Start by marking “Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)

Vengeance of Orion (Orion #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Orion finds himself thrust back to the ancient world of Greece and must prevent the Greek army from destroying the citadel of Troy. If he fails, he will lose the only woman he has ever loved. But if he succeeds, the history of the world will be changed forever. The stunning sequel to Orion.
Published December 8th 1988 by Mandarin (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance of Orion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance of Orion

An Odd1
Orion narrates his sudden awakening as a slave. He lays seige to Troy with Odysseus, brings down the walls of Jericho, and raises rightful Prince Aramset to power of Pharoah in Egypt. But the Greek "gods" are only powerful future humans: Apollo his master, Athena his beloved. The enlivening of long adored mythology, into a single tale, is beyond thrilling, mired by divine entanglements. (Name spellings are tricksy, maybe blame Greeks, not Bova.)

Does a hero lie to both sides who entrust him to ne
Chuck
This is probably my favorite of the Orion series so far. I've had a hell of a time getting hold of all the novels since they're out of print.

But this has the all the really great elements of the Orion books. Orion continues his travels through time, seemingly at the mercy of the powerful beings who claim to have created both him and the human race and who have godlike powers, but who are nonetheless as petty and as scheming as mere mortals.

If this reminds anyone of Greek mythology, it should; i
Harry
Definitely better than the first! I really like the character development of Orion in this book. In the first one he was simply a machine for a task. He tried to rebel against the Gods but failed. What I like about this book is that he is no longer transported by the gods. His anger has taught him to battle the gods, and by the end (in Egypt) we see that he has finally risen to the point where humans treat him as a god. I'm currently reading the next one, and I'm guessing Set will teach him, unk ...more
Bookstooge
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer.

For the rest of my review, please visit:
Thomas Wiest
This was an interesting follow up to the original. Instead of skipping around in time, he skips around the middle east. I really liked how defiant the protagonist was in this book, it made me really relate. I really liked when Orion said something to the affect of "You're not gods, you just have better technology."
Jeff Stockett
There are two things I love about the Orion books.

I love Orion's character, his near super human abilities, his desire to do the right thing coupled with his very human feelings of anger and vengeance.

The second thing I love is the rewriting of history. I love to experience the familiar stories but from a different perspective, a retelling that fills in the gaps that have been lost to history and gives a plausible explanation.

This book has plenty of both. We get to know Orion even better, we ge
Andreas
Widely considered to be Bova’s masterpiece, I never really figured out these books (and yet for some reason I read three of them). Our titular hero loses his memory, fights evil as he jumps back and forth in different eras of past and future. These jumps are more or less out of his control. He constantly loses and regains his beloved. The first book is decent, but after that it’s really just rinse and repeat and they blend into each other in my memory. I gave up after book three.

Linda
This second book of Bova's Orion series falls on the line between science fiction and fantasy. The historical aspects of the book are quite interesting and held my attention, but the characters are all fairly one dimensional. It's a book I wanted to like more but it fell short of its potential
Shamesdean
Orion finds himself thrust into the middle of the Trojan was by his Golden mystical oppressor. A great Sci-Fi historical type novel. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Robert
May 25, 2013 Robert added it
Outside of historical and theological inaccuracies this book was a pleasant diversion.
~eljefe
Jun 07, 2007 ~eljefe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci/Fi Action
Good ol' fun action sci/fi, blending mythology with civilization historicity.
Allen Petro
Not as good as the first Orion Book, but still a great read.
Michael
Much better than the first book.
Jonathan
Enjoyable trawl through history.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
David Ramalho
David Ramalho is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jan 11, 2015
Jim Pike
Jim Pike marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Tammy Jamea
Tammy Jamea marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Songsmythe
Songsmythe marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Rubicon (Sentinels, No 5)
  • Burning Bright
  • Design for Great-Day
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Digital Knight
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Winged Pharaoh
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • The Green Hills of Earth / The Menace from Earth
  • For the Love of Philae
  • The Anubis Murders
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Orion (6 books)
  • Orion (Orion, #1)
  • Orion In The Dying Time (Orion, # 3)
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • Orion Among the Stars (Orion, # 5)
  • Orion and King Arthur (Orion, #6)
Mars The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A Jupiter Venus Return to Mars