Start by marking “The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror” as Want to Read:
The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror

The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  7 reviews
With the CIA at the core of the war on terror, no agency is as important to preserving America's freedom. Yet the CIA is a closed and secretive world-impenetrable to generations of journalists-and few Americans know what really goes on among the spy masters who plot America's worldwide campaign against terrorists.

Only Ronald Kessler, an award-winning former Washington Post
Published September 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The CIA at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The CIA at War

Susan
I read this years ago (and am updating my list here so I can move away from my written record of books read) and generally enjoyed it. It isn't deep and is likely out of date by now, but it educated me on the CIA and its involvement in the Iraq war.
Tyler Vaughn
fascinating read
Blake
Oct 22, 2008 Blake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in intelligence and security studies.
"The CIA At War" is an update to Mr. Kessler's previous work on the CIA, "Inside the CIA", which brings the reader into the immediate post-9/11 timeframe as well as the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. I found this work a little disappointing. It is largely reprinted material from "Inside the CIA" and the newer material was relatively small. Moreover, the newer material focuses on the biography of George Tenet and does not delve into the current activities of the Agency.
Kevin McKenzie
This book reads like a psychological rundown on past executive figures of the CIA- it lacks substance and is loosely written and sourced. I could not finish it, as I didn't see the point. I would recommend Robert Baer or Legacy of Ashes for an in-depth look at the War on Terror on the intelligence spectrum.
Shauna
Jake thought this would provide a look at the history of the CIA. It was instead written by a Bush apologist before Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo issues came to light
Mat Domaradzki
Interesting read about the intelligence community, it just bounced around a lot.
Jen
I liked the book and learned a lot, but I thought it lacked a reader friendly flow.
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Kiki Glover
Kiki Glover marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Sapito
Sapito marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Saurabh Dongre
Saurabh Dongre marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jatayudasa
Jatayudasa marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Maryisis
Maryisis marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ammn Tan
Ammn Tan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Reed Livergood
Reed Livergood marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Lin John
Lin John marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • The Book of Honor: Covert Lives and Classified Deaths at the CIA
  • At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
  • Jawbreaker: The Attack on Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda: A Personal Account by the CIA's Key Field Commander
  • A Look Over My Shoulder: A Life in the Central Intelligence Agency
  • The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA
  • Hunting the Jackal: A Special Forces and CIA Soldier's Fifty Years on the Frontlines of the War Against Terrorism
  • The Very Best Men: The Daring Early Years of the CIA
  • Confessions of a Spy
  • Understanding Terror Networks
  • Imperial Hubris: Why the West Is Losing the War on Terror
  • Intelligence in War: Knowledge of the Enemy from Napoleon to Al-Qaeda
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam
  • Man Without A Face: The Autobiography Of Communism's Greatest Spymaster
In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect The Secrets of the FBI The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of the Presidents Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady Inside the CIA