Start by marking “Introducing Social Semiotics: An Introductory Textbook” as Want to Read:
Introducing Social Semiotics: An Introductory Textbook

Introducing Social Semiotics: An Introductory Textbook

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Social Semiotics is a lively introduction to the ways in which different aspects of modern society combine to create meaning. These 'semiotic resources' surrounding us include obvious modes of communication such as language, gesture, images and music, but also less obvious ones such as food, dress and everyday objects, all of which carry cultural value and significance. So ...more
Published December 29th 2004 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Social Semiotics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Social Semiotics

Tara Brabazon
I adore Theo Van Leeuwen's work. Without his words, alongside Gunther Kress and Bob Hodge, it would have been much more difficult for me as an historian to learn and think about semiotics. This new book is well structured and clear in its arguments. I am particularly impressed by the attention to multimodality. A full section (Part III) investigates multimodality, with the seconds on rhythm and composition absolutely outstanding.

Most of the books on social semiotics are intricate and complex. T
Rifda
Hmm, kalau boleh jujur.. lebih mudah baca tulisan Kress tentang visual design. Tapi itu karena pembahasan Kress fokus dan aku cukup familiar dengan istilah-istilah seputar format desain beserta detail-detail deskripsinya. Waktu belajar AACR pun sudah pernah belajar tentang cara deskripsi visual image, jadi mudah untuk pahami visual design-nya Kress.

Nah, buku ini tulisan Leeuwen (yang membantu Kress di visual design). Isinya lebih kompleks, tapi justru benar-benar membuatku belajar hal baru. Yang
Dedrick
I got this book, at first, to help learn more about symbols in communication. After some time, I lost interest in it. My interest was revitalized when I began to explore context and communication. This helped carry me through the rest of it. It is very academic and a bit dry. However, it has a lot to say about communication in many forms.
Negar
The author does a good job trying to simplify the content with definitions and lists and with applying ideas to real life examples. However, the fact that semiotics identifies every simple concept with some weird name makes it difficult to wade through. This isn't the author's fault, just too much academia in the field.
Benietzsche
semiotician not only inventorize semiotic sources, but create them.
Antony Leeuwenhoek
Antony Leeuwenhoek marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Neda Valizadeh
Neda Valizadeh marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Armando Picazo Rivas
Armando Picazo Rivas marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Jayati Grover
Jayati Grover marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Yen
Yen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Norbert
Norbert marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Dwi Retno
Dwi Retno marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Mantas
Mantas marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Eli U
Eli U marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ichenx
Ichenx added it
Nov 16, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 10, 2014
Keta Nicely
Keta Nicely marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Apr 09, 2015
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Handbook of Visual Analysis Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics Speech, Music, Sound Discourse and Practice: New Tools for Critical Discourse Analysis (Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics) The Language of Colour: An Introduction