Start by marking “Mother, Mother, I Want Another” as Want to Read:
Mother, Mother, I Want Another
Preview

Mother, Mother, I Want Another

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Just as Mrs. Mouse kisses baby mouse goodnight, he cries, “Mother, Mother, I want another!” His concerned mama rushes off to invite other mothers—Mrs. Duck, Mrs. Frog, Mrs. Pig, and Mrs. Donkey—to help put her son to bed. But baby mouse doesn’t want another mother. Will Mrs. Mouse discover what her son really wants?

A delightful comedy of errors perfect for Mother’s Day, Mo
Published September 11th 2007 by Dragonfly Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Mother, Mother, I Want Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother, Mother, I Want Another

babyhippoface
When Little Mouse responds to his mother’s good-night kiss with, “I want another, Mother,” she mistakenly believes he wants a different mother and sets out to find one. This tale, charming if a little repetetive, was originally published in 1978, and here is given new life by Oklahoma artist Jon Goodell. His winsome oil-on-canvas illustrations feature a pleasant interplay of light and dark that lends a cozy feel to the bedtime tale. Parents who share this story should also be prepared to share o ...more
Jackie
Mother, Mother, I Want Another brings some humor to bedtime, as baby mouse cries for another...but, another WHAT ?. Mrs. Mouse mistakenly believes baby mouse wants another mother. Baby mouse wants what all little children want...another kiss goodnight.

This picture book sneakily introduces just how important those pesky punctuation marks can be! Beautiful, colorful illustrations capture animal facial expressions with delightful joy.

Use for 11/2009 Family Jammie Storytime.
Lesley Dahlseng
As the bedtime ritual comes to a close, Mrs. Mouse gives her son a bedtime kiss. Everything has gone smoothly thus far, until Mrs. Mouse turns to leave the room. Baby mouse then begins to cry: "I want another, Mother!" Desperate to appease baby mouse's cries, Mrs. Mouse runs to fetch Mrs. Duck who attempts to calm baby mouse with a very ducky lullaby. When this doesn't work, they call on Mrs. Frog. After five mothers fail at consoling him, baby finally explains: "No more mothers! . . . I want an ...more
Guadalupe Ramirez
I gave this book three stars because I thought it was a little strange that Mrs. Mouse thought that baby mouse wanted another mother. However, this book seems more appropriate for young children. It has repetition, some rhyming, and I think kids would enjoy the different sounds the animals make. Children can even participate in the story by making the different animals sounds.
Deidra
Written by Maria Polushkin, illustrated by Jon Goodell. Published by Alfred A. Knopf, text copyright 1978, illustrations copyright 2005.

Grade level: 2nd

As Mrs. Mouse is putting her baby to sleep one night, she gives him a kiss. Just then he says "Mother, mother, I want another, Mother!" Poor Mrs. Mouse mistakes her son and thinks he wants a new mother. So Mrs. Mouse goes on her way to find him a new mother and brings him all sorts of moms of different kinds of animals. But each time Mrs. Mouse
Robin
I've worked in libraries for 11 years as a professional and for three years prior to that while in library school, and I spent MANY hours reading to my three sons (now grown) it's so fun when I come across a book that I recall reading with my boys. This is one of them. The very simple story about a baby mouse getting ready for sleep who says "I want another, Mother" after his mother kisses him goodnight. She misinterprets it to mean that he wants another MOTHER but, in reality, he wants another ...more
Dolly
May 28, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an adorable little story about a little mouse who can't seem to communicate with his mom. We all have those moments, and I suppose this book is as much for parents as it is for children, encouraging us to truly listen to one another. The illustrations are so cute and the story is sweet, perfect for bedtime. Our girls are just about at the age where this story is too young for them, too 'babyish,' but we enjoyed reading this book together anyway. (And I had fun giving them lots of kisses! ...more
Chris
I have fond memories of this book. Doesn't quite live up to the nostalgia, but it's a good one.
Marisa
Another great book from my childhood. It's a great way to introduce the fun/confusion that you can create with our language. The baby mouse keeps saying "mother, mother, I want another" and his poor mother tries to find her baby various new "mothers". He finally finishes by adding that wahat he really wants is "another kiss" to which he receives kisses from everyone before going to bed. How cute is that for a small kid!
Kim
New favorite of my kids since the first read after it came home from the library. This has changed the way the boys ask for kisses and given us all a little inside joke. I will be checking this one out again and again and looking for it at my book swap.

Its short and simple, a bit silly (why would the mommy interpret the boys words that way), but really just a cute and fun book.

