Start by marking “Mother, Mother, I Want Another” as Want to Read:
Mother, Mother, I Want Another

Mother, Mother, I Want Another

Just as Mrs. Mouse kisses baby mouse goodnight, he cries, “Mother, Mother, I want another!” His concerned mama rushes off to invite other mothers—Mrs. Duck, Mrs. Frog, Mrs. Pig, and Mrs. Donkey—to help put her son to bed. But baby mouse doesn’t want another mother. Will Mrs. Mouse discover what her son really wants?

A delightful comedy of errors perfect for Mother’s Day, Mo
Published September 11th 2007 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Mother, Mother, I Want Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother, Mother, I Want Another

Michael Fitzgerald
Feb 14, 2016 Michael Fitzgerald rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty much every change in the illustrations is for the worse, when compared to the original (1978) edition. There is a poor attempt to adjust the sizes of the animals in comparison to the mice so they are more accurate - never mind that they still wear clothes, talk, use utensils, etc. We need to have the size realistic... So the only animal that actually gets to be in the same room with baby mouse is the frog mother. It's just stupid.

In the realm of "redefining the family," note how the mous
babyhippoface
When Little Mouse responds to his mother’s good-night kiss with, “I want another, Mother,” she mistakenly believes he wants a different mother and sets out to find one. This tale, charming if a little repetetive, was originally published in 1978, and here is given new life by Oklahoma artist Jon Goodell. His winsome oil-on-canvas illustrations feature a pleasant interplay of light and dark that lends a cozy feel to the bedtime tale. Parents who share this story should also be prepared to share o ...more
Jackie
Mother, Mother, I Want Another brings some humor to bedtime, as baby mouse cries for another...but, another WHAT ?. Mrs. Mouse mistakenly believes baby mouse wants another mother. Baby mouse wants what all little children want...another kiss goodnight.

This picture book sneakily introduces just how important those pesky punctuation marks can be! Beautiful, colorful illustrations capture animal facial expressions with delightful joy.

Use for 11/2009 Family Jammie Storytime.
Guadalupe Ramirez
I gave this book three stars because I thought it was a little strange that Mrs. Mouse thought that baby mouse wanted another mother. However, this book seems more appropriate for young children. It has repetition, some rhyming, and I think kids would enjoy the different sounds the animals make. Children can even participate in the story by making the different animals sounds.
I wasn't sure about this book when I first read it to myself, but it was a hit at storytime with both parents and kids.
Bridget Bingham
Mar 19, 2017 Bridget Bingham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book. A funny mistake by Mother.
Lindsay
Feb 15, 2017 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
C loves this book
Lesley Dahlseng
Feb 14, 2014 Lesley Dahlseng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the bedtime ritual comes to a close, Mrs. Mouse gives her son a bedtime kiss. Everything has gone smoothly thus far, until Mrs. Mouse turns to leave the room. Baby mouse then begins to cry: "I want another, Mother!" Desperate to appease baby mouse's cries, Mrs. Mouse runs to fetch Mrs. Duck who attempts to calm baby mouse with a very ducky lullaby. When this doesn't work, they call on Mrs. Frog. After five mothers fail at consoling him, baby finally explains: "No more mothers! . . . I want an ...more
Deidra
Dec 01, 2007 Deidra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Written by Maria Polushkin, illustrated by Jon Goodell. Published by Alfred A. Knopf, text copyright 1978, illustrations copyright 2005.

Grade level: 2nd

As Mrs. Mouse is putting her baby to sleep one night, she gives him a kiss. Just then he says "Mother, mother, I want another, Mother!" Poor Mrs. Mouse mistakes her son and thinks he wants a new mother. So Mrs. Mouse goes on her way to find him a new mother and brings him all sorts of moms of different kinds of animals. But each time Mrs. Mouse
Robin
May 01, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I've worked in libraries for 11 years as a professional and for three years prior to that while in library school, and I spent MANY hours reading to my three sons (now grown) it's so fun when I come across a book that I recall reading with my boys. This is one of them. The very simple story about a baby mouse getting ready for sleep who says "I want another, Mother" after his mother kisses him goodnight. She misinterprets it to mean that he wants another MOTHER but, in reality, he wants another ...more
Dolly
May 28, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an adorable little story about a little mouse who can't seem to communicate with his mom. We all have those moments, and I suppose this book is as much for parents as it is for children, encouraging us to truly listen to one another. The illustrations are so cute and the story is sweet, perfect for bedtime. Our girls are just about at the age where this story is too young for them, too 'babyish,' but we enjoyed reading this book together anyway. (And I had fun giving them lots of kisses! ...more
Marisa
Mar 13, 2009 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from my childhood. It's a great way to introduce the fun/confusion that you can create with our language. The baby mouse keeps saying "mother, mother, I want another" and his poor mother tries to find her baby various new "mothers". He finally finishes by adding that what he really wants is "another kiss" to which he receives kisses from everyone before going to bed. How cute is that for a small kid!
Kim
Mar 14, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
New favorite of my kids since the first read after it came home from the library. This has changed the way the boys ask for kisses and given us all a little inside joke. I will be checking this one out again and again and looking for it at my book swap.

