Start by marking “The Taste of a Man” as Want to Read:
The Taste of a Man

The Taste of a Man

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  256 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
She is a Polish graduate student, finishing her doctorate in New York. He is a Brazilian anthropologist, in the city on a three-month research grant. They meet by chance in the New York Public Library, fall in love, and move into a tiny apartment together. Tereza has a lover waiting for her in Poland, Jose a wife and child in Sao Paulo. It would seem this could only be the ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Taste of a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taste of a Man

karen
okay so i am actually going to write a review for this now, so all you people who voted for the BLURB on the back of the book might want to revisit this and make sure you still like what i'm saying here. because it might get unsavory.

"if love is wanting what's best for the other person - and romance is wanting the other person - then this is the ultimate romance novel. it should be a warning to men: when women lack a sense of self, everyone is in danger." - gloria steinem

okay, i am rereading thi
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Feb 24, 2015 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
This reads like the scripts for Ravenous and May were stiched together by some stony, humorless smartypants. In other words, it's totally insane. I mean, 400 dollars a month for a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan? With a full kitchen? That's just crazy talk.

Romance. Cannibalism. Cleaning products.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Slavenka Drakulić wastes no time writing novels that are widely acceptable. If you ever come across one of her books, make sure you are ready to embrace the unexpected. Her stories are powerful descriptions of the most basic human nature: love, fear, survival and life.

The Taste of a Man is one such story. It’s a story about the impossibility of love and the denial of loss, about the boundaries of sanity and about the things we are ready to do for the person we consider our own. It’s a story abo
Praj
Jun 03, 2012 Praj rated it really liked it
Shelves: sd
“Food was part of our intimacy, our union, as important as touching itself”. The ‘Taste of a Man’ is a dark chilling story incorporating cannibalism as a pathway to amalgamating a sexual union- - two bodies as a whole.

Tereza fell in love with Jose the moment he walked into her life. A passionate stormy affair over food and sex made Tereza want him even more. She devoured his touch, his smell and every bit of the existing passion. Tereza wanted Jose- mind, body and soul. Tereza wanted him to a
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
It’s not so much a matter of, If your plane crashed in the Andes (etc) would you eat the flesh of a human being? and it’s not so much a matter of, Is the Eucharist an instance of cannibalism? and it’s not even so much a matter of what we have in this novel, the question, Can you join his flesh to yours by eating him, become one with him, forever intertwined with your Love? Rather, it is a question, Would you eat Human Flesh for the mere pleasure of it? Because that is the live question vegetaria ...more
Tonkica
Jan 13, 2016 Tonkica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kaze se da je sve dozvoljeno u ljubavi i ratu... Hm, dalo bi se o tome! Gdje se povlaci granica normalnoga? Da li je ono sto mi osjecamo ljubav? Ja sa svojom zadovoljna! ;)
Tonkica
Sep 28, 2015 Tonkica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
orsodimondo
L'IMPULSO A INCORPORARE L'OGGETTO DEL DESIDERIO
Tra 'L'impero dei sensi' e 'Hiroshima mon amour', ma soprattutto prossimo a ''Trouble Every Day', più abbondante speziatura di episodi di cronaca macabra, Drakulić racconta l'incontro di due corpi umani in una New York nuova per entrambi.

Sottolinea il loro essere stranieri alla città e stranieri l'un l'altro, polacca lei e brasiliano lui, comunicano col loro inglese imperfetto ed estraneo, terzo, come se fossero su un territorio neutro.

Ma l'unione
Malcolm
Slavenka Drakulić (probably better known as a journalist than novelist) writes sparse and intense novels, often with a profound sense of loss or desperation and incompleteness; her feminism is one of women left partial by the world in which they try to live fully. In this the third of her novels I have read, she recounts a tale of a deeply felt and more than slightly desperate love affair between Tereza, a Polish graduate student in New York for a semester working on metaphysical poets, and José ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Sep 09, 2012 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: barefoot.julie
Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. It is about a relationship between Tereza, a Polish graduate student, and José, a Brazilian anthropolgist, who meet in the New York Public Library. (Bonus points for library-based romance!) His research examines the belief of cannibalism as a sacrament, and the novel is written from her perspective, during a span of four days where she is deep-cleaning her apartment and reflecting on her relationship with José, which has come to a close.

