Start by marking “The Acrobat” as Want to Read:
The Acrobat

The Acrobat

This is the story of an acrobat who leaves the circus in search of a new audience. He tries with all his best tricks to attract the attention of passers by, but no one is interested. Just when he's about to give up all hope, something extraordinary happens to change his luck. Written and illustrated by a fresh new talent, this gentle and humorous story will appeal to ...more
Published February 1st 2016 by Child's Play International (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Acrobat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Acrobat

Whitney Rachel
The illustrations are what I love most about this book.

I think there is a message in here somewhere, but I wasn't quite picking up on it. The acrobat isn't getting noticed, which in itself is problematic - suggesting that one cannot be content without the affirmation of others - so he decides to leave the circus in hope of finally being noticed. Unfortunately, he's still being ignored in his new environment so he decides to quit. (GREAT, JUST GIVE UP ON WHAT YOU LOVE, MR. ACROBAT) After giving
Alicia Scully
While on a hunt for circus books, I couldn't pass this one up. The acrobat feels ignored with all the amazing talent around him, so he goes off to find his spotlight. It was a cute enough story about going after what you want and it had a very sympathetic tone, but there wasn't necessarily a major moment that made me go, "my new favorite thing!" It will probably be very exciting during our circus reading of it. We shall see. I also wasn't super won over with the overall tone of the book, but ...more
Naomi
May 31, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
The acrobat doesn't think he is noticed at the circus so he leaves to head to the park where he knows he will stand out. Problem is that he is invisible there with others focused on what they went to the park for. Flustered, he feeds the birds. Then, he becomes noticed.

Cute, funny read. Very colorful! I loved the facial expressions of the acrobat. It was the little things that made this book remarkable.
Rbettermann
I enjoyed reading this picture book. I would use it as a read aloud for my students. I would use activities that involve a circus and it would be a lot of fun to invite someone in who could juggle or perform as in a circus. I would want the students to be happy that the Acrobat found his joy at last in his life. I would used this book for grades k-2.
Romelle
The illustrations are fun, colorful, unique, and lovely. It made up for what it lacked in text. The story felt slight with its abrupt and unexpected ending, but its quiet humor and quirkiness added charm. Actually, the more I read it, the more I enjoyed it. It is visually pleasing!
Gps
Sep 01, 2014 Gps rated it liked it
great illustrations, but a weak story line. I was not sure what message the writer/illustrator was trying to convey.

Karen
Sep 18, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderfully, weird, delightful, quirky and charming book. The story is simple and memorable, and the vivid illustrations seem to jump off of the page.
Paula Hollohan
Oct 23, 2015 Paula Hollohan rated it it was ok
Makes me think of the Rolling Stones song, "You don't always get what you want." This story is okay but not great.
Jen
Mar 26, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, storytime, birds, circus
cheery bright pictures. repetitive text that kids could read along with. surprising ending. We love this book!
Ms Threlkeld
Apr 01, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Huh. I loved the illustrations. The use of white space and bright colors really brought the characters to life. The resolution, however, left me completely unsatisfied.
Alyson
Mar 29, 2014 Alyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Keep trying and you will find your success. What a fun, but not preachy way to get that message across.
Brindi
3 1/2 stars because the illustrations are fantastic. wish the story line was a little more interesting, still will share with the kids.
Peninnah
Jul 26, 2015 Peninnah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J. Bryce
Feb 19, 2015 J. Bryce rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, children-s
I probably liked this better than the kids did, and I didn't like it THAT much. Cute, though!
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Alexa Williams-Brown
Alexa Williams-Brown rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Ama
cute illustrations.
Justin Bloch
Justin Bloch rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Brandielle
Brandielle rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Athina Asim
Athina Asim rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Jen
Mar 12, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The illustrations for this are pretty.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Hajnal
Hajnal rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Lizannegruber
Lizannegruber rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Gabriel Alborozo is an illustrator whose books include Let’s Paint!, Let’s Play, and Good Night, Firefly, among others. Before becoming an illustrator, he worked in film and animation. He lives in London.
More about Gabriel Alborozo...