Start by marking “Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)

Vengeance of Orion (Orion #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Orion finds himself thrust back to the ancient world of Greece and must prevent the Greek army from destroying the citadel of Troy. If he fails, he will lose the only woman he has ever loved. But if he succeeds, the history of the world will be changed forever. The stunning sequel to Orion.
Published December 8th 1988 by Mandarin (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance of Orion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance of Orion

An Odd1
May 28, 2013 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Orion narrates his sudden awakening as a slave. He lays seige to Troy with Odysseus, brings down the walls of Jericho, and raises rightful Prince Aramset to power of Pharoah in Egypt. But the Greek "gods" are only powerful future humans: Apollo his master, Athena his beloved. The enlivening of long adored mythology, into a single tale, is beyond thrilling, mired by divine entanglements. (Name spellings are tricksy, maybe blame Greeks, not Bova.)

Does a hero lie to both sides who entrust him to ne
Chuck
Sep 25, 2008 Chuck rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite of the Orion series so far. I've had a hell of a time getting hold of all the novels since they're out of print.

But this has the all the really great elements of the Orion books. Orion continues his travels through time, seemingly at the mercy of the powerful beings who claim to have created both him and the human race and who have godlike powers, but who are nonetheless as petty and as scheming as mere mortals.

If this reminds anyone of Greek mythology, it should; i
Sunny
Mar 29, 2014 Sunny rated it really liked it
Definitely better than the first! I really like the character development of Orion in this book. In the first one he was simply a machine for a task. He tried to rebel against the Gods but failed. What I like about this book is that he is no longer transported by the gods. His anger has taught him to battle the gods, and by the end (in Egypt) we see that he has finally risen to the point where humans treat him as a god. I'm currently reading the next one, and I'm guessing Set will teach him, unk ...more
Thomas Wiest
Oct 10, 2014 Thomas Wiest rated it really liked it
This was an interesting follow up to the original. Instead of skipping around in time, he skips around the middle east. I really liked how defiant the protagonist was in this book, it made me really relate. I really liked when Orion said something to the affect of "You're not gods, you just have better technology."
Jeff Stockett
Sep 21, 2013 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
There are two things I love about the Orion books.

I love Orion's character, his near super human abilities, his desire to do the right thing coupled with his very human feelings of anger and vengeance.

The second thing I love is the rewriting of history. I love to experience the familiar stories but from a different perspective, a retelling that fills in the gaps that have been lost to history and gives a plausible explanation.

This book has plenty of both. We get to know Orion even better, we ge
Andreas
Mar 26, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok
Widely considered to be Bova’s masterpiece, I never really figured out these books (and yet for some reason I read three of them). Our titular hero loses his memory, fights evil as he jumps back and forth in different eras of past and future. These jumps are more or less out of his control. He constantly loses and regains his beloved. The first book is decent, but after that it’s really just rinse and repeat and they blend into each other in my memory. I gave up after book three.

Linda
Jul 16, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok
This second book of Bova's Orion series falls on the line between science fiction and fantasy. The historical aspects of the book are quite interesting and held my attention, but the characters are all fairly one dimensional. It's a book I wanted to like more but it fell short of its potential
Shamesdean
Jul 30, 2013 Shamesdean rated it it was amazing
Orion finds himself thrust into the middle of the Trojan was by his Golden mystical oppressor. A great Sci-Fi historical type novel. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Robert
May 25, 2013 Robert added it
Outside of historical and theological inaccuracies this book was a pleasant diversion.
~eljefe
Jun 07, 2007 ~eljefe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci/Fi Action
Good ol' fun action sci/fi, blending mythology with civilization historicity.
Allen Petro
Jul 07, 2008 Allen Petro rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first Orion Book, but still a great read.
Michael
Apr 19, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Much better than the first book.
Jonathan
Aug 16, 2007 Jonathan rated it liked it
Enjoyable trawl through history.
Ed Cline
Ed Cline rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Colin Playford
Colin Playford marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Colscimitar
Colscimitar marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
A
A added it
May 10, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
AJ Beirens
AJ Beirens rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Kieren
Kieren marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Mighty Good Road
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • The Final Nightmare (Robotech, Second Generation, #9)
  • Design for Great-Day
  • The Blue Hawk
  • The Storm of Heaven (Oath of Empire #3)
  • Winged Pharaoh
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • Digital Knight
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Wisdom's Daughter
  • For the Love of Philae
  • The Anubis Murders
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Orion (6 books)
  • Orion (Orion, #1)
  • Orion In The Dying Time (Orion, # 3)
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • Orion Among the Stars (Orion, # 5)
  • Orion and King Arthur (Orion, #6)