The first
Alex
Oct 07, 2015 Alex marked it as to-read
Smut! And yet, perfectly intelligent friends like Hesper and El really like it!
Patrick
Aug 19, 2012 Patrick rated it it was ok
Robert Gustavo
Feb 09, 2016 Robert Gustavo rated it really liked it
I read this a long, long time ago, and I suspect it might be the type of book that does not read as well as you get older. It was a beautifully written -- somewhat too polished, in fact -- story of a woman dismembering the corpse of her lover, occasionally snacking on it, and finding ways to dispose of the various parts.

I have quite fond memories of this book, and heartily recommend it to anyone who does not roll their eyes at the basic premise.

Lori
Aug 27, 2007 Lori rated it did not like it
this is one creepy, disturbing book. found it at library in fiction section while looking for something else...the orange Penguin spine made me pull it. the "fatal attraction" comparison prompted me to check it out...i enjoy a good "thriller" every now & again but i was completely unprepared for the gross descriptive closing to this book. the first half was okay...the characters were so crazy that it was kind of entertaining to watch their development. but the ending...ugghh. it actually mad ...more
Laurel Deloria
Feb 01, 2016 Laurel Deloria rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotica

Ridiculously Simplified Synopsisedit
Write a ridiculously simplified synopsis.
Summaryedit
Write a summary of the plot or a synopsis of this book.
Characters/Peopleedit
List the characters or important people from this book.
Popular Covers

Choose your book 19s cover
Quotesedit
List your favorite quotations from this book.
Setting & Locationsedit
List the places mentioned in this book.
Organizationsedit
List the groups and organizations mentioned in this book.
First Sentenceedit
Add the first sentence of th
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The narrative is absolutely perfect. Anyone who has ever been deep deep into the rabbit hole of obsessive love will appreciate the lengths the narrator goes to keep her lover near. The only reason I don't give this five stars, is because the writing is not great. While it starts of amazing, the tone just floats along at an even pace. No buildup. I feel like the story could have been so much better had the author done one or two last revisions/restructuring edits.
Madeline
Nov 28, 2015 Madeline rated it it was amazing
So, basically, this is a very compelling book and everyone should read it. I mean, it does what it says on the tin, really?

30 rock graduate students are the worst
Natalie
'You must sit down,' says Love, 'and taste my meat.'
So I did sit and eat.

Veka Veks
Mar 22, 2015 Veka Veks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
When I read other rewiews made me angry.To call this masterpiece creepy, and disturbing is stupid. It's just one side opinion of very prejudiced people.Don't belive them!!!
Story is bit disturbing but it was told perfectly.I can tell you how book ends but that woudn't spoil reading of this book.
Drakulic has wonderful way of writting ,so lyrical and she draws her reader in to story so you feel emocional when you read what happens to charachters. I read few other books by Slavenka Drakulic so I'm h
Eszter
Apr 26, 2010 Eszter rated it it was ok
not for the weak of heart. definitely not for the weak of stomach. not to be read in public. not to be read while eating.

drakulic's fiction is gorgeous and engulfing and sensual and vastly preferable to her often disjointed and self-aggrandizing works of nonfiction. and yet, beautiful though it was, i couldn't help being completely disturbed by this creepy-ass book.

i admire her riveting description of tereza's descent into madness, but then...she went too far. disconnect from society, desperate
Roberto González
"Antes de conocerlo no sabía nada del amor verdadero, aquel en el que todo es posible y todo está permitido, incluso la muerte. El amor otorga aun o el poder absoluto sobre otro ser humano."

Encontrarnos en otros para vivir con uno mismo, vivir de otros para creer que al fin poseemos, poseer como un deseo infinito que jamás será consumido; de alguna forma todos cometemos acto de canibalismo, enamorarse invita a consumir y consumirse.

