Start by marking “The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans” as Want to Read:
The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans (The Xenophobe's Guide)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Xenophobia - an irrational fear of foreigners, probably justified, always understandable.

Xenophobe's Guides - an irreverent look at the beliefs and foibles of nations, almost guaranteed to cure Xenophobia.

'Winning is central to the American psyche. As American football coach Vince Lombardi put it, "Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing." Virtually every event in Am

Published September 1st 1995 by Ravette Publishing (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

Jamie
Xenophobe's Guide To The Americans Stephanie Faulk

2.5 ish stars...

This was recommended to me on my hunt for the X... I was told it was funny. I didn't think it was as funny as it could have been. But for those of you attempting the Title alphabet there are a whole bunch of these.

It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I am a big fan of America. I have had some amazing times there and would happily sell a kidney or marry a weirdo for a green card...I have read articles in this vein, about
Ekaterina
I am not an American but happen to live in the US, in the very Midwest, and a lot of the stuff in this book, sadly, is true, but it is hilarious and at some point is exaggerated...but that is what makes it soo good and funny)) Somebody could say: Come on! It can not be so! It is way too much...but then when you live through and around it and see it with your own eyes, you suddenly realize: yep, these are Americans.
I think it is a good book to understand some of the aspects of American life. I a
Michele Bergadano
Come ogni altra nazione, l'America è convinta di essere il Paese migliore del mondo. La differenza è che gli americani ne hanno la prova: in tutto il mondo c'è gente che fa davvero sacrifici enormi pur di venire a vivere negli Stati Uniti, anche a rischio della vita.
C'è bisogno di dire altro?
Emily
Granted, this book is written for Brits, not Americans, but I didn't find it all that funny. Not because I don't like the idea of making fun of Americans, but because the topics in this book seem so overdone already. I got a few chuckles, but most of the time I found myself thinking, "really? you couldn't come up with anything better than that?" It also completely lacked any kind of conclusion, ending abruptly with a diatribe on political correctness. Although this is supposed to be the type of ...more
Maria
Jan 03, 2014 Maria rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maria by: English teacher
Shelves: humor-comedy
It was great fun, I enjoyed it a lot, however, the arguments presented in this little treasure are not to be used in serious arguments.
"For many Americans, fantasising about their own potential is a full-time activity." Ah, ah!
Ok, obviously this is not a faithful depict of the american people, simply because we cannot generalize human beings, we cannot uniformize them, period. Oh, but don't we enjoy doing it!
Cliché jokes, cliché lines, cliché stereotypes.
Heck, we sure do like to make ourselves f
Baris
There may be a grain of truth in the stereotyped phrases of Xenophobe's guide, but I just read this small book with a smile on my face. Quite funny indeed. Thanks to our friends Mia, Martin and dear Sophie we got this one as a present to get ready ourself for the American life, I already feel ready :).
V. Gingerich
Yay, my first complete book in Romanian!

I can laugh at my own country or I'd never have made it through this book. I didn't agree with everything the author said about America but in humorous nonfiction, everything is exaggerated, of course.

"Nu conteaza cat de grea, paine e mai buna in tara ta."
Chris
This is a very clever 86-page book that describes Americans in a nutshell. Our love of money, winning, the desire to be rich and thin when we usually are neither - all told in such a wonderfully straight forward manner it makes it all the funnier.
Ryan
Jun 03, 2008 Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans and people who have to deal with Americans;-)
So well done I was wondering how the author could have come to know and perceive their own culture so well. Then I was shocked to find out that the author is in fact British. Very impressive. And interesting and fun:-)
marcus miller
Humorous and at times thought provoking. It depicts us Americans fairly well, mentioning our collective good qualities but at the same time, describing some of our less desirable habits, ideas or practices.
Yvettee
We bought this book when we were in Europe. It is a guide for tourists traveling to the USA. This book was very entertaining because some of the descriptions of Americans are a bit exagerated.
Dustin Sherman
Best book EVER! I loved this very easy toread, comical but yet very true book. Very informational and eye-opening to Americans that don't see nor understand that we do have a culture.
Hector
I totally found this trip on our vacation in Europe, but Yvettee always claims she found it! I guess we'll never know! hahahahaha
Astrid
"lite beer is lower in calories, lower in alcohol, and (a truly awesome achievement) even lower in flavour than ordinary beer."
Gabriele
Not as wittily written as the others (authors vary) but quite you few true points I can agree to (though my US friends may not)
Megan
Hysterical. Sadly...kinda true. Nevertheless, really amusing. If you want a quick, easy, and funny read then read this.
marcus miller
Humorous, at times thought provoking, it does provide some interesting insights into Americans.
Esther
It's all true for the stereotype American. Thank goodness those aren't the only Americans around.
Katy
Very funny take on American culture from a British perspective.
Frank
Mildly amusing Englishman's view of the USA.
Abcdarian
Lightweight, amusing, nailed it.
Trent Zelazny
Funny, terrifying, and oh so true.
Brittany
Quick, entertaining read.
Raluca Ionescu
Raluca Ionescu marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • Vital Signs
  • Tourist: A New Theory of the Leisure Class
  • A Tender Victory
  • Volevo i pantaloni
  • Reinventing Government: How The Entrepreneurial Spirit Is Transforming The Public Sector
  • Memories of Another Day
  • Тайм-драйв : Как успевать жить и работать
  • Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong
  • Journey to Cubeville
  • Liberty and Freedom: A Visual History of America's Founding Ideals

The Xenophobe's Guide (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies