The Taste of a Man

The Taste of a Man

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  29 reviews
She is a Polish graduate student, finishing her doctorate in New York. He is a Brazilian anthropologist, in the city on a three-month research grant. They meet by chance in the New York Public Library, fall in love, and move into a tiny apartment together. Tereza has a lover waiting for her in Poland, Jose a wife and child in Sao Paulo. It would seem this could only be the...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Taste of a Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taste of a Man

karen
okay so i am actually going to write a review for this now, so all you people who voted for the BLURB on the back of the book might want to revisit this and make sure you still like what i'm saying here. because it might get unsavory.

"if love is wanting what's best for the other person - and romance is wanting the other person - then this is the ultimate romance novel. it should be a warning to men: when women lack a sense of self, everyone is in danger." - gloria steinem

okay, i am rereading thi...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Slavenka Drakulić wastes no time writing novels that are widely acceptable. If you ever come across one of her books, make sure you are ready to embrace the unexpected. Her stories are powerful descriptions of the most basic human nature: love, fear, survival and life.

The Taste of a Man is one such story. It’s a story about the impossibility of love and the denial of loss, about the boundaries of sanity and about the things we are ready to do for the person we consider our own. It’s a story abo...more
Praj
Jun 03, 2012 Praj rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sd
“Food was part of our intimacy, our union, as important as touching itself”. The ‘Taste of a Man’ is a dark chilling story incorporating cannibalism as a pathway to amalgamating a sexual union- - two bodies as a whole.

Tereza fell in love with Jose the moment he walked into her life. A passionate stormy affair over food and sex made Tereza want him even more. She devoured his touch, his smell and every bit of the existing passion. Tereza wanted Jose- mind, body and soul. Tereza wanted him to an...more
Malcolm
Slavenka Drakulić (probably better known as a journalist than novelist) writes sparse and intense novels, often with a profound sense of loss or desperation and incompleteness; her feminism is one of women left partial by the world in which they try to live fully. In this the third of her novels I have read, she recounts a tale of a deeply felt and more than slightly desperate love affair between Tereza, a Polish graduate student in New York for a semester working on metaphysical poets, and José...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down. It is about a relationship between Tereza, a Polish graduate student, and José, a Brazilian anthropolgist, who meet in the New York Public Library. (Bonus points for library-based romance!) His research examines the belief of cannibalism as a sacrament, and the novel is written from her perspective, during a span of four days where she is deep-cleaning her apartment and reflecting on her relationship with José, which has come to a close.

The first...more
Patrick
Lori
this is one creepy, disturbing book. found it at library in fiction section while looking for something else...the orange Penguin spine made me pull it. the "fatal attraction" comparison prompted me to check it out...i enjoy a good "thriller" every now & again but i was completely unprepared for the gross descriptive closing to this book. the first half was okay...the characters were so crazy that it was kind of entertaining to watch their development. but the ending...ugghh. it actually mad...more
Stephanie
The narrative is absolutely perfect. Anyone who has ever been deep deep into the rabbit hole of obsessive love will appreciate the lengths the narrator goes to keep her lover near. The only reason I don't give this five stars, is because the writing is not great. While it starts of amazing, the tone just floats along at an even pace. No buildup. I feel like the story could have been so much better had the author done one or two last revisions/restructuring edits.
Natalie
'You must sit down,' says Love, 'and taste my meat.'
So I did sit and eat.

orsodimondo
L'IMPULSO A INCORPORARE L'OGGETTO DEL DESIDERIO
Tra 'L'impero dei sensi' e 'Hiroshima mon amour', più abbondante speziatura di episodi di cronaca macabra, Drakulić racconta l'incontro di due corpi umani in una New York nuova per entrambi.
Sottolinea il loro essere stranieri alla città e stranieri l'un l'altro, polacca lei e brasiliano lui, comunicano col loro inglese imperfetto ed estraneo, terzo, come se fossero su un territorio neutro.
Ma l'unione dei corpi, della carne funziona a meraviglia an...more
Veka Vex
When I read other rewiews made me angry.To call this masterpiece creepy, and disturbing is stupid. It's just one side opinion of very prejudiced people.Don't belive them!!!
Story is bit disturbing but it was told perfectly.I can tell you how book ends but that woudn't spoil reading of this book.
Drakulic has wonderful way of writting ,so lyrical and she draws her reader in to story so you feel emocional when you read what happens to charachters. I read few other books by Slavenka Drakulic so I'm h...more
Eszter
not for the weak of heart. definitely not for the weak of stomach. not to be read in public. not to be read while eating.

drakulic's fiction is gorgeous and engulfing and sensual and vastly preferable to her often disjointed and self-aggrandizing works of nonfiction. and yet, beautiful though it was, i couldn't help being completely disturbed by this creepy-ass book.

i admire her riveting description of tereza's descent into madness, but then...she went too far. disconnect from society, desperate...more
Simon
Few years back I have watched a Korean horror movie. It haunted me for a long time. Director of the film was so intelligent that he didn't show even a single drop of blood or scary frames or zombie sound. Instead of creating the effect visually on screen; he used the spectator to create the fear and horror for himself.

