The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)

The Arctic Event (Covert-One #7)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,226 ratings  ·  108 reviews
On a remote island in the Canadian Arctic, researchers discover the wreckage of a mysterious World War II-era aircraft, a discovery that forces the Russian Federation into a shocking admission. The unmarked plane is a Soviet strategic bomber that disappeared with its crew more than fifty years ago while carrying two metric tons of weaponized anthrax.

Desperate to prevent a...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Hachette Audio (first published 2007)

Tony Fisher
A very good action packed book for pure escapism. The story is set in the northern canadian waters on a isolated island and is set around a 50 year old mysteriously crashed USSR bomber at the start of the cold war. What had been the 'mission' and why was it carrying a cargo of anthrax? The bomber was found by a survey team, resulting in a joint investigation team of 3 americans and a russian Air Force Major setting out to reach the island. Why is a 'crack' platoon of russian soldiers dropped by...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
This book is part of a series created by Robert Ludlum but written by James Cobb. Confusing isn't it? James Patterson does a similar thing by co-authoring many of his books now, but forgive me for being old fashioned, but if it's Robert Ludlum's series, shouldn't it have been written by him alone? I don't believe writers should continue to write a book series after an author's death.

Okay, now that's off my chest, let me tell you I enjoyed this book. Recommended by a family member, I struggled wi...more
Eddy Allen
cc:

Desperate to prevent a political and diplomatic firestorm, the U.S. president dispatches a Covert-One team led by Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith to...more
Cdh0061
The action in this book was very well described, very immaculate in detail, and extremely gritty to boot. The plot is well conceived and the isolation makes it all a little more believable. James H. Cobb seems to be a very good addition to the pantheon of covert-one novelists.
Lbd
I love covert one! This one had a lot of possibilities that could have happened. Cobb has done a good job at picking up the thread and style of Ludlum. I hope there will be more covert one novels.
Bobat Chearsdotorg
A good page-turner to keep you distracted on a long airplane or automobile journey. Features a knife-wielding agent who could be Jason Bourne's twin sister.
Spencer
good story and interesting main character. there are a couple suggestions around violent sexual scenes so not a book for kids
Anna
I have yet not found a Ludlum I wouldn't have liked.
Although the pre-Covert One ones are my favorites, this one was just what I needed. Ludlum like action, perfect for travel (or when you wish you were traveling).
James Cobb's writing style at least in this book is quite a bit like Clive Cussler. A bit more science than a basic Ludlum, but that fit perfectly this Covert One story. There's also an awesome claustrophobic atmosphere of the arctic island, and less moving in different countries or lo...more
Paula Howard
I really wanted to give this a 4.5. All and all it was a good story line. My problem with the books is I felt that is didn't really follow in the mode of Robert Ludlum. Short of the names of the Covert One agents, it didn't necessarily read as a Ludlum Covert One book.

Covert One is called on once again to come to the aid of the country. A plane has been found off Wednesday Island. While it may look American it is actually Russian.

Klein calls on Jon Smith to lead the mission. He is joined by an...more
Komet
A Cold saga called "Arctic Event"

Aah, people have often recommended Robert Ludlum to me as the best thriller author. But as the fate would have it, I've never before now had a chance to get my hands on him, thats before Arctic Event that is. Well one could very well argue that Arctic Event is not a real Ludlum novel, as it is a series that the Master author created and his apprentice continued it as a series. So here we go with my review:

The book start of with an epilogue, about 50 years from th...more
Anthony
When I first started reading this particular series, it was because of the original author, Robert Ludlum. I became a fan from his character Jason Bourne. Then I had decided to expand my curiosity of his other character,Jon Smith. The Arctic Event, is his 7th thriller in the series now, and co-written by James H. Cobb. Of all the books that I have read in this series, this has become one of my favourites.

The character, Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith normally works alone by his own personal habits...more
Jeswin
3 stars.
Long back when I read the first Covert-One book I realized I had something like gold in my hands. Anybody who has read Ludlum as much as I have would know that some or most of his books in recent times mirror plot lines from his previous books back in the day.

And then I saw the movie, of the first book and I was like wow maybe they shouldn't have. Ludlum is gone. His books still continue to be written by other authors. Eric van Lustbader continues the Bourne series in less than lackluste...more
Thee_ron_clark
In the Arctic Event, a scientific study group in Canada discovers a crashed plane. It turns out that this plane is a Soviet bomber with an anthrax payload that disappeared in the fifties.

