Start by marking “Bowman's Store: A Journey to Myself” as Want to Read:
Bowman's Store: A Journey to Myself

Bowman's Store: A Journey to Myself

Little "Sonny" Bruchac's childhood was full of secrets. He didn't know why he lived with his grandparents, who ran a gas station and general store, when his own parents' home was just up the road, or why his grandfather was so defensive about his dark skin. The precocious, sensitive boy knew only that his grandparents nurtured his love of books and wild things as surely as ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Lee & Low Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Bowman's Store, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bowman's Store

Samantha
Feb 03, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha by: Library Sciences Class
This autobiography was a moving story about unconditional love between Sonny and his grandparents, not fitting in with others, growing up, and the painfully strange relationship between Sonny and his mother and father. The hardships Sonny had to face with his father and mother growing up made me extremely grateful for my loving parents.

Joseph Bruchac writes about his own history from the time he can remember tagging along after his Grampa, hanging onto Grampa’s overalls, to when he is married a
Carol Surges
Aug 18, 2013 Carol Surges rated it really liked it
I had the fortunate and unforgettable experience of hearing the author speak at a conference in the 1990s. He, of course, shared stories with us, masterfully building tension and surprise into his stories. The audience was under his spell the entire time. His memoir weaves Native stories and culture into his life occurrences, blending the two into a neatly composed and well rounded look at his difficult youth.
Eden
Sep 27, 2013 Eden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like biographies, Fans of Joseph Bruchac
This is the biography of Joseph Bruchac, who is a Native American author of more than 100 books.

I've been a fan of Joseph Bruchac's since I read Skeleton Man for the first time, which was more than three years ago now. Since then, I've read a number of his books, but only over the summer, I found out that he had written a biography about his life.

I bought a copy as soon as I could and began reading it. I took my time though, which I normally don't do when I'm really enjoying a book.

Joseph, who
Vicki Carbone
Mar 20, 2016 Vicki Carbone rated it it was amazing
Bruchac's book, which is a memoir, is also a loving tribute to his grandparents, chiefly his grandfather, who raised him. His parents, particularly his father, seem to be a horror show, but his grandparents -- well, I sobbed out loud in my classroom in front of a class of 9th graders when his grandfather died. He seemed to be one of those rare people who graced the lives he touched. I am forever richer for having known him, albeit through the words of his grandson. It is a beautiful, touching ...more
Rena Jane
May 11, 2016 Rena Jane rated it it was amazing
Bruchac artfully begins every chapter with an Abenaki, or other Native culture story, setting a theme and purpose for the story he's telling about his own years of growing up with his grandparents.

I thoroughly enjoyed his book. He is an interesting and complicated person and his experiences infuse his writing with some of the challenges he's faced and survived.

Makes me want to read more of his work.
Dana C.
Jan 09, 2012 Dana C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-reads
I love Joseph Bruchac novels for YA. This autobiography is a loving description of sometimes abusive family relationships. His forgiveness for adult decisions that affected his childhood and punctuated with realistic descriptions of searing events.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 09, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
Author Joseph tells stories of growing up while living with his grandpaarents and dwelves into his Native American Heritage. Free copy from publishers.
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2009
Duane Poncy
Duane Poncy rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2010
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2008
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2008
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Valerie Prevosnak
Valerie Prevosnak rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Carol Bachofner
Carol Bachofner rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Denise Ortakales
Denise Ortakales rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2010
Laretta
Laretta rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Mitchell Thornton
Mitchell Thornton rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Tori
Tori rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Irene
Irene rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Lincolnwood Public LIbrary
Lincolnwood Public LIbrary rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Katherine Totten
Katherine Totten rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2009
Alice Azure
Alice Azure rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2011
Julie Albright
Julie Albright rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Bruchac lives with his wife, Carol, in the Adirondack mountain foothills town of Greenfield Center, New York, in the same house where his maternal grandparents raised him. Much of his writing draws on that land and his Abenaki ancestry. Although his American Indian heritage is only one part of an ethnic background that includes Slovak and English blood, those Native roots are the ones by ...more
More about Joseph Bruchac...