Start by marking “Henry the Dog with No Tail” as Want to Read:

a tail.

All the other dogs

he knew had tails.

Grady, a black Labrador,

had a great big black tail.

Pip, a pug, could do

tricks with her tail.

Larry had a big

puffy ball tail....

WHAT WAS

HENRY TO DO?
Published October 23rd 2007 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Henry the Dog with No Tail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry the Dog with No Tail

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Nov 01, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
We all have things that we wish for...but what do you do when you get what you think you want? Great lesson for young and old alike.
Lara's
Oct 15, 2008 Lara's rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents and children 3-5yrs.
Shelves: picture-books
Synopsis : What do you do when you want something so very, very much that you'll try just about anything to get it?
Review : I really, really wanted to love this book. I loved the idea of it and the illustrations were great. Henry is a dog without a tail. All of his buddies have a tail and some can even do some pretty impressive tricks with theirs. So, Henry goes to the tailor and has a tail made...(funny humor). However, once Henry receives his tail, which is really, quite unyieldingly long. H
Karen
Mar 21, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom
Ellie read to mom..krb 3/21/16
Kendall Bayer
Henry the Dog with no Tail tells the story of a dog named Henry who is very upset because he does not have a tail. All of his friends who have tails are able to use them for cool tricks but Henry feels as if he has no special talents and this makes him feel left out. One day, he decides that he needs to find a tail of his own once and for all. He sets out to go to the tailor thinking that he will have some tails. The tailor informs Henry that he does not sell tails but he offers to try to make h ...more
Deanna Vaughn
Jan 29, 2014 Deanna Vaughn rated it really liked it
I think this book is so cute. I loved the different puns they used such as Henry going to a "tailor" to help him find a tail. I also thought the ending was cute where Henry says it was good to be a dog without a tail but with a good tale. It is a really good book for a child who might have a disability or something that is different about them then their peers. This book could help them to realize that is is okay to be different and sometimes it isn't worth being like everyone else anyway. This ...more
Tonia Sandersfeld
Apr 29, 2016 Tonia Sandersfeld rated it it was amazing
I love Aussies, so this cute book about Henry, a dog who has no tail, is one of my favorites. Henry is really feeling down about himself because he doesn't have a "normal" tail like all of his doggy friends. So he sets off on a journey to try to get himself a tail. When it backfires, will Henry search for a new tail, or will he decide to be ok with who he is, the way he is? Fun book to teach kids about being ok with who they are, differences and all. Everyone is unique, which makes things more i ...more
Katherine
Dec 07, 2010 Katherine rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I thought about my dog who does not have a tail and thought that he might think this way to. This book is wonderful for accepting yourself for who you are no matter what you look like. If people have a problem with it, you shouldn't listen to them because you are perfect the way you are. It is a good way for children to relate this to themselves. Maybe they have something about themselves that they don't like, but they need to know it's okay! Good read!
SallyStenger
children's picture book by Kate Feffer with illustrations by Jules Feiffer. Pages are not numbered, appeared to be about 20 pages long. Dog is an Australian shepherd that doesn't have a tail. The lot revolves around the dog's desire to have a tail and how he tries to get a substitute tail. Finally concludes with the dog being happy without a tail. First he tries a long rope as a tail, then since it doesn't wag he adds a battery.
Caleb
Apr 20, 2009 Caleb rated it liked it
A Kate Feiffer-written, Jules Feiffer-illustrated dog book that preceded Which Puppy.The younger Feiffer's story has a few decent gags in it, including one that was so subtle that it was like 12 hours before I got why it was that Henry, the dog with no tail, visited a tailor and asked him to make him a tail. See, because he's a TAILor, like, a TAIL-er? Get it? Ha ha ha ha ha!
Heather
Jan 03, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
Bravo! A masterpiece! Brilliant! Ahead of its time! You'll laugh! You'll cry!

Any book starring a red merle Australian shepherd gets an automatic five stars from me.

Here's a photo of the author (but not the illustrator) with Henry.
Jillian Reed
Oct 15, 2012 Jillian Reed rated it it was amazing
Lesson learned: we are all made a certain way. We have things like certain talents and either lack certain abilities or have certain abilities because that's how we were made. There is nothing wrong with it and sometimes journeys occur so we can go through them to learn such lessons as self- acceptance/ loving.
Dolly
Apr 11, 2009 Dolly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
This is an odd story about a dog who really wants a tail. The illustrations are sketch-like watercolors and the narrative rambles a bit. There is some interesting word play (going to a tailor to get a tail), but overall, this book just doesn't seem to gel. It feels like a book in draft form.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 26, 2016 Joanne Roberts rated it liked it
Wanted to love this book, but it turned out less than memorable. Starts promising enough with a MC who is tail-less. His adventures are adorably illustrated, but the climax and ending left me a little bored. Read it for yourself. What am I missing?
Andrea Campbell
Jan 16, 2015 Andrea Campbell rated it liked it
Henry the dog wanted one thing in life which happened to be a tail. Henry goes out in search of a tail and throughout his journey he decides he is fine the way he is. This is a great book for self esteem and self acceptance.
Melissa Dwyer
Jun 02, 2015 Melissa Dwyer rated it really liked it
Originally Rated G+ by Julie Franks
A very silly tale about a dog with a fake tail. This should make the children laugh when they read about the silly things Henry does to get a tail and how it ends up showing all the other dogs (and Henry) that it is OK not to have a tail (Ok to be different).
Carol Jen
Jul 22, 2015 Carol Jen rated it liked it
I mostly picked this up because the dog's name is Henry :-) It was a cute story and has a good lesson to just love who you are.
Jennifer Ho
Apr 30, 2010 Jennifer Ho rated it liked it
A good book to use to teach children about feelings.
Helena
Feb 02, 2015 Helena rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Funny!
Nov 08, 2010 Sarah added it
Shelves: storytime
class visit
Melanie Swider
Love the play on words in this book and the lesson of being happy with who you are instead of wanting to be like everyone else.
Kathy
Feb 20, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Henry wants a tail. He gets a tailor to make him a tale but ultimately learns that life without a tail isn't so bad.
Michelle
Sep 20, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute but the drawings are a bit abstract for me
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
~*mandy*~
~*mandy*~ rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Zonia
Zonia rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Katie Darrin
Katie Darrin rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Hajnal
Hajnal rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 16, 2010
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Feiffer is the author of several children’s books, including Double Pink, illustrated by Bruce Ingman; President Pennybaker and My Mom Is Trying to Ruin My Life, both illustrated by Diane Goode; The Problem with Puddles, illustrated by Tricia Tusa; and Henry the Dog with No tail, illustrated by her dad, Jules Feiffer. She lives on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts.
More about Kate Feiffer...