"...Pero el dolor se evaporará con el tiempo, exactamente igual
Hesper
Oct 06, 2015 Hesper rated it it was amazing
This one sat on my shelf forever, mainly because someone, and I can't remember who, said it was like art house Fatal Attraction. I guess I see the logic of that statement, but it is a misleading and limited comparison.

Where the movie employed cheap tactics to deliver matinee-priced thrills, this novel uses the sometimes impenetrable logic of emotion to deliver a complex and disturbing story about obsession. What Slavenka Drakulic accomplishes here is psychological archeology--digging through the
Mary
Jan 04, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
A beautifully disturbing book. At times the story would turn my stomach but I couldn't put the book down. Worth the read.
Andrew
Feb 16, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: balkan
I really admired this book for it's ability to not only mine small details for their greater meaning, but also captured the bigger events of the novel with perfect emotion.

Sorry, I don't pay much attention to editions, but my copy claims that Drakulić writes is the style of Camus and Beckett. Personally, I don't think that's remotely the case. There is a big difference between the absurdist writers and Drakulić's style and philosophy, with the exception that all capture some sense of the terrori
Carol Leibiger
Apr 29, 2015 Carol Leibiger rated it it was amazing
This book is a chilling view into the mind of a psychotic--or is she? The author demonstrates how insanity--or evil--has its own internal consistency.
René
Nov 04, 2015 René rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pero el dolor se evaporará con el tiempo, exactamente igual que el olor.
Steve Kettmann
Apr 13, 2010 Steve Kettmann rated it liked it
I love this book, because I love basically anything Drakulic wants to put down on the page, but it did creak a little bit at times for me. I had the sense of it being something she had to get out of the way to get on to writing other books. I'm not even going to talk about the plot, except to say it might not be for everyone! It all depends on how literally you read it, of course.
Serena Janes
Jun 04, 2013 Serena Janes rated it liked it
I was in Croatia and wanted to read a contemporary Croatian writer so I chose this novel. I was pretty disappointed to find it was set in New York, with Polish and Brazilian characters. The story was plausible, I suppose, but left me feeling uncomfortable and dissatisfied with the conclusion. The story didn't pull me in deeply enough to feel the protagonist's motivation.
John
Mar 01, 2007 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A sensory loaded (but not schlocky) narrative that follows one woman and one man wrapped up in a very sexual affair that falls apart. Tango In Paris meets 9 1/2 Weeks meets Before Sunrise. South American man and Eastern European woman...roll me in honey, throw me in the middle and call me heaven bound. I'm there.
Noha Sallam
May 07, 2014 Noha Sallam rated it liked it
She could not stand the idea of not being with him, so she killed him, and ate parts of his body (his fingers) to keep always inside her. What an idea!

I enjoyed reading it however, and could relate with that kind of unexplained attraction that is sometimes fatal.
  • The Suitors
  • Elijahova stolica
  • Chemistry
  • Like Being Killed
  • The End: A Dusty Futuretake (Dusty, #1.25)
  • The Sea Came in at Midnight
  • The Death of the Little Match Girl
  • Gaijin
  • Adios, Cowboy
  • Simple Passion
Slavenka Drakulić (1949) is a noted Croatian writer and publicist, whose books have been translated into many languages. Her main interests include the political and ideological situation in post-communist countries, war crimes, nationalism, feminist issues, illness, female body and old age.

In her fiction Drakulić has touched on a variety of topics, such as dealing with illness and fear of death
More about Slavenka Drakulić...

“What do people think of when they talk about their lives? Do they really see them as an integral whole, as a chronological sequence of events; as something logical, purposeful, completed? What moments do they remember, and how do they remember them? As words? As a series of images and sounds? My life crumbles into a series of pictures, unconnected scenes which comes to mind only occassionally and at random. But there are key events, the acts of chance or fate, which later enable me to construct a logical whole of my life. One such moment was meeting Jose. The other was my decision to see our love through to the very end.” 9 likes