Start by marking “Bear's First Christmas” as Want to Read:
Bear's First Christmas

Bear's First Christmas

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the dark of winter, deep in the woods, a lone bear is awakened from his winter sleep by a soft and mysterious sound. Under the stars the bear finds his way step by step through the snowy forest, making friends along his route. Then the bear discovers a place in the woods that glows magically with something he and his friends could never have imagined -- their first Chri ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear's First Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear's First Christmas

A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
143rd out of 797 books — 1,104 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
81st out of 322 books — 124 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Dec 07, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Little bear is sleeping through is first winter when he is awakened by a mysterious sound... on his way to investigate, he comes across a crow that is hungry. Bear shares his honeycomb with the crow and they set off together to find the source of the sound. Along the way, bear finds more woodland creatures in need of a helping paw, and they befriend him and follow him to find the magical sound. I won't spoil the surprise but suffice it to say Bear and his friends discover Christmas and find a wa ...more
Rosa Cline
Dec 05, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites, christmas
I absolutely feel in love with this book as my almost 3 year old granddaughter and I cuddle up and read it together. She enjoyed listening and looking at the beautiful illustrations and I enjoyed every word of the story. You may not knowtise it if you read it silently, but as you read it outloud you can pick up that you almost 'sing' the story to the tune of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". A little bear finds the 'light' of Christmas and in turn shares it with several wildlife friends; saving ...more
Lisa
Dec 05, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This story told in rhyme is an effective book for storytime. The rhythm of the rhyme reminded me of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." I used it with Kindergarten students and they had fun naming the rhyming words, or anticipating and filling in the blanks when I paused at the end of the obvious lines. It was an instructive book for using when teaching rhyming patterns to young children, and of course a nice holiday connection.
Dawn Early
Oct 06, 2013 Dawn Early rated it really liked it

Book Title: Bear’s First Christmas by Robert Kinerk

Short Description of the Book: Bear wakes up prematurely and he hears a sound. As he sets out on an adventure to find this sound, he makes many new friends. It is Christmas.

FOCUS: Narrative Features I would Use in a Mini-Lesson:
1 Narrative Structure: Kinerk use a poetic style when writing this book. The story rhymes as it unfolds.

2) Sequence of Events: Kinerk writes a sequence of events which lead to bear making friends, finding the sound, and
Lisa Vegan
Dec 18, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christmas or anytime; bear & animal & nature lovers who can enjoy a bit of fantasy
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I loved this book! Two thumbs up! 5 big and bright stars! Gushing praise from me!

So fuzzy and heartwarming. The illustrations are fabulous, just gorgeous. And the story rhyme begs to be read aloud. Both are wonderful and complement each other beautifully.

Bear is over the top good but it didn’t bother me, though I noted it. I loved all the animals. I get why the humans and their tree were there and how they made this a wonderful Christmas book, but it was the animals and natural world that drew m
Roxanne
Nov 02, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The artwork in this is really lovely, and the text has the perfect rhythm for reading aloud. My only qualm is that there's a bit too much emphasis on that Christmasy "glow", and I'm not sure my daughter got it, but she did love the animal friendships in this sweet story.
MissyDevoursDelishReads
Dec 22, 2012 MissyDevoursDelishReads rated it it was amazing
Our daughter received this book from her first grade teacher as a Christmas gift. All of the children got various books, and most teachers do give out books, how fitting. This one is a tad harder for our little one, she needed help reading quite a few words that just aren't in her every day vocabulary. Excellent illustrations, we both are very fond of bears, and these pictures of bears looked so fuzzy & soft, you almost wanted to snuggle up right with them!
Kristin H.
Oct 06, 2008 Kristin H. rated it really liked it
This book is wonderfully illustrated.I bought it for Carly's first Christmas. We have read it for two years now, and it is a sweet story about a little bear who is wandering through the forest. Along the way he meets many friends. As the bear is looking for his den he and his friends come upon a cabin that has just celebrated Christmas. He shares his den with all of his new friends, where they sleep throughout the rest of the winter.
Ronda
Dec 18, 2008 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Just read this book for the first time and used it with my K, 1st and 2nd graders today. They were spell-bound (though some of them did want to know where the bear's mother was). The rhyming text, the wonderful illustrations and a chance to discuss some things that happen in winter--made this much more than just a Christmas story--but it has the warmth and glow of a Christmas story as well. Lovely.
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, stories
I adore this illustrator's drawings of bears, and other animals in this sweet story were beautiful too.
Tricia
Dec 11, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
no matter how much i tried to spruce it up (ha ha, get it)...this christmas book wasn't flying at my house. even though the bear is adorable and all, i had to read it in two sittings cuz the girls were bored outta their gourds!
Amber
Mar 13, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
A very cute book about making new friends. I love the Illustrations. They were rendered in acrylic washes and colored pencil on acrylic water color paper.
Tammy
Dec 20, 2013 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Loved the illustrations, and the rhyming text, but the story was too long -- I don't think it would hold a childs attention.
Kristina
Jan 17, 2009 Kristina rated it it was amazing
I love the pictures and story to this book, my little one received it for her first Christmas it is a super cute book
Kieran
Nov 14, 2013 Kieran rated it it was amazing
I like how the bear helped the moose, the crow, and the pheasants.
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
The artworks is wonderful and the story very sweet.
Keeko
Dec 28, 2012 Keeko rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, sweet, and gentle. I wanted to hug them all.
Laura Komos
Dec 12, 2011 Laura Komos rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations accompany this beautiful story!
Teri
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrens-books
Really sweet childrens story
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Sharla Hansen
Sharla Hansen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Avery Ohnemus
Avery Ohnemus marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Ruth E. Phillips
Ruth E. Phillips rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Wes
Wes added it
May 08, 2016
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016