Start by marking “Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Who but Rick Steves can tell travelers how to take self-guided walking tours along the Champs-Elysées and through the Marais? With Rick Steves’ Paris 2007, travelers can experience the best of everything the city has to offer— economically and hassle-free. Completely revised and updated, Rick Steves’ Paris 2007 includes opinionated coverage of both famous and lesser-known ...more
Published September 28th 2006 by Avalon Travel Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' Paris 2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' Paris 2007

Jeffrey
Jan 18, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want easy guides to touring key exhibits
Shelves: travel-guides
I thought the expose on various places to visit was very informative. There are maps to where to go, and small nuggets of information about various tours. The information about Versailles was especially informative. He lays it on the line for you.
Elizabeth
The best. Easy to read and great tips on what to see and where to go. The museum pass tip saved us hours of waiting in line and the tip about just don't get impatient in restaurants because there is usually just one waiter was a helpful hint for impatient Americans. He guided to Giverny and Avingnon on the train.
Kiersten
This book was fabulous. My only regret was that we didn't follow his hotel recommendations--the hotels that we stayed in on his advice in Italy were much more charming than the chain that we stayed in in Paris. I was actually a little stressed out about going to the Louvre; we'd spent hours in the Vatican museum in Rome and by the end were on sensory overload, just ready to get out. But we followed Rick Steve's tour from the book (we actually downloaded audio guides onto our iPods, which was awe ...more
Wyma
Incredible! Cindy Mc lent me her 2003 and I had to buy one I could tear pages out of to take with me...yes I do that with travel books and then replace with new edition (which is out late this month).

The Paris is even better than the Steves' Spain. It has very special walks described for each arrondissement. The one for Montmartre takes you around to all the artist's and writer's homes. Unfortunately I spent too much time at Sacre Coeur and did not get to take it. But now I know what I will do n
Christina
Without a doubt, this is the most informative book I have read to prepare for my upcoming trip to Paris. Rick Steves provides detailed walking tours through several Parisian neighborhoods and gives a lot of detail about works of art in many Paris museums, including the Louvre, Orsay, and Pompidou Center. His hotel and restaurant recommendations are more moderately-priced than those found in Frommers or Fodors and are mostly located in Rue Cler and Marais, quieter areas that may appeal more to mi ...more
Stacy
Who doesn't love a book about Paris? If you're one of them, WHY?!! This is a travel book for people planning on visiting the "City of Lights." Or you might like to read it just in case you go to Paris some day. Either way, Rick Steve's shares my travel philosophy (but not my marijuana philosphy)and when I took my first backpacking trip through Europe at the age of 21, his book was my travel bible. Don't worry, I had a real bible too. He's funny, sarcastic, can see the genuine and help you avoid ...more
This was a great overview of Paris. I think I disagree with Mr. Steves on food but I found most of his information accurate and helpful. He did make me totally paranoid about picpockets. It wasn't as bad as he said it would be but I can think of at least 3 times when someone tried to scam us and we were able to avoid and protect ourselves. Basic rule of thumb, don't talk to strangers on the street or surrounding tourist attractions. I was amazed at how often I saw other Americans strutting aroun ...more
Shannon Connors
Nov 09, 2007 Shannon Connors rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs to get away for 15 minutes a day
Shelves: travel
Rick Steves tells it like it is about the places he visits -- if he likes a place, he'll tell you, but if he thought it was crowded, over-priced, or kitchy, he'll tell you that too. No color pictures in this book, but each chapter outlines a self-guided tour through part of Paris. Separate chapters for each of the great neighborhoods (Montmartre, Champes Elysees, etc.), day trips (Palace of Versailles), and sites (the Louvre, Musee de Orsay, etc.). Each chapter takes 15-30 minutes to read. Great ...more
Alexandra
This was by far better than Lonely Planet's Paris guide, which I also had on this trip. It is organized in walks, so that you are taken along particular streets through each area. The nice thing about this is that Steves highlights buildings, monuments, or just features along the way and talks about their history and significance in an often funny, lighthearted way. He also has walks through the famous museums, like the Louvre and Orsay, with stops at particular important works with brief, enter ...more
Kelly
I actually have the 2009 version - this is my current must read for our vacation. The book is very well written - I will update my review after our trip. It may very well be worth all 5 stars.