A team of American covert specialists and one Soviet liason is dispatched to the island to ensure the anthrax is retrieved before it falls into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, the Soviet governments has other secrets to conceil from the Americans and have put alternative plans into motion in case the crash sight...more
Fredrick Danysh
The president has sent a covert team led by Lt. Col. Jon Smith to investigate apparent World War II wreckage of an aircraft. They must compete with a Russian team of agents for the prize.
Jeff Yoak
The Arctic Event has the best story since the early novels in the series created by Robert Ludlum. The characters and style of the novel seem more divergent to the point that it is almost like reading an independent work, but I really did like the story. I had been on the fence as to whether to acquire The Infinity Affair when it comes out later this month, but I think Cobb is doing an excellent job with the series and so I do plan to.
Denise M. Hartman

This book was hard to get into or I would have given it more stars. The tension and excitement at the end are worth 4 or 5 stars but that first 60 pages or so to get going brings me down to 3 stars. I did enjoy the characters and think I wwould try one of these Robert Ludlum´s written by... again sometime. The scenario of the arctic was interesting and exciting for the setting. You could feel it at times. The characters were interesting. Their amazing mastery of their weapons was enviable if no...more
Abhilasha
This book is part of the Covert-one series, thriller novels by Robert Ludlum along with various other authors. Covert one is a top-secret agency of US that comprises of various experts who fight conspiracy at the highest level that might result into potentially fatal encounters for the world should it succeed.

Although a sloppy start, story builds up well mid-way with some strong revelations of conspiracy and charaters. Mystery, action, adventure well balanced with trivial human emotions. All in...more
GM
One of the best books in the whole series!
Jim
I give 5 of 5 stars to the Arctic Action novel Arctic Event by Robert Ludlum. A cold-war era Russian aircraft crash in the Arctic circle on an island north of Hudson Bay leads to a modern day thriller complete with international terrorists, the Russian Federation having two teams working different agendas and our heros right in the middle without much help or support. Suspenseful, exciting and unpredictable are words I’d use to explain why I enjoyed this audiobook. I continue to be a big fan of...more
Tim Maguire
Read this one January 2008
Calvin Chan
Very good book if you love action packed/thriller/military scenes. Finished this book within a few weeks, its a lengthy book but fighting scenes like the team of four americans vs. the spetznas kept me from going to sleep. This book moves by at a very fast pace due to the descriptive details that just make you want to read more after learning about the new characters and missions. Lots of unexpected twists and turns in this book. Oh, and you'll get a addicted after the first 50 pages. Something...more
Joel Woudstra
I thought it was worthwhile to read, but it didn't grab my attention like some other books I've read. It was a fairly interesting read, but nothing out the ordinary. The only thing that made this book decent was because of the situation all the characters were in while they were going through their struggles. They were all in the Arctic and in extremely cold weather so some parts of the book were a little tense and fun to read.

The book wasn't anything special or out of the ordinary, but still wo...more
Gary Barrentine
Exciting with lots going on.
Conrad
Book Ludlum wrote with someone else. Have not read anything before by this incredibly popular author. Writing is very movie script like, and I have enjoyed the "Bourne" action series of movies, so that makes sense. Plot is believable and suspenseful. Characters are not one dimensional, but still seem less than fully developed. I gave it 3 stars instead of two because in spite of the character depth, I was curious about how the story would turn out. It had a real plot and engaging plot.
Anand
This is a Covert One series novel, and it is Ludlumish only to the extent of the series being created by him. On merits, the plot is unique and the suspense build up well. May get a little confusing as to whether it is a techo-thriller or an international-espionage kind of a deal, but it is a good story to read. Enjoyable; will recommend if you like the idea of an almost-happened, history changing kind of an event, with US-USSR subterfuge as the background.
BoekenTrol
I had high expectations about this book, since I like Ludlum's books in general.
This book however, did not really catch me. I had no urge to read the book to the end. I did that, but it is not a book that stays with me for a long time.
To tell the thruth, I don't know the exact reason for that. Is it the story, is it the way of writing (or im my case, the translation) I can't tell you. It was just fairly predictable and I was disappointed by that.
Ruth Niles
Great story, lots of action. I thought it was written by Ludlum when I got it but was not disappointed in James Cobb's writing. It's about a Russian plane that crashed over fifty years ago but still contains it's cargo of anthrax. The Covert One team consists of 2 women and Colonel Jon Smith along with a Russian officer who you're never quite sure if he's a good guy or not. The action went right to the end and even the epilogue was good! : )
Anthony
A simple adventure story with a black-ops covert team, like Remo Williams, taking on serious
threats to the U.S. and the World. The main reason for the two stars are the Arctic location which offered some interesting scenarios and conflict situation scenes. The characters were unbelievable, wooden, and cliché.

If you have time to waste, pick it up as a quick read but don't expect anything above ok.
Peter
A Ludlum Series novel involving wwII intrigue in the modern arctic...a race to discover and uncover a serious plot that has impact on modern day evolution of the North West passage...actually written by James H. Cobb, this book has all the Ludlum elements...action, paper thin good and bad guys and a sense of western right and might vs forces intent on destroying the world we live in.
Marie Godley
I was worried when I started this book that I wouldn't be able to continue, because the first chapters kept dodging about as people and events got introduced but my instinct told me that once they were settled the story would be good. Happily I was proved right. At times it's not for the faint hearted but the story is good and the action fast.
help! 1 16 Dec 12, 2010 03:11PM
  • Robert Ludlum's (TM) The Janson Command
  • Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne, #10)
  • Dark Justice
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • The Last Spymaster
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Shadow Command (Patrick McLanahan, #14)
Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1) Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2) Sea Fighter (Amanda Garrett, #3) Target Lock (Amanda Garrett, #4) West on 66