We're Off to Find the Witch's House

We're Off to Find the Witch's House

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  20 reviews
On Halloween night, four children set off on a rhyming read-aloud romp through their neighborhood to find a witch's house and on the way encounter a host of silly, spooky characters. Full color.
Published August 18th 2005 by Dutton Juvenile

Colleen
This book was written by my kindergarten teacher. He was the best teacher I have ever had. He made learning fun and always came up with the most creative ways to get us interested in what he was teaching. I now have a daughter of my own and am looking forward to sharing this book with her this Halloween. Thank you for such wonderful memories Mr. Krieb.
Debbie
It's October and of course that means Halloween is just around the corner. I thought it would be great to get my daughter introduced to the idea of Halloween by reading some Halloween themed books. I don't think last year she really understood what Halloween was so maybe it will make more sense to her this year.

This was our first book and it's about a group of children who set out on a journey to find the witch's house and all the ghouls they encounter along the way. Will they be brave enough to...more
Kristen
I picked up this book with the kindergarten class I am working with in mind. The repetition and nature of the book suggests this kind of audience to me. We're Off to Find the Witch's House would be a great classroom Read Aloud. The book shows a group of small children out on Halloween night who run into various scary beings (ghost, Frankenstien, skeleton...) on their way to the witch's house. Readers will be able to see that the "monsters" are actually people in disguise. When they finally make...more
Jackie
Which House? The Witch's House: that is where we are headed! A brave group (sort-of) of pirates, sheriffs, wizards, and super heroes, are trick-or-treating all the way to the witch's house. Will they be brave enough to ring the doorbell? You bet! And, they are most delighted and pleasantly surprised to find out who answers the door...

Used for "Fall for Pumpkins" Storytime-October, 2009.
Josiah
You won't necessarily find a lot of unexpected or wholly unique material in this debut picture book from the esoterically named "Mr. Krieb", but We're Off to Find the Witch's House is a solid Halloween picture book that does a good job for its target age group. The illustrations form the core of the story, in my opinion.
I would give it one and a half stars.
Bethann
I absolutely love this book. Whenever I am at work and someone asks me to go get a book to read, I come back with this one often. The three year olds get so excited! They get scared at the scary parts, excited at the questions and at the very end! It gets them involved in reading the story. Also, it is focused around one of the favorite holidays!
Jen
This is a cute book that takes the characters through the town on Halloween night to try and find the witch's house. Can they make it to the witch's house without getting too scared? Great read aloud to younger students and they liked seeing all the different costumes on the characters throughout the book.
Connie
A group of children set out to rhythmicly, rhymingly find the witch's house.

There's a lot of good descriptive words here, so it's great for preschoolers, builds vocabulary and all that. What I really like, though, is the meter - it's really bouncy in all the right spots.
Kris at Book Wishes
Any age will love this book, reminds me of going on a bear hunt book, but with witch's, vamps, frankenstein and such for children. My kids have read We're Off to Find The Witch's House again and again never getting bored!!!
Heather
17 Months - Picked this one up while grocery shopping and what a score! We LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. Great illustrations and the story is fun and rhymes. Highly recommend this one!
Paula
Cute illustrations accompany this quest to find the witch's house. It could be a little scary initially but in the end it turns out the scary parts are all familiar.
Powers Family
Cute story with a fun play on words. Also a great opportunity to talk about how all the scary characters are just kids dressed up in costumes.
Brittany
Some of the word combinations in this book were fun sounding when read aloud, but overall this book was just okay.
Teri
Heard this at the library; would like to try it next Halloween as a sing-along story to "We're going on a bear hunt".
JaNeal
The meter, repetition, and sounds of this book make it an absolutely delightful read aloud.
Lori
Our children loved the 'scary' suspense and the costumes of this Halloween read.
Shawn Hartley
My kids absolutely love this book (ages 5 and 3 at the time of this review).
Erica
I love the rhythm of this book. Very cute.
Ashley
Very fun Halloween read
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Posh Teacher
Posh Teacher marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Bee
Bee added it
May 24, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Mandy
Mandy added it
Mar 23, 2014
Kristen Ipson
Kristen Ipson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014