This book was a God send on our trip to Paris. I don't know what we would have done without it. It had great tips and an overview of the city. Also included were museum tour guides - these really helped us get thru the Louvre, Orsay, and Versailles.

I will never travel to Europe without one of his books. Th
Linda
I have been to Paris three times in the last six months and wouldn't travel without this book. I have read and used a variety of travel guides on Paris and this is by far the best. Steve's not only gives great advice but his writing style is succinct and humorous. I did find that because some art is moved in the Louvre on a regular basis that his guide to the exact locations of some of the must-see works were not accurate. Make sure you pick up a map when you get there.

Kelli
Another fairly solid one from the Steves-ster. I especially liked his "Historic Paris Walk". That was worth the price of the book right there. It's also nice how he encourages every-day tourists to really experience a place rather than just dodging about and taking pictures. I found his tone a little more patronizing this time (than with my Spain experience), but I do think he's having an impact on the average traveler...which is a good thing.
Windy
I looked at several Paris tour books, but enjoyed this one the most. I appreciated his realization that not everyone who travels can afford the best of everything. He was down to earth - my kind of traveler. I loved the fact that every now and again he'd throw in a hilarious comment or statement. I'd be reading a section out loud at one of the tourist sites and bust out laughing because of a funny comment. Informative and entertaining!
Elizabeth
I actually have the 2009 edition.

More prescriptive than Fodor's, I have high hopes for several of his itineraries (though it's a little bleak on restaurants outside his prescribed area). Like with Paris: Wish You Were Here, the ultimate test will be when I actually go.

A friend of Morgan's lent us this book.
Kandace Brigleb
May 18, 2008 Kandace Brigleb rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you are heading to Paris, this is a must read. But, don't follow too closely!
Generally, Rick's outlook on travel mirrors my own (thrifty on the hotel, lavishly on the taste buds) and the information presented is priceless. We chose to stay in the rue Cler neighborhood based on descriptions here and were delighted with the proximity to a bustling market area and the tower. However, the absolute worst meal I had in all of France came from a restaurant highly recommended in this book.
Callie
A little cumbersome for purse carrying but good suggestions never the less... we found some inconsistencies with times things were opened, bus/metro schedules, ticket prices, etc. which was a little frustrating since this is a 2009 edition after all.
Also, I don't recommend the #69 bus after 4pm in November, the cemetery was closed and it became dark within about 20 min. of the tour. Boo! :(
Kaye
Used the 2009 edition for our recent trip to Paris. Particularily helpful for walking tours through neighborhoods. Highlight tours in museums. If you go to Pere Lachasse cemetary stop and get a map from a florist the guide in the book is not detailed enough. He uses hand drawn maps that could be inmproved with a little more detail or color photos but then it wouldn't be Rick Steves.
Karen
I think Rick is a serious nerd, but that's the way I will always travel. You need a nerd to help you gain background and plan your trip. I learned that each waking hour in Europe is $10 per person, so you better make the most of it! We had a great trip. One drawback? You don't want everyone to see the book, because it's an instant giveaway that you're a tourist. Oh well.
Yuki
Feb 04, 2008 Yuki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
Recommended to Yuki by: Mark
Shelves: travel
Great suggested routes and sights depending on whether you have a few days, weeks, or just a few hours. On a short (4-day) visit to Paris I had only two hours for the Louvre before catching a train, and this guidebook got me to all my "must sees" in plenty of time. Quite a feat in such an enormous building. I buy Rick Steves' guides for every European country I visit.
Jasmin
I used this book during my trip to France last July, and it is undoubtedly one of the best travel books I have consulted. It had all the information I needed and included some great travel trips. I carried it with me everywhere and I believe having this guide enhanced my experience (and understanding) of Paris. I would certainly travel with Rick Steves again.
Adriana
This travel book has everything!!!! Wherever I ever wind up going....I'm relying on Rick Steve's. Am planning my whole trip with this book from sights to dining ....and even has history and directions ....Love It!!!!

