, ally themselves with the alien races they find on other worlds. But perhaps we are not meant to be keepers of the cosmos. Perhaps we are little more than livestock.

Gan is nearing the day when his family's Tlic will bestow upon him the gift of life by implanting him with her eggs. It's considered a great honor and duty. But perhaps it is far more sacrifice than he was ever led to
Mollie  (Bookdictive Reviews)
Idc if this is a great work of fiction/short story writing. I'm grossed out.

However, I think the feel of a love story is worth four stars. But the weirdness of it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Anna
Jun 14, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A dystopian science fiction short story of humans on a different planet, living as hosts/friends/captives or something to an alien race. That "something" and how complicated that relationship really is takes up the main bulk of Bloodchild. This seems to often be described as a coming of age story, but really it's more about facing realities, and that those realities are complex and not always easy to untangle.

Plotqwise, if Alien is a popular take on men's fear of rape, then Bloodchild could be d
Keith
Dec 06, 2015 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Dawn and Adulthood Rites have made me a huge Octavia Butler fan. I looked forward to reading Bloodchild, but I was left with mixed feelings after reading it. As expected, Butler touched on many significant topics. The element of male pregnancy was unique. The "Preserve" invoked thoughts of the Native American reservations. The way the Tlic viewed Terrans reminded me of the American slavery era. However, there was so much going on that I felt that the story was left incomplete. There seemed to be ...more
Hannah
Apr 07, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This was weird and wonderful at the same time. I've heard so manz things about Octavia Butler's writing and it has always intrigued me. When I saw this short story on Amazon for free I simply had to try it out. I had no idea what to expect going into this and while it was nothing like I've read before I thought it was marvellously done. For me Bloodchild is a short story that explores love, fear and acceptance on a very outlandish (literally) and disturbing level. Butler deals with these themes ...more
Taksya
Nov 01, 2015 Taksya rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, racconto
Altro racconto che, come unica nota negativa, ha il fatto che la storia narrata sarebbe stata perfetta per un romanzo di più ampio respiro.
Abbiamo solo accenni riguardo al passato che ha portato i personaggi al momento narrato. Abbastanza per capire cosa è accaduto, ma non abbastanza da non desiderare di più.
I personaggi sono ben tratteggiati e, nelle poche pagine, riusciamo a comprendere le necessità di tutti... che siano umani o alieni.
I temi trattati sono controversi e avrebbero meritato a lo
Cole Jack
Dec 22, 2015 Cole Jack rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cole Jack by: Melissa Stevenson
This short story follows the relationship between Terrans (humans from Earth) and their symbiotic relationships with the Tlic alien race. After Gan is picked by T'Gatoi to carry her eggs in a form of male pregnancy, he must choose whether he is willing to help this alien species or if he will try to clutch onto his freedom.

This short story gives so much depth to the characters and relationships. Even after reading it a dozen times I can still find new things to think about, which is one of the
  • Sleeper
  • Polynia
  • Enemy Mine
  • The Star
  • Midway Relics and Dying Breeds
  • Fire Watch (Oxford Time Travel, #0.5)
  • Lobsters
  • First Flight
  • Space Casey
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • Diverse Energies
  • The Waiting Stars

Octavia Estelle Butler was an American science fiction writer, one of the best-known among the few African-American women in the field. She won both Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, she became the first science fiction writer to receive the MacArthur Foundation "Genius" Grant.
More about Octavia E. Butler...