Its short and simple, a bit silly (why would the mommy interpret the boys words that way), but really just a cute and fun book.

(My boys are 2 and 4.)
Holly
May 20, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite children's books. In fifth grade I chose this book to perform in the young storytellers club. Each week we went to younger grades and recited a story by memory. It is a fun book and was always well received. It has since been published with new illustrations, but is still great. We checked it out from the library this week and Elanor has wanted to read it every night.
Sam Grace
The paintings are good, but not as unique as some. The story is very sweet (when her baby asks "may I have another mother?" she goes trying to find him other mothers only to find that what he really wanted was another kiss) but slightly annoys me just because the child has to throw a tantrum before he's understood and the mother is obviously jumping to spoil him.
Jen Lindberg
Sep 30, 2010 Jen Lindberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother found this book when I was in grade school...it made me giggle. I found it again a few years ago and read it to Emily and Aubrey. We all giggled. It is a fun story about how a simple misunderstanding can lead to much confusion. And a little bit about what great lengths a mother will go to because she loves her child.
The Brothers
Little mousie is being put to bed by his mother, but after her good-night kiss he declares that he wants "another mother!" His mother scrambles around among the other animals trying to get him the other mother that he has requested. In the end, it was another kiss, not another mother that the little mousie wanted.

Cute, almost too much so, illustrations.
June
Nov 17, 2011 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
A silly story about a mouse who asks his mother for another. Well received in story time. 5/2/11

Used in Preschool Films and Stories and had a number of children trying to figure out how someone could have more than 4 mothers. Used in PJ Storytime and Story Time and it had some parents laughing.
Ashley Correll
Feb 01, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so adorable! Its about this little mouse getting ready to go to bed and his mother gives him a kiss goodnight. After the kiss, the little mouse says, "mother, mother, I want another!" Mrs. Mouse takes this the wrong way and goes all over to try to find little mouse another mother. In the end, little mouse meant "another kiss" not "another mother". Very CUTE!
Edna
Baby wants another - another what? Another mother? Mother mouse searches for her community moms to come be a 2nd mom and they all try, but what is it that baby mouse really wants? Wonderfully illustrated and wonderfully cute.
Natalie Pietro
Feb 26, 2013 Natalie Pietro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nicos-bookshelf
This book is one of my sons favorite books. He loves the pictures. He points at all the animals. He loves the little rhymes. This is going to be one of those books we read over and over again. Such a cute story.
Christy
A cute story about a little mouse that doesnt want to go to bed, so he asks for another mother. His mother calls on all her friends to help the little mouse get settled in bed. Nothing seems to work, so the little mouse asks for a kiss, which he receives from all the mothers includung his own.
Liesel
Apr 09, 2014 Liesel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool
Age range: 1-5
Literacy skill: Phonological awareness

I loved this book when I was young! The repeating phrase: "Mother, mother, I want another" allows for participation. And, children will love to predict the ending. What will happen next?
Chantel
Jul 03, 2008 Chantel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the perfect before-bed story. Mother mouse misunderstands baby mouse's request at bedtime. She scrambles to find another mother to give baby mouse a kiss. The illustrations are sweet and heartwarming. This was one of my gift books for the year.
Robyn
May 08, 2012 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still have my original copy of this in my nightstand and read it to my kids! Needless to say its falling apart a little! I think it was published in the late 60's. I love having my childhood books!
Veronica
Jul 27, 2010 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Great story about misunderstanding a bedtime request!! Lots of animals and sing-song passages. Used on 7/27/2010 for Bedtime stories. Theme: Night. Followed by "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" on CD and vocally with animals from the book portrayed in song.
Jamie Hatch
Cute, Cute, Cute! I could read this one again and again! Mother, Mother, I want another! Little mouse wants another good night kiss, but his mother misinterprets his request to mean that he wants a another, different mother.
Azriana Johnson
Feb 27, 2013 Azriana Johnson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
This is a story about a bedtime misunderstanding. I personally did not like the book. The mother gives a goodnight kiss and her son asks for another but instead of giving another kiss, the mother gives him everything but a kiss until the end.
Apr 17, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cutest little book! We loved this one - it is funny and sweet!
Trish
Jun 18, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: je, 2013
This is a very cute book. It is a fun book to read out loud!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • Just Like Daddy
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • Mommies Say Shhh!
  • Stuck in the Mud
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • Sylvie
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
__ |a Phone call to Bradbury Press, 2/13/85 |b (Maria Robbins and Maria Polushkin is the same person; she might continue to write under both names)

__ |a Phone call to Alfred A. Knopf, 3/16/2004 |b Author has married and will be using the name Maria Polushkin Robbins on all her works.

LC control no.
More about Maria Polushkin Robbins...