Slavenka Drakulić details about cannibalism is bit extensive which result nothing but revulsion. Author almost spoiled the power packed story in the end. It would have been more g...more
Hesper
This one sat on my shelf forever, mainly because someone, and I can't remember who, said it was like art house Fatal Attraction. I guess I see the logic of that statement, but it is a misleading and limited comparison.

Where the movie employed cheap tactics to deliver matinee-priced thrills, this novel uses the sometimes impenetrable logic of emotion to deliver a complex and disturbing story about obsession. What Slavenka Drakulic accomplishes here is psychological archeology--digging through the...more
Andrew
I really admired this book for it's ability to not only mine small details for their greater meaning, but also captured the bigger events of the novel with perfect emotion.

Sorry, I don't pay much attention to editions, but my copy claims that Drakulić writes is the style of Camus and Beckett. Personally, I don't think that's remotely the case. There is a big difference between the absurdist writers and Drakulić's style and philosophy, with the exception that all capture some sense of the terrori...more
Steve Kettmann
I love this book, because I love basically anything Drakulic wants to put down on the page, but it did creak a little bit at times for me. I had the sense of it being something she had to get out of the way to get on to writing other books. I'm not even going to talk about the plot, except to say it might not be for everyone! It all depends on how literally you read it, of course.
Serena Janes
I was in Croatia and wanted to read a contemporary Croatian writer so I chose this novel. I was pretty disappointed to find it was set in New York, with Polish and Brazilian characters. The story was plausible, I suppose, but left me feeling uncomfortable and dissatisfied with the conclusion. The story didn't pull me in deeply enough to feel the protagonist's motivation.
John
A sensory loaded (but not schlocky) narrative that follows one woman and one man wrapped up in a very sexual affair that falls apart. Tango In Paris meets 9 1/2 Weeks meets Before Sunrise. South American man and Eastern European woman...roll me in honey, throw me in the middle and call me heaven bound. I'm there.
Noha Sallam
She could not stand the idea of not being with him, so she killed him, and ate parts of his body (his fingers) to keep always inside her. What an idea!

I enjoyed reading it however, and could relate with that kind of unexplained attraction that is sometimes fatal.
Mar
Wicked.-
The first part was perfect I really enjoyed the first half ot he book, but in some point it made a turn and it was so sick, and wicked, IT was hard to read some parts.
But still a very good book, perfectely written, of one crazy story.
pixie-stix
I had to give this 4 stars because I can't get this story out of my head. It is strange and kind of haunting.
DoctorM
Eerie, claustrophobic, dreamlike, scary, beautiful account of obsession and obsessive desire.
Julie
Freaky. Seriously freaky. If you love someone, eat them...
Amy Boyd
so amazing. dark. romantic. horrifying. fascinating.
Zrinka
I just love the way she writes. An interesting book
Angenandy
Very interesting idea for a novel.
Kate Neville
Hated it, but finished it.
barefoot.julie
  • Baba Yaga Laid an Egg
  • The Highest Stakes of All
  • Making Haste from Babylon: The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World
  • Professor Martens' Departure
  • Three Complete Novels: Howards End, A Room with a View, Where Angels Fear to Tread
Slavenka Drakulić (1949) is a noted Croatian writer and publicist, whose books have been translated into many languages. Her main interests include the political and ideological situation in post-communist countries, war crimes, nationalism, feminist issues, illness, female body and old age.

In her fiction Drakulić has touched on a variety of topics, such as dealing with illness and fear of death...more
More about Slavenka Drakulić...
How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed Cafe Europa: Life After Communism S. (A Novel About the Balkans) Frida's Bed They Would Never Hurt a Fly: War Criminals on Trial in The Hague

“What do people think of when they talk about their lives? Do they really see them as an integral whole, as a chronological sequence of events; as something logical, purposeful, completed? What moments do they remember, and how do they remember them? As words? As a series of images and sounds? My life crumbles into a series of pictures, unconnected scenes which comes to mind only occassionally and at random. But there are key events, the acts of chance or fate, which later enable me to construct a logical whole of my life. One such moment was meeting Jose. The other was my decision to see our love through to the very end.” 6 likes