Start by marking “Help!: A Story of Friendship” as Want to Read:
Help!: A Story of Friendship

Help!: A Story of Friendship

Mouse, Hedgehog, Rabbit, Squirrel, and Snake are friends. But one day Mouse hears from Skunk (who heard it from Fox) that snakes are dangerous, especially to mice.

Oh, dear!

Can friendship survive gossip? Should friends stick together, no matter what? And what do friends do when a friend is in trouble? Or when a friend has hurt feelings?

Do you know the answers? Mouse and Sna
Published August 21st 2007 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Help!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help!

The Library Lady
Feb 06, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Okay Caldecott pundits. Here's a book done by Holly Keller, who has been producing wonderful picture books for many years. And she's done this one in a lovely, creative art form that really enhances a sweet simple story. How about considering this for an award next year instead of some trendy hip novel or some non-fiction tome no kid will ever read and love?
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
This is a sweet story, but the text felt way too long. When *I* get bored reading it out loud to my daughter, I know it's too long! I'm also not a fan of the illustrations, although from the back flap I know they must have been a lot of work!
Katie
Nov 02, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
The message was a little bit too light for me. How could this be applied to human friendships?
Heidi-Marie
OK. I really like the pictures. They are the most adorable creatures. And I like seeing friends pull together to help. And even found it funny with how/what the creatures deliver some of their lines. But the emphasized message of friendship and not being prejudiced gets a little lost on me since I know that most snakes ARE dangerous to mice! Are we trying to convince kids otherwise? Eeek. I'm wary of this because there are so many not-good things in this world and we unfortunately have to teach ...more
Apr 14, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mouse has heard that snakes are dangerous to mice. he's concerned about his friend, Snake. Hedgehog tells him not to worry, but Mouse worries anyway - so much that he doesn't look where he's going and falls into a hole. How's he going to get out? All of his other forest friends have various reasons why they can't help. Who'll save the day? You guessed it!

This is fun and makes a good point about friendship (and how to say "thank you" after a good deed). I read Snake's part with a cowboy-style ac
Melanie
Hedgehog finds Mouse hiding under leaves one day. When Hedgehog asks why, Mouse tells him that he heard that their friend Snake is actually dangerous to mice. With Hedgehog's encouragement Mouse leaves his covering but is not paying attention where he's going and falls into a hole in the ground. No one can help him out so his friends go get their friend Snake who uses a stick to help Mouse out of the hole. Mouse feels so bad about what he said about Snake that the next day he brings Snake some f ...more
Alice
Dec 05, 2014 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars The message and moral of this book lovely. The artwork and textures...nicely done.

But..this book lies...yep...Mice and most snakes are not friends. It is possible that this type of snakes doesn't eat mice but snakes do eat mice, and for mice to be afraid of snake...is justified. I know too deep of analysis. BUT this book makes number 700 books for 2014 GOAL! Yeah for me!!! Thanks for the fun!!!
Rosa Cline
Dec 19, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Very good children's story to teach what "gossip" does to friends. When you choose to listen to things that had been told to someone then passed onto someone else. The mouse in the story all of a sudden becomes very afraid of his friend the snake. They have been friends for a long time but because of a rumor "gossip" he becomes very scared of the snake. In the end he learns that their friendship was always there.
Becky H.
Apr 28, 2008 Becky H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mouse is suddenly scared of his friend because one of his other friends told him snakes are dangerous. He runs from Snake without looking at where he is going Mouse falls into a deep hole. All of his friends try to help, but it is only Snake that can get him out. Great story about friendship and shows how damaging gossip can be.
Dolly
Jan 21, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2012
We really liked the illustrations in this story, with the varied textures and mixed media designs that look like colorful rubbings. And the message is good, too, about trusting in your friends and paying little heed to gossip. But the story itself was a bit flat. Overall, it's a good story, but not one of our favorites.
Meghan Hunt
Feb 09, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
A rumor is going around that snake wants to eat his friend mouse, so mouse is hiding. When mouse falls into a hole, snake is the only one that can help. The illustrations are really cute. The text may be borderline too long for a preschool storytime, but librarians could find a way to work around that.
Ashley
Oct 12, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it
2007
Fantasy
This is the story of young mouse who decided to believe some gossip. Mouse and snake have been friends for a long time. But skunk, told mouse that he should be afraid of snakes. Trying to hide from snake, mouse fell into a hole and hurt his foot and the only one who can save him is snake.
Gretchen
Jan 23, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-2-4
Taylor Troncin
Dec 27, 2015 Taylor Troncin rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2016-read
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

This was another night time book for Wesley and his dad. Wesley thought that the animals were funny.
Beth
Feb 06, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mouse heard from some tricksters that snakes are very dangerous to mice and tries to hide from his good friend snake. After falling down a deep narrow hole, there's only one friend who can help him...
Darlene
Apr 23, 2016 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: frienship
A beautiful story if friendship. Nice all around book. I like it for bedtime. My 4 yr old loved it (it got the immediate "read it again mommy" rating. Those are the real caldecott winners in my sons eyes.
Heidi
Mar 10, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-corner
Truly enjoyed this book which talks about fear and friendship along with a touch of gossiping among the animals!
Kristine
Apr 10, 2008 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Another great find on the library shelves. Great story of frienship and trust. My 4 year old loves it.
Courtney
This is a great book about friendship and not believing everything you hear. It would show children that just because someone says something, it doesn't make it true.
Liz
Aug 29, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Great illustrations! Creative art form used (and explained briefly). Good story of friendship and perhaps trust. (And don't always believe what you are told! Snake and mouse are friends...)
Frank
Apr 20, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
Frank really enjoyed this, and I think I read it to him almost every night this past week. I wasn't a big fan of the story or the illustrations...
Jody Lewandowski
Maybe storytime for 3+. Mouse is afraid based on hearsay, not experience. Experience shows him Snake IS his friend.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-2. Gossip has been circulating that snakes are dangerous-- especially for mice. And now mouse and snake are having trouble being friends. What could bring them together again?
Lea
Aug 26, 2011 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A basic story appropriate to preschoolers with morals about cooperation and not listening to gossip.
Vandy
Mar 01, 2010 Vandy added it
mouse has been warned by a fox that snakes are dangerous to mice. So mouse trips himself in to a hole out of fear and his friend snake rescues him...
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at a preschool class visit on 1/16/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Megan Higginson
Apr 09, 2016 Megan Higginson rated it really liked it
A wonderful simply told story of how gossip can ruin friendships, and how belief in that friendship can help heal that friendship... especially if one of the friends get into trouble.
Juliet Baker-Rice
Juliet Baker-Rice rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Smitten
  • Panda Kindergarten
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Old Bear and His Cub (Little Cub)
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Anansi and the Talking Melon
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Princess Katie and the Silver Pony (The Tiara Club, #2)
  • Tadpole Rex