(My boys are 2 and 4.)
Holly
One of my favorite children's books. In fifth grade I chose this book to perform in the young storytellers club. Each week we went to younger grades and recited a story by memory. It is a fun book and was always well received. It has since been published with new illustrations, but is still great. We checked it out from the library this week and Elanor has wanted to read it every night.
Ashley Correll
This book is so adorable! Its about this little mouse getting ready to go to bed and his mother gives him a kiss goodnight. After the kiss, the little mouse says, "mother, mother, I want another!" Mrs. Mouse takes this the wrong way and goes all over to try to find little mouse another mother. In the end, little mouse meant "another kiss" not "another mother". Very CUTE!
Sam Grace
The paintings are good, but not as unique as some. The story is very sweet (when her baby asks "may I have another mother?" she goes trying to find him other mothers only to find that what he really wanted was another kiss) but slightly annoys me just because the child has to throw a tantrum before he's understood and the mother is obviously jumping to spoil him.
Jen Lindberg
My mother found this book when I was in grade school...it made me giggle. I found it again a few years ago and read it to Emily and Aubrey. We all giggled. It is a fun story about how a simple misunderstanding can lead to much confusion. And a little bit about what great lengths a mother will go to because she loves her child.
June
May 08, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
A silly story about a mouse who asks his mother for another. Well received in story time. 5/2/11

Used in Preschool Films and Stories and had a number of children trying to figure out how someone could have more than 4 mothers. Used in PJ Storytime and Story Time and it had some parents laughing.
Christy
A cute story about a little mouse that doesnt want to go to bed, so he asks for another mother. His mother calls on all her friends to help the little mouse get settled in bed. Nothing seems to work, so the little mouse asks for a kiss, which he receives from all the mothers includung his own.
Crossingbird
Age range: 1-5
Literacy skill: Phonological awareness

I loved this book when I was young! The repeating phrase: "Mother, mother, I want another" allows for participation. And, children will love to predict the ending. What will happen next?
Chantel
This is the perfect before-bed story. Mother mouse misunderstands baby mouse's request at bedtime. She scrambles to find another mother to give baby mouse a kiss. The illustrations are sweet and heartwarming. This was one of my gift books for the year.
Veronica
Great story about misunderstanding a bedtime request!! Lots of animals and sing-song passages. Used on 7/27/2010 for Bedtime stories. Theme: Night. Followed by "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" on CD and vocally with animals from the book portrayed in song.
Azriana Johnson
This is a story about a bedtime misunderstanding. I personally did not like the book. The mother gives a goodnight kiss and her son asks for another but instead of giving another kiss, the mother gives him everything but a kiss until the end.
Jamie Hatch
Cute, Cute, Cute! I could read this one again and again! Mother, Mother, I want another! Little mouse wants another good night kiss, but his mother misinterprets his request to mean that he wants a another, different mother.
Edna
Baby wants another - another what? Another mother? Mother mouse searches for her community moms to come be a 2nd mom and they all try, but what is it that baby mouse really wants? Wonderfully illustrated and wonderfully cute.
Natalie Pietro
This book is one of my sons favorite books. He loves the pictures. He points at all the animals. He loves the little rhymes. This is going to be one of those books we read over and over again. Such a cute story.
Robyn
I still have my original copy of this in my nightstand and read it to my kids! Needless to say its falling apart a little! I think it was published in the late 60's. I love having my childhood books!
Esther
Miscommunication in a children's book! This book is cute to read for bedtime or to pass the time. It incorporates several different animals in the pictures for children to identify as well.
Chrissy
This was one of my favorites as a child. My Mom would read it to my brother and I before we went to bed. I think she read it at least 100 times. My brother always requested this one! Love it!
Shalana
This was an absolutely adorable book. My daughter loved it for her bedtime story last night. And of course she wanted all kinds of kisses to go along with it. A new fave!
Satin
This was an amazing book. I loved the way it shows how parents often misundersatnd their children. I would use this book to motivate students with issues in the home.
Jim
the illustrator for the edition i have is Diane Dawson, and the pictures are wonderful! don't know about the illustrations in the goodreads listed editions
jennifer graves
Cute book. Read in a mouse themed storytime. The kids seemed to like it & found parts funny, but the adults seemed to like it more. Sweet ending.
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Falling for Rapunzel
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Little Mouse and the Big Cupcake
  • Mommy, Carry Me Please!
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
Who Said Meow? Kitten in Trouble Biscotti & Other Low Fat Cookies: 65 Tempting Recipes for Biscotti, Meringues, and Other Low-Fat Delights Blue-Ribbon Pies: 75 of the Most Mouthwatering, Award-Winning Recipes from America's State, .... Here's That Kitten!