Start by marking “Rabbit's Gift” as Want to Read:
Rabbit's Gift

Rabbit's Gift

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Snow is coming, coming soon, so Rabbit needs to find food fast. Just in time, a turnip turns up, and a second one, too. Who in the woods wouldn't want to tuck away an extra turnip for the long winter? Not Rabbit. He chooses a different path--and starts a wave of generosity that spreadsamong all his forest friends.

Admired picture-book team George Shannon and Laura Dronzek h
Published November 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit's Gift

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise BrownGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Adventures of Bunny and Jody by Mandy GrayThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsLittle White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes
Best Picture Books about Rabbits
26th out of 96 books — 23 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
244th out of 317 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacquelyn
Genre: Folktale Reading level: Ages 3-7
Re-gifting, frowned upon during birthdays and holiday times, finds respect in this Chinese folktale. Rabbit is cold and hungry and knows that he must find food for the coming winter. When he finds a great treasure, an extra turnip, he graciously decides to share it with a friend. Donkey isn’t home, so Rabbit leaves the gift for him to find upon her return. Donkey is surprised by this generous donation, but feels that there might be someone who needs it more
Nke
This is a Chinese folktale where Rabbit is cold and hungry and knows that he must find food for the coming winter. When he finds a great treasure, an extra turnip, he graciously decides to share it with a friend. Donkey isn’t home, so Rabbit leaves the gift for him to find upon her return. Donkey is surprised by this generous donation, but feels that there might be someone who needs it more than she. Again, it is left outside the door for Goat is away. Goat fears that the turnip may have been lo ...more
Fjóla
As I opened the book I recognized the style of Laura Dronzek, a style we really liked in Birds. She's also drawn rabbits for Kevin Henkes (see Oh!). This is a very sweet tale of sharing. I like how the generosity replicates and spreads like a wave. While I didn't like it as immensely as Birds, in which the colors of the acrylics are just so satisfying, I really liked the message and it's definitely a book to recommend.
Maggie
CIP: " Woodland animals, each thinking of his neighbor, share a turnip left on their doorstep."

Rabbit's act of kindness is reciprocated by his woodland neighbors, and eventually comes full circle. A beautiful retelling of an ancient Chinese tale based on caring and compassion, and the gorgeous illustrations are a delight all their own. Appropriate for ages 3 up to 8, Rabbit's Gift would be useful in a project on compassion and sharing.

SLJ: Favorable review: "A terrific seasonal storyhour selecti
Lenise Jones
Shannon, G.& Dronzek, L.(2007). Rabbit's Gift Florida: Harcourt Books.
Picture Book Soak
Story about a Rabbit who discovers the meaning of paying it forward. Excellent book to teach K-3 about the importance of being a good citizen. While this picture book utilized words, the design of the illustrations make it possible for students to understand the story without reading the words. I loved this book and am thinking of buying it to save for my classroom when I become a teacher!
Jenny
I've read a version of this story before. I enjoyed this version as I felt it didn't use too many words to tell the simple story of characters thinking of others before themselves. It is sweet and fun for a little one to fill in the words that are repeated in the expected spots because everyone leaves the turnip on a neighbor's doorstep.
Meredith Kaupp
We were lucky enough to have Mr. Shannon visit our elementary school today. He is an excellent and engaging speaker. This is a lovely book about friendship, watching out for each other, and sharing.
Veronica
May 18, 2013 Veronica added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

I am definitely putting this book on my list. Not only that, but I absolutely loved it! The illustrations were beautiful, the story was different than most fable/parables/etc. Truly an originally creation.

It follows one kind deed that gives way to another and another. It could be interpreted as representing an ideal community/society(bit of a stretch, but...), but I think the main poi
The Reading Countess
This is a new book to the school library read to my youngest son's class for parent reading. The story of friendship and "pay it forward" is seen in this sweet story about animal friendship. Passing along a precious turnip, the animals discover that they are all one big family. The colorful yellow bird on most pages makes this a delightful book to share.
Dolly
Dec 23, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lovely Chinese fable about giving to others who are in need. The acrylic paint illustrations are colorful and the characters are cartoonish. We liked seeing the Chinese characters and appreciated the translation at the end of the story. It's a short and simple tale and we enjoyed reading it together.

Shelby Holloway
In this book the rabbit is preparing for the winter and searching for food. The rabbit finds one more nut that it needs so it displays kindness by sharing what he didn't need with other animals. In the end every animal shows kindness by passing the extra food to one another and it ends up back with rabbit.
Nichole
This is my favorite children's book i have read this semester. I would use this book in younger elementary school students to teach about sharing and caring about your neighbor. This book is a great way to teach good citizenship and caring to your young students.
Adriana Guillen
This cute little fable was enjoyable to me because it teaches anyone about sharing and how to grow as a caring and considerable person. If you care for others, others will care for you. I enjoyed reading it to my son, it is a great story to read to kids.
Amy
Another book for kids that adults can appreciate. The message is about giving & sharing. The story takes place on a wintry night when animals are looking for food. Very pretty illustrations make this a cozy bedtime book for a winter night.
Anne Boles
Dec 09, 2007 Anne Boles rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
The rabbit in this story starts out with an extra turnip, and winds up with a lot of friends.

read the rest
Kim
adorable illustrations, sweet story, preferred the print version; the e-book was sloppy

themes: animals, China, deer, donkeys, folktales, food, goats, rabbits, sharing, turnips, Winter
The Library Lady
Sweet illustrations. The story expresses the message of sharing and giving without driving home the moral with a sledgehammer, and is told in a way that is just right for preschoolers.
Kirsten
This is a very simple fable about sharing. Comfortingly repetitive text, lovely, simple illustrations. A nice read-aloud, but not spectacular in terms of audience engagement.
Jeff
What could be better than a bunch of animals sharing a radish? Wait until you check this Chinese Fable and learn the pleasure of giving.
Deborah
Another great find at the public library. I love the illustrations in it and all of my munchkins enjoy the humor of the story.
Amy Brown
Dec 02, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friendship, sharing
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
in this Chinese folktale, woodland animals, each thinking of his neighbor, share a turnip left on their doorstep.
Crystal
I enjoyed the story and the teaching of it. Not as happy about the rather vague attribution of the folktale.
Sandy
Mar 21, 2008 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents children
Shelves: childrens
It's a great book about sharing and giving. It's a very cute book and the illustrations are also great.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This was a simple but effective story illustrating how kindness comes back to the one who gives it.
Sbconstantine
My favorite story about sharing, making friends and being a good neighbor. Plus, I love turnips!
Kim Moody
I love this simple fable of generosity from China. I'll share it with my third graders this year!
Kristina Lareau
A story about giving and sharing.

Nothing special. Nothing offensive.
Angela
Great fable about animals helping each other in the snow.
Aileen
Dec 12, 2012 Aileen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A lovely story about sharing and giving.
Mary
Simple, not at all didactic, and lovely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • A Kitten Tale
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Angus and the Cat
  • Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • The Great Big Book of Families
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
White Is for Blueberry Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar? Tomorrow's Alphabet A Very Witchy Spelling Bee Turkey Tot