This was a life saver when planning the trip. It told which days and times to go to beat the crowds at the most popular sights.
J.L.
I received this as a gift and found it very useful on my trip to France this past fall. I carried it with me everywhere. It's small, but full of maps, info. Came really in handy while in the D'orsay. Laid out where everything was with good notes on the paintings and artifacts. Good sections on eating and staying in various sections of Paris.
Mark
I love Rick Steve's guide books. His clear descriptions, helpful tips, and accurate information really helped us on a recent trip to Paris. He also has some very helpful audio-guides to download from his website that were very helpful for certain walks and museums. I highly recommend this book for anyone visiting Paris for the first time.
Eugene
While not exactly what you'd call literature, this book is very helpful for those visiting Paris. Regardless of how we felt about walking into a restaurant that happens to be filled with Americans clutching this book (happened all the time), the recommendations that Rick Steves provides are spot on, and almost never let us down.
Maureen
Rick Steves has great suggestions of things to see and do and provides a lot of interesting background information. It is worth reading before you travel, as it is mostly information and low on pictures. It takes time to delve in and learn. He gives fantastic, affordable restaurant recommendations, which were very helpful.
Dora
Jun 10, 2009 Dora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling to Paris
Shelves: travel, own
Wandered around Paris with this book in hand. What I liked best about it was that there were tours in the book. When we went to the Louvre and Notre Dame and when we walked along the Champs Elysee, we could read right along. There was just enough information that we didn't get bogged down. Excellent investment.
Emily
A great guidebook - I am going to use the information from this book to help plan our Paris trip. There is a lot of information not only about sites to visit, but also great insights into hotels, restaurants and cafes, and shopping.

Since I speak no French, I'm also going to be picking up his French phrases book.
Meredith
While at times the writing is a bit cheesy, overall this is a highly informative guidebook. Sure, the hand-drawn maps get a little annoying, but with this guidebook and a decent map of the city (such as Paris Circulation or Paris Classique, available at any Relay store or street kiosk), you are good to go.
Sundry
Pretty much read the whole thing, yes. Except of course all the detailed descriptions of hotels.

I love his suggestions for walks through various neighborhoods. Walking is the main thing in Paris. Walking and pausing in cafes, and sitting with a notebook and a pen.

15 1/2 working days… and counting!
Ashlee
Dec 29, 2007 Ashlee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone traveling to Paris
This book has been so helpful during my trip to Paris. Steve's gives so many tips on how to beat lines at the museums, what to watch out for when you take the bus and personalized walking tours through the streets of Paris. I could not have made the trip as amazing as it was with out this book!
  • Paris
  • Fodor's London 2012
  • France (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • The Food Lover's Guide to Paris: The Best Restaurants, Bistros, Cafés, Markets, Bakeries, and More
  • Italy
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness: A Patient Revolution Against Decades of Inferior Treatment
  • The Aimee Leduc Companion: A Guide to Cara Black's Paris
  • Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris
  • Mafia State: How one reporter became an enemy of the brutal new Russia
  • The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2014
  • Great Britain
  • On Paris
  • 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die
  • The I Ching or Book of Changes: A Guide to Life's Turning Points
  • Top 10 Paris (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine
  • New York
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...
Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2007: The Travel Skills Handbook  Travel as a Political Act Rick Steves' Italy 2007 Rick Steves' Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler Rick Steves' Postcards from Europe: 25 Years of Travel Tales from America's Favorite Guidebook Writer